Reunion DVD

if your a musician you would know you dont need to be versitile? the fretting and chording are the same except the instument is tuned down..the keyboard would obviously transponse..and those are the only sorces available ..i havent heard of a sbd. recording??? the songs dont sound and feel the same...Kasmir almost sounds like a death metal or type o negative song??? respond...

What makes you think I'm not a musician?

You don't have to be a session musician to know that you do!

I have one.

Most of their songs are in low keys anyway like E or their relative minor etc, even the open tunings weren't that much of a stretch to sing.

It's just that back when the music was fresh 40 years ago Robert sang in the higher octaves but still in the same pitch so the only thing that has changed is the times.

He has a remarkable voice and Jimmy plays like all wannabes wish they could and JPJ (show me a better multi faceted musical genius), are pretty damned good for Sexagenarians.

BTW, Kashmir sounds just fine, even though I prefer the Les Paul's tone but that's just me.

Be thankful we got what we got to hear and see in the first place.

What makes you think I'm not a musician?

You don't have to be a session musician to know that you do!

I have one.

Most of their songs are in low keys anyway like E or their relative minor etc, even the open tunings weren't that much of a stretch to sing.

It's just that back when the music was fresh 40 years ago Robert sang in the higher octaves but still in the same pitch so the only thing that has changed is the times.

He has a remarkable voice and Jimmy plays like all wannabes wish they could and JPJ (show me a better multi faceted musical genius), are pretty damned good for Sexagenarians.

BTW, Kashmir sounds just fine, even though I prefer the Les Paul's tone but that's just me.

Be thankful we got what we got to hear and see in the first place.

definetly..im just a dreamin..that somrthing so majical..? could happen again cuz i never had the chance too see zeppelin perform here in detroit mi. but thats my opinion why that o2 show hasnt been officially released...respond.....

definetly..im just a dreamin..that somrthing so majical..? could happen again cuz i never had the chance too see zeppelin perform here in detroit mi. but thats my opinion why that o2 show hasnt been officially released...respond.....

I wish I could give an answer on why it hasn't or when it will be.

What I do know is that unlike the days when they recorded albums in a matter of weeks, Jimmy tends to take his time in releasing anything nowadays.

The other thing that's being overlooked is who actually owns the rights to the concert?

So it may not be so simple to release it given that there were other bands and performers who contributed on the night.

Obviously they were the icing on the cake and most likely who the audience came to see but the other acts were pretty darn good from all reports I've read.

My guess is, being a charity inspired event for The Ahmet Education Fund there may be legal issues to be sorted out.

And we all know how slow lawyers can be during legal processes.

One thing I have learned is to be patient and all will be revealed, eventually.

The only question is, when?

I wish I could give an answer on why it hasn't or when it will be.

What I do know is that unlike the days when they recorded albums in a matter of weeks, Jimmy tends to take his time in releasing anything nowadays.

The other thing that's being overlooked is who actually owns the rights to the concert?

So it may not be so simple to release it given that there were other bands and performers who contributed on the night.

Obviously they were the icing on the cake and most likely who the audience came to see but the other acts were pretty darn good from all reports I've read.

My guess is, being a charity inspired event for The Ahmet Education Fund there may be legal issues to be sorted out.

And we all know how slow lawyers can be during legal processes.

One thing I have learned is to be patient and all will be revealed, eventually.

The only question is, when?

i would like to see the song remins the same out takes put into a comlete set including thank you if they had enough film left too record it.. bassicly something from that era ..maybe a bootleg exists?? ...reply b4 i pass out..2:15am detroit mi. usa

Everybody knew the second it happened there would be an enormous demand for the DVD of that concert. No matter what it sounded like. I would go see it at a theater even. I would imagine that the reason it's not out yet is because it wasn't a Led Zeppelin concert. There were other bands. I agree with whoever brought up that fact earlier. It was an Atlantic event. Personally I would buy a bigger DVD set with all the bands that were there. If it were put out I think it would be a question of how the money would be split up. They all deserve their share. Then that's a whole new kettle of fish. Nobody would ever be able to convince me that all of this wasn't considered the second someone said, "I have an idea for a concert." Even if someone admitted,

..."we didn't expected this, we knew Led Zeppelin would bring them in but all of this attention 24/7 more than a year after? We thought people would be oh yes I remember, how nice Led Zeppelin did that concert, put a pot of tea on and lets play scrabble. We'll listen to the Layla album and ponder just how lucky we are to live in a world with Led Zeppelin, just knowing that they did that concert is good enough for me. They may never play together again but I don't need to hear it. We'll go on the computer later, look at England have a cigarette and a gin and tonic, sigh and go to bed"...

