Jimmy Page - the rest of his career

beatbo

Several Zep songs are perfectly suited for orchestral arrangements like The Rain Song, No Quarter and of course Kashmir, to name a few, use your imagination.

No, no no. That's simply Unledded all over again, only sans Robert.

Since Jimmy needs an excuse to tour, he should release a greatest hits cd/dvd of all his best post Zeppelin material. He can tour with JPJ, Jason and a young popular rock singer...take your pick. While on tour they can also play instrumental versions of Jimmy's new material that he's been working on. I think Jimmy wants to make sure that the new material gets the most exposure possible, which won't happen until Robert decides to sing with him again. So he shouldn't formally record it until Robert gives him a committment, which he might down the road.

This could fill the next 1-2 years, by then you know who may be ready to come back and sing with the boys.

You can throw in some zooma into the setlist (greatly enhanced with Jimmy's leads), as well as the 3 instrumentals from Outrider. Shouldn't be hard to fill the setlist.

Never heard it. I think it would be better focus on the jams and not trying to write verse/chorus/verse/chorus hooky stuff. It's instrumental. That's the whole concept.

No. The name doesn't really matter.

i had already mentioned zooma, but as anyone who say jpj and that tour knows, those songs were played fully enhanced. perhaps pagey could give them a whole new direction.

i don't know, buddy. sounds like you got it all figured out. it's instrumental, that's the whole concept. names don't matter.

better let some one else take this to page. you manged to take a decent idea and make it sound boring....

Since Jimmy needs an excuse to tour, he should release a greatest hits cd/dvd of all his best post Zeppelin material. He can tour with JPJ, Jason and a young popular rock singer...take your pick. While on tour they can also play instrumental versions of Jimmy's new material that he's been working on. I think Jimmy wants to make sure that the new material gets the most exposure possible, which won't happen until Robert decides to sing with him again. So he shouldn't formally record it until Robert gives him a committment, which he might down the road.

This could fill the next 1-2 years, by then you know who may be ready to come back and sing with the boys.

that would be:

deathwish

outrider

walking into clarksdale

jugula

you could throw in some of the 'lucifer rising' material

especially after you subtract 'clarksdale' from the list.....

you're fired.

Here's my alternate idea: Jimmy gets his own cable television comedy sitcom. The premise is

he plays the part of an eccentric English magician named Ruffles (inspired by what he wore

to Japan...and what he'll wear on this show). Ruffles spends his days attending art auctions,

buying guitars, taking exotic trips and dining out. The exotic trip element allows for filming at a myriad of locations around the globe, while the auction, musical gear and fine dining elements

afford an opportunity to inform and educate as well as entertain.

So Jimmy plays the lead role but there is also a supporting cast: Shutter Bug, close friend of

Ruffles with a penchant for ogling beautiful Japanese women, and Roy Roy, a down to earth folk singer who speaks only in riddles.

Me, too. Just be his own guitar army and do a solo album. Get crazy in the studio and don't worry about touring. I also woudn't mind an acoustic album with JPJ- that could be kick ass.

I guess I'd also like to see Jason do a percussion army of his own. I would be very interested to hear that.

Now, if the three of them wanted to do something together, I wish it'd be just instrumental (for various reasons I'm too distracted to go into at the moment).

I'm with Suz on these suggestions. I would love to hear what JPJ and Jason can come up with together.

I hate the idea of him performing with Clapton, they're from two different planets. Beck might be fun but, frankly, it's Jimmy's time to shine, he doesn't need another lead guitar on stage.

