What Made You Happy today?

Hotplant

I got a call today from an old friend who just wanted to check in. We talked for about 3 hours on the phone and caught up on old times.  A lot of laughs and a few tears are sometimes good for the soul.

is there a better way to make me happy ? I don't think so, I'm about to see Robert Plant and the Sensational Space Shifters tonight in France ! Just to piss me off, I'm a bit sick as well, first time since 5 fuc**** month and it's gotta be today, I'm mean come on !!

There is a saying that friendship transcends borders! This saying came true for me this morning, when I received a wonderful, handwritten birthday letter from a sweet young lady on this forum. With emails being the norm, stating that a handwritten letter is something special, is truly an understatement!

Felt like logging in just to thank this special young lady. 

Thank you so very much, Kiwi! You sweetie pie! For not only remembering my birthday but for writing to me! :kiss:

The last time someone posted a handwritten letter to me, was my son from University. 

On 7/4/2016 at 10:19 AM, Ddladner said:

Tomatoes.  Hoping they will grow to full size, like these from my dad's garden.

image.jpeg

Simply splendid Dd. Those look mouthwatering. Hood luck with your baby 'maters!

1 hour ago, Emily008 said:

There is a saying that friendship transcends borders! This saying came true for me this morning, when I received a wonderful, handwritten birthday letter from a sweet young lady on this forum. With emails being the norm, stating that a handwritten letter is something special, is truly an understatement!

Thank you so very much, Kiwi! You sweetie pie! For not only remembering my birthday but for writing to me! :kiss:

The last time someone posted a handwritten letter to me, was my son from University. 

Well done, Kiwi! She is a sweetie, indeed, Emily. Happy birthday to you! The new forum format has made it difficult to check the calendar for birthdays, so I have been behind on the birthday thread. Hope your day is swellegant!

20 minutes ago, Strider said:

Happy birthday to you! The new forum format has made it difficult to check the calendar for birthdays, so I have been behind on the birthday thread. Hope your day is swellegant!

Many thanks, Strider. I celebrated my 46th in June, this year. :) 

1 hour ago, Emily008 said:

HALLELUJAH!! :yay: I'm so glad my letter reached you safe!!!!! :friends: The only regret that I have is that it is nearly a month late! I almost had a nervous breakdown while tracking it through a horribly fucked up tracking system! :wacko: 

This post on the happy thread, relates to my Sunday afternoon on the 10th of July, 2016. 

This Sunday started off as mundane and drab, with my morning involving the paying of bills, cleaning the house, emptying the rubbish bins, going grocery shopping in the rain (oh joy!!) and doing laundry (whoop-di-doo! :rolleyes:)

While cleaning up the house that morning, I came across my mom's Classical Music cassette tapes. These tapes are a little over 16 years old. My mom had received them as a promotional 'free gift', as a result of subscribing to Reader's Digest. I hadn't listened to them in quite sometime. For some reason, I was really drawn to them, that day. 

The weather was insane. Cold, dark, strong winds (that had the potential to drive you crazy and chill you down to the bone!), incredibly rainy, with Mr. Sun, playing a terribly annoying and constant game of hide and seek. By afternoon, I was tired, depressed and had a massive headache in the form of what appeared to be a sinus infection. 

To add insult to injury, if the day couldn't get any worse, I had to face the ordeal of sitting through an entire agonizing half an hour of dismal news, from around the globe (either about crooked politicians, deranged presidential nominees, terrorism, police brutality or racial tensions), while eating lunch.  The thing is, my dad loves watching the news at lunch and dinner and I didn't want to be rude and abruptly change the channel.

Anyway, I then firmly decided that the rest of that Sunday was going to be almost technology free. No T.V. No Internet. No Computer. I also decided to be a recluse for the rest of the day, in the hope that my headache will eventually ease. I preferred that my exposure to the cold, light and the din of the outside world was minimal. 

After lunch, I quietly retreated to the comfort of my room. At that point, my headache was a dull and annoying ache, which just seemed to go on and on and on. Subtle, yet brutal. I took an aspirin, shut the windows, drew the curtains and closed the door. Like one Mr. Robert Plant once said, 'Close the door, put out the light....'. By then, I had neatly stacked my mom's old cassette tapes on top of a little wooden table, beside my stereo (that I affectionately refer to as the 'Two-In-One' because of its dual capacity to play tapes and CD's). I plugged in my headphones into my beloved stereo and I pulled up a warm and comfy chair. I was ready to go. 