I would not believe them. Just a thought has anyone ever got an official statement from Atlantic records about this?

Everybody knew the second it happened there would be an enormous demand for the DVD of that concert. No matter what it sounded like. I would go see it at a theater even. I would imagine that the reason it's not out yet is because it wasn't a Led Zeppelin concert. There were other bands. I agree with whoever brought up that fact earlier. It was an Atlantic event. Personally I would buy a bigger DVD set with all the bands that were there. If it were put out I think it would be a question of how the money would be split up. They all deserve their share. Then that's a whole new kettle of fish. Nobody would ever be able to convince me that all of this wasn't considered the second someone said, "I have an idea for a concert." Even if someone admitted,

..."we didn't expected this, we knew Led Zeppelin would bring them in but all of this attention 24/7 more than a year after? We thought people would be oh yes I remember, how nice Led Zeppelin did that concert, put a pot of tea on and lets play scrabble. We'll listen to the Layla album and ponder just how lucky we are to live in a world with Led Zeppelin, just knowing that they did that concert is good enough for me. They may never play together again but I don't need to hear it. We'll go on the computer later, look at England have a cigarette and a gin and tonic, sigh and go to bed"...

I would not believe them. Just a thought has anyone ever got an official statement from Atlantic records about this?

Most of whom did one song each.

It was a Led Zeppelin concert, that was its whole point--to reunite Zeppelin to play a tribute to Ahmet.

Personally I don't think all of that has anything to do with why it hasn't been released, and the band has everything to do with it (not just Jimmy).

yea well 17 years left haha

Awesome!!!! Can anyone is this "band" ever say yes or no?? every answer leaves us guessing. "Not touring for 2 years"....not in the "foreseeable future" blah...blah....blah.... what a rollercoaster ride.

I think I need to stop looking at this site (and dreaming) and just wait until something happens, if it ever does happen :slapface:

To hell with those bloody stamps for god sake!

WE WANT THE DVD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What the hell takes you so long? Are you gonna wait for the 100 year anniversary of that concert?

be patient im sure its gonna have to come remember The Song Remains The Same? the Led Zeppelin DVD? thats just Jimmy he likes to wait a LONG time

• 2 weeks later...

I can't think they'll put out the gig on DVD or Blu-ray - reasons being:

1. the performance was good, but not great - and, as we know, they're not a band to put anything out that is in any way substandard (which is one of the very many reasons I love them)

2. Page's playing is not great - much as I revere him. He's fine on the big riffs but when he is exposed (the solos on both 'Since I've Been Loving You' and 'Stairway' as examples) it's painfully clear he doesn't have the skills of 30 years ago, a shame to say this but it's true

3. Plant singing - obviously some controversy here regarding keys etc, I think it's all pretty good with some tweaking, but clearly a concern for him in various interviews he has given and are mentioned here

4. why allow all the YouTube and similar sites to run unchecked? When the clips first went up there (the day after the gig) I believe they were removed by an over zealous legal department but then allowed to be put back up. If the band were that precious about it they would get it all yanked down (a la any Prince footage on YouTube and the like)

I would love to see an official DVD/Blu-ray of it but can't see this happening. Page will want to do it, I would think, but would have to have all permissions from all members, and Plant - as we know - will probably not budge on this one. The event was the event, one night only, 'one last great gig' (Plant, Uncut Magazine) - the bootlegs (audio and video) are the band's gift to the world (making no money themselves from these). Best someone can do is get hold of the best audio source and all the available video and produce a multi-camera version and put this out. Who has the time/resources to do this?

