JIMMY PAGE ON THIS DAY (Archive)

I always fool myself on this date in thinking Jimmy will talk about the July 20, 1977 concert in Tempe, for an on this date entry. :sarcastic_hand:

I know he probably never will since he probably doesn't remember much about that day to begin with :hysterical:, but checked again tonight anyway, knowing that the 20th would already be posted. The 20th on this date has been posted, and once again, no on this date discussion of July 20, 1977 when Jimmy played with Zep in Tempe, Arizona!

It's probably one of the worst ever Zeppelin concerts. Don't know why Jimmy would consider this show OTD.

• 3 weeks later...

Same old same old for today....except................

There now seems to be some acoustic noodlings accompanying the photo of Jimmy looking rough and reading the paper. Is the audio new, or has my memory failed me?

There now seems to be some acoustic noodlings accompanying the photo of Jimmy looking rough and reading the paper. Is the audio new, or has my memory failed me?

I'm pretty sure that was there before. The upload date on the video is June 2011

Also, does anyone know what year this pic was taken? He hasn't included the year. Or does it just mean "I'm having a day off from OTD on the 12th Aug 2013, and here's a pic of me having a day off, which may not be from the 12th August, any year"?

Also, does anyone know what year this pic was taken? He hasn't included the year. Or does it just mean "I'm having a day off from OTD on the 12th Aug 2013, and here's a pic of me having a day off, which may not be from the 12th August, any year"?

We had decided it was taken in 1979.

• 4 weeks later...

7/21/11

72111.jpg

Gone Man Squared

The reaction to the publication of my beat generation poetry is gathering momentum. The cover has been featured in the booksellers’ prime source of information, Publisher’s Weekly, with a profile about the publisher. And Mark Lewisohn the author of the colossal The Beatles: All These Years, Vol 1: Tune In due to be published in a 1,000 page mass market version in October, has this to say: “Gone Man Squared arrived a few days ago, so I took it with me to Liverpool for a dirty weekend. I’m delighted with it… Great intro too by Jimmy Page: you surely couldn’t have wished for a better endorsement.”

Links ...

http://roystonellis.com/blog/page/2/

http://www.amazon.com/Gone-Man-Squared-ROYSTON-ELLIS/dp/096597779X#reader_B00EDTC2RS

Posting much after the fact but the "Day Off" OTD photo was most definitely taken in spring. The flowers in the background are tulips and they bloom March-May.

That's a fair point I thought I had looked into before. So it seems it comes down to pin-pointing what newspaper he's reading and then attempting to match it against a newspaper archive. Calling Kenog...is Kenog here?

Yes SAJ, calling Planet Earth from Outer Space.

54Tangerine is correct. Tulips do not grow in Britain in August. They would be well dead by the end of May. It doesn't matter whether JPP is photographed in the gardens of Plumpton Place, or the Tower House (I imagine from the size of the garden in the background that it is Plumpton), London and the Home Counties get sufficiently nice weather in, say, May for people to be able to sit outside.

On the question of the newspaper, it looks pink in colour - now that would suggest that it is the Financial Times. However, it is an old photograph, not taken on a digital camera, and therefore it may have discoloured over the years. It is not 'The Independent' which wasn't in existence then. It is unlikely Jimmy would read the left wing 'The Guardian'. That would leave 'The Times'. The Sunday Express was also a broadsheet in those days.

My online databases generally do not search pictorially. You would have to give me a headline from the page, and I could search on that. The system searches on text, date, headline etc. It doesn't show a photograph of the front page of every newspaper. If you can give me some text to go on, then I would happily search.

The other comment which I should like to make is the fact that Jimmy posted a photo taken in the Spring (I do think it is 1979 if you look at his physical appearance), and tried to pass it off as August gives an indication as to why 'On This Day' was not as successful a feature as we had hoped. The owner of the site thought he could dupe faithful fans, but the detail in the background gave him away. He also allowed so many silly mistakes in the texts, and they could have been corrected when presented online the second time around, but they were not.

That's a fair point I thought I had looked into before. So it seems it comes down to pin-pointing what newspaper he's reading and then attempting to match it against a newspaper archive. Calling Kenog...is Kenog here?

...Maybe I'm missing the whole thing, but what's knowing what newspaper he's reading going to do? An exact date, I get that, but why...?

...Maybe I'm missing the whole thing, but what's knowing what newspaper he's reading going to do? An exact date, I get that, but why...?

We just want to figure out when the picture is as it is one of the few Jimmy doesn't give a date. It looks like 1979 but we don't know when.

Anyway new ones are coming soon according to Peter Makowski and Cookie's twitter page. :)

That's a fair question. In this instance the point of contention is if the picture was taken August 12, 1979 - the day after their second Knebworth Festival performance - or not as the On This Day feature suggested. The presence of tulips in the background casts doubt it was; pinpointing the date of the newspaper makes the assertion it wasn't conclusive beyond a reasonable doubt AND perhaps establish the precise date. It is of particular interest to me because so few photos of Jimmy offstage in 1979 are in circulation and, as kenog alluded to, I have an inquisitive nature.

