Robert Plant Sang at my Engagement Party!

Dandu

My girlfriend and I flew from Toronto to Miami for a bit of relaxation and to catch the last stop on the Band of Joy's North American tour, which wrapped up a few hours ago. Little did she know that during the concert I would propose to her in our front row centre seats.

We usually strive to get tickets that are very close to the stage when we see Robert play, but this time we had the best seats we have ever had. They were in the very front row directly in front of Robert's microphone. Literally the best seats in the house. The night started out the same as any other time we have seen Robert. He came out ever so coolly and started to do his thing. My girlfriend was completely unsuspecting of what was about to happen and in fact spent much of the time trying to get Robert's attention, dancing and smiling at him. He had once traded looks and dance moves with her from the stage when we saw him play in Canada, and I think she wanted to make sure that 5 years later, she could still get his attention. He did not disappoint! He exchanged glances and looks with her and at one point said "habibi" (an Arabic term or endearment) and pointed at her. All the while I was getting a little hot under the collar which I think he actually knew and relished!

But I would have the last laugh, so to speak.

I had seen the set lists for the concert on-line, and knew that he had played Thank-you as an encore at every show. So I patiently waited until the encore and during the first few bars of the song I turned to my girlfriend and said

"The first time we were ever in the same room together was at a Page/Plant show in 1995, years before we even met. If I knew then, what I know now, I would have found you and asked you to marry me, but I didn't, so tonight, at this concert, I want to make that up to you".

Then I pulled out a ring box from my pocket and asked her to marry me. People around us started to notice and soon the band saw what was going on.

The whole mood in our little area and onstage, which had already been so high, was really elevated to another level. It was like the band and the crowd around us was feeding off our energy and we were feeding of theirs and it just grew and grew. The words to the song took on a new and more immediate meaning. It was like nothing I had ever felt at at a concert before. Strangers were congratulating us and patting me on the back and Robert essentially proceeded to serenade us for the remainder of the song. During one break in the song Robert asked if she said yes and my now Fiancee yelled "of course", during another break he said "congratulations" all the while exchanging glances and gestures which made one of the most special moments in our lives even more special. Someone told me that he even changed some of the lyrics, but to be honest, I was in such a state of euphoria that I didn't notice. I will have to check on YouTube. The kindness and congratulatory gestures from the band continued through Rock and Roll and the closing song, We Bid You Goodnight. As the band took their bows, Patty Griffin looked down at me and put up her thumb and said "good job!".

It was a truly magical night and one which we will never forget.

If anybody out there knows any of the band members, please share the background story with them and tell them thank you so much for their kindness and well wishes. It was truly a once in a lifetime moment! Although an engagement is in many ways a private thing, it was somehow very special to share it with complete strangers in the crowd beside us and with one of my and my Fiancee's music idols. His kindness and well wishes reaffirmed for us why we have been fans for so many years.

My girlfriend and I flew from Toronto to Miami for a bit of relaxation and to catch the last stop on the Band of Joy's North American tour, which wrapped up a few hours ago. Little did she know that during the concert I would propose to her in our front row centre seats.

We usually strive to get tickets that are very close to the stage when we see Robert play, but this time we had the best seats we have ever had. They were in the very front row directly in front of Robert's microphone. Literally the best seats in the house. The night started out the same as any other time we have seen Robert. He came out ever so coolly and started to do his thing. My girlfriend was completely unsuspecting of what was about to happen and in fact spent much of the time trying to get Robert's attention, dancing and smiling at him. He had once traded looks and dance moves with her from the stage when we saw him play in Canada, and I think she wanted to make sure that 5 years later, she could still get his attention. He did not disappoint! He exchanged glances and looks with her and at one point said "habibi" (an Arabic term or endearment) and pointed at her. All the while I was getting a little hot under the collar which I think he actually knew and relished!

But I would have the last laugh, so to speak.

