Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

From the Earl Warren Showgrounds in 68 to Sotheby's in 08

The Independent

Thursday, Feb 7th, 2008

The focus of media interest has been on magnificent pieces from musicians Gary Kemp and Jimmy Page; the latter is contributing five Burne-Jones stained-glass windows and a spectacular tapestry which, on it's own, is expected to fetch £1m, while Kemp's collection offers up Arts & Crafts pieces by architect and designer Edward William Godwin, who created houses for Oscar Wilde and James Whistler.

Reeves is rightly described as "one of the few dealers to add rock-star glamour", a fact known to afficionados of THE LOOK since he was at the centre of the 60s and 70s explosion of rock and fashion with his labels Sam Pig In Love, Alkasura Wholesale and The Universal Witness, whose customers ranged from The Beatles and The Stones to David Bowie and, of course, Led Zeppelin.

After leaving school in the mid 60s, the ultra-fashionable Reeves had been a dancer on Ready Steady Go! with his sister, and gone into business making shirts which were sold in Carnaby Street and the King's Road.

These raised enough money to fund a trip around the States, where he met Page for the first time when The Yardbirds played the Earl Warren Showgrounds in Santa Barbara on May 10 1968 on a bill which also featured Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich and the long-forgotten Turquoise, as noted in this splendid - and now ultra-rare - poster by artist Frank Bettencourt.

"After The Yardbirds' set I decided to go backstage and introduce myself, as Englishmen did in those days in California because we were a relative rarity," says Reeves. "We got on like a house on fire and I travelled with Jimmy and the band for the rest of the tour, even sleeping on his hotel room floor in New York."

The pair discovered a mutual delight in fashion and design, discovering they had both been customers of John Stephen's first shop in Carnaby Street, and were keen on places such as Emmerton & Lambert, Granny Takes A Trip and Hung On You.

Pretty soon they were embarking on collecting expeditions together which moved beyond clothes into their shared delight in the Pre-Raphealites, the Gothic Revival and Arts & Crafts. Simultaneously, as The Yardbirds faltered - the US tour had only been undertaken as a contractual necessity - Page began to put in place the line-up for Led Zeppelin which came together in September that same year.

1966_05_10YardbirdsPoster.jpg

Original Poster:

The Yardbirds Earl Warren Showgrounds Santa Barbara, CA May 10 1968

Edited by SteveAJones

1960sZacronPage.jpg

Zacron & Jimmy Page

www.zacron.com

Zacron Information

Zacron is a multi-media artist, poet, writer and broadcaster; founder member of the Psychedelic Surrealist Movement in the Sixties and founder of 'The New Visionaries School' 1978.

The artist, who was born in Sutton, Surrey in 1943, studied at Studio 35 in Surbiton from 1957-1960 with Eric Clapton and members of the Yardbirds at Kingston College of Art. Zacron studied painting, drawing, design and etching; during this period he met Jimmy Page who later purchased important works. At the Royal Academy Schools between 1964 and 1967 He innovated graphic techniques that laid the foundation for the Led Zeppelin III Rock album cover in 1970.

Work locations included West End theatres, rock concerts, fairgrounds and ice rinks. Commissions included portraits, topographic studies of architecture and murals. Zacron lectured at a leading college of art from 1967-1970. Head-hunted by Led Zeppelin in 1970, he produced an innovatory cover for the group, polled amongst the world's top four in 2005. Extensive fine art, graphics, photography, and copy-writing was carried out during this period for the music industry. The Media Centre was founded in 1979 to advise artists and art material manufacturers.

Illustrated art journalism for Graphic's World, Graphics, Creative Review and Artist's and Illustrator's Magazine transformed the studio into an art-media laboritory.

The word 'Zacronize' is used in publications to describe a process of total exploration. The artist toured art colleges throughout the country, depicting art as human ecology. Elaborate multi-projection techniques, audio innovations accompanied live performance.

Today, Zacron is widely regarded an ambassador for the arts, campaining for freedom in art education, supporting vital international charities and broadcasting with the BBC. In recent years extensive photography and drawing in Rome, Venice, Sardinia, Paris, London and Prague has enriched an archive, forming a basis for digital printmaking.

Today, Lantern Studios houses, studios, workshops, gallery, an arts library, collection of art from around the world, an image and object d'art archive. Lantern Studios is involved with state-of-the-art print-making workshops that work for the Royal Collection, making print

editions for artists that set the highest standards in the country for Archival Printmaking.

1970LedZeppelinIII.jpg

Led Zeppelin III cover art by Zacron

Memories in Music - A Tribute to Led Zeppelin at Knebworth House.

Led Zeppelin played their last outside UK date at Knebworth Park on

August 11 1972. To celebrate this event, and the 40th anniversary

of the formation of the band, Knebworth is holding a Led Zeppelin

Memorabilia Exhibition from August 1st until September 3rd 2008.

The exhibition was the inspiration of Annie Hollinshead, a lifelong

supporter of the group, and is in support of the ABC Trust for the children

of Brazil, of which Jimmy Page is the patron.

