JIMMY PAGE ON THIS DAY (Archive)

jimmy oughta take peter out behind the woodshed for this fuckup! the whole musical world is now running with the story that this is a Jimmy Page creation.

Agreed.

Jimmy's used other mashups before on his site, but always with some text along the lines of "I found this on youtube". In fact the earlier OTD posts were usually very assiduous about attributing things. I don't know if PM is easily embarrassed, but if he goes online he ought to be mortified.

Agreed.

Jimmy's used other mashups before on his site, but always with some text along the lines of "I found this on youtube". In fact the earlier OTD posts were usually very assiduous about attributing things. I don't know if PM is easily embarrassed, but if he goes online he ought to be mortified.

I think in the case of the latest mashup, sometimes there are no words.

Sometimes these things work, but to me the latest one did not.

Well, to be fair ( IMO) it's pretty good, in itself.

And no doubt that sparse image, with no text, was judged good as well.

Who needs boring old text to clutter the picture?

The problem is that it's just a big editorial #FAIL not to attribute the source, leaving a lot of the internet/music community believing that Jimmy was the author of this (and that this amounts to the first "new music" he's put out since Embryo etc)

Some of us know better. If he'd really done that remix we might find it in the merchandise section of the website, on heavy duty vinyl, numbered copies and personally signed !

6saot0.jpg

I have a question about this OTD.

And if this has been addressed already, please forgive a very tired lady. :)

Why does it state "I played .... WITH OUTRIDER"???

Wasn't Outrider the album and tour's name, not the band's name?

And if I am not mistaken, a similar statement was made another time recently.

Anyone?

Why does it state "I played .... WITH OUTRIDER"???

Wasn't Outrider the album and tour's name, not the band's name?

It looks as though 'Outrider' became the name for the entire project. Perhaps Jimmy isn't comfortable with saying "I played .... with my band/with the Jimmy Page band", maybe on then offchance he gets accused of egotism?

A repeat "On This Day" that I will never get tired of....

On Jimmy Page's official website today, he has featured 4 of my photos from the Dallas ARMS show, held 30 years ago this Thursday.....

They will be up for the next 24 hours - much appreciated, my friend....!

www.jimmypage.com

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, EVERYONE!!

It's yet another typo; the band was never called Outrider only the album. The tour was in support of the album.

Yes, it is it's 3rd appearance. Not to put too fine a point on your statement but a typo is a typing mistake. This is simply sloppy work and I fully agree with you. I have seen this type of error many times here, most recently "Outrider". Or perhaps it is an easy way to title a "one off" project. Out of curiosity, how would you like to have seen it worded?

Yes, it is it's 3rd appearance. Not to put too fine a point on your statement but a typo is a typing mistake. This is simply sloppy work and I fully agree with you. I have seen this type of error many times here, most recently "Outrider". Or perhaps it is an easy way to title a "one off" project. Out of curiosity, how would you like to have seen it worded?

It's better if it reads I Performed at the Hummingbird in Birmingham On My First Solo Tour

or

I Performed at the Hummingbird in Birmingham Touring In Support of My Outrider Album

Only the album was titled Outrider! It's a complete misnomer for them to infer the band or the tour was also named Outrider.

----------------

"Oh, though Outrider of the Sun,that spurrest the bloody flanks of the wind! I adore Three, Evoe! I adore Thee, IAO!"

-- pg. 27 of "Diary of A Drug Fiend' by Aleister Crowley

IAO stands for Isis, Apophis and Osiris.

It's better if it reads I Performed at the Hummingbird in Birmingham On My First Solo Tour

or

I Performed at the Hummingbird in Birmingham Touring In Support of My Outrider Album

Only the album was titled Outrider! It's a complete misnomer for them to infer the band or the tour was also named Outrider.

----------------

"Oh, though Outrider of the Sun,that spurrest the bloody flanks of the wind! I adore Three, Evoe! I adore Thee, IAO!"

-- pg. 27 of "Diary of A Drug Fiend' by Aleister Crowley

IAO stands for Isis, Apophis and Osiris.

You're Hired!! lol

It looks as though 'Outrider' became the name for the entire project. Perhaps Jimmy isn't comfortable with saying "I played .... with my band/with the Jimmy Page band", maybe on then offchance he gets accused of egotism?

I am hearing the voice of reason in what woz70 says !

The JP website has many typos, errors and whatever else this particular posting is accused of ( my favourite, so good I almost think it was deliberate, remains the one about Nico living in a Muse flat rather than a mews flat) ..but I don't think this is one of them.

It's absolutely commonplace for tours and projects to be given a name. As JP wasn't in a named band, the Outrider name probably took more hold on that tour than it might have done had there been, for example, a Led Zeppelin "Outrider" tour. That's certainly shown in the photo used just recently of the Hammersmith Odeon, which displayed the word Outrider prominently on its signage.

Now, had we in other posts been told " I played with Walking into Everywhere" rather than " I played with Robert Plant" , that would be clumsy and perverse.

But Outrider, when actually there's no other collective name available, seems like a natural kind of shorthand.

I am hearing the voice of reason in what woz70 says !

The JP website has many typos, errors and whatever else this particular posting is accused of ( my favourite, so good I almost think it was deliberate, remains the one about Nico living in a Muse flat rather than a mews flat) ..but I don't think this is one of them.

It's absolutely commonplace for tours and projects to be given a name. As JP wasn't in a named band, the Outrider name probably took more hold on that tour than it might have done had there been, for example, a Led Zeppelin "Outrider" tour. That's certainly shown in the photo used just recently of the Hammersmith Odeon, which displayed the word Outrider prominently on its signage.

But Outrider, when actually there's no other collective name available, seems like a natural kind of shorthand.

I'm not quite hearing the voice of reason in what woz70 posted, perhaps because I was there and have chronicled that tour extensively. It's one thing to state "...on the Mean Business tour..." or ..."on the Outrider tour...", etc. (and come to think of it I believe the front cover of the tour itinerary booklet I have that was issued to band members and crew says "...Outrider...") but quite another to infer as the OtD post does that the band was ever called Outrider. Even the ticket stub(s) show(s) it was billed as Jimmy Page, not Outrider.

The Channel V post is a prime example of what is good on Jimmy's OTD. For those interested in the minutia of JP’s career, it offers an interesting and humorous tidbit. It is also in Jimmy’s “voice". Thanks for posting the clip.

Yes, even a broken watch is right twice a day.

Archived