Coverdale on Zeppelin reunion

MrZoSo

I've posted this before (in exacting detail) so I'll just post again: Jimmy's back injury was not the result of performing on that tour. He got hurt offstage on his day off near LA.

You also say you have embarassing details on what it was he did. One's imagination reels at the possibilities.

I do feel that this time, as apposed to the other years you posted, they had better reason.

I still can't believe Jimmy is 65 years old. I remember when he jammed with Les Paul on his 72nd Birthday at the Hard Rock Cafe in New York (6/9/87) and being amazed Les was still actively playing gigs at that age.

Given a choice of Robert working with Jimmy, Jones, and Jason or the Strange Sensations, I cannot for the life of me understand how any Zeppelin (or Plant) fan would choose the latter. IMO it would be cowardice for Robert to turn down such an opportunity, if it exists at the time.

Robert's solo band works well as a means to support a vocalist. They are not really that engaging to listen to for the musicianship to people like me who are into the high intensity jamming aspect of Led Zeppelin. As a vocalist, I don't think Robert's really cares as much about what goes on in the band outside of the basic vibe or atmosphere struck. I'm sure he appreciates jamming to some degree, but in "solo artist mode" it's just not in his best interest to step to the side of the stage and let his bandmates play heroic solos for 10 minutes.

Yeah, I'm a misguided lunatic with some type of hidden agenda. Or perhaps I've got a

razor sharp memory which overcomes all this post-02 revisionism. The fact is for all it's

flaws the reunion at the Atlantic Records concert stoked the same false hopes. I very

distinctly recall the phrase "Road Ready" being used. Wishful thinking then...and now.

Sorry, I distinctly remember Live Aid and Atlantic and believe me, EVERYONE, including the most devoted Zep faithful, realized how poorly they played. I don't think anyone was taking their performances as any indication of "roadworthiness".

If anything, it put a pall on Jimmy's Outrider tour because as far as the greater public is concerned the last image they got of him was sticky fingers during his Heartbreaker solo at Atlantic. So they just assumed he couldn't play anymore. But he played much better on the tour.

Jimmy has really been trying to live down Live Aid and Atlantic ever since. And while they are much better overall, he had a few bad moments on the Unledded and Crowes discs too. His best performances always seem to be the ones that aren't recorded.

I'm not surprised by this article. But based on what I have been reading about the Plant/Krause tour lately, I think the chances of LZ playing live again are on the increase.

I love the way Coverdale puts words together. He is a caricature and he knows it and plays it up in a flamboyant, nonapologetic way. He's kind of the Harlequin novel version of Ozzy.

Absolutely.

I'm speaking strictly within the context of how both events stoked false hopes for more.

Is it not Jimmy's wish to continue? Was the public not lead to believe that something was cooking after Robert got done with his thing in September? I think it was real hope, it just hasn't worked out...Yet?

Sorry, I distinctly remember Live Aid and Atlantic and believe me, EVERYONE <snip>.

Favorable Led Zeppelin Concert Reviews (Atlantic Records Reunion):

Akron-Beacon Journal:

"Led Zeppelin Reunites for Atlantic Records 40th Anniversary Concert"

The Boston Globe: "Zep Reunion Icing on the Cake"

Boston Phoenix: "New York City Becomes Atlantic City"

Chicago Sun-Times: "Reunion Concert Spans Atlantic"

Los Angeles Times: "Zeppelin, Bee Gees Lead Atlantic Records Salute"

Newsday: "A Marathon of Pop's Past"

New York Times: "Atlantic Celebrates It's 40 Years of Rock and Soul"

Orlando Sentinel: "Atlantic Turns 40"

Philadelphia Inquirer: "Atlantic Records Birthday Bash Ends With Led Zeppelin Reunion"

San Diego Union-Tribune: "Whole Lotta Love" & "Zep Reunion Climaxes Atlantic Concert"

Seattle Post-Intelligencer: "12 Hours of 'Classical American Music' "

St. Paul Pioneer Press: "Zeppelin Soars"

Variety

Washington Post: "Rock 'n Roll Call"

Is it not Jimmy's wish to continue? Was the public not lead to believe that something was cooking after Robert got done with his thing in September?

Jimmy's been trying to remarry Robert Plant for 28 years. Besides, Robert AND Jason's tour commitments now stretch into late October.

Jimmy's been trying to remarry Robert Plant for 28 years. Besides, Robert AND Jason's tour commitments now stretch into late October.

I would love to see Led Zeppelin tour (as I'm sure any Zep fan would), but if that isn't in the cards then I'd really hope to see Jimmy move on to other projects.

Ozzy..........now there's an idea-----Jimmy, Jason, John Paul, and Ozzy!!!

Ideally they would come on and play Suicide Solution, and Ozzy would top himself at the end of the song.

I would love to see Led Zeppelin tour (as I'm sure any Zep fan would), but if that isn't in the cards then I'd really hope to see Jimmy move on to other projects.

I would certainly welcome new projects. The documentary sounds promising. I do think it's important for full consideration to be given to allowing his fans an ample opportunity

to say thank you and farewell (also known as a tour itinerary).

I would certainly welcome new projects. The documentary sounds promising. I do think it's important for full consideration to be given to allowing his fans an ample opportunity

to say thank you and farewell (also known as a tour itinerary).

