Song Remains the Same scarce on DVD?

I've got the original DVD issue of The Song Remains the Same, but the other day I saw a friend's copy of the new version and decided it might be worth buying it again just to hear some reverb on Robert's voice. I grew up with the VHS editions where Robert also sounded like he was signing into a cardboard box, and the sound on the new version is so much smoother I was tempted.

However, according to BestBuy.com there are no copies of Song at any store in the metro Atlanta area. Then just for the heck of it I checked Chattanooga, Memphis and Nashville -- no TSRTS there, either!

We know the band never liked this movie anyhow, and even the reissue had a lot of release issues and got hammered pretty hard online by the fans. Do you think Jimmy wants to let TSRTS fall by the wayside and leave the `03 DVD to be the official document of the band?

I've got the original DVD issue of The Song Remains the Same, but the other day I saw a friend's copy of the new version and decided it might be worth buying it again just to hear some reverb on Robert's voice. I grew up with the VHS editions where Robert also sounded like he was signing into a cardboard box, and the sound on the new version is so much smoother I was tempted.

However, according to BestBuy.com there are no copies of Song at any store in the metro Atlanta area. Then just for the heck of it I checked Chattanooga, Memphis and Nashville -- no TSRTS there, either!

We know the band never liked this movie anyhow, and even the reissue had a lot of release issues and got hammered pretty hard online by the fans. Do you think Jimmy wants to let TSRTS fall by the wayside and leave the `03 DVD to be the official document of the band?

What I am about to say is obviously my own opinion. I grew up with the VHS version of TSRTS. I bought the first dvd of TSRTS when it came out way back then. I also bought the new and enhanced version of TSRTS. I still have all three.

To me, it does not matter which "version" I listen to. Obviuosly, I prefer the dvd's because they are more up-to-date. However, if you are a fan of LZ it should not really matter which format that you have or prefer. Just having "The Song Remains the Same" and being able to enjoy it is good enough for me.

The Best Buy in Canton near me has a copy. I have also ordered from them on line several times and the service is excellent. I have the CD and I have the Collectors Edition...and I have it recorded on my DVR's (from Palladia)

Are you going to the Sept 11th showing of "It Might Get Loud" ?

i hope it's becoming scarce, it's a dreadful film. catches the band when they were tired, and not on form. the self indulgent dream parts are chronically bad at best...i've only managed to watch this film once; this film done nothing to enhance their rep, the sooner it's made obsolete so that new fans aren't compelled to watch it, the better, as ir does nothing for the leagcy of the band,

Then just for the heck of it I checked Chattanooga, Memphis and Nashville -- no TSRTS there, either!

The last time Robert was in Tennessee to work on his follow-up album with Alison he bought them all up and put them in the fireplace. Regardless, there are several copies on ebay.

After all the work Jimmy apparently did on this, it seems unlikely he'd want it to disappear--even if it was his sole decision to make, which it isn't.

Just did a quick check, and Amazon's got plenty.

If I remember correctly, Kevin Shirley said Robert often popped in during the TSRTS remaster.

And I got my copy from Amazon.

Oh and I love it. B)

If I remember correctly, Kevin Shirley said Robert often popped in during the TSRTS remaster.

And I got my copy from Amazon.

Oh and I love it. B)

Me too, and I accidentally ordered the super-deluxe version which came with an enormous T-shirt, and I love that, too!

i hope it's becoming scarce, it's a dreadful film. catches the band when they were tired, and not on form. the self indulgent dream parts are chronically bad at best...i've only managed to watch this film once; this film done nothing to enhance their rep, the sooner it's made obsolete so that new fans aren't compelled to watch it, the better, as ir does nothing for the leagcy of the band,

I don't think it's dreadful at all. As Robert has stated, it captures a moment in time for the band - it's part of their history and for some of us who weren't old enough to see the band, it was the first glimpse of what they were like live. Don't think it takes anything away from their legacy :)

Really? So Dazed, SIBLY, NO Q, TSRTS,the WLL medley, and the awesome STH solo suck? Never got the whole dogging of this movie. The band might not like it but I think it's awesome (and to be honest, they never liked anything anyway). I never grow tired of watching it and it's really the reason I got into Zep so much. It might have been a "bad night(s)" for them but they rock harder than anyone else I've ever seen. TSRTS rocks in this werewolf's opinion.

Really? So Dazed, SIBLY, NO Q, TSRTS,the WLL medley, and the awesome STH solo suck? Never got the whole dogging of this movie. The band might not like it but I think it's awesome (and to be honest, they never liked anything anyway). I never grow tired of watching it and it's really the reason I got into Zep so much. It might have been a "bad night(s)" for them but they rock harder than anyone else I've ever seen. TSRTS rocks in this werewolf's opinion.

I don't get it, either.

Unless I don't remember correctly, I don't seem to recall a lot of criticism about the TSRTS film reissue, although there were some negative comments about the TSRTS soundtrack reissue (like part of the No Quarter solo cut out).

