Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Steve, do you have any information on why Tony Thompson was selected to be the drummer for Zep for Live Aid. He didn't drum for Plant on any of his solo ventures, so his selection is a mystery to me. Apologies if this has been addressed earlier in the thread.

Great question. Unsure if Thompson himself ever provided an anecdote but I suspect his name immediately came

up as a possible replacement for John Bonham given The Power Station, the band he was in at the time, were also set to perform at the event. Thompson had worked with Nile Rodgers in Chic a few years prior, and in May 1985 Robert Plant recorded with Rodgers in NYC for The Honeydrippers project so perhaps Rodgers encouraged

the selection.

Phil Collins was brought in quite unneccesarily as a second drummer, undoubtedly as either a personal favor to

him or at the behest of the event's organizers. Collins of course performed in Wembley and Philadelphia that day. Unfortuntely, Led Zeppelin's set was well under-rehearsed, with Collins looking to Thompson for cues.

In any event, Thompson was a versatile, much in demand session drummer known for his loud playing style

which may also have led to his selection for the Led Zeppelin rehearsals in Bath in January 1986.

A friend of mine asked if i had a recording from Detroit 6th June 72, to which i replied 'it wasn't taped'

she said 'oh, well a friend of mine taped it, but won't let anyone hear it til he's dead... he lives in Earls Court

any info on this?

I have heard similar over the years about recordings/footage and thought maybe it was a urban myth.

Is it just Zeppelin or does it happen with say the Stones/Who? always wondered.

Hey Steve. When and what were the circumstances of the whole fall out between Robert and Jonesy. I know Robert said something to JPJ about getting the limo. Details please.

P.S. Did they ever make up?

Hey Steve. When and what were the circumstances of the whole fall out between Robert and Jonesy. I know Robert said something to JPJ about getting the limo. Details please.

They get along fine these days. RP attended the Birmingham UK TCV show.

Phil Collins was brought in quite unneccesarily as a second drummer, undoubtedly as either a personal favor to

him or at the behest of the event's organizers. Collins of course performed in Wembley and Philadelphia that day. Unfortuntely, Led Zeppelin's set was well under-rehearsed, with Collins looking to Thompson for cues.

I'd always assumed Phil was brought in because he was one of the top acts in 1985 and because he had worked with Robert on his first few solo albums. Interestingly enough, I remember reading interviews that show a mutual respect and even friendship between Phil and some of the Zeppelin boys before 1985 but not much after.

"My relationship with 'Jonesy' is hampered by one misinterpreted word, and that was at the first press conference that Page and I did to go with the Unledded stuff," Plant told Times Online. "The first question to me was, 'Where's John Paul Jones?' I said, 'He's parking the car' — and that was it. No cards, no hellos. I apologized and went to one meeting and got on one knee as he was walking out, to tie my shoelace as well, and said, 'John, surely now we're way too old for this?' But he just sidestepped me and walked out. But I love him and want you to know, John, that if you have me back we can go back to the one card a year." - Robert Plant, July 2002

As Knebby said, they have long since made up. cool.gif

Just purchased a ticket to Them Crooked Vultures, May 16, 2010 at Ceasars Coliseum in Windsor, Ontario. Begs the question...has any member of Zeppelin previously performed in Windsor, ON? Seems unlikely since Windsor is literally across the river from Detroit. Looking for confirmation. thx -

Just purchased a ticket to Them Crooked Vultures, May 16, 2010 at Ceasars Coliseum in Windsor, Ontario. Begs the question...has any member of Zeppelin previously performed in Windsor, ON? Seems unlikely since Windsor is literally across the river from Detroit. Looking for confirmation. thx -

Nope.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve,

Two part question...my apologies if this has been covered in this thread previously:

Did Zep ever do any soundchecks prior to any of their European tour dates in the summer of 1980?

As a result if they did (which always seemed to be a source for writing new material for whatever album was next), did they have anything ready for the new album that Jimmy said he and Bonzo discussed (would be a heavier, rocky sounding album folllowing In Through The Out Door)?

I think the riff to Midnight Moonlight off the Firm's debut album was originally conceived during this time frame, but am unaware of any other material written during this time (unless I remember Jimmy saying the riff for "Shake my Tree" off the Coverdale/Page album was also conceived during this time).

Thanks.

Hi Steve,

Two part question...my apologies if this has been covered in this thread previously:

Did Zep ever do any soundchecks prior to any of their European tour dates in the summer of 1980?

As a result if they did (which always seemed to be a source for writing new material for whatever album was next), did they have anything ready for the new album that Jimmy said he and Bonzo discussed (would be a heavier, rocky sounding album folllowing In Through The Out Door)?

