Does 'Coda' Count?

KraschenBern

I'm putting together a "Zep A to Z" playlist. When I do these, I only include "official" releases (album cuts, singles, B-sides) but generally not unreleased, demos, alternate takes, cuts from "deluxe"/reissues, etc.

Which puts something like Coda in a weird spot. I don't consider it a "real" Zep album, really... (I know others feel the same about ITTOD but that counts!)

So what say, you, Internet? Should I include the songs on the original Coda on my list?

2 hours ago, KraschenBern said:

I'm putting together a "Zep A to Z" playlist. When I do these, I only include "official" releases (album cuts, singles, B-sides) but generally not unreleased, demos, alternate takes, cuts from "deluxe"/reissues, etc.

Which puts something like Coda in a weird spot. I don't consider it a "real" Zep album, really... (I know others feel the same about ITTOD but that counts!)

So what say, you, Internet? Should I include the songs on the original Coda on my list?

It counts. Otherwise Jimmy would not have included it among the Remaster series of releases.

2 hours ago, Strider said:

Otherwise Jimmy would not have included it among the Remaster series of releases.

Depends on what bills were due that month!

OK, OK it's only eight songs to include... I never considered it canon (when it came out, it felt like it was just a cash grab)... I wonder what the age breakdown is of folks that include it vs. don't include it!

3 hours ago, morningson said:

I honestly don't consider it an album, but I still like it. Poor Tom and Darlene are fucking great.

I'm glad someone appreciates Darlene. It was the only track that had a natural melody to it and didn't sound so forced (Looking at you Wearing And Tearing).

Back in the Stone Age  when bootlegs were as rare as silver nickels Coda got its share of play just as much as 1 through ITTOD. 

In fact the one two punch of WGG and ICQY is the cause of most of my hearing loss. 

Yes vote here 

8 hours ago, KraschenBern said:

It works perfectly on a "Zep A to Z" playlist.

Personally, I would call anything released after the death of Bonzo, a Led Zeppelin outtake album. Unreleased songs and live versions of released songs that we haven't heard (occurring while Bonzo was alive). It's still an "official" release. Yeah, go for it on the playlist!  

4 hours ago, TM said:

Of course it counts, one of the original official albums and It’s good stuff.  Zeppelin did not put out anything bad in my opinion.

See, but it isn't really one of the "original" albums... It was an afterthought... But I'm turning to you guys for how "official" it was! It isn't really outtakes, but it really isn't not outtakes, either...

But I wouldn't consider not including "Hey Hey What Can I Do" - which was "only" a B-side, so, yeah, it'll be in the list.

Just don't fuck with me on "The Crunge" coming before "Custard Pie"!!!!

Never liked it, shouldn't have happened, and for me the songs included were never put in their proper perspective until The Box Set.  The marketing campaign was a bummer, and the remaining members attitude towards it was indifference.  It had no flow, some songs are unfinished, and most importantly, it was a mere shadow of the recording standard established by the 8 previous studio albums.  It was as disappointing as Ali fighting Trevor Berbick almost a year before.     

However if you're going A to Z, they should all be included. 

I count it. It’s a led zeppelin album for me. I think of it like this.

jp seems to have a lot of input into track lists for all the albums. Maybe more so on Coda.

not all songs were recorded for this album. Other zeppelin albums had songs from different times and sessions / studios  put together into an album. Take physical for instance

its the similar  way of working.

It may not be a real album, but it is certainly a collection of songs.  The songs on Coda, with the exception of I Can't Quit You Baby" can't be found anywhere else on the official releases so they should certainly be included.  If not you'll have to throw out half or Physical Graffiti  because those songs were unreleased until included on that album. 

19 hours ago, KraschenBern said:

Technically every song was unreleased until included on an album...!

True, but the point that I am making is that songs that were recorded with the intention of including them on a different album shouldn't be disqualified.

12 minutes ago, mrlowry said:

True, but the point that I am making is that songs that were recorded with the intention of including them on a different album shouldn't be disqualified.

Otherwise you’d have to do away with half of Physical Graffiti 

Archived