Yes SAJ, calling Planet Earth from Outer Space.

54Tangerine is correct. Tulips do not grow in Britain in August. They would be well dead by the end of May. It doesn't matter whether JPP is photographed in the gardens of Plumpton Place, or the Tower House (I imagine from the size of the garden in the background that it is Plumpton), London and the Home Counties get sufficiently nice weather in, say, May for people to be able to sit outside.

On the question of the newspaper, it looks pink in colour - now that would suggest that it is the Financial Times. However, it is an old photograph, not taken on a digital camera, and therefore it may have discoloured over the years. It is not 'The Independent' which wasn't in existence then. It is unlikely Jimmy would read the left wing 'The Guardian'. That would leave 'The Times'. The Sunday Express was also a broadsheet in those days.

My online databases generally do not search pictorially. You would have to give me a headline from the page, and I could search on that. The system searches on text, date, headline etc. It doesn't show a photograph of the front page of every newspaper. If you can give me some text to go on, then I would happily search.

The other comment which I should like to make is the fact that Jimmy posted a photo taken in the Spring (I do think it is 1979 if you look at his physical appearance), and tried to pass it off as August gives an indication as to why 'On This Day' was not as successful a feature as we had hoped. The owner of the site thought he could dupe faithful fans, but the detail in the background gave him away. He also allowed so many silly mistakes in the texts, and they could have been corrected when presented online the second time around, but they were not.

Since Cookie is there, perhaps he could tell us maybe the size of the garden at Tower House. It looks like 79 as opposed to 73. The would be true the tulips would be dead in August. It looks like Spring. Their weather is much like where I am in Massachsettes.

That's a fair question. In this instance the point of contention is if the picture was taken August 12, 1979 - the day after their second Knebworth Festival performance - or not as the On This Day feature suggested. The presence of tulips in the background casts doubt it was; pinpointing the date of the newspaper makes the assertion it wasn't conclusive beyond a reasonable doubt AND perhaps establish the precise date. It is of particular interest to me because so few photos of Jimmy offstage in 1979 are in circulation and, as kenog alluded to, I have an inquisitive nature.

I agree that there few pictures of him off stage at home in the mid - late 70s at all. I too find anything with Jimmy interesting.

Inquisitive and "articulate" too! lol. Thank you for the explanation, it makes much more sense to me now. It could be possible that the photograph is just one from his many days off.

Okay, so my next question would have to be - Have you emailed and asked jimmypage.com for the year of the photograph? Perhaps they would know the answer, or they could pass the question on to Jimmy himself? He seems like a genuinely good soul. After all, what harm could be done? He's already made it public on his website and it is only a photograph. Seeing how you're going to such extremes to find your answer, they might be understanding and able to help.

I am sure SAJ will come online and answer you on this, but what I would like to say for the moment is that when there were many mistakes made on the 'On This Day' feature, members here tried to contact the site to point these errors out - they got nowhere. He was being managed at one point by i.e. Management, and I and others sent emails to their site regarding various queries - we got no response.

SAJ has said he is going to make contact with former Sounds journalist, Peter Makowski, who is a close personal friend of Jimmy, and also is now involved with the 'On This Day' feature.

Okay, so my next question would have to be - Have you emailed and asked jimmypage.com for the year of the photograph? Perhaps they would know the answer, or they could pass the question on to Jimmy himself? He seems like a genuinely good soul. After all, what harm could be done? He's already made it public on his website and it is only a photograph. Seeing how you're going to such extremes to find your answer, they might be understanding and able to help.

I'd very much like to know where and when the "Day Off" photo was taken. I suspect they likely used a random photo to convey a day off the stage but I agree with SteveAJones , we have far too few photo of Jimmy in that era, so yeah it is of interest to a JP fan......I just love all you connected people, you'll get the answers!!

I am sure SAJ will come online and answer you on this, but what I would like to say for the moment is that when there were many mistakes made on the 'On This Day' feature, members here tried to contact the site to point these errors out - they got nowhere. He was being managed at one point by i.e. Management, and I and others sent emails to their site regarding various queries - we got no response.

SAJ has said he is going to make contact with former Sounds journalist, Peter Makowski, who is a close personal friend of Jimmy, and also is now involved with the 'On This Day' feature.

So you've sent emails to jimmypage.com attempting to inform them of a job poorly done...? Hmm, I'm not sure that's the best way to get a response out of someone, lol. Or do they ignore all emails altogether?

Oh wow, going to a personal friend, this seems like it's more important than a quest to know out of curiosity or for personal archival purposes. Are you two writing a book together or something?

Myself and many others have identified several JimmyPage.com and On This Day inaccuracies, and they've been pretty good about correcting them (at least the concert chronology). I will be putting a request forward to Peter Makowski concerning the photo as that seems to be the most expedient, least intrusive manner to make an inquiry.

Archived