Steve do you know an approximate release date for the documentary? I would really be interested in that.

here's the retraction from coverdale, courtesy of blabbermouth records. com:

WHITESNAKE Frontman Shoots Down LED ZEPPELIN Tour-Support Rumors - May 14, 2008

WHITESNAKE frontman David Coverdale has contacted UK's Classic Rock magazine to set the record straight about his band's so-called plans to go on tour with LED ZEPPELIN.

Earlier in the week Coverdale was quoted as saying: "I'm expecting a call from Jimmy

any day asking my band WHITESNAKE to support them on their world tour. Am I on board? You bet. Probably worth billions.”

In an e-mail to Classic Rock's Geoff Barton, Coverdale requested: "May I call upon your assistance, if needed, ol' cock, to help put out this shitstorm that be gathering steam about me supposedly saying I'm awaiting Lord Page's call to invite me to be the supporting act on the forthcoming LED ZEPPELIN world tour.

"What fucking world tour, we ask ourselves? We're already out on our Good To Be Bad world tour, thank you very much!"

Coverdale continued: "I have no idea where this started, Geoffers. But, with the wildfire of the internet, my poor ol' German publicist is fighting them off with her rusty, but trusty, Luger.

"I assure you there is no… (of course there fucking isn't) …any foundation in this.

"Why, after all the charming back-and-forths between one Monsieur Plant and oneself through the years, who could imagine such a premise possible? Not me, squire!

"Besides," Coverdale concluded, "I've got a hit record and a sold-out tour, and I'm currently pretty fucking busy playing nightly, and joyfully, with my Fab Musical Serpents, ol' chum! No complaints here…"

Steve do you know an approximate release date for the documentary? I would really be interested in that.

I have not seen a confirmed release date, although it is being screened at the Cannes Film Festival so clearly it is completed. I should think it will be soon, say June or July,

but that's just a guess at the moment.

Its very frustrating being a fan of Page at this time. It has been to long since we have seen him be productive, and seeing him gleaming with promise at the Japan press conferences I think gave us what Some feel a false sense of hope. My hope is that Jimmy proves everyone wrong, and also that he gets help, from some old friends. :)

I have not seen a confirmed release date, although it is being screened at the Cannes Film Festival so clearly it is completed. I should think it will be soon, say June or July,

but that's just a guess at the moment.

Thanks so much - I will be looking forward to that.

Its very frustrating being a fan of Page at this time. It has been to long since we have seen him be productive, and seeing him gleaming with promise at the Japan press conferences I think gave us what Some feel a false sense of hope. My hope is that Jimmy proves everyone wrong, and also that he gets help, from some old friends. :)

Except for Led Zeppelin, I think we should all accept that Jimmy has just about retired. He is all about being in Zeppelin, and who can blame him. It was his creation and anything else musically must be a letdown for him. He needs the chemistry he gets from Plant, Jones to be at his best. Unless they get back together and soon, I wouldn't expect to hear much from Jimmy Page professionally again.

He did leave Japan expressing a quiet determination to make "a return to the guitar". Suffice to say this does not necessarily have to mean a return to Led Zeppelin, nor a return to playing live, although I hope it will lead to live performances. It's worth noting the documentary project was already completed so it would seem he has something other than that in mind. I'm a cynical skeptic but even so, I do believe we'll have new music from Jimmy Page before the year is out.

I'm not surprised by this article. But based on what I have been reading about the Plant/Krause tour lately, I think the chances of LZ playing live again are on the increase.

Care to share?

He did leave Japan expressing a quiet determination to make "a return to the guitar". Suffice to say this does not necessarily have to mean a return to Led Zeppelin, nor a return to playing live, although I hope it will lead to live performances. It's worth noting the documentary project was already completed so it would seem he has something other than that in mind. I'm a cynical skeptic but even so, I do believe we'll have new music from Jimmy Page before the year is out.

I hope so. He has been willing to talk a lot recently. I can't wait to see this, but I still want him to release his album.

Given a choice of Robert working with Jimmy, Jones, and Jason or the Strange Sensations, I cannot for the life of me understand how any Zeppelin (or Plant) fan would choose the latter. IMO it would be cowardice for Robert to turn down such an opportunity, if it exists at the time.

Why choose one or the other.....personally I'd settle for both. I've seen Robert live with the Strange Sensation and it was quite entertaining.....better than what I expected. Whether Robert chooses to work with LZ or Strange Sensation, more power to him. :)

Actually the Atlantic Records 40th Anniversary concert took place exactly 20 years ago today. Just in case anyone was interested in marking the occassion in some sort of mini-celebration.

Wow! You're right. Time flies. I was there, and Live-Aid too. The Atlantic 40th was definitely better. I was pretty ecstatic at both of those events, though, just seeing a Zep reunion, even if they were 20 and 30 minutes, respectively. The Atlantic set had its problems but was far superior to the Live-Aid set.

I still can't believe Jimmy is 65 years old. I remember when he jammed with Les Paul on his 72nd Birthday at the Hard Rock Cafe in New York (6/9/87) and being amazed Les was still actively playing gigs at that age.

I thought he turned 64 this past January.

Archived