I had specifically chosen 6 cassette tapes to feast my ears on, that sad and rainy afternoon. Some of the classical composers who were to accompany me on my musical journey were: Ravel, Debussy, Faure, Wagner, Vivaldi, Von Webber, Offenbach, Holst, Bizet, Beethoven, Von Suppe, Rossini, to name a few!

The quote: 'Music washes away from the soul, the dust of everyday life' by Berthold Auerbach, has stuck with me, practically my whole life (given my experiences with bands like Led Zeppelin, Queen and Rush), but it was on that Sunday afternoon and evening, that I silently thought to myself, no truer words have been spoken!

Also, kudos to the highly intelligent soul, who was the first man/woman on earth, to discover that music has the power to heal!  I commend you, dear sir / madam, whoever you might be. 

From the bombastic, cheeky and sometimes foreboding notes of Bizet's Prelude From Carmen Suite Number 1 (I was taken back to my days as a 5 year old, watching Tom, the cat, nearly getting pulverized by an operatic conductor, thanks to all the trouble caused by Jerry, the mouse :lol:) to the deliciously fiendish and utterly barbaric notes of Holst's Mars: The Bringer of War and from the highly energetic and galloping notes of pieces such as Offenbach's Overture To Orpheus In The Underworld (also known as The Can-Can :P ) and the noble and bombastic air generated by Suppe's Overture To Light Cavalry  to the gentle subtleties of Ravel's Jeux D'Eau (which for a blissful 6 minutes transported me to this beautiful and unspoiled creek) and the euphoric, romantic and pensive notes of Wagner's Overture To Tannhauser, it was then that I thought to myself: 'Now I know exactly what it is like to actually feel'. 

For 6 blissful hours, I was in a musical stupor. I wasn't asleep. I was very much awake. I was just blissfully unaware of the world around me. I had my eyes closed, as my feet tapped and as my body swayed gently to the unbelievable music that was pouring out of my ear phones. I experienced a myriad of emotions. Euphoria. Joy. Shock. Awe. Amusement. I was also (at one point), stunned to find tears running down my cheeks, as I willingly lapped up some stunningly subtle and beautiful notes of Vivaldi's breath-taking composition The Four Seasons. It was as beautiful as witnessing a swan, gliding over a lake. 

I finally awoke from my stupor at the seemingly strange hour of 8 PM (it was strange for me, as I did not for one wild moment, realise that it was night time! :o). It took me at least a couple of seconds to actually become aware of my surroundings! As I gradually rose from my chair, my knees felt week, my feet felt like jelly but I just couldn't get myself to wipe that immensely satisfied smile off of my face. I felt rejuvenated! I felt more alive than I ever did! Ha! Had I been a circus clown, I probably would have done cartwheels on the floor, at that very moment! 

When I went into the kitchen that evening, to help my mom with a late dinner, my mom looked at me and asked : what are you so happy about?, to which I replied : Oh nothing much. Just happy about the power of a nifty little thing called music. :D 

IMG_1250 (2).JPG

^^^^Oh, how wonderful, Kiwi! :thumbsup: There is nothing better than some melodious classical music to soothe the soul, am I right? ;) 

It looks like your mum has got a wonderful collection there. Very eclectic. From my point of view, it is very heartening to see youngsters such as yourself, have such a profound appreciation for classical music. 

Now if you could be so kind as to convince my 20 year old son that classical music is indeed an interesting musical genre, I will be delighted! :) 

On 7/11/2016 at 8:01 PM, Strider said:

Simply splendid Dd. Those look mouthwatering. Hood luck with your baby 'maters!

Well done, Kiwi! She is a sweetie, indeed, Emily. Happy birthday to you! The new forum format has made it difficult to check the calendar for birthdays, so I have been behind on the birthday thread. Hope your day is swellegant!

Awww...shucks! Thank you kindly, dear sir! :blush: 

10 hours ago, Emily008 said:

^^^^Oh, how wonderful, Kiwi! :thumbsup: There is nothing better than some melodious classical music to soothe the soul, am I right? ;) 

It looks like your mum has got a wonderful collection there. Very eclectic. From my point of view, it is very heartening to see youngsters such as yourself, have such a profound appreciation for classical music. 

