Jason is on the radio this morning!

FireOpal

You can listen live here: Big 106

Jason lives in Boca now, so is in this South Florida radio station for a chat. He's talking about the reunion, his relationship with his dad's old bandmates, etc. Very entertaining and sweet guy.

He said they all went to dinner after the first rehearsal at an Indian restaurant, which was so crowded they had to be seated with another family :) Jason finally got the chance to ask the guys about some of the ... ahem, legendary escapades they were rumoured to have had. He asked about the incident where his dad supposedly chopped up his hotel room with a samurai sword. Jonesy admitted it was actually he who did the deed: Bonham was passed out cold with the sword in his hand. So Jonesy did a number on the room, then placed the sword back in Bonham's hand.

UPDATE: Oooh! He's playing drums live in the studio now, doing the drums for a whole bunch of Zep songs...

P.S. Jason's gone now. For what it's worth, Jason did not deny or contradict the DJs when they talked about an official DVD of the O2 concert coming out. I take no particular hope from that, Mr. Bonham was probably just trying to be agreeable and pleasant.

The DJs asked him if he would be playing locally again and Jason said yes, most likely next summer. I hope I'm getting this right, but the guys then said something like "with Foreigner?" and Jason for sure said "Possibly something bigger." So that's good news, right?

Other snippets from the conversation that I remember:

O2 concert attendees included John Bonham's mother and other family members. "There was a whole Bonham family crying section" Jason joked.

The Edge from U2 was there, and visited backstage after the show. Jason sounded especially thrilled about that.

The band initially rehearsed for one afternoon in June, then for 3 days in August. They were all to remain tight-lipped about what was going on, but Jason innocently talked to one or two people about what songs they were doing. Somehow, Jimmy Page got word of it and gave Jason a friendly but firm phone call, telling him basically that you can't trust anyone, people always have "an agenda" so you've got to keep your mouth shut.

Also, the DJs remarked that Jason referred to the band members as Mr. Page, Mr. Plant, Mr. Jones. He said he always felt like the kid around them, even though he was a grown man, until after the O2 experience which took him from boy to man. They asked if there was contact with them after his father died; Jason said "occasionally".

I have logged on half hour too late and have missed it :boohoo: but thanks FireOpal for the rundown on what he said. He does genuinely seem a lovely guy...for me has the whole package going on. I wonder if this station archives interviews?

The DJs asked him if he would be playing locally again and Jason said yes, most likely next summer. I hope I'm getting this right, but the guys then said something like "with Foreigner?" and Jason for sure said "Possibly something bigger." So that's good news, right?

okay so how could i not freak out over ^that? i need to hear this interview myself!

Luckiest family ever!

In another interview he has said that no-one even recognised them on this night, so these people didn't even know how lucky they are. To meet all 4 of the guys in an unguarded moment like that - rather than at a signing or event - would be something special.

In another interview he has said that no-one even recognised them on this night, so these people didn't even know how lucky they are. To meet all 4 of the guys in an unguarded moment like that - rather than at a signing or event - would be something special.

So, most clueless family ever, then. :)

I have logged on half hour too late and have missed it :boohoo: but thanks FireOpal for the rundown on what he said. He does genuinely seem a lovely guy...for me has the whole package going on. I wonder if this station archives interviews?

They have archived several previous interviews with other folks, including Chrissie Hynde & Rod Stewart, which you can download as podcasts. I'll e-mail them & ask if they'll put Jason's there next.

http://www.big106.com/cc-common/podcast.html

Hi Allison! And thanks to everyone who responded, glad you enjoyed it.

One more bit I remembered: Jason was asked if either of his kids play the drums, he said his son is more interested in sports and video games, and his daughter is into dance. She prefers rap and hip-hop to rock music. So it looks like there won't be a Bonzo dynasty, drum-wise.

No matter how hard I try, I just can't imagine Jonesy slicing the shit out of his hotel room with a sword. He just looks too......... "friendly." :P

I'm still cracking up over it. What a stinker. I wonder what else he got away with....

Thanks for sharing this wonderful interview, FireOpal, you did a fantastic job remembering all the details. :thumbsup:

Jason has a great sense of humor. I especially like the following comment. His mother must be around 90 years old, eh?

Other snippets from the conversation that I remember:

O2 concert attendees included John Bonham's mother and other family members. "There was a whole Bonham family crying section" Jason joked.

I can imagine JPJ doing it - it wouldn't be in anger or as out of control as Bonzo was. He would have been doing it with more a sense of mischief than destruction.

I also think the story of JPJ nearly burning down the hotel after passing out smoking dope with a drag-queen is great.

Or when he was passed out in the hallway and when he woke up, started abusing the staff for being in his room - until he realised he was in the hallway.

No matter how hard I try, I just can't imagine Jonesy slicing the shit out of his hotel room with a sword. He just looks too......... "friendly." :P

Don't be deceived! Jonesy said himself that he was the most likely to wander off with a bunch of hippies and disappear only to return just in time for soundcheck! The band would be wondering where he was, and he'd stumble in at the last minute. By his own admission his halo was a pastie! :lol:

Don't be deceived! Jonesy said himself that he was the most likely to wander off with a bunch of hippies and disappear only to return just in time for soundcheck! The band would be wondering where he was, and he'd stumble in at the last minute. By his own admission his halo was a pastie! :lol:

True. I do remember seeing some bootleg footage of Jonesy in the Starship fooling around with some groupies (I think) while Robert was just sitting there reading a book.

Still, it's sorta strange to think of him like that.... :P

True. I do remember seeing some bootleg footage of Jonesy in the Starship fooling around with some groupies (I think) while Robert was just sitting there reading a book.

Still, it's sorta strange to think of him like that.... :P

Where did you find that????!!!!

Archived