I think the riff to Midnight Moonlight off the Firm's debut album was originally conceived during this time frame, but am unaware of any other material written during this time (unless I remember Jimmy saying the riff for "Shake my Tree" off the Coverdale/Page album was also conceived during this time).

Thanks.

Great questions. I can't think of any soundchecks they did on the Over Europe '80 tour. I believe those were handled by the road crew only.

Jimmy said the riff for 'Shake My Tree' was something he developed during the In Through The Out Door sessions but nothing was done with it at the time. He said 'Midnight Moonlight' was the first song he and Paul Rodgers

wrote together in Sep/Oct '83, however as I recall there is evidence to suggest that riff was originally played

during some live renditions of 'White Summer' in 1977.

Steve, big fan of this thread!

I have a question, might be dumb, but ya know.

What was done with all the footage filmed for the Song Remains the Same movie? They filmed 3 nights, does Jimmy own all the footage? Are there 3 complete shows on video out there?

"My relationship with 'Jonesy' is hampered by one misinterpreted word, and that was at the first press conference that Page and I did to go with the Unledded stuff," Plant told Times Online. "The first question to me was, 'Where's John Paul Jones?' I said, 'He's parking the car' — and that was it. No cards, no hellos. I apologized and went to one meeting and got on one knee as he was walking out, to tie my shoelace as well, and said, 'John, surely now we're way too old for this?' But he just sidestepped me and walked out. But I love him and want you to know, John, that if you have me back we can go back to the one card a year." - Robert Plant, July 2002

As Knebby said, they have long since made up. cool.gif

Hi Steve, All,

But i can see why Mr Jones would "Sidestep" Mr Plant, Mr Plant didn't want Mr Jones involved in the Page and Plant enterprise in 1994, then had the cheek to call the Video and CD/Album "No Quarter" and still had the gall to make sarcastic remarks about once a year cards in 2002, Mr Plant really need to see what part he played in this and to stop acting the clown that he tries so hard to be to everyone. :o;)

"But I love him and want you to know, Robert, that if you have me back we can go back to the one card a year." - BIGDAN, April 07, 2010 :lol:

Regards, Danny

Steve, big fan of this thread!

I have a question, might be dumb, but ya know.

What was done with all the footage filmed for the Song Remains the Same movie? They filmed 3 nights, does Jimmy own all the footage? Are there 3 complete shows on video out there?

None of the shows were filmed in their entirety and according to Peter Grant, most if not all Joe Massot's concert footage is in the band's (Page) possession. It was a self-financed venture, so I don't think the raw mastertapes are kept at the Warner Brothers vault.

You'll find Eddie Edwards' phenomenal examination of the film and soundtrack to be of great interest:

http://www.thegardentapes.co.uk/index.html

Kashmir was written during Jimmy & Robert's June 1973 visit to Morocco. Robert had invited Jimmy to go with him and they attended the National Festival of Folklore. Soonafter Robert wrote the lyrics for 'Driving to Kashmir' on the road to Tan Tan along the Atlantic coast.

Further to the Page & Plant visit to Morocco in 1973, my understanding is that they spent time in Tafraout, in the southern Anti-Atlas Mountains near Agadir.

Tafraout is still quite off the beaten track - I should know, having been there in 2006. It is a fairly well-organised village, with an artists' co-op that sells traditional Arabic and Berber art at reasonable prices. It is stunningly magical place, with very friendly people (tip: avoid Moroccan cities unless you know people who live here). Myself and my partner ended up in someone's house so that she could get a real henna hand tattoo done. I wanted one too but such tattoos aren't for boys, apparently.

Driving through the majestic Atlas Mountains, with the the sun beating down upon the dusty brown desert landscape, you don't need much imagination to see how it inspired the lyrics and tone of Kashmir.

Getting back to the Plant-Jones falling out, I seem to remember a relatively recent (post-Zep) quote from JPJ that ran something like "Robert never knew what to make of me and still doesn't." Does that sound familiar to anyone? Where have I heard or read that? While I understand that they've repaired their bonds recently, it does sound like an accurate characterization of their Zeppelin-era relationship.

Or am I completely delusional again? Did JPJ ever say such a thing?

Great questions. I can't think of any soundchecks they did on the Over Europe '80 tour. I believe those were handled by the road crew only.

Jimmy said the riff for 'Shake My Tree' was something he developed during the In Through The Out Door sessions but nothing was done with it at the time. He said 'Midnight Moonlight' was the first song he and Paul Rodgers

wrote together in Sep/Oct '83, however as I recall there is evidence to suggest that riff was originally played

during some live renditions of 'White Summer' in 1977.

That funny picture of them all playing in shorts, was that a pre-tour rehearsal then? When was that taken?