Zacron, who has contributed Archival Edition Prints remastered from his

artwork for the group, was invited to adress a select invited assembly of

serious enthusiasts and collectors of memorabilia.

The artist was met by press cameras following a dramatic arrival, he was

welcomed by Annie Hollinshead and was presented with a book,

'Knebworth, 30 Years of the greatest rock venue in the world' by

Martha Lytton Cobbold, the current resident of the great house and the

host of the exhibition.

Zacron, who was interviewed for national radio, was also presented with

a specially printed brochure produced by by Annie Hollinshead, impresario

and curator, the brochure is an exclusive highly collectable edition.

The address included the artist's time with the group in 1970, the stories behind

the art and comments about the way technology has expanded techniques

available to artists. Zacron also rose to the challenge by speaking of intractible

British attitudes the need for creative people not to be type-cast and restricted

by prejudice. He announced that he was a fellow supporter and enthusiast

of Led Zeppelins music. He was met with great enthusiasm and cheering from

all those present.

2008_07_zacron_adresses_zeppelin_.jpg

Zacron speaking at Memories in Music - A Tribute to Led Zeppelin at Knebworth House

Hi Steve~~

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post. These are not really mysteries but a couple of questions I've had for some time which I'm sure you or one of the good folks here can answer.

1) Do you know if Jimmy or John Paul can play any of the Chinese string instruments, such as the erhu, pipa or guqin? traditional Chinese string instruments

2) Have any of the guys had formal training, music/voice lessons, either pre- or post- Zep? I imagine this has been discussed here before.

Nice thread BTW. Or in the case of the Paul Reeves shirt post above, I should say Nice threads. ;)

Hi Steve~~

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post. These are not really mysteries but a couple of questions I've had for some time which I'm sure you or one of the good folks here can answer.

1) Do you know if Jimmy or John Paul can play any of the Chinese string instruments, such as the erhu, pipa or guqin? traditional Chinese string instruments

2) Have any of the guys had formal training, music/voice lessons, either pre- or post- Zep? I imagine this has been discussed here before.

Nice thread BTW. Or in the case of the Paul Reeves shirt post above, I should say Nice threads. ;)

Quick answers:

So far as I know neither of them have ever played Chinese string instruments.

John Paul's Grandmother sang in music halls, and he accompanied his parents on tours of England. Undoubtedly, coming from a musical family led to formal lessons.

While promoting his Thunderthief album (2000) he commented that he began his own career as an organist and in the choir of a local church. In 2006 he attended

Sore Fingers, a bluegrass camp in the UK as a mandolin student…John Moore was

teacher…Rayna (Uncle Earl) was there and taught old-time fiddle…many jams held!

Jimmy was shown a few guitar chords by a neighborhood lad (the name escapes me

at the moment). Some time later, when Jimmy acquired a sitar, he asked his father to invite one of the Indian chaps he worked with over to show him basic chords. Around the same time Jimmy attended a Ravi Shankar concert with a girl who was a friend of Ravi. They met afterward and Ravi wrote down sitar chords for Jimmy. Allegedly, Jimmy

sang in the choir at St. Barnabus Church in Epsom, but I'm still seeking confirmation of

that. If true, it was probably for just a very short while.

1966JimmyPageShirtDesignedbyPaulRee.jpg

Jimmy Page's Shirt Designed by Paul Reeves (1966)

Archive Image Courtesy of Jimmy Page

Paul met Jimmy when the latter was in the Yardbirds in 1966, and soon the greatest guitarist of his generation was wearing shirts and jackets produced by Paul and partner Pete Sutch under their imprint Sam Pig In Love.

The label was also a favourite of Jimi Hendrix, whose Sam Pig shirt was auctioned for thousands by Christie’s a couple of years back.

“They were pretty individual because I was using odd fabrics,” says Reeves. “Sometimes there’d be very short runs or even just one shirt, which maybe Jimmy would have.”Reeves’ business in particular and 60s fashion in general was changed forever in 1967 when he created six Sam Pig In Love kaftans made from Indian bedspreads purchased at long–gone Kensington department store Pettit’s.

“They were full-length, with Nehru collars and half-belts at the back,” says Reeves.“I took them to Emmerton & Lambert in Chelsea Antiques Market and all six were snapped up within half an hour; Mick Jagger and George Harrison bought one each. I decided to shorten them and went on to sell thousands when everyone else got into them.”

Reeves launched new company Alkasura Wholesale in 1968, and Page remained a loyal customer; the pair sparked off each other sartorially. Both, for example, commissioned buckled snakeskin boots from the legendary 60s shoemaker Costas of Tooting, inspired by the attire of a romantic figure in early 20th century illustrator Kay Nielson’s book East Of the Sun West Of The Moon. Page’s are now part of the V&A collection.

In March 2008 Reeves was curator for The Best Of British, a major exhibition and auction of 19th and 20th century design in conjunction with Sotheby’s. Notable contributions included furniture from another of Paul’s close friends, musician, actor, Spandau Ballet founder and avid collector Gary Kemp.

