1980 US tour setlist?

PhxHorn

Did they ever have a tentative setlist put together for the 1980 US tour? I've heard they'd considered Carouselambra. I also note that the 1980 European tour was a drastic change from previous tours, with some major tunes having been cut and more concentration on newer ones.

Did they ever have a tentative setlist put together for the 1980 US tour? I've heard they'd considered Carouselambra. I also note that the 1980 European tour was a drastic change from previous tours, with some major tunes having been cut and more concentration on newer ones.

it would probably be the same as the Europe tour.

Considering JPJ was spending equal, if not more time on keys than bass by 1980, In The Light would have been a fine addition along with Carouselambra. I wouldn't expect a drum solo or even Page's wacky guitar effects solo ala 77, but I'd think they would include alot from PG/Presence/ITTOD and whatever Page/Bonzo might have been cooking up for that fabled heavy album in the works.

To be more specific, I think I've heard that there are some tapes from the fall rehearsals, but I haven't heard them. Is there any definite evidence that tells us what tunes they were getting ready?

The fall '80 rehearsals lasted one afternoon - Sept 24th - ending around 8pm, and I've never seen or heard anything that even remotely suggests they were recorded. You could be thinking of the initial ITTOD album rehearsals at Clearwell Castle in May 1978, during which Carouselambra was rehearsed extensively.

According to 'The Concert File', On Sept 18th Page visited Swan Song offices to to sanction a new lighting stage rig, during the same paragraph it says "a tentative setlist was discussed with Carouselambra heading the new additions". Wether or nor this setlist was dicussed during this date i don't know, just qouteing the book..

I read somewhere that they were going to cut down on the long solos.

Most likely the same as the European set list.

Historically they would do a world tour and the set would contain the same songs with a different or extra song played during the encore when the occasion arose.

During the '72 tour they opened with Immigrant Song, played Celebration Day only a couple of times (at least on the Oz / NZ leg) and mixed up the WLL medley with a portion of The Rover only being played in Sydney.

They usually opened with:

'68 - '69: The Train Kept A Rolling;

'70: We're Gonna Groove;

'71 - '72: Immigrant Song;

'73 - '75: Rock 'N' Roll;

'77 - '79: Knebworth '79 TSRTS;

'80: The Train Kept A Rolling.

Considering JPJ was spending equal, if not more time on keys than bass by 1980, In The Light would have been a fine addition along with Carouselambra. I wouldn't expect a drum solo or even Page's wacky guitar effects solo ala 77, but I'd think they would include alot from PG/Presence/ITTOD and whatever Page/Bonzo might have been cooking up for that fabled heavy album in the works.

I think you may have gotten a page bow solo ala Knedworth just not a long FX solo.

Anyone think Wearing and Tearing would've come out, along with Carouselambra? Those would've sounded pretty good live. I can only imagine what bootlegs could've surfaced.

I could have sworn that someone at Knebworth '90 mentioned that W&T was considered for the '80 US tour (maybe Plant said it). I could be wrong though. That song would have been great live (esp. Bonzo's drums).

Most likely the same as the European set list.

Historically they would do a world tour and the set would contain the same songs with a different or extra song played during the encore when the occasion arose.

Oh god...IMO the Europe '80 setlist needed some serious work! The "Rain Song"/"Hot Dog"/"All My Love" trifecta kills whatever momentum the shows had gathered up to that point. And for chrissakes, Jimmy, lose "White Summer"! It was tedious enough in '77; in '80 it seemed ten times worse, especially since Page could barely play the fuckin' piece any more!

Here's my idea of a potential "The Eighties, Part One" setlist:

Train Kept A Rollin'>Nobody's Fault But Mine/Black Dog/Hot Dog/Carouselambra/Trampled Under Foot/Since I've Been Loving You/Achilles Last Stand/All My Love/Wearing And Tearing/Kashmir/Bow Guitar Solo>In The Evening/Stairway To Heaven/Rock And Roll/Whole Lotta Love/Communication Breakdown OR Heartbreaker

...that is, IF they indeed planned to add "Carouselambra" and "Wearing And Tearing" to the set. Still, we got, what? 17 songs including encores, no drum solos, no epic jam songs...it still fits Jimmy's "Cut the waffle" philosophy...

There is a torrent at Dime right now that supposedly has the 1980 rehearsal.

