King Biscuit Flour Hour

Black Dawg

Back in The 70's I remember listening to a Radio program that broadcasted live works of various artists. I recall listening to Zeppelin. Does anyone know what happened to these recordings? Are there any still around?

Any info would be helpful.

I heard the LZ BBC shows on the radio back then, and that might be what you're thinking of.

Back in The 70's I remember listening to a Radio program that broadcasted live works of various artists. I recall listening to Zeppelin. Does anyone know what happened to these recordings? Are there any still around?

I used to listen to that radio show when I was little! I thought I was the only one who remembered it! I don't believe I recall Led Zeppelin being on it though.

Yes I remember King Biscuit Flower Hour. Radios version of Don Kirshner's Rock Concert

if you will. I think it was brought to us by westwood one radio?

Don't remember if The Zep was on though.

Man those were the days ( sigh ) B)

The show broadcast on the King Biscuit Flower Hour was the Paris Theater show that's on the BBC Sessions set. I recorded it off the radio when I was in 7th grade and stowed a tape player and earphone in my backpack and missed a large portion of my junior high education listening to it in class over and over and over again! :lol:

Ebay search term = King Biscuit Hour

Many people are spelling Flour Flower. duh.

In the States it was referred to as "The King Biscuit Flower Power Hour". It was featured on Sunday nights at 10:00pm in my area. For most of us 70's kids, that was the first live Zeppelin we ever heard. Problem was , we didn't believe it was live. We thought they were studio outtakes that had audience noise layered on after. After all, how could a crowd be so quiet and polite during a Zeppelin show ? probably my least favorite Zep release ever. My 70's cassette was loaded with hiss. When the official release came out, I figured it would be better quality. Still filled with hiss in my opinion. The '69 cuts were featured one week, and The Paris show the next. I don't think there has ever been a radio show aired with more commercials. :blink:

The show broadcast on the King Biscuit Flower Hour was the Paris Theater show that's on the BBC Sessions set. I recorded it off the radio when I was in 7th grade and stowed a tape player and earphone in my backpack and missed a large portion of my junior high education listening to it in class over and over and over again! :lol:

I have a well worn copy recorded off the radio as well. Thank goodness they finally released the BBC Sessions.

In the States it was referred to as "The King Biscuit Flower Power Hour". It was featured on Sunday nights at 10:00pm in my area. For most of us 70's kids, that was the first live Zeppelin we ever heard. Problem was , we didn't believe it was live. We thought they were studio outtakes that had audience noise layered on after. After all, how could a crowd be so quiet and polite during a Zeppelin show ? probably my least favorite Zep release ever. My 70's cassette was loaded with hiss. When the official release came out, I figured it would be better quality. Still filled with hiss in my opinion. The '69 cuts were featured one week, and The Paris show the next. I don't think there has ever been a radio show aired with more commercials. :blink:

i grew up in the late 60's/70's, and we listened to the "king biscuit flour hour" a nationally syndicated show distantly related to a helena arkansas radio station show that featured howlin' wolf, sonny boy williamson, and pinetop perkins called "king biscuit time" and was sponsored by , yes...king biscuit flour! it began in the 40's and i believe it is still running today. "flour hour" was a great show!!

the zep i heard as well as floyd, queen all the biggies(and everybody in between.

i also bought several cassettes of live broadcasts, never found the zeppelin shows but picked up one featured robert plant/big log era sided with genesis and others.

don't know if that was the same but there you go..

beat

i grew up in the late 60's/70's, and we listened to the "king biscuit flour hour" a nationally syndicated show distantly related to a helena arkansas radio station show that featured howlin' wolf, sonny boy williamson, and pinetop perkins called "king biscuit time" and was sponsored by , yes...king biscuit flour! it began in the 40's and i believe it is still running today. "flour hour" was a great show!!

the zep i heard as well as floyd, queen all the biggies(and everybody in between.

i also bought several cassettes of live broadcasts, never found the zeppelin shows but picked up one featured robert plant/big log era sided with genesis and others.

don't know if that was the same but there you go..

beat

According to Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Biscuit_Flower_Hour

"The show’s name was derived from the influential blues radio show “King Biscuit Time”, which was sponsored by the King Biscuit Flour Co., and the hippie phrase “flower power”.

I remember hearing it on a Los Angeles radio station, either KMET or KLOS, around '78-'79 in my dorm room one night. I didn't have a blank cassette handy to record it, but not too long after that I found a bootleg recording of it on vinyl. It was definitely the same show(s) as the BBC Sessions CD.

I remember hearing it on a Los Angeles radio station, either KMET or KLOS, around '78-'79 in my dorm room one night. I didn't have a blank cassette handy to record it, but not too long after that I found a bootleg recording of it on vinyl. It was definitely the same show(s) as the BBC Sessions CD.

Damn! I can't remember if it was KLOS or KMET either! But you definitely heard the same broadcast I did!! :beer:

The show broadcast on the King Biscuit Flower Hour was the Paris Theater show that's on the BBC Sessions set.

I, too, recorded this off the radio, dont remember when, but it was in the late '80's...i remember how spectacular the performances were and was happy to hear the material was getting an official release...I only had one version (on the bbc sessions) of "communication breakdown" on my recording, though. It was one of the three (Ithink!) on the official release. The good one with the "it's your thing" interlude...it was one of my "rare" recordings (non-official zep product) of their stuff, though in retrospect, not so rare! 'Course. it was 'rare' to me, and i treasured it as such. I was actually kinda bummed (in one sense) 'cause my "rare" recording that not many people (in my circle) had ever even heard of was now an official release! I was pleased that it had the entire show (as far as i know, anyway), "Thank You" included, from the paris theatre...both sources had more material than i had on the recorded broadcast...

According to Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Biscuit_Flower_Hour

"The show’s name was derived from the influential blues radio show “King Biscuit Time”, which was sponsored by the King Biscuit Flour Co., and the hippie phrase “flower power”.

Thanks! gotta love Wiki...

here's a link to a memphis blues site with some current news on all things biscuit..

Blues Matters

"King Biscuit Entertainment owns and operates the weekly "King Biscuit Flour Hour" radio show that was created by DIR Broadcasting in 1973.

King Biscuit Entertainment recently signed a deal to have the radio show broadcast on satellite provider XM Radio. King Biscuit will launch on Deep Tracks XM channel 40 in late January, although XM will do a ramp-up week of shows during the final week of December. "

i also believe that you can purchase some of the original broadcasts from the "flour/flower" hour at Wolfgang's Vault hereking biscuit

hope it helps..

• 6 months later...

If anyone is interested, the Robert Plant concert from 1985 will be on XM40 (Deep Tracks) today at 3pm Eastern. And I'm sure it will be repeated a few times throughout the week.

If you are not aware of Wolfgang's Vault, then you need to check out this site that not only has some early Zep, but thousands of other live concerts, many of which appeared on King Biscuits Flower Hour.

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com

Have you discovered anyway to record the stream of music? The only way I have been able to is to take a headphone jack/red and white RCA and input into my standalone DVD harddrive recorder and burn to a DVD. Unfortunately it's not perfect sound quality, but it should be a way to hear and record the shows. I have been able to record other things online that way, but haven't tried from wolfgangsvault.

Archived