Random Thoughts. The Return.

Strider

3 hours ago, Strider said:

Therefore defeating the purpose of a double-album. I mean, "Boogie with Stu" would not have worked on a single album but as part of a double LP, it has its charm and place.

The whole point of a double album is for a band to spread out and try anything goofiness...the sprawl is part of the fun of the journey.

True, but I do not believe those filler tunes were outtakes of prior album sessions. Rather strange experimentations done during the White Album sessions. Boogie with Stu is a fun song with a nice little groove, Revolution #9 is what some self-indulgent 20 year old does on ProTools when he / she  / them are bored.

Just my opinion, do not mean to offend.

11 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

I was wondering what's the greatest double-album of all time, aside from the obvious answer of Graffiti...

The first two I thought of were Sign O the Times and The Wall....

The soundtrack to The Song Remains the Same.

5 hours ago, Strider said:

Blonde on Blonde. The White Album. Electric Ladyland. Exile on Main St. Sign O' the Times. All in the conversation with Physical Graffiti. The Wall...not so much.

All of these (also minus The Wall) plus, for me:

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Jesus Christ Superstar

Judy at Carnegie Hall

Benny Goodman at Carnegie Hall

48 minutes ago, JohnOsbourne said:

The soundtrack to The Song Remains the Same.

That’s a great pick as well. The older I get the more I appreciate that performance. There are songs from each year that I prefer in their live performances. By all the band members. While some may have suffered as the band aged, some songs were performed in my opinion much better. However, hands down the PG is the greatest double album ever. I don’t give a shit what any magazine has to say. It’s not even close. There are some 90’s bands/artists/musicians that had a few good double albums as well. Smashing Pumpkins Melloncolly was a great double album, 2pac All Eyez on me was a great double album. Rancid had a good one as well. And Nine inch Nails also had a great double album in my opinion. 

Also on a random thought. The word Artist is thrown around way to much. You can be a musician and not be an artist. Playing an instrument does not make you an artist. I can play, and there is no way I consider it Art. And I’m a massive hip hop fan. Huge. And there are some rappers that are without a doubt artists. Then there are predominantly most who are not. I could be wrong and all music is art. 

Alright, let’s not talk on the phone in a restaurant. Get off the F&c$ing phone. Or go outside. And please people, stop blowing your nose while seated at your table. That’s a bodily function! Damn it.Go to the bathroom to do that.  Have some respect, I don’t want to hear you shooting out snot rockets while I’m trying to eat. I also don’t want to hear you talk to you daughter, or wife, or whoever. None of us do. Have some class for crying out loud! 

Also, being that I’m in a shitty mood. When you are at the gym, please wipe your station down. I don’t want to feel your sweaty 🥵 back on me. 

Alright, out of my system. In the words of Jackie Moon “ EVERYONE LOVE EVERYONE”! 

57 minutes ago, ebk said:

All of these (also minus The Wall) plus, for me:

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Jesus Christ Superstar

Judy at Carnegie Hall

Benny Goodman at Carnegie Hall

Great call on Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, ebk.

Another of my retro revisits is Frampton Comes Alive!
Takes me back to my teenage days and running pretty much full throttle.
Actually, Zeppelin had me running full throttle.

Edited by jabe

Fess up.
Who still has yesteryear crumbs of doob in their double albums?
The perfect vehicle to put in a small pile of weed, tilt at a slight angle, use your preferred pack of rolling papers to guide 
the seeds to the spine of the album.
Now that takes me way back....

17 minutes ago, hummingbird69 said:

I believe his go to is a midi device with thousands of sounds

👍

I have a pedal made by Walrus called the 'Slo' pedal which gives some dreamy effects. Just haven't messed with it that much. He does a good review on it.

2 hours ago, Plant77 said:

Alright, let’s not talk on the phone in a restaurant. Get off the F&c$ing phone. Or go outside. And please people, stop blowing your nose while seated at your table. That’s a bodily function! Damn it.Go to the bathroom to do that.  Have some respect, I don’t want to hear you shooting out snot rockets while I’m trying to eat. I also don’t want to hear you talk to you daughter, or wife, or whoever. None of us do. Have some class for crying out loud! 