Now if you could be so kind as to convince my 20 year old son that classical music is indeed an interesting musical genre, I will be delighted! :) 

Oh, absolutely, Em! :D It is so good for the soul. 

If I could actually meet your son in person, I might give him a lecture on the scientific benefits of listening to classical music. :lol: 

Interestingly, I guess that I am in the minority as far as my generation's love for classical music is concerned. My love for that genre stemmed from the most unexpected of places. It wasn't my mom's old cassette tapes. No. You see Em, I grew up during Cartoon Network's heydays (the 90's), when quality programming actually meant something. Those were the days, with cartoon gems from Warner Brothers, MGM, Hanna-Barbera, etc. being on regular rotation. I not only used to tune in to the Looney Tunes show and the Tom and Jerry show for the gags, animation and voices, but also for the musical scores! :D Unbeknownst to me, I was already well aware of the works of Carl Stalling and Scott Bradley, by the time I was 8 years old! B) I did not know the names of these guys, but I could definitely identify their musical scores! As I grew older, I discovered that these musical scores (that I loved immensely), were actually excerpts from legendary classical music compositions such as Overture To Orpheus In The Underworld, for instance. Needless to say, my exposure to Cartoon Network, was life changing! :) 

Here is an example. This was the very Tom and Jerry cartoon that I was referring to, in my original post. Thanks to this little gem of a cartoon, I actually got to listen to the musical score of Prelude From Carmen Suite Number 1

I first saw this on T.V when I was around 7 years old, I think. Ah, good times!!B) 

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87
To Insert A Better Quality Video

Oh you've done it again, Kiwi! Oh yes you have, you scamp!

I was tidying up this morning and without thinking twice, I closely examined that gargantuan postal envelope that contained my birthday letter from you, before binning it (just to be utterly sure that I had carefully and safely retrieved all of its contents) and sure enough, whilst upturning the envelope, something actually fell to the floor.

Lo and behold, a little key chain of a mischievous little Kiwi bird and a lamb! :wub: I really love it, kiddo! Thank you!! :friends: Why on earth did you not tell me about this earlier?! You wanted it to be a secret, eh? I am most certainly going to be conducting an inquiry via email! ;) 

Here is a photographic record for your reference! :D 

Capture.JPG

Edited by Emily008

12 hours ago, Emily008 said:

I was tidying up this morning and without thinking twice, I closely examined that gargantuan postal envelope that contained my birthday letter from you, before binning it (just to be utterly sure that I had carefully and safely retrieved all of its contents) and sure enough, whilst upturning the envelope, something actually fell to the floor.

Lo and behold, a little key chain of a mischievous little Kiwi bird and a lamb! :wub: I really love it, kiddo! Thank you!! :friends: Why on earth did you not tell me about this earlier?! You wanted it to be a secret, eh? I am most certainly going to be conducting an inquiry via email! ;) 

Capture.JPG

Oooh! So, you did find it, then? :P I like to surprise my good friends from time to time! B) 

On 7/16/2016 at 1:04 PM, Emily008 said:

Capture.JPG

Just what in Yosemite Sam is that Kiwi doing to that poor lamb? :blink::D

1 hour ago, Charles J. White said:

Thinking the plane I was on this evening might actually fall/crash into the Bay of Maine/Bay of Fundy only to land smoothly in one peace which made me really happy but it was really scary for about 10 minutes

You travel frequently Chas. Is this the closest you have come to a bad incident on a flight? Ever think about cutting back on your travels?

8 hours ago, Strider said:

You travel frequently Chas. Is this the closest you have come to a bad incident on a flight? Ever think about cutting back on your travels?

I have thought about it a lot, and I mix it up about 70 percent driving and 30% flying. There was another time back around Feb 2006 I was landing in Toronto from Calgary on the red eye perhaps 10 feet from touching down on the runway when suddenly the plane’s engines began to scream, the plane started a steep climb, and a sudden almost violent like turn/pitch to one side. After the plane was up around 5,000 ft the pilot comes on over the speaker thing and says, and I quote: “ladies and gentlemen sorry about that we were just touching down when another aircraft was taking off towards us on the same runway, we are just going to circle the airport for a few minutes from here until we get clearance again for landing”. The whole thing although short in time was incredibly stressful.

9 hours ago, Strider said:

Hahaha! Yes, that struck me too, Strider! ;) If you need answers, perhaps ask Kiwi? I mean, she's the one who gifted it to me. 

• 2 weeks later...