Led Zeppelin's OVERALL best song

JimmyPageZoSo56

478 members have voted

1. 1. Which captivates Led Zeppelin the best?

• Stairway to Heaven
    • Achilles Last Stand
    • Kashmir

I hate picking songs like this because I like different songs depending on my mood.

With that said, I would have to say Kashmir !!

I do want to say that I am not one of those who hates STH just because it was accepted by the masses. I love it. I just like Kashmir better.

Currently I am hooked on Trampled Under Foot !!

Much as I love 'Achilles Last Stand' to death (especially live at Knebworth), I found myself trying to choose just between 'Kashmir' and 'Stairway To Heaven'. It's an agonizing thing to decide because I love those two songs equal amounts to each other. After an excruciating pause, I hesitantly clicked 'Kashmir'. When I think of all the punk bands calling Zeppelin a dinosaur, I figure their roar sounds something like 'Kashmir'; fierce, epic and eclectic. 'Stairway', even though it's an enormous songwriting/performance feat, is just a mirage of what Zeppelin is, even if it's pretty. 'Kashmir' is the real thing. It's what Led Zeppelin is anyway: ENORMOUS.

perfectly stated, MMH. in robert's own words, "kashmir is the quintessential led zeppelin song".

:rolleyes::rolleyes:
We all know Led Zeppelin had some amazing songs. but these 3 songs, which people over the years listed as their best, really captivate Led Zeppelin's overall capability to be the greatest rock and roll band ever. out of these songs, which do you think captivates Led Zeppelin the best?

We all know Led Zeppelin had some amazing songs. but these 3 songs, which people over the years listed as their best, really captivate Led Zeppelin's overall capability to be the greatest rock and roll band ever. out of these songs, which do you think captivates Led Zeppelin the best?

its so hard to vote what is there best song, they have so many influential and so many important songs that could be the best, i mean jimmy said it was one of the most difficult things to make mothership becasue it was basically a best of cd and it was so hard to narrow down what was best because so many songs were so good

For me it's Achilles Last Stand. I love Stairway and Kashmir but Achilles Last Stand is all four band members at their best and defines what Led Zeppelin is/was. STH is such a beautiful song but it doesn't have that relentless force behind it except at the end. Kashmir has a brutal force behind it but it's not relentless in the same way that ALS is (I also like Plant's vocals in Achilles better than Kashmir... his voice doesn't sound quite so weathered). So I'm going with Achilles :thumbsup:

I saw Zeppelin 3 times on the '77 Tour, and I'd have to say.... that KASHMIR was was the Highlight, over ALS and STH. Both ALS and STH were Good..... KASHMIR was just better. VERY powerful as performed with the Zeppelin amplification of 1977.. The analogy of the "the sum of the parts being greater than the whole" is very applicable to the live performance of "KASHMIR". And, if, you don't judge Zeppelin live, then you're missing the boat, imo. :)

My buddy and I never understood why Kashmir, was such a Fav. I think its a really good song, but we always found it weird that it was always so popular. After reading this tidbit, and listening to the o2 show of Kashmir. I understand. Achilles is my favorite only because i never heard it or heard about it before i bought Presence, and at .22 sec into the album, i thought "Holy Shit, Jimmy Just ripped God a new one".

hello jimmypagezoso56 thats a tough one its like saying whos your favourite child but i would say sth cos it has all the elements of led zep in one song light and heavy

• 2 weeks later...

Kashmir definately has the best riff I have ever heard, but I still think Stairway to Heaven is a better song, you can't get a better song than that :D

Achilles Last Stand is a magnificent song, but uncomparable to Stairway to Heaven and Kashmir :)

It's a close call between the 3 songs , especially (for me) between STH and Kashmir.

But i think that with its guitar and lyrics, STH really represents the genius and mystics of Led Zeppelin.

• 4 weeks later...

My sig betrays me before I ever write a word :lolo:

Achilles' Last Stand has been my favorite song since Presence was released.

The first post to use the term "epic" struck a chord with me, because ALS is truly epic.

But as I continued to read the thread I began to realize all 3 are truly deserving of "epic" status.

ALS is my personal favorite, and probably the hardest/heaviest song Zeppelin ever did.

However, Stairway is without doubt the greatest rock song of all time - hell, it's the original benchmark for "epic".

Kashmir is more "epic" than 99.9% of all rock songs, yet for me pulls up in 3rd place when placed within these lofty parameters.

Go figure.

But yeah, I voted Achilles'.

I'm also on a Black Sabbath forum, and this same question was asked in the "other bands" category. Achilles Last Stand was also chosen there as their greatest number.

I chose the classic, Stairway to Heaven. As a few people on that other forum said, it suffers only because of massive airplay and over exposure. It has almost become cliched for Zeppelin, as Smoke on the Water is for Purple, or Paranoid is for Sabbath.

Robert Plant is quoted as saying that Stairway to Heaven was a good song for a season. So he himself became over it. His favourite Zeppelin song, and the one that symbolises the most of what Zeppelin is about, is Kashmir.

Oh well......

I picked Stairway out of the choices given. Actually i may be a little weird but my favorites were not listed my top 1.) the ocean2.) over the hills and far away 3.) night flight 4.) sick again 5.) when the levee breaks 6.) boogie with stu 7.)in the light 8.)ten years gone 9.)rock and roll 10.)black country woman dont get me wrong i love all three songs but out of the zep catalog they all fall in my top 25

but there are just so many great songs and the more i listen the more i like them.

Archived