Jethro Tull

JethroTull

• 3 weeks later...

taab2.jpg

New album and Tour

TAAB2 = THICK AS A BRICK # 2

Had this delivered today, just the regular edition. Currently on my first listen - track 16 of 17. No complaints so far! It sounds just like classic Tull.

Had this delivered today, just the regular edition. Currently on my first listen - track 16 of 17. No complaints so far! It sounds just like classic Tull.

I haven't heard it yet, but I will, when a friend of mine loans me a copy....

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Found a stash of Jethro Tull bootlegs I had forgotten I had.

There was a time when I was a big Jethro Tull fan. Loved the "Aqualung" album when it came out in 1971, and loved "Thick As a Brick" even more. Worked my way back through their catalogue from there.

The year I started going to concerts, 1972, I saw many great guitarists: Jimmy Page, Mick Taylor and Keith Richards, Steve Howe, Jerry Garcia, David Gilmore, Mick Ronson, Tony Iommi. Martin Barre of Jethro Tull was worthy of that list...only Jimmy and Mick Taylor blew me away more.

By 1975 though, with "Bungle in the Jungle" on the radio, my interest in Jethro Tull was fading. The 1975 Forum shows were good, but I didn't care for "Bungle" or the "War Child" album. Subsequent albums never caught my ear.

Then, when punk came along, codpieces and flutes seemed fairly ridiculous. Which is also why I never cottoned to Dexy's Midnight Runners.

When Jethro Tull stole the inaugural Best Metal Album award from Metallica at the 1988 Grammys, the biggest shock for me was that Jethro Tull was still around making records. Needless to say that by the 2000s, when Will Farrell pulled his hilarious "jazz flute" bit in "Ron Burgandy: Anchorman", JethroTull was a distant memory to me.

In fact, it was so distant that it's easy for me to forget that at one time I used to be quite a fan of Jethro Tull. Enough of a fan to buy Jethro Tull bootlegs apparently.

I've been in the process of going through my old records and other stuff I've accumulated over the years, most of which I have safely stored away. I haven't made it to my box of Led Zeppelin albums yet, but going through another box, I discovered to my utter amazement and surprise a number of old Jethro Tull vinyl bootlegs. Four to be exact.

They are all early-70s vintage. My turntable is on the fritz, so I cannot listen to them at the moment, but I thought maybe the resident Jethro Tull experts here could tell me if what I have are considered worthy Tull boots?

The four albums are

1. Supercharged

2. Flute Cake

3. Nothing is Easy

4. My God! (Red coloured vinyl)

post-1470-0-03121900-1344472347_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-67421100-1344472409_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-61854000-1344472466_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-45955000-1344472512_thumb.jp

Found a stash of Jethro Tull bootlegs I had forgotten I had.

There was a time when I was a big Jethro Tull fan. Loved the "Aqualung" album when it came out in 1971, and loved "Thick As a Brick" even more. Worked my way back through their catalogue from there.

The year I started going to concerts, 1972, I saw many great guitarists: Jimmy Page, Mick Taylor and Keith Richards, Steve Howe, Jerry Garcia, David Gilmore, Mick Ronson, Tony Iommi. Martin Barre of Jethro Tull was worthy of that list...only Jimmy and Mick Taylor blew me away more.

By 1975 though, with "Bungle in the Jungle" on the radio, my interest in Jethro Tull was fading. The 1975 Forum shows were good, but I didn't care for "Bungle" or the "War Child" album. Subsequent albums never caught my ear.

Then, when punk came along, codpieces and flutes seemed fairly ridiculous. Which is also why I never cottoned to Dexy's Midnight Runners.

When Jethro Tull stole the inaugural Best Metal Album award from Metallica at the 1988 Grammys, the biggest shock for me was that Jethro Tull was still around making records. Needless to say that by the 2000s, when Will Farrell pulled his hilarious "jazz flute" bit in "Ron Burgandy: Anchorman", JethroTull was a distant memory to me.

In fact, it was so distant that it's easy for me to forget that at one time I used to be quite a fan of Jethro Tull. Enough of a fan to buy Jethro Tull bootlegs apparently.

I've been in the process of going through my old records and other stuff I've accumulated over the years, most of which I have safely stored away. I haven't made it to my box of Led Zeppelin albums yet, but going through another box, I discovered to my utter amazement and surprise a number of old Jethro Tull vinyl bootlegs. Four to be exact.

They are all early-70s vintage. My turntable is on the fritz, so I cannot listen to them at the moment, but I thought maybe the resident Jethro Tull experts here could tell me if what I have are considered worthy Tull boots?

