What Made You Happy today?

Hotplant

^^

Dd, thank you for your comprehensive answer -- you've just educated me about the NO restaurant scene. The only places you've mentioned where I can remember eating are Brennan's and Mr. Ed's Oyster House. I'm not a foodie (at all) and during my initial NO visits in the mid to late 90's I made a point to visit as many famous NO restaurants as I could. (I'm ashamed to admit that I can't remember most of their names or what I ate.)

My favorite plantation house near NO is Oak Alley -- well worth a visit -- but there are several others that I love as well. I'm planning to visit New Orleans and Mississippi next month with my girlfriend -- she's visited NO but never seen the plantation houses -- and I'll let you know about any notable events during our trip.

Thanks, Pagefan! I'll make a note about Oak Alley, and hopefully plan a visit soon! Some of the well known restaurants that you may have visited include Commander's Palace, Arnaud's, K-Paul's Kitchen, and Emeril's. Have fun on your trip, the plantation homes sound like a hit!

:)

Happy that the final scores of the IMM archery score has come through.

I got a total score of 610 and placed 7th in my category (the 600's mark seems to me where most of the archers competing have scored)

...Not bad for someone who has only been doing archery for a year and a half me thinks.

Excellent!

Thank you, Dd. Yes, Arnaud's and Commander's Palace both ring a bell -- I've eaten at those places..Thanks for all of your advice -- you've provided me with a great culinary roadmap. Oak Alley is definitely worth a visit. Talk soon.

Hi, Pagefan! We tend to go to the restaurants that are within walking distance from the hotel, some favorites are Galatoire's (very fun and lively, coat required for the gents - which you can borrow off the rack if you forget ;), and waiters that you ask for by name), Restaurant August (a John Besh restaurant), Restaurant R'evolution (we've only been able to eat in the bar area, but it is a great atmosphere with full food service), Brennan's (newly reopened after a major - and beautiful - renovation, we love their brunch), Mr. Ed's Oyster House (super yummy charbroiled oysters and gumbo) and Cafe Maspero (great sandwiches and French onion soup). We go to New Orleans often to see the plays (and Jazz Fest), but eating in New Orleans is a major part of the experience. I know there are a ton of great restaurants that we haven't even tried, I'm trying to be better about branching out, but it's hard when you have favorites!

I have not visited the plantation homes (near NOLA) but have heard from others who have, and I would love to see them. There is also a WWII Museum that we would love to visit that I understand is really nice. Have you made your trip to NOLA? I'm always open to tips from others who are from there or travel there.

Oh, Lawdy! Cafe Maspero! Best muffalettas I've ever consumed.The interior brickwork architecture is a feast in itself. Never visit NOLA without a trip or two to Cafe Maspero.

Oh, Lawdy! Cafe Maspero! Best muffalettas I've ever consumed.The interior brickwork architecture is a feast in itself. Never visit NOLA without a trip or two to Cafe Maspero.

Indeed, jabe, the best muffulettas! I also love that the windows are big and wide open, it's a great place to people watch! I have special memories of Cafe Maspero and have been a patron for 30+ years. I've recently noticed that there is a Pierre Maspero's close by, although I haven't eaten there.

Wasn't quite sure what thread to put this under but here's one for Flashback Friday.

A friend sent me this link after we discussed the differences between "What's Happening?" and "That's My Mama" (don't ask how we got on that subject haha). I used to watch "What's Happening?" but I don't remember this Doobie Brothers episode at all.

Rerun tries to bootleg the Doobie Brothers concert. It's a good thing Mike Millard didn't let this episode scare him off taping Led Zeppelin hehe. What is also fascinating about this episode is the huge amount of time they let the Doobie Brothers play. That wouldn't happen today...a band would be lucky to get a few minutes.

Enjoy this Doobie Brothers flashback from the 70s.

http://youtu.be/n7lwTVyu5sw

That is definitely very cool how long they let the Doobie Brothers play, got to love it! That's a really cool episode. I have lots of recordings I made just like that, they are really cool to go back and listen to, a timewarp! At one Deep Purple concert I was recording and was smashed on everclear (it was an all-day concert with different bands, my friend brought in a gallon of water that he opened and put everclear in it and closed it perfectly to look like it had been unopened and I accidentally drank too much) and I dropped the tape recorder about 4-5 times like that, no one said anything. I woke up the next morning sick hung over and threw up not remembering what I did the night before, not until I found the cassette player laying there, and when I played it back it was funny to listen to me going nuts for Deep Purple smashed! But I remember everything with the tape. It is a great memory for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg-vgGuTD8A Timewarp

Edited by luvlz2

This thread should be what made me happy this week. I've been working on getting a children's book I wrote published and it came out this week.

WINDSONG WENDY is now available.

Wow, that is awesome! Congratulations!