- food prayer, rituals, symbolism around house

[2] a personal epiphany

- had a dream, heard the call, saw the burning bush

- 'it clicked'

[3] need direction or answers to big questions

- was atheist or oblivious, but then...

- 1st religion didn't cut it, went to this one instead

[4] societal/community influence

- everyone else did/does it, went with the flow. no overt pressure.

- churchgoing mostly for social networking

Do any of these apply to you?

Can you add any?

If you were 'in' (even superficially) and got 'out', what were your reasons for both?

I'd be closest to #3 if I became religious.

I'm agnostic/secular humanist/don't really care...but taking babysteps into learning Buddhism. I'd like to improve myself in some areas, and I'm attracted to the philosophical and practical nature of Buddhism rather than what I perceive to be the rigid, rules based Abrahamic religions.

Reality is my God. Truth is the word of God. The voice of God is the voice of Reason.

I am real. You are imperfect reflections of my Ultimate Reality. Please send donations in the form of large numbers of small, unmarked bills. Other donations, such as virgin teenage daughters, are also accepted.

Reality is my God. Truth is the word of God. The voice of God is the voice of Reason.

I am real. You are imperfect reflections of my Ultimate Reality. Please send donations in the form of large numbers of small, unmarked bills. Other donations, such as virgin teenage daughters, are also accepted.

Sorry, The IRS confiscated my virgin teenage daughter. My other children have been sold to various laboratories to pay for my pain killers and antidepressants. Would some canned vegetables and used clothing be an acceptable donation?

Sorry, The IRS confiscated my virgin teenage daughter. My other children have been sold to various laboratories to pay for my pain killers and antidepressants. Would some canned vegetables and used clothing be an acceptable donation?

I'll take the canned goods and the pain killers, thanks!

[1] indoctrinated by family

- mandatory sunday & private school

- food prayer, rituals, symbolism around house

[2] a personal epiphany

- had a dream, heard the call, saw the burning bush

- 'it clicked'

[3] need direction or answers to big questions

- was atheist or oblivious, but then...

- 1st religion didn't cut it, went to this one instead

[4] societal/community influence

- everyone else did/does it, went with the flow. no overt pressure.

- churchgoing mostly for social networking

I don't fit into any of those exactly, but most of them at least a little bit.

I guess I'd have to say #3 with #4 being like #1 (societal/cultural indoctrination rather than 'social networking'). My folks were atheist/agnostic but encouraged/tolerated us looking into things for ourselves, even if they didn't quite understand or agree with where it led.

currently, I'm still a 'work-in-progress'... definitely believe in Something... I tend to be too pagan to be called christian and too christian to be considered pagan... which is a pretty odd spot to be in I guess... and not always a comfortable one. *shrugs*

editred for crappy typing.

My parents are both Catholics, their parents were Catholics, so my sister and I were baptized and confirmed as Catholics. However, as the years have gone on, I've strayed from the religion and find myself on the outskirts for being very progressive and disagreeing with a lot of the church doctrines, while my sister is the exact opposite.

My parents just want my sister and I to be happy and find the way that works best for us. They have no issues in the way we've chosen to identify ourselves, as it is a personal choice and once we were old enough to decide what we felt, we opted to go with it.

Do any of these apply to you?

No, not really. Maybe number two, but that's still not accurate. If I ever experienced any personal epiphany, it came from the inside. And, what's more, I never take anything too seriously, I'm still open to new ideas and opinions. I'm definitely not an atheist, but I'm not even religious...as it is commonly comprehended.

I was baptized as a Catholic but I haven't been to church for years. I don't agree with most of the views of the Catholic church; however, I do believe in God and some Christian teachings like charity for example. But I made all my decisions about religion on my own as we don't talk about religion in my family and I wasn't influenced by friends either. It kinda developed over the years when I grew up, so none of the options above really applies to me.

No 1, I was born into a Hindu family and I practice Hinduism. Although, we have nothing like Mass on sunday or mandatory visit to the temple, it's the follower's choice.

On second thought, No 2 is a little right too. It's not that I've had an epiphany, but the second sub point says "it clicked" which is true in my case. My parents are extreamly religious, but they never forced religion on me or my brother, they just told us what's right and what's wrong. The rest was our decision.

No 1, I was born into a Hindu family and I practice Hinduism. Although, we have nothing like Mass on sunday or mandatory visit to the temple, it's the follower's choice.

On second thought, No 2 is a little right too. It's not that I've had an epiphany, but the second sub point says "it clicked" which is true in my case. My parents are extreamly religious, but they never forced religion on me or my brother, they just told us what's right and what's wrong. The rest was our decision.

Bhagavad Gītā, the Upanishads, The Rig Veda and the Ramayana are some of my favorite books.

#3 with bits of #1.

7th generation Latter-Day Saint (Mormon) here. I like my religion. I'll be sticking with it.

edit...

Oops. Mixed up the number choices. I'd put it in this order: #1 as I grew up, my parents took me to church and activities until I was mature enough and knew enough to learn for myself. After having the epiphany (#2) through the which I know what I'm doing is right and feels right, I trust the guidance I receive from the church and it's leaders/teachings (#3).

#3 with bits of #1.

7th generation Latter-Day Saint (Mormon) here. I like my religion. I'll be sticking with it.

My brother is LDS. Y'all definitely have a lot of hot babes. I'm too much of a free spirit to join any kind of church.

rasied in a quite religion free household.

been atheist from the point I could understand what it was.

a thick wein of atheism grew from my fathers side of the family after a

crazy Pentecostalist bitch got a hold on my great grandfather.

Archived