fav. band/artist after led zep? and why.

boogie

zep qulified: on most rock stations, you can hear any zep song, at any time. can"t say the same about any other band including the beatles, the stone's, or the who. i'll take the 1st seven albums over any other bands 7 in any order. in fact i'll take zeps 1st seven over anyother seven albums you can name! for example: the white album, who are you?, toy's in the attic, ect. ect. the only other band that seems to get similar radio play is stone temple pilots! most every song on the air, except for the last 2 albums. and i don't think they're as talented as the beatles, who, black sabbeth, exc. what do ya think?

my list after zep

the beatles

rush

black sabbath

the who

stevie ray vaughn

aerosmith(1970"s only)

the ramones

stone temple pilots

metalica

in that order

twist one up, study on it, have fun

Well, I'm not really into putting albums I love equally for different reasons into league tables.

And I think the "so-and-so is more talented than so-and-so" doesn't get anyone anywhere really. Talent works in a lot of different ways and while one person might have practiced so hard that they can now guitar solo at 500mph, another might have just been born with a natural gift for melody. But does that make one "more talented" than the other?

As for the title of this thread, that accolade, for me, has to go for Manic Street Preachers. Basically because I've loved them for about 12 years now and their music still moves me as much (if not more) and is as fresh to me now as when I first heard it.

My whole interest in rock music started with Nirvana. I became a huge fan, bought insane amounts of memorabilia, a lot of rare stuff too, that I have to this day. Although I have other bands which I prefer, they will always have a place in my heart because that's where it started for me...and from there I worked backwards to the 60s and 70s. :lol:

As far as contemporary bands are concerned I hate most of them, but one stands out for me far above the rest....PORCUPINE TREE. They are my favourite band at the moment after Led Zep...although the favourite status tends to shift around quite often.

I think it'll be:

David Bowie- he was the first I had a massive music obsession about, and I'll always will have. Just because he pushed the envelope so much on gender, music and lyrics- the whole of his persona for me is- "damn, I wanna do it like that too! That's my soul right there".

Alice in chains- I like the raspy, I'm-so-f*8ke-up-co0mplecated-lost-to-man-kind" voice and lyric. And the sadness of it all gives it depth that's -for me- just hard to miss.

Tori Amos- she's like a female version of all those powerful stage men I draw from, every movement is a genius', from the soul gesture. She's one hell-o'va-preformer!

Janis Joplin- again, voice-vise speaking- the rasp and power.

AC/DC- plain head-banging-fun!

Zeppelin aren't my favorite band but they're definitely one of my favorites. Other favorites would include:

Beatles

R.E.M.

Drive-By Truckers

Bob Dylan

Whiskeytown

Jimmy Buffett

John Prine

Black Sabbath

Foghat

Leon Russell

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Emmylou Harris

Steve Earle

Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen

Waylon Jennings

Before Zep:

ALICE COOPER Why? I discovered him in 1989 when I was 12 and his music stays with me to this very day and for the rest of my life. Poison was HUGE and Trash was one of the top rock albums of the year. Alice changed my world, right after I saw Poison I knew that life would never be the same for me. Alice taught me what the word cool truly means. He's been my surrogate father and my best friend. He's simply and truly the ABSOLUTE best.

After Zep:

QUEEN No other band on this planet has the talent Freddie, Brian, John, and Roger did. They took rock and roll and gave it the symphonic and operatic edge that leaves you wanting more. To me, Queen represented humanity through they're music. When it's uplifting it can almost make you fly and when it's sad you FEEL it also. Like Zeppelin, Queen didn't just have power within the music..they WERE power itself.

IRON MAIDEN Arguably the last great band that continues to make great, stellar quality music. Maiden is the band I wish I listened to in High School. After 31 years Iron Maiden can still rock and sound modern without changing the core sound.I can't tell you how many times I've played Powerslave or Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, or Brave New World, or Matter of Life and Death through and through. Of all the bands I listen to: Maiden make me proud to be Scottish and British. There's something Immortal in they're music and I'm both greatful for them to still be around doing what they do best.

This is too hard to narrow down as I like so many groups but I will try and put some of the ones who I just can't live without haha ...I guess you could say. And for the why-well they all just move me- they are my Soul Healer my Ear Candy. These are in no paticular order-except A-Z. There are so many more after this.

AC/DC

Aerosmith

Allman Brothers

Bad Company

The Beatles

Black Sabbath

B.O.C.

