JIMMY PAGE ON THIS DAY (Archive)

Oh c'mon people, lighten up. It's Jimmy's site and he can do with it as he pleases. Heaven forbid he shows a sense of humor, otherwise the masses may get upset this "genius musician" is not taking his career seriously.

Give me a break! D'oh!!!!!

I have a wicked sense of humor and love a good laugh probably more than the average person!

But there is a radical difference between clever humor and some of the stuff Makowski or whoever has been putting up since was supposed to have taken control of the site; much of which seems like filler or a silly thrown-together afterthought.

Look at other sites of those who would be of Jimmy's stature. (I can't link because I am on my phone)

Paul McCartney

Eric Clapton

David Gilmour

Roger Waters

Pete Townshend

B B King

Paul Rodgers

Jeff Beck

Keith Richards

Mick Jagger

JPJ

RP

All of the above have a dignity and class to them befitting their musical legacy..

When Jimmy first debuted his site the aesthetics of it were extremely appealing and dignified.

All i am saying is, I think most of his fans would like to see his web presence reflect the man and not be allowed to descend into camp for the sake of just putting something up for filler!

I have a wicked sense of humor and love a good laugh probably more than the average person!

But there is a radical difference between clever humor and some of the stuff Makowski or whoever has been putting up since was supposed to have taken control of the site; much of which seems like filler or a silly thrown-together afterthought.

Look at other sites of those who would be of Jimmy's stature. (I can't link because I am on my phone)

Paul McCartney

Eric Clapton

David Gilmour

Roger Waters

Pete Townshend

B B King

Paul Rodgers

Jeff Beck

Keith Richards

Mick Jagger

JPJ

RP

All of the above have a dignity and class to them befitting their musical legacy..

When Jimmy first debuted his site the aesthetics of it were extremely appealing and dignified.

All i am saying is, I think most of his fans would like to see his web presence reflect the man and not be allowed to descend into camp for the sake of just putting something up for filler!

Exactly! :D

Oh c'mon people, lighten up. It's Jimmy's site and he can do with it as he pleases. Heaven forbid he shows a sense of humor, otherwise the masses may get upset this "genius musician" is not taking his career seriously.

Give me a break! D'oh!!!!!

It's just...stupid. It has nothing to do with Jimmy, and completely goes against the intention of the feature...

EDIT: ...I'll be honest, just got the joke. It's still not funny.

Paul McCartney

Eric Clapton

David Gilmour

Roger Waters

Pete Townshend

B B King

Paul Rodgers

Jeff Beck

Keith Richards

Mick Jagger

JPJ

RP

The fact is this is Jimmy's site, he can do whatever the hell he wants. If he wants to put up shaved spider monkeys with a Devo soundtrack that is his prerogative. Please pardon me but I really don't get it, I guess I believe way too much in artistic license and personal freedom but Jimmy owes us NOTHING!!!!

I don't know about anyone else but if I were a world famous musician I can guarantee I would shut my website down after one fucking day. Once I realized no matter what I did would be good enough that would be it, game over. So sorry to disappoint the fans but hey, it's my life and if you don't like how I do things, well, there is the door.

Sorry if I come off as curt, but as far as I a concerned, after all Jimmy has contributed over the years, everything else is simply sauce for the goose.

Thank you JIMMY!!!

I remember reading in a Q story about Page and Plant back in the 90's that Jimmy actually got a kick out of the Simpsons. If true maybe this is more representative of him than some of you care to believe!

He has no solo career to promote thus his site is little more than a vanity project conceived and maintained by friends. The problem is many of his fans are still expecting so much more from it, particularly with the hourglass countdown to launch and what not.

I don't know if this is new - 3 Nov '12 was "unavailable" when I did my daily worship at the Church of Jimmy. 3 Nov '11 was "I Mastered the Outrider Album at Sterling Sound, 1988". I imagine he could have done both the gig in Connecticut and the studio work in New York, on the same day, as they are not that far apart. Anyone else ever see what turned up last year?

I think this one New Haven Outrider OTD is new. I checked it against the orginal and don't see it. :o

Yep, this is a new one. Looks like it's by the same person who wrote the On This Day entries before Peter Makowski took over. Same Photoshop data, same SoundCloud embed code, same factual errors: he played with Outrider? What, they're a band now?

The background image actually extends quite far down past the bottom of the site, it looks cool.

(Soundcloud embed is the studio recording of Wasting My Time, it was uploaded to Jimmy's Soundcloud page 2 months ago.)

https://soundcloud.com/jimmypage/wasting-my-time/s-BMnVO

post-20091-0-91382300-1383443857_thumb.j

post-20091-0-54736800-1383443912_thumb.j

I don't know if this is new - 3 Nov '12 was "unavailable" when I did my daily worship at the Church of Jimmy. 3 Nov '11 was "I Mastered the Outrider Album at Sterling Sound, 1988". I imagine he could have done both the gig in Connecticut and the studio work in New York, on the same day, as they are not that far apart. Anyone else ever see what turned up last year?

