Led Zeppelin's OVERALL best song

JimmyPageZoSo56

478 members have voted

1. 1. Which captivates Led Zeppelin the best?

• Stairway to Heaven
    • Achilles Last Stand
    • Kashmir

My pesonal favorite out of these three is Kashmir but I voted for Stairway because I've probably head it a lot more times than Kashmir and I'm so damm sick of I think I hate it because I've heard it so many times. When I haven't heard it in a while I can apreceate it but if i have to listen to it all the time because of a radio station that I like plays it every day. But I cant say I realy ever loved Stairway but when I was growing up the station played that Black Dog and Rock and Roll all and I like both songs more than Stairway. But anyway the poll was for the best over all song not what my favorite song and I think Stairway shows 3 sides of the band and later stuff that Zep did like Kashmir was more progesive because led zep 4 was such a perfect album they reraly had to change or just go down hill.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Achilles Last Stand...then Kashmir

dont like Stairway!

Achilles. It's the best example on the albums of the weird indescribable energy of their best live moments, usually found when they've lost their minds at about the halfway mark of Dazed and Confused. I've always thought their best was never done in the studio but live -- it's that Orpheus Descending piece in Dazed that becomes "San Francisco" (1973)/"Woodstock" (1975) and kicks into a wicked dirge dying out into Jimmy's bowed section.

EDIT: Going back and reading through the comments, it looks as though "Dazed and Confused Live" might have won out had it been a choice. Achilles has a slim lead right now, and though it's the piece that for all practical purposes moved Dazed out of the live set and had some powerful arena rock qualities, no song separated Led Zeppelin more from the musicians of the human race like Dazed did. Even Hendrix realized that and was impressed, and he never heard the later live versions!!!

There's a lot out there about Stairway and Kashmir but not enough about Achilles.

But if you truly want the best song to represent all the band members doing something unique, then you have to go with Stairway.

They all contribute to something very special in the song, whereas in the other two, it's mostly Page and Plant.

how is kashmir and achilles just pagey and plant.. hell bonham came up with part of the riff and is given a writing credit along with page and plant.. and look at als rhythm section.. influenced barracuda by heart(known as the female zeppelin).. jones and bonham go off in that song.. so stairway is their best but i think its undermining the band by saying in those 3 that they all didnt contribute substantially

The o2 version of Kashmir is best.

thAt is one bad ass version.. jason stole the show with his drumming.. simple but fit the essense.. did his father proud..better be put on dvd one day before pagey dies.. got forbid any time soon..but you get my point

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It was almost impossible for me to pick one since all three of these are in my top five list of Zep songs, but I went with ALS. I love Kashmir and STH, but ALS is more emotional for me. But that's just today's answer - if you ask me tomorrow what is their overall best song, I might answer differently. :D

Ooooo now THAT is a good poll.

Well it is very very very tough for me.

Well Kashmir is my favourite song. ALS, the solo is so overwhelming, and powerful and it sends this electricty through me.

But I would have to go for STH-From the opening notes, down to the "and she's buying a stairway to heaven" there are these few minutes when I feel at peace and it's just such a beautiful song, it has soul. And it captures the minds of so many when you first hear it.

• 2 months later...
Achilles. It's the best example on the albums of the weird indescribable energy of their best live moments, usually found when they've lost their minds at about the halfway mark of Dazed and Confused. I've always thought their best was never done in the studio but live -- it's that Orpheus Descending piece in Dazed that becomes "San Francisco" (1973)/"Woodstock" (1975) and kicks into a wicked dirge dying out into Jimmy's bowed section.

EDIT: Going back and reading through the comments, it looks as though "Dazed and Confused Live" might have won out had it been a choice. Achilles has a slim lead right now, and though it's the piece that for all practical purposes moved Dazed out of the live set and had some powerful arena rock qualities, no song separated Led Zeppelin more from the musicians of the human race like Dazed did. Even Hendrix realized that and was impressed, and he never heard the later live versions!!!

Bluh, I don't really know. Dazed (live) to me is just unlistenable and rather boring. To each his own.

Archived