Rolling Stones song Scarlet from 1974 w Jimmy Page to be released

7 hours ago, reids said:

Agreed. I think some things (like percussion) were recorded (re-recorded) recently to make the mix sound fresh. 

R😎

Mick says in the interview he added maracas later on during final mixing.

On 7/21/2020 at 8:11 PM, zeplz71 said:

Jimmy Page FB:

Scarlet by The Rolling Stones and featuring JP, is out tomorrow.

Listen to the exclusive first play plus a chat with Mick Jagger and Jimmy tomorrow on BBC Radio 2 with Zoe Ball – tune in from 08:30 BST Wednesday July 22nd.

Out everywhere 09:00 BST.

111045872_10159018551758287_4683965068052027650_n.jpg.52b3a1589019468b71a3761fd267df05.jpg

Note the number "2" in front of that second notation on the tape box. Sure looks like it means track number 2, as opposed to how it appears on the "official" Youtube video now, where they have removed the 2 which makes it look like notes for track 1. Notice also the time for Scarlet, 3:05, is much shorter than the official youtube version. This suggests the original tape has been edited to extend it for a commercial release.

Well spotted, Steve and all good points. Suggests that the released version of Scarlet could include several splices, with sections repeated to create a longer track. Also that no.2 is a still unheard jam with Jimmy, Keith and Stu.   

1 hour ago, hummingbird69 said:

Saving it for a posthumous release ?

Or another extended re-issue (Maybe “It’s only R&R” or “ Black & Blue”) as another bonus track to get more Led Zeppelin fans to buy in a second time??? Later, they’ll probably release an unheard version of “One Hit To The Body” (w/ JP alternate / extended solo or something) from a reissue of Dirty Work (1986). 

R😎

Edited by reids

On 7/27/2020 at 5:50 AM, reids said:

Or another extended re-issue (Maybe “It’s only R&R” or “ Black & Blue”) as another bonus track to get more Led Zeppelin fans to buy in a second time??? Later, they’ll probably release an unheard version of “One Hit To The Body” (w/ JP alternate / extended solo or something) from a reissue of Dirty Work (1986). 

R😎

I don't think DW will ever get the re release treatment. Im pretty sure the Stones and most Stones fans would rather forget that album was ever released 🤣

2 hours ago, tom kid said:

I don't think DW will ever get the re release treatment. Im pretty sure the Stones and most Stones fans would rather forget that album was ever released 🤣

Lol 😆 agreed. If there’s money to be made in re-issues.... 

We’ll see. 

R😎

11 hours ago, tom kid said:

I didn't buy it first time around, borrowed from the library instead. Didn't think it worthy of even being taped. No way would I buy a reissue.

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Snickybomb said:

The video for this song looks awful.   Not that I expected Jimbo or the Stones to make an appearance, but it still defied my expectations.  Anybody seen it?

Yes, it's alright.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, sixpense said:

Is that all he did?

I assume so.  The solos are distinctly Page, but I don't hear anything particularly Zeppelinesque in the rest of the song.  If he did contribute enough to merit a writing credit, it's hard to imagine someone like Page giving them a freebie.

11 hours ago, Mr.Bones said:

Just ask Mick Taylor and he wrote much more than just the solos yet...nada.

That's a different issue.  Legally solos etc. are arrangements and don't count towards credit.  Re. Taylor, what other choice did he have but to put up with the internal politics of the band?  Not like he was a superstar in his own right like Page.  In 1974 Page did not have to tag along for the ride while others took credit for his ideas.  So it's highly unlikely that he contributed anything more than the solos here.

3 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

That's a different issue.  Legally solos etc. are arrangements and don't count towards credit.  Re. Taylor, what other choice did he have but to put up with the internal politics of the band?  Not like he was a superstar in his own right like Page.  In 1974 Page did not have to tag along for the ride while others took credit for his ideas.  So it's highly unlikely that he contributed anything more than the solos here.

Its just a real shame people like Taylor & Ronson get the shaft on writing credits even though they wrote a good share of these songs, or, took sketches in the case of Ronson and turned them into the songs we know and love. Bowie typically wrote his songs on an acoustic guitar and then presented the rough demo to Ronson who pretty much took it from there on many of Bowies biggest hits. 

Also, both Taylor & Ronson are woefully underrated guitarists as well (outside of the fans of course). Double shaft.

1 hour ago, bluecongo said:

He may not get writing credit, but performers can get “points” from a recording they appear on.  I’m sure Jimbo has or will be compensated in some way.

Jimmy never does anything for free, especially these days ;) Only his yearly album/tour-announcement is for free 😅