Torrent #292541

Bootleg Title: Strange Tales From The Road

Bootleg Label: Diagrams

01 - White Summer/Black Mountain Side

02 - Kashmir

03 - Achilles Last Stand

04 - Stairway To Heaven

Torrent #292541

02 - Kashmir

03 - Achilles Last Stand

04 - Stairway To Heaven

Sounds more like a '77 rehearsal to me... It's consistent with the set list (if you take out Bonzo's + Jimmy's solos.)

Train Kept A Rollin'>Nobody's Fault But Mine/Black Dog/Hot Dog/Carouselambra/Trampled Under Foot/Since I've Been Loving You/Achilles Last Stand/All My Love/Wearing And Tearing/Kashmir/Bow Guitar Solo>In The Evening/Stairway To Heaven/Rock And Roll/Whole Lotta Love/Communication Breakdown OR Heartbreaker

Nice song choices, I'd put Wearing and Tearing as an opener and get rid of Hot Dog (haha darn Hot Dog). Although Jimmy's WS/BMS combo was a little rough during this time, he probably liked the idea of segueing into Kashmir with it. What could've he replaced it with? Maybe a Carouselambra with a JPJ segue into Kashmir? (who knows?)

Would it have been possible to get rid of Stairway? That certainly would've been a change of pace to say the least.

Torrent #292541

02 - Kashmir

03 - Achilles Last Stand

04 - Stairway To Heaven

I have that. It's the May, 1980 rehearsals if I'm not mistaken.

I read somewhere that they were going to cut down on the long solos.

That's fine.... Jimmy can just jam out within the confines of their songs..... that would be just fine.....

Ala OTHAFA, IS, and TU.....

Would it have been possible to get rid of Stairway? That certainly would've been a change of pace to say the least.

At the time, it was legendary and the crowds might have revolted, but in retrospect, I think it would have been a very smart move to cut it at some point. I think they'd have had to make an announcement ahead of time so as to head off booing and what not. As a closing tune, it's not that great because it's more dramatic that exciting. It was definitely the right decision to move it earlier at O2.

This is what I got for the 07-07-1980 show

Train Kept a rollin

Nobodys fault but mine

Black Dog

In the evening

Rain song

Hot Dog

All of my love

Trampled under foot

Since Ive been loving you

White summer/ black mountain side

Kashmir

Stairway to Heaven

Rock n Roll

Whole lotta love

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

Oh god...IMO the Europe '80 setlist needed some serious work! The "Rain Song"/"Hot Dog"/"All My Love" trifecta kills whatever momentum the shows had gathered up to that point. And for chrissakes, Jimmy, lose "White Summer"! It was tedious enough in '77; in '80 it seemed ten times worse, especially since Page could barely play the fuckin' piece any more!

...that is, IF they indeed planned to add "Carouselambra" and "Wearing And Tearing" to the set. Still, we got, what? 17 songs including encores, no drum solos, no epic jam songs...it still fits Jimmy's "Cut the waffle" philosophy...

i like it!cool.gif

The Wanton Song / The Rover / Nobody's Fault But Mine / Tea For One / In My Time Of Dying / No Quarter / In The Light / For Your Life / I'm Gonna Crawl / Kashmir

Encores : In The Evening / Wearing And Tearing / Ten Years Gone

• 2 weeks later...

Train kept a rollin/ bring it on home/ dazed & confused (album version)/ Your time is gonna come/ Tangerine/ Down by the seaside/ Bron y aur stomp/ Going to California/ In the evening/ No quarter/ Black dog/ Celebration day/ Nobody''s fault but mine/ Song remains the same/ In my time of dying/ Stairway to heaven/ All of my love.

Encores: How many more time medley w/Lemon song/ Whole lotta love medley from 72./ Rock and Roll

Train Kept a Rollin/Nobody's Fault/Black Dog/Carouselambra/Custard Pie/No Quarter/Since I been Lovin/Communication Breakdown/The Rain Song/Kashmir/Achilles/In the evening/Whole Lotta Love/Wearing and Tearin/Heartbreaker/Rock and Roll...that would be a pretty well rounded setlist!

• 2 weeks later...

Train kept a rollin/ bring it on home/ dazed & confused (album version)/ Your time is gonna come/ Tangerine/ Down by the seaside/ Bron y aur stomp/ Going to California/ In the evening/ No quarter/ Black dog/ Celebration day/ Nobody''s fault but mine/ Song remains the same/ In my time of dying/ Stairway to heaven/ All of my love.

Encores: How many more time medley w/Lemon song/ Whole lotta love medley from 72./ Rock and Roll/ Thank You.

Archived