As for singers, yeah it would be hard but not impossible to replace Robert. It's Robert's call, anyway; Jimmy's certainly displayed adequate patience and dedication. If Plant doesn't want to join them, well, hell - we all saw what happened the last time Jimmy put a band together. :)

How about instead of two guitarists, have two singers, male and female? Makes it clear how hard Robert is to replace, but, replaces him, too. Especially be fun to see new music come out, interepreted by different voices.

i'm with you on "pass on clapton", besides looks like cream is coming again.

i was making a mix disc today and i burned a killer joe walsh cd. joe walsh and jimmy page-maybe it's about time! joe can sing, and he's one of the most under-rated guitar players on the planet. and they are obviously friends...

i also have a secret obsession with pairing page with carlos santana. i happened to read santana mentioning jimmy as a fantasy collaborator, and i've always thought that would work...especially live. they both cover each end of the "hoodoo" spectrum.

i've said this many times-i would pay to see page play a doughnut, and having jpj interested again is exciting. so, after this thread has run it's course, i will unveil the "master plan".

excellent choice for director. very aware of how music moves through film.

abba? i was kidding (what with the musical and all). ever see 'detroit rock city'? somehow i see zep more serious than that, but who knows.

i, too, would like to see something page has written besides music. i'm holding out for a book, but to be honest, i would buy a rabid hyena with an attitude problem if he had page's picture on him.

i think after sorting through your ideas that you might have a shot at this as well. thanks for the posts!

:lol:

I hear ya'.

Off topic, but, speaking of pictures, love your sig pic. Especially the young woman having a moment of Madelin Kahn-like enlightenment in the second row...

I just don't get what's wrong with playing with yourself.

B)

:D

i'm with you on "pass on clapton", besides looks like cream is coming again.

i was making a mix disc today and i burned a killer joe walsh cd. joe walsh and jimmy page-maybe it's about time! joe can sing, and he's one of the most under-rated guitar players on the planet. and they are obviously friends...

i also have a secret obsession with pairing page with carlos santana. i happened to read santana mentioning jimmy as a fantasy collaborator, and i've always thought that would work...especially live. they both cover each end of the "hoodoo" spectrum.

i've said this many times-i would pay to see page play a doughnut, and having jpj interested again is exciting. so, after this thread has run it's course, i will unveil the "master plan".

Lovely ideas! Yeah, Carlos "gets it," too... how about him, Jimmy and Joe Walsh? Guitar army indeed! Jason bangin' on the drums, John Paul holding down the floor... this has possibilities.

Just wanted to add, The Three Js works for me as a band name. "The Three Js with special guests XYZ" maybe?

Release a 77-80 live album

Get Plant, Jones and Bonham(jason) to finish recording any leftover projects from the Zeppelin era

Do a residency at a club in London, New York and Toyko playing all of Page's music

From this residency, release a album collaborating with whomever sat in/dropped in

Tour with as the 3j's, singer unknown at this point

Allow Robert Plant to wander away and wander back to the tit of Led Zeppelin

Release a 77-80 live album

Get Plant, Jones and Bonham(jason) to finish recording any leftover projects from the Zeppelin era

Do a residency at a club in London, New York and Toyko playing all of Page's music

From this residency, release a album collaborating with whomever sat in/dropped in

Tour with as the 3j's, singer unknown at this point

Allow Robert Plant to wander away and wander back to the tit of Led Zeppelin

most of this is an excellent, workable idea. i would amend your first action point to include a writing session between the 3 J's to add to any leftover material-if indeed there is anything left worth capping.

why not start from scratch? or at least with music jones and page have laying around from the last 2-3 years?

a residency would be a cool, pressure free way to record the last nite-much like the crowes page at the greek.

red star, kdh....

I think it's time for Jimmy and Jonesy to get cracking again. If it's true that RP and AK are going to go back into the studio, they've waited long enough. Both of them have been basically doing nothing but busywork since the O2, showing up at awards ceremonies, doing interviews, and hanging with the Foos. You have to imagine this was intended to give Robert breathing room to wind down the Raising Sand tour. Enough is enough. If RP won't at least commit to sharing his time between AK and Zep, then they should consider him out of the picture for the forseeable future.

I don't have any new ideas. I had a tape of the Yardbirds from the House of Blues Cambridge circa 2001 or 2. I got way out on a limb guessing what year it was from 67 or 8. Boy was I wrong. I'm not easy to fool either, I'm an educated listener. I don't think Jimmy practices enough to be a Yardbird. Nonetheless, I have Yardbirds reunion fantasies. Jeff Beck said out loud on VH-1 (or something) that he's offered to work with Jimmy, Jimmy is like oh sure definitely...then nothing.

