JIMMY PAGE ON THIS DAY (Archive)

I wonder if jimmy page recorded those drums. If music is the universal language, then drums are maybe the most universal instrument. I liked some of the shifts in that song, seemingly mistakes. There were sections where things seemed to get out of sync and it pulled and stretched the song and other disjointed moments, where it compressed the movement of the song. But they always got back to the flow and it moved along nicely. Or maybe they were just mistakes and they kept on playing, not saying and don't know exactly.

I think jimmy page and john bonham were very aware of that process, ya hear shifts and stutters in every moby dick and with page, four sticks, ocean, wanton, hots on, acoustic embryo song. Its so interesting and totally anti perfection. Page did it live on 77 tour too, in different spontaneous places in songs. I think it was picked up by grunge bands in the 90s and used very well too.

I wonder if jimmy page recorded those drums. If music is the universal language, then drums are maybe the most universal instrument. I liked some of the shifts in that song, seemingly mistakes. There were sections where things seemed to get out of sync and it pulled and stretched the song and other disjointed moments, where it compressed the movement of the song. But they always got back to the flow and it moved along nicely. Or maybe they were just mistakes and they kept on playing, not saying and don't know exactly.

I think jimmy page and john bonham were very aware of that process, ya hear shifts and stutters in every moby dick and with page, four sticks, ocean, wanton, hots on, acoustic embryo song. Its so interesting and totally anti perfection. Page did it live on 77 tour too, in different spontaneous places in songs. I think it was picked up by grunge bands in the 90s and used very well too.

...Middlezep, I too wonder about Page and his passion for music, as you discuss here...here is also some discussion of the Original 70's Scene in Goa, with Respect o Led Zeppelin, The Who, and the Counter Culture Movement thereof...Led Zeppelin actually travelled to Bombay, The Who has confirmed visit in Goa...

During the Seventies, the musical repertoire of the first Goa DJs was mostly made of the mind-blowing rock music of the time : Led Zeppelin, the Who - both groups came to Goa - the Grateful Dead, the Doors, Neil Young, the Eagle, Pink Floyd, but also some Bob Marley, Parliament...

http://psychedelic_trance.pagesperso-orange.fr/psy_history_part1.htm

...and Happy Belated Birthday to Sam Webmaster...I knew it to be around this date...Loved and Respected as always....

:notworthy: :notworthy:

Can you imagine that beautiful sight, PlanetPage? Do you know if this was Jimmy's first trip to Goa? Had he been there before, during his earlier visit to Bombay? I was interested to see that he entered India through Bangalore because when we were in Goa we entered the country via Bombay (there weren't yet any international flights into Bangalore). The beaches of Goa, when we were there, were beautiful and white, studded with palm trees. We never went back to Goa as our preferred beaches in India are in Pondy.

Do you and your friends know if this place in my photo is still in Goa? Inside was a sign with The Doors' lyric - This is the End, beautiful friend - it was paradise.

IndiaGoaEndoftheWorld2.jpg

.... interesting question posed here from "MSG", Never been documented by Richard Cole/Official Auto Bio of "James Patrick Page"...but couple references here that indeed "Page" may have visited Goa in the 70's...not entirely sure....

Tito’s was the host of the elite as well as the common man. “I remember dad telling us that in the mid 70s, Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits was practicing the notes and lyrics of the song ‘In The Gallery’,” recalls David as he pointed to the place where Mark would sit.

There were others big rock names such as Jimmy Page, Jim Morrision and Jetro Tull, among others. Jimmy Page of the Led Zeppelin fame would walk with a long stick wrapped around with colourful crape paper. The Bollywood stars, ministers and MLAs all frequented Tito’s.

http://www.navhindtimes.in/business-and-commerce/tito-s-legacy-lives

http://www.goaholidayhomes.com/photo-gallery/restaurants/141

http://www.goanjourney.com/Multi-Cuisine-Restaurants-Goa-Tito-s-Courtyard-Goa-LIST-157-0.html

Titos..