"I Mastered the Outrider Album at Sterling Sound, 1988" is yet another incorrect date. Outrider had already been released in June '88. They may have meant Nov 3, 1987, as that is the month Jimmy met with David Geffen and John Kalodner of Geffen Records, who previewed his nearly complete solo album (Outrider) and signed him to a recording contract.

What he actually did on Nov 3, 1988 was take a charter flight from New York to New Haven (Tweed Airport) and back for the show at the Coliseum in New Haven. He was booked to stay at the UN Plaza Hotel in New York from October 25 - November 7, 1988.

Yep, this is a new one. Looks like it's by the same person who wrote the On This Day entries before Peter Makowski took over. Same Photoshop data, same SoundCloud embed code, same factual errors: he played with Outrider? What, they're a band now?

The background image actually extends quite far down past the bottom of the site, it looks cool.

(Soundcloud embed is the studio recording of Wasting My Time, it was uploaded to Jimmy's Soundcloud page 2 months ago.)

https://soundcloud.com/jimmypage/wasting-my-time/s-BMnVO

Thanks so much for confirming, Cookie! I was at work when I saw this and couldn't save it. I am so relieved they are back to normal we can only hope.

"I Mastered the Outrider Album at Sterling Sound, 1988" is yet another incorrect date. Outrider had already been released in June '88. They may have meant Nov 3, 1987, as that is the month Jimmy met with David Geffen and John Kalodner of Geffen Records, who previewed his nearly complete solo album (Outrider) and signed him to a recording contract.

What he actually did on Nov 3, 1988 was take a charter flight from New York to New Haven (Tweed Airport) and back for the show at the Coliseum in New Haven. He was booked to stay at the UN Plaza Hotel in New York from October 25 - November 7, 1988.

Interesting indeed and very curious. 2 documents from Sterling are posted here (p.59) with the Nov 3rd 1988 date, to add to the confusion! Perhaps that is why the page was unavailable last year as it was not factual?

Interesting indeed and very curious. 2 documents from Sterling are posted here (p.59) with the Nov 3rd 1988 date, to add to the confusion! Perhaps that is why the page was unavailable last year as it was not factual?

The Sterling Sound one was the original he did in 2011, which lead me to believe this did not look familiar.

Oh, I see and I think I know what may have happened: Jimmy's UK website staff inadvertently converted a US-format date into a UK-format date.

Sterling Sound is a New York-based studio, and the date on the documents reads 3-11-88. In North American format, that's March 11, 1988 and is consistent with the album having been released in June 1988. I personally own an acetate from Sterling Sound cut for the first single, Wasting My Time, and it is dated June 8, 1988.

Oh, I see and I think I know what may have happened: Jimmy's UK website staff inadvertently converted a US-format date into a UK-format date.

Sterling Sound is a New York-based studio, and the date on the documents reads 3-11-88. In North American format, that's March 11, 1988 and is consistent with the album having been released in June 1988. I personally own an acetate from Sterling Sound cut for the first single, Wasting My Time, and it is dated June 8, 1988.

Well there you have it. Makes perfect sense now and obviously why it was not repeated in 2012. Thanks for clearing that up.

coliseum1.jpg The New Haven Coliseum - demolished in 2007.

I was at the New Haven concert and must say that Jimmy was in top form! Jason was very animated and he

related to the New Haven crowd very well - as did Jimmy. Great show and many good memories of Jimmy...

He was so good that night it has always puzzled me as to why he abandoned a solo career - what could

have been. Such a waste of talent and years.

Nov 4 sees the launch of Jimmy's book in 2010. I had read somewhere that a less expensive addition was going to be published for the masses. Anybody here know anything of this. I'm so annoyed I couldn't get a copy of that gorgeous volume. Also of note - Jimmy is the only one wearing a poppy on the occasion, sort of shameful he was the only one!

Nov 4 sees the launch of Jimmy's book in 2010. I had read somewhere that a less expensive addition was going to be published for the masses. Anybody here know anything of this. I'm so annoyed I couldn't get a copy of that gorgeous volume. Also of note - Jimmy is the only one wearing a poppy on the occasion, sort of shameful he was the only one!

That might have been wishful thinking on your part or, if the rumor is true, then it must have been an entirely different kind of book as Genesis never have published "mass market" versions of their books.

Anyway, for exclusivity's sake, I would be very pissed off if the book was mass-marketed (yes I have one)...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived