Oh my god, I hate Emos.

Bonham

When I was young, my emotions were toward my grandparents who were struggling through health problems and trying to not burden anyone, my parents who worked extra jobs to keep a house and provide for us, the retarded girl in school who overcame her learning problems and bravely interacted with everyone else. Self indulgence meant getting treated to a hamburger once a month, instead of leftover pot roast for the fourth night in a row... blah, blah, blah, to you and many in this generation, probably - but that's the way it was, and we were stronger for it. And I do clutch onto these memories...

that's not were i'm coming from. i don't claim to know it all or anything. to me

it seems like it's emotion reduced to it's most shallow form. it happens in a place in front

of a mirror or in front an audience or in front of friends and it happens inside them and it's only about things regarding them. in it's complete lack of higher emotion such as empathy and real compassion and it's tendencies to gravitate towards apathy.. it is a threat in that regard.

Thanks for the definition of a teenager.... ;)

When I was young, my emotions were toward my grandparents who were struggling through health problems and trying to not burden anyone, my parents who worked extra jobs to keep a house and provide for us, the retarded girl in school who overcame her learning problems and bravely interacted with everyone else. Self indulgence meant getting treated to a hamburger once a month, instead of leftover pot roast for the fourth night in a row... blah, blah, blah, to you and many in this generation, probably - but that's the way it was, and we were stronger for it. And I do clutch onto these memories...

Yeah and obviously under those conditions you certainly wouldn't have had time to be self-indulgent because life had to be gotten on with.

I wouldn't want to devalue that experience you went through, and who knows in how many ways it has benefitted you

But not everybody goes through your experience and you can't expect everybody to go through your experience.

My Grandparents always used to go on about the war, and what they had to put up with the war, but i didn't live during the war and I wasn't going to pretend to live through it in the 90's when I was a teenager

But I think they felt we should've experienced what they did, but we can't and probably not going to, and that's just life. That's how it goes.

Maybe to a lot of people they get angry because they don't realise how good these self-indulgent emo kids have got it.

But every plant flowers differently

And isn't that what our parents and grandparent fought so hard for? So the kids of today can have it so good? But you can't expect them to know how good it is. Shakespeare may have said "How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a thankless child" and kids will never know or appreciate the blood and tears that were spilt by our forefathers to create what we have today. Our future generations will never thank us for what we have done to make life better for them, but they're our children and that's what unconditional love is. You do it for them because you want to do it for them. You don't do it for them just for them to be grateful.

Sometimes, "thank you's" can be as meaningless as anything else that are just words. I certainly grumbled many of them to get my dad to stop telling the navy stories from the war or the growing up with cardboard shoes one. But the efforts to help, listen, or spend time with the ones you cared about were appreciated, and led to some level of self confidence and fulfillment. Most of us have experienced an abundance of our wants being satisfied more and more over each recent decade, the youngest in particular. Many will see a change in the reverse direction soon, I think. It will be important to to learn about the essential matters for them, being thrown into it could be further devastating.

It's a girl, silly....

And it's a fantastic look...

Maybe you're just getting a bit too old and out of touch ;)

Well, it's hard to tell 'cause there's no titties in view... :rolleyes:

Too old? I'm 22

Out of touch? Maybe...

Still, I hate "Emos"... Even if I found their looks to be 'Clownesque'.

Still, I hate "Emos"... Even if I found their looks to be 'Clownesque'.

Which is ironic, since by a look at your avatar, you're a Frank Zappa fan...

and Frank, as you would well know, was a huge intelligent, brilliant guy who was also wonderfully weird and fully accepting of a lot of different styles and cultures out there...

Which is ironic, since by a look at your avatar, you're a Frank Zappa fan...

and Frank, as you would well know, was a huge intelligent, brilliant guy who was also wonderfully weird and fully accepting of a lot of different styles and cultures out there...

He accepted different styles and cultures, yes but he was able to criticize them.

Just listen to 'We're Only In It For The Money'...

He criticize a lot the hippie movement and what he thought was a waste of time and minds.

What I want to say is: I don't see the point of following a trend only to become "part of the gang", you know?! I understand the fact that some might find some goods in being dressed that or that way, that is called freedom. BUT, some are following some vogues only because they've seen it on TV or because they want to be like all of their friends, even if its not their own personality.

I call them Sheeps.

Again, I don't really care about them.

I'm sorry, Gainesbarre, but your acceptance of a "style" that makes fun of a true mental condition is, to me, disrespectful and, quite frankly, disgraceful.

I'm going to repeat this:

As far as Emo, it isn't just adults mocking it this time. It's kids, too. The reason is because the whole "trend-Emo" culture is offensive to people who truly are "Emo" in the legitimate sense... they have a severe depression which starts off other mental issues, including suicidal tendencies, which, along with the need for escape and pain being a good escape, creates the urge to mutilate one's self. So it is a real problem for people.

I mean, imagine the social outcry if it became trendy to be retarded? (Forgive my use of the stereotype, but) People start wearing Football helmets, holding one hand to their chest, acting ADD, and, basically, acting like an actual retarded person, only they aren't? The outcry would be tremendous... you could imagine.

It's the exact same thing. True emo is a mental issue. It may not be genetic like Retardation, but it is a mental issue nonetheless. And "trend-Emo" kids are basically making fun of the actual problem. That's what the problem with this "trend" is.

Edit:

I knew I had already posted the story on here:

As far as Emos go... I hate the posers, because I knew a truly Emo girl. Very depressed, (sexually) abused at home, very heavily into drugs, specifically Crystal Meth... my ex found her in the women's bathroom once... slit both her wrists, blood everywhere... she was nearly dead. My ex called me in and then called the ambulance. I grabbed a ton of paper towels in an attempt to stop the blood and my ex and I held this girl's wrists over her head and put the paper towels on the cuts, which were incredibly deep... she barely survived but needed stitches.

Now that is true "emo." She's getting help now and has been put into foster care... and the parents she now has are amazing people. The girl has now stopped dressing so drearily, she goes to Georgia Tech, has a boyfriend... I also got her into Blues and Classic Rock... she loves Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd and Jimi Hendrix and The Beatles. The only hold-over music she still listens to from her Emo days are Nirvana and The Doors.

From 6th grade to 9th grade I was also depressed and contemplated suicide. I did cut myself, too, although the only time I ever slit my wrist was an accident.

I don't know much about the lifestyle, but I do know about the music:

It is the most whiny and annoying style of music I have ever heard. It is terrible.

And it seems like most of the youth are into it. I can't understand how, but they are.

The worst is "screamo".

I'm sorry, Gainesbarre, but your acceptance of a "style" that makes fun a true mental condition is, to me, disrespectful and, quite frankly, disgraceful.

The trend, Gainesbarre, is disgusting, disrespectful, and should be wiped off the face of the Earth. It is a mockery of a mental condition. I mean, imagine the outcry if Retardation became a trend? And yes, it is the same thing. They may be two very different kinds of mental conditions, but both are major mental conditions, and making a trend out of one (Emo) is just as bad as making a trend out of the other.

I'm sorry, but you're just crapping on, sad story and all, I know, but you're not the only one who's been there

I've been looking after my cousin for 5 years who's had severe depression (with a million other things), and mate, I've seen it all, the suicide attempts, the horrible black days/months, even some days where you wonder if you're gonna get out alive because he's also a paranoid schizophrenic with a tendency towards violent episodes, so you know, I've seen him try to stab himself and he's also tried to stab me, we've been back and forth out of that many institutions and care-homes and psychiatrists its not funny

And he's not the only one who had it, I've dealt with 2 other family members with emotional and mental problems

And I've battled through every one of them and stood by them through all sorts of the most unimaginable pain...

So you know, nice of you to share your stories, but I've been there too mate, to hell and back many times

and you know what it's taught me? To tolerate and to accept people however they come to you, with whatever problem they have, to look beyond it, to see how they're suffering, and to understand, man, to understand...

To understand that I am not them, I am not feeling what they are feeling and that i will not always understand what they are going through, all I will ever understand is what I'm feeling...But to persist regardless and give them their due respect which many people don't.

And I have had people, especially a lot of teenagers, come crying to me, some suicidal, with what could be considered very trivial and shallow problems... And even inside, when you think they may be being slightly ridiculous and overreacting you still treat their emotions with respect

Dealing with those kids showed me that pain is not a uniform measurement... there is no official 'size' of pain...it is always relevant to the sufferer...

The emotional pain you feel might be nothing to me if I felt it, but it could be absolutely killing you, does that make it any less painfull??? No, because we're all different

the pain that a teenage girl feels when her boyfriend breaks up with her could be just as painful as a woman who's husband has just died...

Pain is like a bullet: some people need a lot of gun powder before it will fire, other people only need a tiny amount to set it off...but once its been fired, it's there, and that's it.

Some people don't need much to make them feel miserable, while other people can get through a lot, and it takes something really heavy to make them feel pain

That's just how we are, everyone is different.

So don't presume you know exactly what people are feeling or thinking. Don't just assume every emo is making a mockery out of depression and suffering.

There will always be posers, and there will always be people who think they've got it worse, and there will always be people who will have it worse...

