Soundboards - When will you be satisfied?

Xolo1974

Some people like’em....some people hate’em. Me - I like them, except for ‘77. The Millard recordings are just unbeatable. 

We’re all huge fans/collectors/obsessives. Is there a point at which we’ll feel satisfied with what we have, or will we keep wanting more? I kid myself, and think that I’ll be happy when and if the following come out (in no particular order);

1. Blueberry Hill. 
2. Rest of 29/9/71. 
3. 1970 - New York second show; and:

4. 24/7/79 Copenhagen. 

What are yours? 

Cheers 

'77 La Forum run so some magical remaster/matrix can be produced with Mike Millards legendary tapes - adding some lovely detail to the otherwise stellar AUD recordings.

With tech advancements, LA '77 SB's + Mike the Mike's tapes could be made into an official release that would be insane (and would sound nothing short of official quality).

I guess a complete 929 SB (any Japan 71 SB) to the 50th anniversary this September would make a lot of us very happy. I am quite optimistic about it.

Furthermore, I would welcome any SB from 70 to 71 with a soundquality similar to the 929 SB. (e.g. the horrible sound of the Hampton 71 SB makes me SICK!)

On 5/31/2021 at 8:30 PM, Xolo1974 said:

Some people like’em....some people hate’em. Me - I like them, except for ‘77. The Millard recordings are just unbeatable. 

We’re all huge fans/collectors/obsessives. Is there a point at which we’ll feel satisfied with what we have, or will we keep wanting more? I kid myself, and think that I’ll be happy when and if the following come out (in no particular order);

1. Blueberry Hill. 
2. Rest of 29/9/71. 
3. 1970 - New York second show; and:

4. 24/7/79 Copenhagen. 

What are yours? 

Cheers 

Blueberry Hill wouldn't be near the top of my list, simply because the sound quality we have is pretty great. I would rather get one of the missing shows like Seattle or the Honolulu evening show than Blueberry Hill for sure. The 9/19/70 evening show is probably the best show of their career, so of course it would be extremely high on my list, but I'm not sure how hopeful we should be that many/any 1970 soundboards exist.  

Would love the rest of 9/29 -- and 9/28 -- or anything else from Japan '71...or any of the missing clubs shows...or anything from '71, probably their best year.

Copenhagen '79 would not be high on my list at all -- both audience recordings are pretty darn good and I think both shows are overrated.

As @JohnOsbourne says, 3/12/75 Long Beach is high on my list, as are the remaining missing '75 shows -- particularly 1/11 Rotterdam. A Providence (or Baltimore) '73 SBD would be high on my list as well, as would 6/22/77 or 6/26/77.

Excluding shows with no recording as of yet, which are obviously desirable no matter what year they're from IMO, I think the ultimate soundboard holy grail is 6/19/72 Seattle. To me, it has the largest disparity between sound and performance quality -- it's arguably second only to 9/19/70 E as far as their greatest shows, and its sound quality is pretty poor. You can get through it with seasoned bootleg ears for sure, but it's the show in most dire need of an upgrade IMO, not to mention the cuts -- particularly during the longest string of encores they ever did.

As far as your original question though, with the number of "holy grails" still out there and the speed at which they seem to be released, I doubt we will ever be satisfied.

Edited by Bonzo_fan

34 minutes ago, Bonzo_fan said:

Blueberry Hill wouldn't be near the top of my list, simply because the sound quality we have is pretty great. I would rather get one of the missing shows like Seattle or the Honolulu evening show than Blueberry Hill for sure. The 9/19/70 evening show is probably the best show of their career, so of course it would be extremely high on my list, but I'm not sure how hopeful we should be that many/any 1970 soundboards exist.  

Would love the rest of 9/29 -- and 9/28 -- or anything else from Japan '71...or any of the missing clubs shows...or anything from '71, probably their best year.

Copenhagen '79 would not be high on my list at all -- both audience recordings are pretty darn good and I think both shows are overrated.

As @JohnOsbourne says, 3/12/75 Long Beach is high on my list, as are the remaining missing '75 shows -- particularly 1/11 Rotterdam. A Providence (or Baltimore) '73 SBD would be high on my list as well, as would 6/22/77 or 6/26/77.

Excluding shows with no recording as of yet, which are obviously desirable no matter what year they're from IMO, I think the ultimate soundboard holy grail is 6/19/72 Seattle. To me, it has the largest disparity between sound and performance quality -- it's arguably second only to 9/19/70 E as far as their greatest shows, and its sound quality is pretty poor. You can get through it with seasoned bootleg ears for sure, but it's the show in most dire need of an upgrade IMO, not to mention the cuts -- particularly during the longest string of encores they ever did.

As far as your original question though, with the number of "holy grails" still out there and the speed at which they seem to be released, I doubt we will ever be satisfied.

Good point, I'd forgotten about Baltimore '73, a board of that show would be amazing (or even a better audience tape).

I will be satisfied when the master recordings of every single soundboard ever recorded with Jimmy Page playing guitar in a public setting has been uploaded to a free public database website in 192kHz/32 bit quality with lower quality options available as well.

I'd be satisfied with an all stereo 75 board, stereo on part of Page's bow solo and Bonzo  partially on Moby Dick is not sufficient for me. Mixing the 99% mono  MSG 75 to 5.1 was laughable.

5 hours ago, NegativeCrepe said:

I will be satisfied when the master recordings of every single soundboard ever recorded with Jimmy Page playing guitar in a public setting has been uploaded to a free public database website in 192kHz/32 bit quality with lower quality options available as well.

As the starting point. Freely available with any "taxation" applied to bootleg productions going DIRECTLY to the estate.

Win, win, win, WIN.

