Making a perfect single-albume version of Graffiti

pujols05

Whoa, this one is difficult. Here goes nothing...

Side One:

The Rover

Kashmir

Wanton Song

Sick Again

Side Two:

In The Light

Trampled Underfoot

In My Time of Dying

i'll answer this with an answer to a different question:

what are the top 5 greatest double albums of all time?

5. the wall-pink floyd

4. quadrophenia-the who

3. exile on main street-rolling stones

2. the white album-the beatles

1. PHYSICAL GRAFFITTI-LED ZEPPELIN

How can you make something like PG two sided, there was a reason for it being that long.

C'mon people, it's a fuggin' hypothetical - nobody's goin' back in time and changing anything, jeez!

of course, that being said, I can't do it either, it can't be done.

at best i can maybe hack off a single album side :lolo:

and yes, LZFan, I'm just goofin' - your post was the perfect setup. :P

by the way, is 715 by chance a birthday?

if so, ^5!!!

Physical_Graffiti.jpg

PHYSICAL GRAFFITI (45:59)

Side One (23:22)

The Rover 5:37

Night Flight 3:36

Trampled Underfoot 5:37

Kashmir 8:32

Side Two (22:37)

In The Light 8:46

Bron-Yr-Aur 2:06

Down By The Seaside 5:13

Ten Years Gone 6:32

Sorry, can't do it. The flow of tracks is so deeply ingrained on me that any change would jerk me out of my bliss. "What? No Down By the Seaside after Bron-Yr-Aur??" Nah, wouldn't work for me. I don't have any "throwaway" Zeppelin songs. Everything is where it is for a reason, and while I can't climb into the minds of those who made that magic, I must have it as it was intended. It is done. Jimmy was meticulous about making a Zeppelin album flow as a singular statement. Who am I to mess with that? I'm not on a desert island, so I don't need to comteplate picking and choosing, even as an excercise. In a word (or phrase) Complete Studio Remasters. Yummy! :beer:

Oh and for the benefit of the esteemed GTLO, 180 gram master vinyl pressings! Double yummy! :D

Sorry, can't do it. The flow of tracks is so deeply ingrained on me that any change would jerk me out of my bliss. "What? No Down By the Seaside after Bron-Yr-Aur??" Nah, wouldn't work for me. I don't have any "throwaway" Zeppelin songs. Everything is where it is for a reason, and while I can't climb into the minds of those who made that magic, I must have it as it was intended. It is done. Jimmy was meticulous about making a Zeppelin album flow as a singular statement. Who am I to mess with that? I'm not on a desert island, so I don't need to comteplate picking and choosing, even as an excercise. In a word (or phrase) Complete Studio Remasters. Yummy! :beer:

Oh and for the benefit of the esteemed GTLO, 180 gram master vinyl pressings! Double yummy! :D

I agree with Evster. It's great the way it is.

It has to end with Sick Again!

I've always heard arguments from George Martin that the Beatle's White Album would be better as a one LP album, but there are so many great moments that I love that I would miss, even if they're not the greatest musically.

Same with PG, I wouldn't even want to leave off the talking before Black Country Woman. When the first cd pressing came out and the left off the "cough" part after IMTOD I was mad. I wouldn't even buy it until the remastered version came out.

But if I had to make it fit on an LP or one side of a cassette it would have to have the Wanton Song. And end with Sick Again.

I'd reckon it's easier to make a 'single album' White Album than PG. I tried, and you don't miss the songs I left out.

"Physical Graffiti" is one of those classic/mythical double albums, like "Exile On Main Street", "Electric Ladyland" or "Blonde On Blonde" that equals the sum of their parts.

I think it would be easier to consider PG if it only consisted of the Headley Grange '74 tracks...in other words, if the album looked something like this:

A: Custard Pie/In My Time Of Dying/Trampled Under Foot/Kashmir (I know, 29 minute album side)

B: In The Light/Ten Years Gone/The Wanton Song/Sick Again (25 mins)

Would it still be as good as the double album we all know and love? Personally, out of those tracks "In The Light", great as it is, is probably my least favourite.

I must say, of the 'outtakes' Page added, "The Rover" is the only one I consider decent. "Boogie With Stu" epitomizes "Filler", while "Night Flight" and "Down By The Seaside" are (along with "Thank You") the ONLY Zeppelin songs I honestly cannot stand. The others, I can pretty much take 'em or leave 'em.

So...all told, my single album version would be:

Custard Pie

The Rover

Trampled Under Foot

In My Time Of Dying

Kashmir

Ten Years Gone

The Wanton Song

Sick Again

Yeah...that works.

I can easily throw away some Zeppelin songs from almost each album.

I LOVE the Zeppelin songs, that I Love.

And, for those Zeppelin songs that I have less respect for.....

I have... less respect for.. :D

Would it still be as good as the double album we all know and love? Personally, out of those tracks "In The Light", great as it is, is probably my least favourite.

I must say, of the 'outtakes' Page added, "The Rover" is the only one I consider decent. "Boogie With Stu" epitomizes "Filler", while "Night Flight" and "Down By The Seaside" are (along with "Thank You") the ONLY Zeppelin songs I honestly cannot stand. The others, I can pretty much take 'em or leave 'em.