I had seen the set lists for the concert on-line, and knew that he had played Thank-you as an encore at every show. So I patiently waited until the encore and during the first few bars of the song I turned to my girlfriend and said

"The first time we were ever in the same room together was at a Page/Plant show in 1995, years before we even met. If I knew then, what I know now, I would have found you and asked you to marry me, but I didn't, so tonight, at this concert, I want to make that up to you".

Then I pulled out a ring box from my pocket and asked her to marry me. People around us started to notice and soon the band saw what was going on.

The whole mood in our little area and onstage, which had already been so high, was really elevated to another level. It was like the band and the crowd around us was feeding off our energy and we were feeding of theirs and it just grew and grew. The words to the song took on a new and more immediate meaning. It was like nothing I had ever felt at at a concert before. Strangers were congratulating us and patting me on the back and Robert essentially proceeded to serenade us for the remainder of the song. During one break in the song Robert asked if she said yes and my now Fiancee yelled "of course", during another break he said "congratulations" all the while exchanging glances and gestures which made one of the most special moments in our lives even more special. Someone told me that he even changed some of the lyrics, but to be honest, I was in such a state of euphoria that I didn't notice. I will have to check on YouTube. The kindness and congratulatory gestures from the band continued through Rock and Roll and the closing song, We Bid You Goodnight. As the band took their bows, Patty Griffin looked down at me and put up her thumb and said "good job!".

It was a truly magical night and one which we will never forget.

If anybody out there knows any of the band members, please share the background story with them and tell them thank you so much for their kindness and well wishes. It was truly a once in a lifetime moment! Although an engagement is in many ways a private thing, it was somehow very special to share it with complete strangers in the crowd beside us and with one of my and my Fiancee's music idols. His kindness and well wishes reaffirmed for us why we have been fans for so many years.

thats as good as it gets man, congratulations!!!!!

Hi Dandu!

What a beautiful thing to do for your lady, and thank you for sharing it with us, I'm in tears here! That's just DAN-dy! And Thank You is my #1 Favorite Song, and ROBERT singing it to her!! :o I DREAM that something like this will happen to me someday!

You two must be on Cloud Eleven right now, ENJOY THE HIGH, and remember this 'Special Time' later on, whenever you get mad with each other about something small and stupid and feel like ripping each other's faces off :D

Just remember, 'Amor vincit omnia'.

Good luck

Toni

Here you go...

Dan! I know I have already congratulated you earlier, but now listening to this, I just got chills at how wonderful this truly must have been. Robert Anthony is still making magic for his fans and touching us. Many happy tears falling for you and your lady. :toast:

Congratulations to you both.

I can say the same thing as you. Robert Plant played at my engagement party too - Knebworth, June 30th 1990 (and Jimmy Page, Pink Floyd, Paul McCartney, etc). That was a very special day for us, so I can guess how fantastic it was for you.

Once again, congratulations.

Here you go...

Thanks so much for posting this! In the last verse he did change the words. He said "If the sun refused to shine he would still be marrying you, when mountains crumble to the sea, there would still be you and he". Then he yelled "Habibi" again. He also said, "are you gonna marry him" in the middle of the song. That must be when Rebecca yelled back "of course". What a guy! Really, really special.

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes. Watching the video and reading the comments made us well up with joy all over again. I will try to post some pictures when we return to Canada!

Thanks again to everyone!!!

Rebecca and Dan.

Congrats!!, what a awesome night to remember!!

Now i can't make out who's in your avatar, JPJ?

That is me and jpj at backstage after the O2 concert. I thought that was the best day of my life. It is now second!

That is me and jpj at backstage after the O2 concert. I thought that was the best day of my life. It is now second!

... congrats to The Habib and His Mashooka...lovely tale of romance...wish you much togetherness in every step of the way as you journey through caravan of life...Thank you for sharing your story...

...You will have your Third moment soon when "The Book" arrives......(I have this moment to my credit at least...oh, and 23 years of married life!!)

I Hope JPJ and Robert Plant soon come a little closer to where I am (together would be dream come true, all too much)...I hope to see them at least once in my lifetime......

...Best to you and your love one

Archived