I've had the Jack White fantasy, but Jack has been struggling with his voice since the Euro leg of the Get Behind me Satan tour. His high voice is going. I saw the Ranconteurs on the internet.. was that Bonnaroo? Can't remember. They were a lot better than that "steady as she goes" song, but Jack couldn't hit any high notes at all, and the tension of him trying was very Zeppelin 75. They would still need a singer.

I don't have any new ideas. I had a tape of the Yardbirds from the House of Blues Cambridge circa 2001 or 2. I got way out on a limb guessing what year it was from 67 or 8. Boy was I wrong. I'm not easy to fool either, I'm an educated listener. I don't think Jimmy practices enough to be a Yardbird. Nonetheless, I have Yardbirds reunion fantasies. Jeff Beck said out loud on VH-1 (or something) that he's offered to work with Jimmy, Jimmy is like oh sure definitely...then nothing.

I've had the Jack White fantasy, but Jack has been struggling with his voice since the Euro leg of the Get Behind me Satan tour. His high voice is going. I saw the Ranconteurs on the internet.. was that Bonnaroo? Can't remember. They were a lot better than that "steady as she goes" song, but Jack couldn't hit any high notes at all, and the tension of him trying was very Zeppelin 75. They would still need a singer.

You might be referring to Austin City Limits--anyway, Jack had surgery for his voice a year or two ago (I'm assuming similar to what Plant had, way back when), but I still think he (both of them!) has a phenomenal voice. Also, I think that show was recorded when he was still on the mend, because I've seen him since, and he could definitely really get up there. But again, it's not how high he can sing that makes him so good. Ditto Plant.

I don't have any new ideas. I had a tape of the Yardbirds from the House of Blues Cambridge circa 2001 or 2. I got way out on a limb guessing what year it was from 67 or 8. Boy was I wrong. I'm not easy to fool either, I'm an educated listener. I don't think Jimmy practices enough to be a Yardbird.

I don't get it, he played brilliantly with Robert in '98 and maybe even better with the Crowes in 2000. He played great with Zep at O2, especially considering there were no warm up gigs. And you don't think he's up to playing Yardbirds tunes?!?

Remainder of 2008 - Work with JPJ to finalize new music, finish past unfinished music, brainstorm & seek appropriate band members

2009 One-off at Tuscany to unveil new music w/ professional film crew present and accounted for, of course. Assuming some of the new music will be appropriate, guest singer Andrea Bocelli, guest orchestra under direction of JPJ (minimize orchestra influence on music - no elevator shit), guest worthy guitarist(s) for the guitar army stuff (offer to Joe Bonamassa, Warren Haynes), AND seek best possible lead vocalist that fits best with new music. Perform new music, two R & R classics, 2 Blues classics, acoustic set (BOE w/Charlotte Church or Sarah Brightman & new lead vocalist) & at least one Bocelli standard (Time to Say Goodbye or Miserere w/an electric/blues twist could be great).

2009-10 Two 4 month tours, separated by a 4 month rest/rejuvination. First tour UK, Europe, wherever else over there (not too great on geography - I'm a career consultant, remember), second tour US & South America. Guest bands or performers pre-planned and scheduled as appropriate to region. (ie - Southern US with Allman Brothers (Greg's voice was awesome before latest bout with Hep C - hopefully back to par by tour time- rest of band is impeccable) & Allison Krause guest vocalist/violinist/fiddle player, whatever). Tour performances similar to one-off above w/focus on new music. Percentage of net profits of each performance goes to worthy cause in that area - several worthy charities in each area presented by venue owner/manager - JP & Jimena (sp?) to select.

2011 Release Tuscany & tour highlight DVD.

2012 Finish autobiography, release & appear on 2 or 3 part series of Larry King live or Conan. Retire to live happily ever after for the rest of his days.

Monthly - pay career consultant enormous sums of cash and become fast friends B)

his management is gearing up to present a timeline, with logistics and an action plan.

you-super rock music consultant-have been hired to develop all ideas into the most viable and possibly successful proposal.