The four albums are

1. Supercharged

2. Flute Cake

3. Nothing is Easy

4. My God! (Red coloured vinyl)

I'm in agreement with you on this Strider. The band pretty much dropped me off by the side of the road after Thick As A Brick. I was fortunate enough to have seen them live on the Aqualung tour in 71...outstanding BTW , but they, along with Zeppelin, were part of the "Vancouver City Hall" casualty list in June 72 after the Stones riot so it wasn't until summer 73 , on the " Passion Play" Tour,that I had a chance to see them live again. IMHO, and I say this with a bit of regret, they'd kind of gone off the rails by then.

Codpieces and flutes have always been utterly ridiculous. It's just a shame that it took punk to enlighten you.

But what do codpieces have to do with Dexys? I didn't notice Kev showing his perve hand until this:

Blame my dad. He loved all those prog bands like ELP, Yes, Jethro Tull, Beaver and Krause...anyone with a propensity for florid classical touches.

As for Sexy Dexy, it wasn't so much codpieces, but the way Dexy's flaunted the same kind of hobo-boho vibe as Jethro Tull that put me off...it reminded me of Ian Anderson and that ridiculous raggedy coat. All those fiddles and forced bonhomie...it came off a little too quaint and contrived. It's partly the same reason I don't care too much for Arcade Fire.

Alas, I'm still waiting for some help...where's 'Jethro Tull' or some other Tull expert. I've done a search and found out some of the basics of the four bootlegs: they're from 1973 LA Forum, 1971 Anaheim Convention Center, and 1970 Long Beach and Anaheim. Mostly VG to Excellent sound quality according to one Jethro Tull database.

But I haven't been able to find out anything about the performance quality. That's what I was hoping some Jethro Tull fan here could tell me.

Edited by Strider

• 1 month later...

Alas, I'm still waiting for some help...where's 'Jethro Tull' or some other Tull expert. I've done a search and found out some of the basics of the four bootlegs: they're from 1973 LA Forum, 1971 Anaheim Convention Center, and 1970 Long Beach and Anaheim. Mostly VG to Excellent sound quality according to one Jethro Tull database.

But I haven't been able to find out anything about the performance quality. That's what I was hoping some Jethro Tull fan here could tell me.

IMHO, I would say those are all worthy bootlegs, in the sense they've captured a classic era of Tull. Let's face it, they are bootlegs from the early 70's. The sound quality is what it is. I'm not a big collector of bootlegs. I own two "official" bootlegs. Tull from 1972 ( a show from April in Virginia) and Springsteen from 1976. I have some other bootleg material that various people have put on cassette for me. Sounds like you are not a Tull fan anymore. What do you want to do with the bootlegs? You could probably sell them pretty easily.

IMHO, I would say those are all worthy bootlegs, in the sense they've captured a classic era of Tull. Let's face it, they are bootlegs from the early 70's. The sound quality is what it is. I'm not a big collector of bootlegs. I own two "official" bootlegs. Tull from 1972 ( a show from April in Virginia) and Springsteen from 1976. I have some other bootleg material that various people have put on cassette for me. Sounds like you are not a Tull fan anymore. What do you want to do with the bootlegs? You could probably sell them pretty easily.

I appreciate your input, JT. Although I'm a little surprised such a big fan of Jethro Tull doesn't collect more live recordings.

Have no fear...I have no intention of selling these babies. My interest in Jethro Tull did fall off after 1975, but I still love "Thick as a Brick" and their other early albums. Their concert in 1972 was one of the best I saw that year...only Led Zeppelin and the Stones topped them. Maybe the Yes and David Bowie shows, too. But Jethro Tull definitely surprised me with how good and entertaining they were in concert.

I only ever saw them live once and that was their anniversary tour when they came to Liverpool. They were excellent, Ian Anderson admittedly didn't jump about as much or stand on one leg as much either, but the music and his voice were still there. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Edited by joe (Liverpool)

I appreciate your input, JT. Although I'm a little surprised such a big fan of Jethro Tull doesn't collect more live recordings.

Have no fear...I have no intention of selling these babies. My interest in Jethro Tull did fall off after 1975, but I still love "Thick as a Brick" and their other early albums. Their concert in 1972 was one of the best I saw that year...only Led Zeppelin and the Stones topped them. Maybe the Yes and David Bowie shows, too. But Jethro Tull definitely surprised me with how good and entertaining they were in concert.

Well, I said I own two "official" bootlegs, meaning I own them on LP. I own a fair amount of other shows(Tull and others) on cassette or CD that friends/acquaintances have recorded for me.

• 4 months later...

Jethro Tull were one of the bands around in the seventies that everyone wanted to see. The unusual mix of flute and lyrics blew everyone away and their band of great musicians including lead guitarist Martin Barre, had a terrific sound. Ian Anderson was such a showman but seemed to bring out the crazy in some people. Where I stayed their were two gangs who would have liked to have pasted one another at the concerts but there were bouncers walking about with chains round their fists just in case the fighting started! There was wee me just sitting in the front row trying to appreciate the music and you could cut the atmosphere with a knife. Oh well I still enjoyed them. Jethro Tull were a brilliant group and I still listen to Aqualung.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...