Which Zeppelin DVD is better?

LedZep1969

read topic  

108 members have voted

1. 1. stuff

• The Song Remains The Same
    • Led Zeppelin DVD

I couldn't really answer that question. DVD is a really wonderful compilation, and perhaps in a sense better than TSRTS. But the thing is, TSRTS came out when the band was still active, and it has meant so much to me over the years, ever since I saw it in the cinema back then. I still love it, wholly apart from the shortcomings. The scenes they made, for example, may be a bit Spinal Tap, but all these years later they also in a way add charm to it, and they underline that this is something that was done in the 1970's.

• 5 weeks later...

I like the TSRST video but I am not that crazy about it, despite I have always loved their '73 concert era.

The 2003 DVD is the closest to a perfect Zep compilation of the musical path of the band (even if it's missing some '77 bits).

I remember the sales guy at the store where I bought it, he just said to me :" IT'S UNBELIEVABLE AWESOME, girl! You're gonna love it! " and that's what happened.

The first disc with all the "vintage" stuff (Royal Albert Hall, the Denmark show, the Supershow, etc) is a gem! Priceless.

I've got them both, but DVD takes priority 75% of the time.

I hate the editing of TSRTS. It's a bummer the guys didn't wear the same clothes all 3 nights so when they switched between nights they wouldn't all the sudden have different clothes on... editing 3 concerts together just kills the overall flow and energy of the concerts there. I'm a strong believer that the whole is more important that it's parts. So what if this song was better on a different night... I like the group and don't care if they flub up once in a great while.

On the other hand, RAH is from the same night but songs are cut out and set-list rearranged... I like this form of editing a little better as the general energy level of the concert as a whole is not lost. This performance being my favorite part of DVD, it gets my vote.

DVD FTW!

It's very hard to decribe. SRTS isn't all over the place, but it's as important as the LZ DVD. I love the LZ DVD, but I love SRTS, too. But as was said earlier, SRTS was put together when they were together.

I hate the editing of TSRTS. It's a bummer the guys didn't wear the same clothes all 3 nights so when they switched between nights they wouldn't all the sudden have different clothes on... editing 3 concerts together just kills the overall flow and energy of the concerts there. I'm a strong believer that the whole is more important that it's parts. So what if this song was better on a different night... I like the group and don't care if they flub up once in a great while.

i totally agree with you...

• 3 weeks later...
The Led Zeppelin DVD by a long shot. There's just so much incredible footage that I personally had never seen before. I had seen the footage from TSTRS before the DVD came out. So it wasn't new to me.

I would tend to agree though the SRTS was the first glimpse I had of them live so there's always a special place it will hold for me.

• 1 year later...

If you would ask "Which do you prefer" it would have been a tough question (is Zep, so I love them, both). But since the question is "which is better", I'm affraid that it will be the DVD (DVD's material > the musical material from TSRTS - in quantity and quality)

Zep DVD easily. Although both are Zep DVD's so they are great automatically.

I agree with that statement totally but i lean towards TSRTS just because it goes back in time to the day for me, really good memories (for what i can remember). :P

\

I voted for "DVD", but I wouldn't want to be without "TSRTS". I think it was the first VHS I ever bought and it cost £20 back in 1985! I only had £8 on me and my parents paid the other £12. :) I still have it, but it's long been worn out as I must've played it hundreds of times in my youth and they don't last forever. I've since bought it on DVD twice.

The Led Zeppelin DVD is definitely the best. But I want it in Blu-Ray dammit!

Ive been saying this for a while now. i want TSRTS (even though its already out) on Blu-Ray and the Zeppelin DVD!! i have IMGL on BluRay, well worth the money. but my Led Zeppelin DVD box cover is getting worn. :'(

Archived