Stevie Ray Vaughn

Legacy01

I will not deny he was a great guitarist. But I can't stand the sound production on his records.. it's too slick, and the bass and drums sounds thin. If he'd been born 15 years earlier and recorded in the late 60's I would probably been a big fan of his.. What's even worse is that his sound has become some sort of standard for most blues musicians of today. But on the other hand, that shows the big impact he's had on modern blues.

Cheers to Stevie.

I will not deny he was a great guitarist. But I can't stand the sound production on his records.. it's too slick, and the bass and drums sounds thin. If he'd been born 15 years earlier and recorded in the late 60's I would probably been a big fan of his.. What's even worse is that his sound has become some sort of standard for most blues musicians of today. But on the other hand, that shows the big impact he's had on modern blues.

Cheers to Stevie.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Didn't see a Stevie Ray Vaughn thread anywhere so I thought I'd make one!

Everyone else think he's just a perfectionist on guitar?

His version of Voodoo Child:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GSpbuFSr2o...feature=related

I think he'd probably still be playing gigs today, legendary guitarist and worth a mention imo.

Stevie was an amazing guitarist and an amazing guy.

Absolutely. Only saw him once in concert, in his early days, in LA. Incredible. I think that he certainly would still be playing gigs today.

I don't know if Ronnie Wood put this one in his book but it's a great story he tells:

People drop by his home, The Wick, at all hours. One rainy night around 2am there was a knock at the door. Ronnie opened the front door and there was SRV with his guitar on,

ready to jam. Ronnie said "Stevie, do you mean to tell me you hailed a cab with your guitar strapped on?" Indeed he did.

Ronnie invited him in and they jammed on blues standards all night long. Classic!

I don't know if Ronnie Wood put this one in his book but it's a great story he tells:

People drop by his home, The Wick, at all hours. One rainy night around 2am there was a knock at the door. Ronnie opened the front door and there was SRV with his guitar on,

ready to jam. Ronnie said "Stevie, do you mean to tell me you hailed a cab with your guitar strapped on?" Indeed he did.

Ronnie invited him in and they jammed on blues standards all night long. Classic!

Oh, to have been a fly on the wall of The Wick that night!

I saw him open for Robert Plant on the "Now and Zen" tour. It was early in his career-I dont remember how soon after he met his tragic fate. He was great that night and got a very good reaction from a sold out arenea here in Rochester, NY. Im sure he got to know Robert Plant pretty well. Another tragedy that Robert had to deal with like so many others.

I saw that too. Amazing concert. I think he died only a couple of years after that. It was early 90s I feel.

Even if people think he is one-dimensional and his studio recordings lack in tonal quailty, I dont think I ever saw any artist entertained a crowd the way Stevie Ray did the first time I caught him live.

On New Years Eve 1985 or 86, here in San Antonio an intoxicated SRV gave his best as a lounge singer before 15,000.

Telling jokes, commenting on the peolpe in the first few rows, explaing interesting little tibits about the next song. It was almost like Las Vegas. I have never seen a show like that since. The total entertainer.

Between shots of Crown Royal, his playing got better as the night progressed. Sporting his famous war bonnet, he suddenly stopped near midnight and said, "I want to kiss my wife". You could have heard a pin drop.

In November 1989, nine months before his tragic death in Wisconsin, I saw Jeff Beck open for a clean and sober Stevie Ray in Austin, Texas.

Stevie Ray was on top of his game then. Absolutely flawless. Beyond reproach.

When he played Texas Flood behind the back, thats all I can say about that. Speechless.

Call him generic, one dimensional even, but if you ever saw him play then you know what I am talking about,

To bad he is gone.

Thanks for sharing that! Stevie was great with audiences. I completely agree with you on the hearing him play live business. I was only fortunate to hear him play live once, but I never forgot that. Years later, our son discovered Stevie and still loves his music. So much so that he even went to Austin with his friends to see the memorial statue of Stevie.

I recently listening to a live recording of BB King, he introduces his good friend Stevie Ray Vaughan and says he will play in the next song. Well during the song BB starts a solo then you can tell when Stevie joins in he plays a riff and BB matches him. They go back and forth for a few riffs when Stevie explodes into an unexplainable riff. BB did not try to match it and was must likely speechless. He does some little riff then went back to his song. I was speechless when I heard Stevie play it. I always liked Stevie and knew he was great but that explosion blew me away.

Liked his solo on Bowie's lets Dance, very understated but fits well !!

His link with David Bowie can't be underestimated.

When SRV played at the 1982 Montreux Jazz Festival... he was literally booed during his performance ! :o Why, I don't know...but in the crowd were David Bowie and Jackson Browne. Bowie was so impressed by SRV's performance he went up and introduced himself and either he or Jackson Browne gave him studio time in their own studio...and that produced 'Texas Flood'...oh it was J. Browne.....

then Bowie asked SRV to play on his 1983 release "Let's Dance".....he was also asked by Bowie to go on tour as his guitarist but Stevie said no so he could develop with Double Trouble....

He later went on to HEADLINE the Montreux Blues fest a couple years later.....after previously been booed there....:lol:

Just desserts !!!!

I never had any SRV stuff till recently believe it or not...and got his 'essential' two full disc set..both discs are nearly 80 minutes !! So I got a bunch in one fell swoop ! Dig him !!! :D

Very cool SRV is probably my biggest influence on guitar, I don't think anyone was any closer to his instrument than Stevie. The guy would just bow his head and pour it all out for hours on end in a pure stream of consciousness, then snap out of it and say where am I !!!

I put him in my top 3 all time fav guitarists.

RjK

His link with David Bowie can't be underestimated.

When SRV played at the 1982 Montreux Jazz Festival... he was literally booed during his performance ! :o Why, I don't know...but in the crowd were David Bowie and Jackson Browne. Bowie was so impressed by SRV's performance he went up and introduced himself and either he or Jackson Browne gave him studio time in their own studio...and that produced 'Texas Flood'...oh it was J. Browne.....

then Bowie asked SRV to play on his 1983 release "Let's Dance".....he was also asked by Bowie to go on tour as his guitarist but Stevie said no so he could develop with Double Trouble....

He later went on to HEADLINE the Montreux Blues fest a couple years later.....after previously been booed there....:lol:

Just desserts !!!!

I never had any SRV stuff till recently believe it or not...and got his 'essential' two full disc set..both discs are nearly 80 minutes !! So I got a bunch in one fell swoop ! Dig him !!! :D

Hey joel those two Montreux performances are out on DVD and its pretty "funny" to watch Stevie get booed only to return on the next disc with the crowd going crazy for him this time....of course he was a little uh, how shall we say out of it that night - but he still ripped.

Stevie is one of my favorite if not THE favorite electric guitarists of all time. One of the only guitarists who could actually move me to tears. Absolutely incredible and his life story of how he kicked the habits that plagued him early on and tried to help others who were struggling is truly inspiring. Tragedy he died when he did.

If you've never heard it check out "Stevie's AA Speech" at the following link. He tells his story in his own words.

http://www.srvrocks.com/mp3s.htm

• 2 weeks later...

I really love Stevie, especially "Little wing" with it's fantastic video...where one can see guitars, custom shop, Hendrix etc. the clip is amazing, and the last words there "my wife - my guitar - and me..." are cool too :hippy:

Archived