Page, meanwhile, contributed the magnificent Burne-Jones tapestry The Quest of the Holy Grail: The Achievement, testament if need be to one of the most enduring friendships in pop and rock fashion.

Thank you for the reply Steve.

Quick answers:

So far as I know neither of them have ever played Chinese string instruments.

John Paul's Grandmother sang in music halls, and he accompanied his parents on tours of England. Undoubtedly, coming from a musical family led to formal lessons.

While promoting his Thunderthief album (2000) he commented that he began his own career as an organist and in the choir of a local church. In 2006 he attended

Sore Fingers, a bluegrass camp in the UK as a mandolin student…John Moore was

teacher…Rayna (Uncle Earl) was there and taught old-time fiddle…many jams held!

Jimmy was shown a few guitar chords by a neighborhood lad (the name escapes me

at the moment). Some time later, when Jimmy acquired a sitar, he asked his father to invite one of the Indian chaps he worked with over to show him basic chords. Around the same time Jimmy attended a Ravi Shankar concert with a girl who was a friend of Ravi. They met afterward and Ravi wrote down sitar chords for Jimmy. Allegedly, Jimmy

sang in the choir at St. Barnabus Church in Epsom, but I'm still seeking confirmation of

that. If true, it was probably for just a very short while.

Much thanks Steve.

Here's one I was curious about. I remember reading somewhere that a young man died in Jimmy's house when he wasn't there I believe in the late 70's. Who was he and what were the details?

Sadly, it is true Philip Churchill Hale, a 23-year-old photographer and designer friend of Jimmy's, was found dead at Plumpton Place on October 15 1979. Jimmy testified at the

inquest and foul play was ruled out. I believe the coroner's report cited drug overdose as the cause of death.

Sadly, it is true Philip Churchill Hale, a 23-year-old photographer and designer friend of Jimmy's, was found dead at Plumpton Place on October 15 1979. Jimmy testified at the

inquest and foul play was ruled out. I believe the coroner's report cited drug overdose as the cause of death.

sad thing that happened :( but atleast jimmy wasnt blamed

^ Not immediately, no, but it was always thrown into the mix of the later "Curse of Zeppelin" "Jimmy Page sold his soul to the devil" "Jimmy did rituals over dead bodies" press that was so sickening for a while.

It sure was sickening. Even worse, some people actually believed it, and some just ran with it

1960sZacronPage.jpg

Zacron & Jimmy Page

1970LedZeppelinIII.jpg

Led Zeppelin III cover art by Zacron

26x26" litho #333 of 500 signed by Zacron hanging on Evster's wall. :D

ForEbay006.jpg

Sorry i couldn't get it Knebworth for the exhibit. The shipping was ridiculous. :(

Edited by Evster2012

I remember reading that when he got back to his dressing room, it was a mess. Someone had gone through all his stuff. They were probably looking for memorabilia or drugs. How lame.

Oh, I see. Petty theft, perhaps. I've not even heard it mentioned before. Certainly, all of his stage equipment was accounted for when he returned home from that tour.

QUOTE (Knebby @ Aug 24 2008, 01:46 AM)

^ Not immediately, no, but it was always thrown into the mix of the later "Curse of Zeppelin" "Jimmy Page sold his soul to the devil" "Jimmy did rituals over dead bodies" press that was so sickening for a while.

It sure was sickening. Even worse, some people actually believed it, and some just ran with it

However, I heard that Jimmy himself was aiming at some kind of effect(of devil worship).

It was said that he only used the image of it.

I think that he was taking pains with making of his own image very much.

I have dropped interest completely the relation between Jimmy and devil since I have heard it.

However, I heard that Jimmy himself was aiming at some kind of effect(of devil worship).

It was said that he only used the image of it. I think that he was taking pains with making of his own image very much. I have dropped interest completely the relation between Jimmy and devil since I have heard it.

Your post is difficult to understand...Jimmy is a Thelemite and as such would have no inclination to worship the "devil".

If I cannot obtain one for myself I do hope a visit to yours can be arranged sometime.

:D

Sorry mate, just sold it to a hardcore Zep friend. Angi and I are making a major move in a few weeks and doing some reluctant purging. We just won't have the space. But hey, there's 499 others out there! :D

Your post is difficult to understand...Jimmy is a Thelemite and as such would have no inclination to worship the "devil".

Yeah, the fan mags really screwed that distinction up with "The Curse" back in the day.

Edited by Evster2012

Sorry mate, just sold it to a hardcore Zep friend. Angi and I are making a major move in a few weeks and doing some reluctant purging. We just won't have the space. But hey, there's 499 others out there! :D

Blasphemy! You call yourself a fan? It's bad enough Jimmy used the same excuse when he tried to sell that tapestry. Seriously, peace and prosperity to you both as you move

ever onward.

Good you are getting out of there BUT... it's number 333! What would Jimmy say?!?