I happen to love TSRTS myself, and even though I've seen it loads of times I never get tired of it. For me, TSRTS brought the pics & articles I had of them in Creem, Circus & Hit Parader to life.

You have to admit, though, the fantasy sequences are pretty awful!

Having said that, at the time it was amazing to see them offstage and hear them speak, see their families, etc. AND, as somone said, it's where they were at the time.

Having said that, at the time it was amazing to see them offstage and hear them speak, see their families, etc. AND, as somone said, it's where they were at the time.

Admit, what?

"the fantasy sequences are pretty awful", it's your own opinion, other people may not think so.

I don't buy into the whole "it was an off night" crap at all! I have many shows from that tour and imo it was a fantastic set of shows! "Robert's voice was off". Compared to what? What from 73 specifically? I think he sounded fantastic! Jimmy also was superb!

As for the remix, I grew up on the original soundtrack album, and the new mix messes with my memories. I think it's an improvement on the film, and glosses over some really bad edits, but I'll take the original vinyl cut any day.

You're talking complete bollox..........Roll a spliff, ... and watch it again.

You're talking complete bollox..........Roll a spliff, ... and watch it again.

I absolutely agree! It is what it is, as it was. I personally find the fantasy sequences engaging and at times breathtaking. Indulgent? Perhaps. But that's part of it innit?

I like the fantasy sequences. As Ev said, I don't get either how they were "off" at the time. They sounded pretty great to me. When people say that, it's like they expect the band to be perfect. Tight but Loose was their motto. That's part of what made them unique. It was about the moment, not trying to be note for note perfect.

I like the fantasy sequences. As Ev said, I don't get either how they were "off" at the time. They sounded pretty great to me. When people say that, it's like they expect the band to be perfect. Tight but Loose was their motto. That's part of what made them unique. It was about the moment, not trying to be note for note perfect.

Unless it was Rain Song or Stairway. They were note for bloody note perfect across the board on those!! The Song Remains the Same too! Brilliant and shining!!! And No Quarter? Don't get me started!

I've got a stack of boots 3 foot high, and I've listened to them all. Some more fierce. Some more reflective. Some more adventurous. Some not so good. New York 1973 is no sub-par set of dates!!! Bullshit! :beer:

Unless it was Rain Song or Stairway. They were note for bloody note perfect across the board on those!! The Song Remains the Same too! Brilliant and shining!!! And No Quarter? Don't get me started!

I've got a stack of boots 3 foot high, and I've listened to them all. Some more fierce. Some more reflective. Some more adventurous. Some not so good. New York 1973 is no sub-par set of dates!!! Bullshit! :beer:

Absolutely! I have no complaints about the show musically or otherwise. That version of No Quarter is one of my favorite live songs I've ever heard. But what you said about the boots you have is exactly the point - the mood and such varied but that's what made them so amazing.

uuummmm.....your out of your freakin' mind! This film is 'the' reason I started playing guitar.

After seeing the otherworldly Jimmy Page playing the intro to No Quarter I started working my ass off

on music the next day, and haven't stopped since. I also know 'many' others who were inspired by this film to learn how to play drums, guitar, bass, sing and form bands of their own.

"tired, and not on form"? You're dead wrong there, buddy. They were kicking ass!!!

No, I don't like the fantasy sequences or the unnecessary re-shoot inserts, but the actual onstage footage is by far the best ever captured on film of this band. It makes the video's of Earls Court & Knebworth look like a joke in comparison.

"the sooner it's made obsolete so that new fans aren't compelled to watch it, the better, as ir does nothing for the leagcy of the band"

This is perhaps the most moronic statement I've read on this forum yet.

Hmmmm, maybe they wanted to put out the best (close to the album's but not carbon copy) as they could for marketing reason's. While a large part of the Led Zeppelin fan base is of the type that would like to hear some thing a bit different (I can be like this too at time's) maybe the aim was to make every one happy. Even the one's who like to hear it as close to what they hear on the record as the band can get in a live show.

My self, I can take it ether way, but I would likely get a bigger kick out of hearing some improvising at a live show but not so far as I don't recognize the song at all.

Admit, what?

"the fantasy sequences are pretty awful", it's your own opinion, other people may not think so.

Hey-Up,

The fantasy sequences are Not pretty awful, if you remember when they were filmed... Thats what was happening in the early 70's, so You might not like them, but it dosn't mean that everybody else thinks that...I Like them, As do others that were born before 1985!!!

I got a 2nd part of TSRTS on DVD, that includes....

Tampa News Report

Over the Hills & Far Away

"Plant & Grant" Boating down the Thames, talking about TSRTS

Celebration Day (cutting copy)

The Robbery

Misty Mountain Hop

Original Film Trailer

The Ocean

Radio Profile Spotlight, by Cameron Crowe- 1976

Credits.

This was a nice little find, to see "The Ocean" played like that, before THE DVD came out in 03/04. I also found a DVD called "Fans Review" about TSRTS, I'll call that one on here sometime.

All the Best,

Hang-man :ph34r:

Archived