Rolling Stones song Scarlet from 1974 w Jimmy Page to be released

Well, they needed something to juice up sales. I have been buying all the deluxe Rolling Stones remasters up to now...Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main St., Some Girls. 

But I was not going to buy "Goats Head Soup" unless it had something really special added. Jimmy's song and "Brussels Affair" (even though I've had that show for years already in three different versions) will do nicely.

5 hours ago, Strider said:

Well, they needed something to juice up sales. I have been buying all the deluxe Rolling Stones remasters up to now...Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main St., Some Girls. 

But I was not going to buy "Goats Head Soup" unless it had something really special added. Jimmy's song and "Brussels Affair" (even though I've had that show for years already in three different versions) will do nicely.

I may be in the minority but I really like GHS. Dancing with Mr. D is a gem, Angie, and Doo Doo Doo Do are classics. Maybe the album is not quite up to Exile, Sticky, etc. but it holds something special for me.

1 hour ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

I may be in the minority but I really like GHS. Dancing with Mr. D is a gem, Angie, and Doo Doo Doo Do are classics. Maybe the album is not quite up to Exile, Sticky, etc. but it holds something special for me.

I don't dislike "Goat's Head Soup" but coming after that brilliant run of albums from "Beggars" to "Exile", it was bound to suffer.

"Dancing With Mr. D" and "Star Star" were too obvious with the Chuck Berry riffs and the Stones trying to be outrageous. It was the Stones regurgitating themselves. "Angie" was okay until radio played it to death.

My favourite GHS tracks are "Winter", "Heartbreaker", "Coming Down Again", "100 Years Ago", and "Silver Train".

But that alone is not enough to get me to pony up for yet another remaster. Not when I already have two different vinyl (one original and one later pressing) and two cd versions of the album.

This news about the bonus extras definitely changes my mind, though.

I've ordered the double CD set, I already have a few Brussels Affairs, one in Quad.   Live, they play everything a little too fast in this period imo, I may change my mind though, I'm a sucker for a 5.1 mix.

8 hours ago, JTM said:

I've ordered the double CD set, I already have a few Brussels Affairs, one in Quad.   Live, they play everything a little too fast in this period imo, I may change my mind though, I'm a sucker for a 5.1 mix.

Dude, just to hear "Midnight Rambler" in 5.1 alone will be worth the price of admission. That is one of the greatest "Midnight Rambler"s ever...Mick Taylor and Keef tear it up.

1 minute ago, Strider said:

Dude, just to hear "Midnight Rambler" in 5.1 alone will be worth the price of admission. That is one of the greatest "Midnight Rambler"s ever...Mick Taylor and Keef tear it up.

I just gave the quad version of Rambler from a DVD-A of the KBFH broadcast a listen, I give in, it's a bit too fast, for a while, then it just chugs along with pure menace, spine tingling, I've got to have it.

59 minutes ago, JTM said:

I just gave the quad version of Rambler from a DVD-A of the KBFH broadcast a listen, I give in, it's a bit too fast, for a while, then it just chugs along with pure menace, spine tingling, I've got to have it.

Cocaine is a helluva drug. Haha.

There is a snippet to Scarlet at 0:31 of the GHS Promo clip. I SWEAR I've heard it before. 

The music is def from a song entitled Dancing In The Light an unused 72 session recording. Comparing it to the snippet, they are the same. Lyrics diff.

Edited by Massmick

20 hours ago, Strider said:

Charlie's good every night.

So I'm all alone this Saturday afternoon, and I've decided to have a Stones marathon. I'll be watching all the concert films from the '70s... Ladies and Gentlemen, L.A. Forum, and Some Girls. L&G is a classic and one of my first real exposures to the Stones. I've only seen the Forum once before, and Some Girls will get it's first viewing from me tonight. We'll see which one I like the best when it's all over, but L&G is gonna be tough to beat.

Sean, I'm pretty sure you were at the 1973 Forum show, correct? Did you also see them at the Forum in 1975 and Anaheim in 1978? If so, which one was your favorite?

I recently listened to the 1973 bootleg for the first time and it's one of the best!