But like I said, what I've learnt in being with people with mental problems and depression is that you accept people for what they are, and you don't mock, scorn or laugh at emotional things that could seem very trite and silly to you, when it means something very precious to them...

I'm sorry, Gainesbarre, but your acceptance of a "style" that makes fun of a true mental condition is, to me, disrespectful and, quite frankly, disgraceful.

I'm going to repeat this:

Edit:

I knew I had already posted the story on here:

Yes, and Chuck Manson heard a call to destruction in the Beatles music, Kids thought that Judas priest wanted them to off themselves etc, etc.

The 2nd story hits upon the true issue... parents that have either neglected their kids, or worse abused them, and kids go looking for something to identify with. Parents are doing these things to their kids more often in our society (mostly neglect) than ever before, hence these problems seem new. The problem is not new, however the numbers of neglected kids is at an all time high.

By all means lets blame the music, and the style associated with it. :rolleyes:

Good post.

Thank you.

I mean take you, for example, DRUNK. I mean I may not agree with your opinions or even sometimes to driven to wild indignation over a comment you might make, but I can't begin to understand what it's like for you being in Iraq and fighting, being in that situation. So, however that affects you, I have to respect that and how you are dealing with it emotionally. It's not for me to criticise or condemn whatever your reactions or emotions are to the situation you are in.

Here is something I posted on my School's myspace school page.

Dan is a good swimmer wrote:

I mean dude, i just have never cared for classical rock music, because, I BELIEVE, THAT THE ARTISTIC THEMES IT EMBODIES ARE NOT PRESENTED IN A MANNER THAT IS INTELLECTUALLY RELEVANT FOR MODERN PEOPLE.

You are fucking stupid. a dumbass if you think this. Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath made music what it was. they created heavy metal. You wouldnt have certain kinds of music if you didnt have these guys.

Emo, techno, country, rap and hip-hop are the worst. now, its time for a lecture (I took the other stuff out):

EMO:

Dan is a good swimmer, because you're and emo defender, and listen to this shit, lemme tell you something. CUTTING YOUR WRISTS SINGING LIKE A DOUCHEBAG AND PLAYING WIMPY EMO CHORDS REQUIRES NO TALENT! I play guitar I now. Emos have good lives. They live in America. They have can practically swim in rights and privledges.

Dan is a good swimmer, it seems you are swimming in stuff you cant get though. you shot your mouth off, now back it up. Name me an instants where Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath or Cream or any classic rock artist ripped off a artist from today? NEVER! because they were around first! That the era when people exploded the guitar. Playing everything properly and not taking the easy was out. Playing the Pentatonic scales and learning how to solo from that instead of playing a tenth of it and calling it good. Learning music theory instead of playing bull shit. Learning 100 songs instead on 100 intros.

then tell me why is Led Zeppelin always voted the number one band on VH1 every year and Black Sabbath being number 2. Tell me why Led Zeppelin and Van Halen destroyed the planted and revolutionized music?

Believe it or not Dan, there is a lot of shit you dont know.

study your stuff before you shoot your big fucking mouth off.

top this!

Not sure if this is relevant or not, but I know plenty of people who dress "normal" and have problems that I could not imagine having. Bad divorces, drug problems, drunken fathers, the works. But every day, they get up and go to school. They walk, they talk, they laugh like the rest of us. I dunno, they're probably just stronger than I am.

Also, it's hard to tell a skater and an emo. They dress the same but have similar attitudes.

Not sure if this is relevant or not, but I know plenty of people who dress "normal" and have problems that I could not imagine having. Bad divorces, drug problems, drunken fathers, the works. But every day, they get up and go to school. They walk, they talk, they laugh like the rest of us. I dunno, they're probably just stronger than I am.

Also, it's hard to tell a skater and an emo. They dress the same but have similar attitudes.

Really, the main thing that bothers me is the whole scene that surrounds it. It's like a trend. I've never been a fan of generalizing my identity like that, and it makes me sick when other people flock together to do so. I haven't really researched it in depth.. but from what I've noticed, if you look at the youth movements of the past: 'hippies', 'punks', 'goths', 'emos'.. they really tend to become a paradox of their original intentions in ways.. they claim to be rebellious, free-thinking individuals, but they end up flocking together and becoming the same thing. In my opinion, it's a very closed way to look at life and what a person can truly be if they are looking to project their individuality.

:hysterical:

EMO are like Emu's, they shuffle their feet, smells like a dead hooker, kick midgets, and peck at shit all day.

e0402.gif

EMO_Pussies.jpg

emo.jpg

:lol:

Quick, get a board and call an ambulance. Whatevers wrong we don't want it spreading.

:hysterical: :hysterical:

Archived