8 hours ago, NegativeCrepe said:

Good evening, 🌛  
I’m a Detroit native and love hometown shows. Pics, Soundboards and tickets are what I desire. Some shows on top of my list.  

1)  01/31/1975 Olympia Stadium. Lots of awesome pics from that show are online. And a terrible audience recording. 

2)  07/13/1962 Cobo Hall. That was my 11th birthday and a little soundboard is out, but, I’d like to see the entire show. 

3).  04/30/1977 Pontiac Silverdome. My sister Sue got to got I did not. That’s when I was already a full blow Zeppelin Freak. This show was professionally recorded both video AND sound. There’s a couple pics out there where you can see a guy with an ENORMOUS video camera onstage recording Jimmy jamming. And the reports are that this show (which Jimmy talks about often) was Zeppelin at its peak on that tour. Jimmy talks about the world record of largest attendance to see just 1 band in an indoor stadium. He’s damn proud of that. JIMMY, PLEASE PUT THIS OUT ON BLUE-RAY. 

4)   And all other stops in Detroit that were soundboard recorded. Grande Ballroom, etc. 

8 minutes ago, rschultz018 said:

1)  01/31/1975 Olympia Stadium. Lots of awesome pics from that show are online. And a terrible audience recording. 

I understand these things are subjective, but the tape for this show is generally regarded as a very good audience recording (I certainly think so).  It is a good show, probably the best of the January shows.  The band definitely liked playing in Detroit (e.g. the two '73 shows).

• 2 months later...
On 6/4/2021 at 6:52 AM, rschultz018 said:

3).  04/30/1977 Pontiac Silverdome. My sister Sue got to got I did not. That’s when I was already a full blow Zeppelin Freak. This show was professionally recorded both video AND sound. There’s a couple pics out there where you can see a guy with an ENORMOUS video camera onstage recording Jimmy jamming. And the reports are that this show (which Jimmy talks about often) was Zeppelin at its peak on that tour. Jimmy talks about the world record of largest attendance to see just 1 band in an indoor stadium. He’s damn proud of that. JIMMY, PLEASE PUT THIS OUT ON BLUE-RAY. 

I believe the video camera that guy is holding was for the feed to the massive video screen behand the band and was not  actually recording however I could be wrong. I am fairly positive though that the show does have a sound board recording and was possibly even multi-tracked. If so this show should be released. It was a really good show.

I would love a soundboard of Copenhagen 71' & Copenhagen 7-24-79 as well. They always played well in Copenhagen, must have been all the sex shows???

Honestly I am really holding out for the rest of Osaka 9/29/71. That to me will pretty much be the definite live Zeppelin show for me, well from the era lol. A soundboard from 1972 would be great, but pretty sure Jimmy keeps those tapes under his bed where they are "safe". Seattle 6/19/72...

I am getting my hopes up for this new source for Sydney, Australia, 27th show. anyone heard if this source is an improvement over the previous? Great heavy show . . .  I'd  take that as a good step towards being satisfied, but would to be long-term- temporarily  satisfied if both nights of LA Forum 1971 would be discovered.

• 1 month later...
On 8/14/2021 at 10:23 PM, chef free said:

Bath...

Bath would be mind-blowing. Would also like to second Copenhagen 71 and Baltimore 73. And since I'm making a Christmas wish list, may as well throw in Belfast 71, 8-21-71. 11-25-71, Bradford 73 (those partial ones are not enough lol) and 2-7-75 (Artie-free!!) 😀 

With Steve, Night Owl and Graf Zeppelin putting out some great remix/remasters I find that I'm not as hungry for soundboards as I was. And with dadgad, JEMS and Winston's ongoing remasters it's nearly all good. Yes, Bath is a must but as Steve said a while back, it's just not possible with what's available. From all that I've heard about that Bath gig, it would be something magical if Jimmy had the master tapes and decided to release them. 

22 hours ago, 1975NQ said:

Bath would be mind-blowing. Would also like to second Copenhagen 71 and Baltimore 73. And since I'm making a Christmas wish list, may as well throw in Belfast 71, 8-21-71. 11-25-71, Bradford 73 (those partial ones are not enough lol) and 2-7-75 (Artie-free!!) 😀 

Fully agree about Bradford and esp. Baltimore.  But no way about Artie and the boys, those guys are great!  (2-7-75 is not particularly noteworthy IMO, nowhere near as good as Montreal or Philly or the Long Island shows.)

You are a kinder, more patient soul than myself, haha. Maybe if I wasn't listening so intensely and just had it on for chill background music that would turn my opinion around. That's interesting you'd say that about 2/7. In fairness, I'm new to that show and have not listened to it all the way through except for 6 songs. Mainly NQ while I was ranking (about a dozen listens), the 3 opening songs, STH and some of Dazed. But what I've heard, I've really liked! NQ in particular.  As far as the other shows being stronger,  I'll take your word on it. This weekend when I'm doing my treadmill stuff (where the majority of my listening happens lol), I'll try and give the whole show a good listen. But if he gets too chatty, I'm out 😛

Been listening to 2/7 while getting some work done, and I think I see your point. Plant sounds atrocious for the first half and "ok" at best for the rest. I do like how he sounds on NQ and Dazed tho. Page is killing it but not quite as fluid as the next night in Philly. But he still sounds amazing to my ears. I think this is easily one of his best nights in 75. In terms of comparing to Long Beach or Montreal, I would have to listen more. I have a feeling it would change song to song, as is typical for 75 (for me). Meaning I'd like some songs better than others from various shows.

I def love this NQ, that's for sure. Not as much as the one from Montreal, but close. And 2/7 def has one of the best OTHAFA solos I've heard from 75.