Zep Riffs vs Sabbath Riffs

McSeven

A lot of reviewers use these two to describe new bands sounds. So in your mind. What is the difference between Zep and Sabbath Riffs.

For me. Zep riffs are Dynamic and Twisty. Sabbath have a very heavy bass to their sound and sound sluggish.

Mc7

First of all, I love both of the bands.

Sabbath doesn't sound sluggish to me, I actually a tiiiny little bit prefer them over Zeppelin now. However, Zep's riffs attract me more. I don't know how to explain. I can get bored over Sabbath's songs sometimes.

Zep's riffs... Heavy. Intense. Magical. Complicated. Groovy. Unique. Fresh.

...it's like gliding, making out, daydreaming, floating, dancing, losing control over yourself...

Ok, I lost it. :bagoverhead:

Edit: I forgot about Black Sabbath :o

I couldn't describe a Sabbath riff if you paid me - I think I've heard about 15 seconds of one song, and that was because it was featured in music documentary.

Seeing as they were two different bands in two different genres, I would imagine their guitar sounds were completely different as well.

Seeing as they were two different bands in two different genres, I would imagine their guitar sounds were completely different as well.

They do sound quite different. Funny I don't think of Sabbath in terms of"riffs" really even though they did I suppose technically. When I listen to their music, it's an overall sound to my ears, not so much a "okay here's the guitar solo" if any of this makes sense :blink:

I liked Sabbaths riff with Dio but with Ozzy I think its too dense..Zep riffs all the way :)..Iommi is a bit of a shit guitarist sometimes in my opinion...sorry, but on the heaven and hell album he was great :) !!!

Whether it's riffs or whatever else, the key to what makes Zeppelin stand out is musical diversity. Page always changed his sound & approach if even by just a little where Iommi pretty much always sounds the same. "Into The Void" is not that different from something a few albums later like "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" where "Whole Lotta Love" has nothing in common with "Dancing Days".

About all this "riffing" between Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath. Let me say that I believe that Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath created some of the most "powerful" and most "influential" rock and roll music of all-time. I really believe that that is not in question.

I will say that I am more biased toward Led Zeppelin simply because I am more of a Jimmy Page fan. I love Tony Iommi, but I think that Jimmy Page is a better guitar player and overall "showman" than Tony Iommi. Of course this is just my opinion.

I meant the song, not the album. Ok Iommi had 2 speeds, "Spiral Architect" & "Laguna Sunrise" type songs or "Hand Of Doom" & "Supernaut" type songs. That is not a big stretch unless you're comparing it to someone completely one dimensional like the Ramones. Page was far more diverse than Iommi, even on Sabbath's later albums with Ozzy where keyboards played a larger role.

I meant the song, not the album. Ok Iommi had 2 speeds, "Spiral Architect" & "Laguna Sunrise" type songs or "Hand Of Doom" & "Supernaut" type songs. That is not a big stretch unless you're comparing it to someone completely one dimensional like the Ramones. Page was far more diverse than Iommi, even on Sabbath's later albums with Ozzy where keyboards played a larger role.

Well, I obviously hear a lot more diversity in Sabbath's music than you do, especially after their first three albums.

There's a lot of experimentation on albums like Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Never Say Die.

Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQkoFrIMDhs

Well, I obviously hear a lot more diversity in Sabbath's music than you do, especially after their first three albums.

There's a lot of experimentation on albums like Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Never Say Die.

Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQkoFrIMDhs

Agreed, Sabbath definitely stretched their musical wings on SBS ( a personal favorite), and while Iommi may not be as diverse as Page, he's managed to bring himself and Black Sabbath in some form to fans right up until 2006...so I guess I'll award him points for longevity.

Something I wish Jimmy would take a Page from. ;)

I guess Zep riffs are a melting pot of many diverse influences where sabbath riffs tend to reflect the concept the band was about

I'd be interested to see what the responses would be to this identical thread on a sabbath forum

Of course,we have the intersection of the 2 bands from the long-rumored jam sessions in 1970 titled "Black Zeppelin".

Zeppelin's riffs to me are groovy, diverse, sexy, funky, full of light and shade, etc...

Sabbath's riffs seem to plod along and are a bit to sluggish in my opinion. I was a big Sabbath fan (not so much anymore). I personally wasn't that interested in their riffs but enjoyed Bill Ward's drumming as he is a great drummer.

I liked Sabbaths riff with Dio but with Ozzy I think its too dense..Zep riffs all the way :)..Iommi is a bit of a shit guitarist sometimes in my opinion...sorry, but on the heaven and hell album he was great :) !!!

lets see how good Page is with two of his fretting hand fingers cut off at the tips. hence Tonys use of down tuning and power chords. i hate ignorant people who talk shit about one of the best bands ever.

Archived