49 minutes ago, William Austin said:

So I'm all alone this Saturday afternoon, and I've decided to have a Stones marathon. I'll be watching all the concert films from the '70s... Ladies and Gentlemen, L.A. Forum, and Some Girls. L&G is a classic and one of my first real exposures to the Stones. I've only seen the Forum once before, and Some Girls will get it's first viewing from me tonight. We'll see which one I like the best when it's all over, but L&G is gonna be tough to beat.

Sean, I'm pretty sure you were at the 1973 Forum show, correct? Did you also see them at the Forum in 1975 and Anaheim in 1978? If so, which one was your favorite?

I recently listened to the 1973 bootleg for the first time and it's one of the best!

I did not see the Nicaraguan benefit at the Forum in 1973. I did see the 1972 shows at the Hollywood Palladium and the afternoon show at the L.A. Forum (they did two shows at the Forum on the same day).

The Palladium show was a near-death experience and the sound was too loud for the venue and the Palladium acoustics are the worst even in the best of circumstances. It was memorable in so far as I survived and it was my first time seeing such megastars. Like it or not, the Rolling Stones were on another level of celebrity compared to other bands in 1972...even Led Zeppelin.

The L.A. Forum show I saw a couple days after that Palladium gig was much more comfortable and much better sound and setlist wise. By far my favourite Rolling Stones concert.

Followed by the 1975 L.A. Forum shows July 11 and 13. The staging was spectacular...that mirrored lotus flower was really cool. The inflatable penis and Jagger and Billy Preston humping each other, not so much.

But musically, the Stones still had some edge and hadn't MORed their sound yet. Ronnie Wood was fresh off the Faces tour (which I saw in March) and could still play his ass off while clowning around with Mick and Keef. But you could see the signs of trouble creeping in the show...Mick's atrocious campy vocals and him becoming a parody of himself first and foremost amongst the negatives. But overall they were still good in 1975 and it was the first time they played two hours in concert instead of the usual 75-90 minutes.

The 1978 Anaheim Stadium should have been better. I loved the "Some Girls" album and the setlist was heavy with "Some Girls" songs. But they played little else and again relied too heavily on Chuck Berry covers. If I want to hear Chuck Berry tunes I'll go see Chuck Berry. After playing two hour sets in 1975 they were back to barely playing 90 minutes in 1978.

Another problem was that the sound sucked at Anaheim Stadium. Outdoor shows usually suck because the sound is at the mercy of the wind, the weather, and stadium acoustics...which are nil. Stadiums are built for sports not music concerts.

It didn't help the mood when Mick was constantly pissed at the people throwing shoes on the stage. The clothes the band wore on this tour were pretty silly. Mick especially looked like a sad old fop.

So...the order is as follows:

1. 1972

2. 1975

3. 1978

That doesn't include the tours I saw in 1981, 1989, 1994, 1997, 1999, 2002, 2008, and 2013 (with Mick Taylor).

• 2 weeks later...

Jimmy Page FB:

Scarlet by The Rolling Stones and featuring JP, is out tomorrow.

Listen to the exclusive first play plus a chat with Mick Jagger and Jimmy tomorrow on BBC Radio 2 with Zoe Ball – tune in from 08:30 BST Wednesday July 22nd.

Out everywhere 09:00 BST.

111045872_10159018551758287_4683965068052027650_n.jpg.52b3a1589019468b71a3761fd267df05.jpg

2 hours ago, zeplz71 said:

Jimmy Page FB:

Scarlet by The Rolling Stones and featuring JP, is out tomorrow.

Listen to the exclusive first play plus a chat with Mick Jagger and Jimmy tomorrow on BBC Radio 2 with Zoe Ball – tune in from 08:30 BST Wednesday July 22nd.

Out everywhere 09:00 BST.

111045872_10159018551758287_4683965068052027650_n.jpg.52b3a1589019468b71a3761fd267df05.jpg

8. 30 am !!!! that's the middle of the night, way too early.

I think this is pretty damn cool.  Somehow I'd thought Rich Grech was on this?  But you can definitely hear Pagey's solo near the end.  Must have been a hell of a party.

Nice to hear Mick and Jimmy talking - pretty discreetly, I'd say - about Stones and Zep history.  And now I know that morning radio shows are as inane in the UK as in Canada and the US.