David Bowie

Alice Cooper

Cream

Deep Purple

ELP

ELO

Free

Genesis

Jimi Hendrix

Humble Pie

Iron Maiden

Jethro Tull

Judas Priest

King Crimson

Motorhead

Pink Floyd

Queen

Rainbow

Rush

Roxy Music

Rolling Stones

Steely Dan

T.Rex

Thin Lizzy

Traffic

Triumph

UFO

Wishbone Ash

The Who

Yes

Frank Zappa

Zebra

Pink Floyd

Radiohead

AC/DC

ZZ Top

Black Crowes

Matthew Sweet

Shit, I forgot the Crowes! Love that band.

And Matthew Sweet had a hell of an album in "Girlfriend". I have that disc, it always makes for a great listen. Not too familiar with anything after that though.

Well I would have to say its Deep Purple,, Yes, Floyd ac/dc, Rush, Eddie van halen are all up there but if Zep didn't exist then it would be Purple !! From Wring that Neck to Rapture of the Deep via Speed King, Burn and Ted the Mechanic, they play music how I like it...full frontal riffs, melody and classical references all over the place and live they are just happening...Ritchie Blackmore is God to me !!!

Purples mark on rock music cannot be underestimated, Blackmore, Bolin and Morse have played guitar, Jon lord with his Hammond organ playing thru a marshal guitar stack ( awsome), Gillan and Coverdale are 2 of the singers to pass the ranks, Glen Hughes, Roger Glover etc etc. There off shoot bands Whitesnake/Rainbow.Gillan band,Dio,Black Sabbath(not off shoot but connections with the musicians) etc etc, I could go on.

On stage their musicianship was hardly equalled with Lord and Blackmore trading riffs etc, it was loud bold and unpredictable !!

So Purple is my 2nd favourite band !! :)

Well I would have to say its Deep Purple,, Yes, Floyd ac/dc, Rush, Eddie van halen are all up there but if Zep didn't exist then it would be Purple !! From Wring that Neck to Rapture of the Deep via Speed King, Burn and Ted the Mechanic, they play music how I like it...full frontal riffs, melody and classical references all over the place and live they are just happening...Ritchie Blackmore is God to me !!!

Purples mark on rock music cannot be underestimated, Blackmore, Bolin and Morse have played guitar, Jon lord with his Hammond organ playing thru a marshal guitar stack ( awsome), Gillan and Coverdale are 2 of the singers to pass the ranks, Glen Hughes, Roger Glover etc etc. There off shoot bands Whitesnake/Rainbow.Gillan band,Dio,Black Sabbath(not off shoot but connections with the musicians) etc etc, I could go on.

On stage their musicianship was hardly equalled with Lord and Blackmore trading riffs etc, it was loud bold and unpredictable !!

So Purple is my 2nd favourite band !! :)

I was a big fan of theirs back in the 70s. I just thought with the style of music Led Zeppeliin stood alone. Then bands like Deep Purple and Black Sabbath would be damn good bands but a level under a band like Zeppeliln. Hard to compare Deep Purple to bads like the Stones and Beatles and Who. Probably unfair. But I cant put them above Pink Floyd. I only wish they had more material. Machine head is still my favorite.

I was a big fan of theirs back in the 70s. I just thought with the style of music Led Zeppeliin stood alone. Then bands like Deep Purple and Black Sabbath would be damn good bands but a level under a band like Zeppeliln. Hard to compare Deep Purple to bads like the Stones and Beatles and Who. Probably unfair. But I cant put them above Pink Floyd. I only wish they had more material. Machine head is still my favorite.

Wish they had more material ?? isn't 18 studio albums enough ?? lol

MK I

Shades of Deep Purple, September 1968 (UK)

The Book of Taliesyn, December 1968 (US), July 1969 (UK)

Deep Purple, June 1969 (US), November 1969 (UK)

Mk IIa

Deep Purple in Rock, June 1970 (UK)

Fireball, May 1971 (US), September 1971 (UK)

Machine Head, March 1972 (UK)

Who Do We Think We Are, February 1973 (UK)

Mk III

Burn, February 1974 (UK)

Stormbringer, December 1974 (UK)

Mk IV

Come Taste the Band, October 1975 (UK)

Mk IIb

Perfect Strangers, October 1984 (UK)

The House of Blue Light, January 1987 (UK)

Mk V Slaves & Masters, October 1990 (UK)

Mk IIc The Battle Rages on..., July 1993 (UK)

Mk VI None recorded ,just live !!!!

Mk VII

Purpendicular, February 1996 (UK)

Abandon, May 1998 (UK)

Mk VIII

Bananas, August 2003 (Europe)

Rapture of the Deep 2005

Edited by leddy