Also, being that I’m in a shitty mood. When you are at the gym, please wipe your station down. I don’t want to feel your sweaty 🥵 back on me. 

Alright, out of my system. In the words of Jackie Moon “ EVERYONE LOVE EVERYONE”! 

Damn right to all of the above, nothing but an errant tribe of savages out there, no balls, no love, and no class.

Now, as for them double-albums and it is a hard one:

(not including PG of course)

Sign-o' the Times

Melloncollie & the Infinite Sadness

Bitches Brew

17 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

I was wondering what's the greatest double-album of all time, aside from the obvious answer of Graffiti...

Love The Wall.

Also 

Goodbye yellow brick road

The war of the the worlds

15 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

^^ I have to agree--not that I hate the song--but I was trying to imagine Boogie With Stu being on the fourth album & I can't think of anywhere it could fit (imagine it following STH). On PG though, it seems more at home....

Yup, I've tried with my playlists to include Boogie on IV but it doesn't work. Even given it's similarity to RnR, it just doesn't fit. As far as double albums go, I have to agree with Strider in the sense that they allow a band to put out more experimental stuff for their fans - or tell a looong story like The Wall and Tommy do. The best double albums are live albums, IMO.   

10 hours ago, Plant77 said:

That’s a great pick as well. The older I get the more I appreciate that performance. There are songs from each year that I prefer in their live performances. By all the band members. While some may have suffered as the band aged, some songs were performed in my opinion much better. However, hands down the PG is the greatest double album ever. I don’t give a shit what any magazine has to say. It’s not even close. There are some 90’s bands/artists/musicians that had a few good double albums as well. Smashing Pumpkins Melloncolly was a great double album, 2pac All Eyez on me was a great double album. Rancid had a good one as well. And Nine inch Nails also had a great double album in my opinion. 

Also on a random thought. The word Artist is thrown around way to much. You can be a musician and not be an artist. Playing an instrument does not make you an artist. I can play, and there is no way I consider it Art. And I’m a massive hip hop fan. Huge. And there are some rappers that are without a doubt artists. Then there are predominantly most who are not. I could be wrong and all music is art. 

Both good calls. Smashing Pumpkins last stand as the original line up. I also enjoyed the Red Hot Chili Peppers "Stadium Arcadium" double disc. 

28 minutes ago, Walter said:

Yup, I've tried with my playlists to include Boogie on IV but it doesn't work. Even given it's similarity to RnR, it just doesn't fit. As far as double albums go, I have to agree with Strider in the sense that they allow a band to put out more experimental stuff for their fans - or tell a looong story like The Wall and Tommy do. The best double albums are live albums, IMO.   

My two favorite live albums (besides TSRT of course),

Ted Nugent "Double Live Gonzo"

Rush "All the World's a Stage"

Also, the Japanese extended version of Judas Priest "Unleashed in the East". 

On 3/9/2022 at 8:22 AM, paul carruthers said:

Leaving aside Physical Graffiti, my choices would be Electric Ladyland, Dave Brubeck Quartet at Carnegie Hall, Blonde on Blonde, and All Things Must Pass (though that's really a triple album).

Edited by Electrophile

12 hours ago, jabe said:

Fess up.
Who still has yesteryear crumbs of doob in their double albums?
The perfect vehicle to put in a small pile of weed, tilt at a slight angle, use your preferred pack of rolling papers to guide 
the seeds to the spine of the album.
Now that takes me way back....

Still do :D

3 minutes ago, Stryder1978 said:

LMAO...why am I not surprised!  Good on ya!

Why change the habits of a lifetime? However these days I tend to use a mixing bowl for that smooth effect ;)

You also have quoted 3 very excellent live albums:

Ted, DP and Rush. Nearly agree on Rainbow but strictly speaking it could have fitted on a single album