See, that's why no group can determine unequivocally the value of a song. The songs mentioned above represent to me a quality of Zeppelin that I guess some just don't comprehend. It's like people who dislike The Crunge, D'yer Maker or Darlene. I find those tracks vital. The humorous side of Zeppelin. It can't be serious all the time. One needs a little "nudge nudge" now and then. That's what endears them to me so. A bit of sillyness. Without that, it ain't fucking Zeppelin. Sorry. But that's my feeling on it.

Physical_Graffiti.jpg

PHYSICAL GRAFFITI (50:06)

Side Two (26:44)

The Wanton Song 4:07

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have revised my PG album due to the fact that Zeppelin themselves pressed 26:53 onto one side of an LP when the produced TSRTS Soundtrack. So I take that as the acceptable time limit.

Physical_Graffiti.jpg

PHYSICAL GRAFFITI (50:06)

Side Two (26:44)

The Wanton Song 4:07

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have revised my PG album due to the fact that Zeppelin themselves pressed 26:53 onto one side of an LP when the produced TSRTS Soundtrack. So I take that as the acceptable time limit.

No Sick Again? If any song defined the time...From the window of your ready limousine...

C'mon! That's like taking groupies and the Rainbow out of history! :lol:

I'll look at it this way, the new material recorded for PG was

Custard Pie

In My Time Of Dying

Trampled Underfoot

Kashmir

In the Light

Ten Years Gone

The Wanton Song

Sick Again

those songs clock at 54:53 (sorry if the math is wrong) that means the "leftover" material is about 30 mins of the album

the best way to make it a single album would be to take off Sick Again and In the Light (put the other 6 in whatever order you desire)

THEN

make In Through the Out Door a double album, by adding Sick Again, In the Light and including Darline, Ozone Baby, Bonzo's Montreux and Wearing and Tearing

left overs (The Rover, Houses of the Holy, Bron Yr Aur, Down by the Seaside, Night Flight, Boogie with Stu and Black County Woman) for CODA

--------------------------------------

way too complicated... leave it as is B)

No Sick Again? If any song defined the time...From the window of your ready limousine...

C'mon! That's like taking groupies and the Rainbow out of history! :lol:

"Sick Again" was great live...... but the studio version does not do it for me like the live versions I have heard do.

And please remember.... there is a sore spot from the '77 tour, as a snippet, a tease, of "The Rover", which I consider more definitve of "Led Zeppelin" than "Sick Again", was played before "Sick Again". . .

Side 1 1. Night Flight 2. Sick Again 3. In the Light 4. Black Country Woman

Side 2 1. Trampled Underfoot 2. Custard Pie 3.IMTOD 4.Boogie with Stu

Best I can do and yes I left off Kashmir its Robert's Favorite I know but these are Al's favorites but you cannot really have Graffitti without all the songs.

PG is a classic. Why mess with it in any way. Leave it just the way it is. It's perfect!

can you believe this ;why on earth would anyone want to deprive us of led zeppelin songs just because they "think it should be 1 album all these years latter.yes I agree with superdave .leave it the way it is .can you believe this has gone into 3 pages all ready ?come on PG is a recording off the times.And the cover is a land mark in it self.the building was on a NEW TUBE add with LED ZEPPELIN scenes /memorabilia through out the commercial.

can you believe this ;why on earth would anyone want to deprive us of led zeppelin songs just because they "think it should be 1 album all these years latter.yes I agree with superdave .leave it the way it is .can you believe this has gone into 3 pages all ready ?come on PG is a recording off the times.And the cover is a land mark in it self.the building was on a NEW TUBE add with LED ZEPPELIN scenes /memorabilia through out the commercial.

wow.

did you even bother to read the OP?

it's a mental/emotional exercise, nothing more.

The OP never mentioned nor implied PG was anything less than all the things you said.

The OP never suggested any songs from PG should be removed.

It was a simple challenge.

If you choose not to participate, wonderful. I personally wasn't able to make a choice, either.

But I'm fairly certain any suggestions from this thread won't result in the removal of any PG songs.

All this fretting and hand-wringing over "being deprived of LZ songs" is ridiculous and borderline childish.

Maybe go vote on which pair of Robert's jeans were the sexiest and/or bulgiest.

Most of all, try to remember it's only the interweb. It's not for real.

:lolo:

• 4 weeks later...
I've always heard arguments from George Martin that the Beatle's White Album would be better as a one LP album, but there are so many great moments that I love that I would miss, even if they're not the greatest musically.

I think I agree with Martin tho... too many songs that I'll never understand on that album ... IMO it could have been condensed to one album without losing too much... but I must admit I'm only 23 years old, so I have no personal childhood attachments to that album that might permit me to keep it a double.

Happiness is a warm gun, mama! B)

(super slinky @ Nov 22 2007, 10:46 AM)

I think I agree with Martin tho... too many songs that I'll never understand on that album ... IMO it could have been condensed to one album without losing too much... but I must admit I'm only 23 years old, so I have no personal childhood attachments to that album that might permit me to keep it a double.

Happiness is a warm gun, mama! B)

the white album only one record because george martin sez so? well, they ain't his songs, is they? i quote sir paul mccartney's response to this: "c'mon, george. it's the fucking white album."

Archived