1. the performance was good, but not great - and, as we know, they're not a band to put anything out that is in any way substandard (which is one of the very many reasons I love them)

2. Page's playing is not great - much as I revere him. He's fine on the big riffs but when he is exposed (the solos on both 'Since I've Been Loving You' and 'Stairway' as examples) it's painfully clear he doesn't have the skills of 30 years ago, a shame to say this but it's true

3. Plant singing - obviously some controversy here regarding keys etc, I think it's all pretty good with some tweaking, but clearly a concern for him in various interviews he has given and are mentioned here

4. why allow all the YouTube and similar sites to run unchecked? When the clips first went up there (the day after the gig) I believe they were removed by an over zealous legal department but then allowed to be put back up. If the band were that precious about it they would get it all yanked down (a la any Prince footage on YouTube and the like)

I would love to see an official DVD/Blu-ray of it but can't see this happening. Page will want to do it, I would think, but would have to have all permissions from all members, and Plant - as we know - will probably not budge on this one. The event was the event, one night only, 'one last great gig' (Plant, Uncut Magazine) - the bootlegs (audio and video) are the band's gift to the world (making no money themselves from these). Best someone can do is get hold of the best audio source and all the available video and produce a multi-camera version and put this out. Who has the time/resources to do this?

Why would you assume Robert is the one not budging? Could have been any/all of them for any number of reasons.

Good but not great are you kidding? I was there and it was great! They were as good as when I saw them in the 70's! Are you just one of those people that are pissed because you could not go see them at the 02?

Reply to allbettsareoff -

I was very privileged to have been at the O2 that evening and had waited 27 years for them to do this. The evening and the experience was jaw-droppingly brilliant from start to end - my point is that Jimmy's playing in particular didn't reach the stellar perfection of their heyday and this may be a factor in not releasing it. Listen to SIBLY or Stairway and tell me the solos are as good? The band's quality bar is set very, very high (which is why we love them) and anything substandard won't cut it. That's why we'll probably never see official releases of Seattle '77 or complete Earl's Court/Knebworth gigs.

Why would you assume Robert is the one not budging? Could have been any/all of them for any number of reasons.

Point taken, I'll backtrack on this, although clearly Robert is the one who doesn't want to progress with the band any further - and I think he's right, much as it pains me to say. Steve A. Jones is correct when he says this is all nostalgia - it ended in 1980.

Reply to allbettsareoff -

I was very privileged to have been at the O2 that evening and had waited 27 years for them to do this. The evening and the experience was jaw-droppingly brilliant from start to end - my point is that Jimmy's playing in particular didn't reach the stellar perfection of their heyday and this may be a factor in not releasing it. Listen to SIBLY or Stairway and tell me the solos are as good? The band's quality bar is set very, very high (which is why we love them) and anything substandard won't cut it. That's why we'll probably never see official releases of Seattle '77 or complete Earl's Court/Knebworth gigs.

Yah i think hes fine. Remember he was dealng with a broken pinkie too.

• 2 weeks later...

No he wasn't--it was healed by that time, or he'd never have gone ahead with the show.

Just because it was good enough to play with that doesn't mean it was healed. Anyone who's broken a digit can tell you that it does not miraculously heal in the time frame between Jimmy's injury and the concert.

• 1 month later...

reading ross halfin's blog, he mentions last week hanging out with Jimmy Page and finishing up Jimmy Page's biography with him. Oh yeah, and he very briefly also mentions that they watched footage from the O2 show together which to me implies that it is likely mixed or has been worked with in some way that makes it watchable as there's no way they just watched the total raw footage from one camera. just saying.....

reading ross halfin's blog, he mentions last week hanging out with Jimmy Page and finishing up Jimmy Page's biography with him. Oh yeah, and he very briefly also mentions that they watched footage from the O2 show together which to me implies that it is likely mixed or has been worked with in some way that makes it watchable as there's no way they just watched the total raw footage from one camera. just saying.....

Would Jimmy even watch a bootleg copy?

One thing is for sure. If it was mentioned in Ross' diary it was planned to be announced. I look at Ross as Jimmy's way of giving us hints as to what's coming down the road.

Sort of like his full-time reporter.

Crossing fingers...

Would Jimmy even watch a bootleg copy?

It wouldn't be the first time Jimmy used bootleg footage.

I'm certain The Immigrant Song on the DVD was taken by someone in the crowd at the Sydney gig, anyway there's some other footage used during the menus too.

Just because it was good enough to play with that doesn't mean it was healed. Anyone who's broken a digit can tell you that it does not miraculously heal in the time frame between Jimmy's injury and the concert.

Sorry, just saw this. No, it wouldn't have been 100% healed, but if it was good enough to play with, then close enough. He'd had about six weeks after breaking it, it doesn't take that much longer for a broken bone to knit together completely.

And to the other point--Jimmy would certainly watch a bootleg copy. Not that that's necessarily what he WAS watching.

Archived