Good this this is hypothetical only, because there's nothing less Rock 'N' Roll than "logistics, action plans, and music consultants".

2008: Complete recording of new solo album with guest vocalists, build touring band.

2009: Take touring band out for short tours of UK and US. Summer 2009 play some of the big festivals like the UK's Glastonbury and US's Lollapalooza.

2010: Record album with Roy Harper (under the name S. Flavius Mercurius).

2011: Become a full time producer/open studio in London

2012: Tell Timbaland to suck it.

Remainder of 2008 - Work with JPJ to finalize new music, finish past unfinished music, brainstorm & seek appropriate band members

2009 One-off at Tuscany to unveil new music w/ professional film crew present and accounted for, of course. Assuming some of the new music will be appropriate, guest singer Andrea Bocelli, guest orchestra under direction of JPJ (minimize orchestra influence on music - no elevator shit), guest worthy guitarist(s) for the guitar army stuff (offer to Joe Bonamassa, Warren Haynes), AND seek best possible lead vocalist that fits best with new music. Perform new music, two R & R classics, 2 Blues classics, acoustic set (BOE w/Charlotte Church or Sarah Brightman & new lead vocalist) & at least one Bocelli standard (Time to Say Goodbye or Miserere w/an electric/blues twist could be great).

2009-10 Two 4 month tours, separated by a 4 month rest/rejuvination. First tour UK, Europe, wherever else over there (not too great on geography - I'm a career consultant, remember), second tour US & South America. Guest bands or performers pre-planned and scheduled as appropriate to region. (ie - Southern US with Allman Brothers (Greg's voice was awesome before latest bout with Hep C - hopefully back to par by tour time- rest of band is impeccable) & Allison Krause guest vocalist/violinist/fiddle player, whatever). Tour performances similar to one-off above w/focus on new music. Percentage of net profits of each performance goes to worthy cause in that area - several worthy charities in each area presented by venue owner/manager - JP & Jimena (sp?) to select.

2012 Finish autobiography, release & appear on 2 or 3 part series of Larry King live or Conan. Retire to live happily ever after for the rest of his days.

Monthly - pay career consultant enormous sums of cash and become fast friends B)

excellent work. very tangible ideas, with emphasis on new music and tour. very good vision-look for situations for the artist to create, help find avenues of commerce to recieve cashflow and audience love. ask for fee.

very nice....

Good this this is hypothetical only, because there's nothing less Rock 'N' Roll than "logistics, action plans, and music consultants".

2008: Complete recording of new solo album with guest vocalists, build touring band.

2009: Take touring band out for short tours of UK and US. Summer 2009 play some of the big festivals like the UK's Glastonbury and US's Lollapalooza.

2010: Record album with Roy Harper (under the name S. Flavius Mercurius).

2011: Become a full time producer/open studio in London

2012: Tell Timbaland to suck it.

i love the solo album, i think everyone here wants one or one with the other 2 j's. i was hoping for some suggestions on the guest vocalists...

festivals-great idea!

play with roy-others have suggested it, but that's no reason to discard it. i would buy it...

produce other music-this is your best idea, ledout. the man has a canon of music that is some of the best produced rock ever recorded. there is no reason he can't apply similar standards, continue to experiment and grow as a producer, and help record adddtions to his body of work (as producer).

buddy, i'm with ya on what sounds 'less rock and roll" but i'm a member of the stage electrician's union and the actual playing of the show is about 15% of what it takes to get the artist out there. and that means "logistics", and "action plans". as far as consultants, yeah, good thing this is hypothetical...

buddy, i'm with ya on what sounds 'less rock and roll" but i'm a member of the stage electrician's union and the actual playing of the show is about 15% of what it takes to get the artist out there. and that means "logistics", and "action plans". as far as consultants, yeah, good thing this is hypothetical...

I can believe it, it is a business after all.

After reading this, my idea of The Jimmy Page Experience (although it was a joke!!!) sounds more stupid. Good ideas, especially those that I put in ......

Archived