Jim Morrison went to India to follow Alexander The Great's route.

http://ancienthistory.about.com/od/alexanderpictures/ss/042609Alexanderpix_7.htm

SAJ, thank you for your expert knowledge as always, Jim Morrison must have stopped in Goa in conjunction with his above scheduled journey...perhaps there are confirmed photos...and interesting that Richard never mentioned Goa in Stairway to Heaven, let's see if any further evidence with photos from Tito's perhaps... If you do confirm anything, please do post it for the fans to "fascinate" ourselves as usual...

Hi planetpage, out of the bands you mentioned, I definately hear a world drum sound with, the grateful dead. I believe I heard a metal bar percussive instrument in that drum song on pages site. I know Mickey Hart played one, over Bills beats in they're drums song. I wish bonham had utilized such a sound live, it's very cool against the acoustic drum sound. Hearing that song yesterday, sent me on a tangent thinking about music.

With, the doors, I am not recalling anything other than, black train song. The vocal, away away away to India. A very basic example, but only thing I can think of.

When those eastern influences are blended with western rock, it's great.

interesting that Richard never mentioned Goa in Stairway to Heaven

I could kindly ask Richard to confirm or deny for us having gone there, but it's my clear understanding his as well as Jimmy's explorations in India back then were limited to areas in and around Bombay as you and I discussed previously within a separate thread. Bombay to Goa is about an 11.5 hour drive...they simply didn't have that kind of time to work with when they visited India back then.

SAJ, thank you for your gracious offer to confirm with Our Beloved Road Manager, Richard Cole, for all of the fans here, but I do recall those early discussions and agree with you noting their purpose and timing....Focus was the EMI Studios/Bombay Sessions; I also think that the counter culture movement to Goa, would fall a bit short of interest to Led Zeppelin...Woodstock was not on their list...Jimmy has always been innovative, he would choose to do something exceptional...

Hi planetpage, out of the bands you mentioned, I definately hear a world drum sound with, the grateful dead. I believe I heard a metal bar percussive instrument in that drum song on pages site. I know Mickey Hart played one, over Bills beats in they're drums song. I wish bonham had utilized such a sound live, it's very cool against the acoustic drum sound. Hearing that song yesterday, sent me on a tangent thinking about music.

With, the doors, I am not recalling anything other than, black train song. The vocal, away away away to India. A very basic example, but only thing I can think of.

When those eastern influences are blended with western rock, it's great.

Hi middlezep, thank you for interesting analysis, much like Page himself, ...the Metal Bar percussive intrument is here, played in this video, the Ghumat is the "Pitcher" instrument, also similar to South Indian Music Carnatic Music...I heard both of these sounds in Jimmy's innovative as always musical journeys..

His role is to..... not get off his arse and do anything new

As expected.

More archive material is not the 'new material' he's been promising for the last 15 years.,
Expect.... 'the firm' remastered......
Expect.....Coverdale/Page era demos......

C'mon Pagey! Quit with the re-hash, and do the 'something unexpected', that you've been promising 'next year' for nearly 2 decades.

Sorry for the outburst. My patience is exhausted..

His role is to..... not get off his arse and do anything new

As expected.

More archive material is not the 'new material' he's been promising for the last 15 years.,

Expect.... 'the firm' remastered......

Expect.....Coverdale/Page era demos......

C'mon Pagey! Quit with the re-hash, and do the 'something unexpected', that you've been promising 'next year' for nearly 2 decades.

Sorry for the outburst. My patience is exhausted..

You got the inside scoop? Didn't think so. Stop being a buzzkill and enjoy the ride.

You got the inside scoop? Didn't think so. Stop being a buzzkill and enjoy the ride.

Buzz-kill? Yes, maybe. But Jimmy has brought on such (low expectations and bitterness from fans) himself

over the many years. Let's hope this is finally the year he turns the sour to sweetness again...

Buzz-kill? Yes, maybe. But Jimmy has brought on such (low expectations and bitterness from fans) himself

over the many years. Let's hope this is finally the year he turns the sour to sweetness again...

There's no excusing how vitriolic and gimme-gimme some Zeppelin fans are.

This is different -- this isn't "hey I might do X," or "hey I'm planning on Y," this is "these sets are coming out."

Archived