Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

And interestingly, Jimmy had failed to turn up at a previous tribute to Ahmet - not a show, a dinner-do- a couple of years previously, also citing his health as the reason.

Oh yes, I forgot about that one. Ahmet Ertegun's British Music Industry Trust Award presentation dinner at The Grosvenor House Hotel in London on 10/17/00. Back pain

was cited as the reason Jimmy was unable to attend.

He was undergoing therapy for that injury at the time. This same injury had of course led to cancellation of the remaining dates of the tour with The Black Crowes a couple months prior.

Edit: I believe the last time Jimmy saw Ahmet was at the Warner Music Group's Grammy Awards after-show party held at the Biltmore Hotel in Los Angeles (2/12/05) where

they coversed at length. Jimmy, JPJ, Jason & Zoe Bonham had been presented a Lifetime Achievement Award during Special Merit Awards Ceremony earlier that day.

If anyone should happen to know differently, please post.

Edited by SteveAJones

The knee surgery must have been performed shortly after their appearance in Stockholm on 5/22/06. I believe the excuse for Jimmy not appearing was something to the effect of "recuperation from knee surgery slower than anticipated". Sounds plausible, though it may have been a convienent excuse if the whispers of tensions between them in Stockholm were based in truth.

Regardless, I don't think Claude Nobs would ever willfully mislead festival goers. He may have found himself in the middle of a situation beyond his control and simply held off until the last possible moment to allow for a change of heart or status. Important to

note once again Jimmy also cancelled his appearance with Roy Harper that August.

I don't regret at all having attended the Ahmet Ertegun Tribute in Montreux, I just felt he deserved full respect and support from all the artists who had committed to perform.

You probably hit the nail on the head, right there. I'd hope Page paid his respects to Ahmet personally, as well.

Surgery in May leading to cancellation for a July or even an August gig just doesn't sound like bullshit to me. I had elbow surgery last year, and much to my boss's annoyance, was out of work for three months, and on half time for three months after that. Believe me, this did not mean I was sitting in a rocking chair doing nothing for three months! There were just certain things I couldn't do, and other things it would've been unnecessarily risky to do. No point going under the knife if you proceed to fuck it up two months later, especially if you're not exactly a youngster. It's normal for it to take a good year for soft tissues to repair themselves.

Whether there was more to it is beside the point, far as I'm concered. If anyone on earth has a right to skip what he doesn't feel like doing, it's Jimmy Page.

If anyone on earth has a right to skip what he doesn't feel like doing, it's Jimmy Page.

Some of my very good friends spent (lots of) very real money to travel there to see Jimmy specifically. You don't break that kind of promise cause you "don't feel like it". Yeah, it's Jimmy Page. And guess who my friends spent thousands to go see? Hell, the plane fare was ten times the ticket price. I'm just sayin. It doesn't matter who you are. If you're legitamately unable to perform, that's one thing. But these posts reek of ambiguity about it. Was he unfit to perform or not?

I don't care if it's Jimi Hendrix! A commitmant is a commitmant! Especially when people have wrapped their whole year, holiday and savings into seeing you.

I just don't agree with "If anyone on earth has a right to skip what he doesn't feel like doing, it's Jimmy Page."

I'm sure if you'd spent five grand on tickets to the show, airfare, hotels, etc, just to see Jimmy, and he "didn't feel like it", you'd have a different point of view.

Some of my very good friends spent (lots of) very real money to travel there to see Jimmy specifically. You don't break that kind of promise cause you "don't feel like it". Yeah, it's Jimmy Page. And guess who my friends spent thousands to go see? Hell, the plane fare was ten times the ticket price. I'm just sayin. It doesn't matter who you are. If you're legitamately unable to perform, that's one thing. But these posts reek of ambiguity about it. Was he unfit to perform or not?

I don't care if it's Jimi Hendrix! A commitmant is a commitmant! Especially when people have wrapped their whole year, holiday and savings into seeing you.

I just don't agree with "If anyone on earth has a right to skip what he doesn't feel like doing, it's Jimmy Page."

I'm sure if you'd spent five grand on tickets to the show, airfare, hotels, etc, just to see Jimmy, and he "didn't feel like it", you'd have a different point of view.

I was all set to book my trip but had already booked a Strange Sensation show in Cork Ireland a few days later. I heard Jimmy wasnt attending and so in the end it paid off for me as the Cork show was a good one. I really wanted to go to Montreux because of Jimmy going as I was seeing Robert at various times anyway.

I was all set to book my trip but had already booked a Strange Sensation show in Cork Ireland a few days later. I heard Jimmy wasnt attending and so in the end it paid off for me as the Cork show was a good one. I really wanted to go to Montreux because of Jimmy going as I was seeing Robert at various times anyway.

You mean "Out of Sight" Robert Plant, Birmingham Blues King?? :o

I had the same experience (seeing Robert in NY a few days before or after Cork), and was incredibly glad in the end I didn't spend all that money on going to Montreux, to see a reunion that never happened--much as I would have loved to have seen that show, which was by all accounts fantastic anyway.

i always thought that zep renamed to nobs because it meant well a mans....you get the picture

There's no consensus, really, on what the intent/meaning was, or if they were ever really called that for the one show in Denmark (2/28/70). I can see where it may have been thinly-veiled vulgarity, and I can see where it was a tribute to Claude Nobs, whom

they became closer too as the 70s rolled on. All I can say for certain is next concert after that one was in Montreux (3/7/70), which was promoted by Claude Nobs.

I noticed that the booking list claims that the Band Of Joy are signed to EMI, but obviously that wasn't the case. Wishful thinking, perhaps?

It is rather like an inflated resume. I also question the claim of them having been booked

to perform a residency at the Marquee in London. It's possible, but so far as I know not

substantiated by anything.

SteveAJones, forgive if you've said it before, but where the hell do you find all this stuff?

and here's a question that seems to be on-topic:

Has Jimmy Page ever been quoted or asked about his flamboyant (amazing) wardrobe? I'm curious to know more about that. Few, if any, other artists can look that part he did.

It is rather like an inflated resume. I also question the claim of them having been booked

to perform a residency at the Marquee in London. It's possible, but so far as I know not

substantiated by anything.

They did play at the Marquee as "Robert Plant and the Band of Joy" although a residency is somewhat stretching it. They played on February 8th and later on the 23rd, 1968 with Tim Rose as the headline and Aynsley Dunbar's Retaliation second on the bill. Also there were appearances both billed and unbilled (as "guests") at The Speakeasy and of course Middle Earth, which they played there a number of times.

12feb68.jpg

24feb68.jpg

Meg

SteveAJones, forgive if you've said it before, but where the hell do you find all this stuff?

and here's a question that seems to be on-topic:

Has Jimmy Page ever been quoted or asked about his flamboyant (amazing) wardrobe? I'm curious to know more about that. Few, if any, other artists can look that part he did.

Well, I'm an avid collector and I've been at it for many, many years. Still, it's always a thrill to discover or obtain something new. Also, I do trade with others quite often.

So, Jimmy's wardrobe. His on-stage attire, offstage or the lot? As far as off-stage,

he has said he felt he looked like "quite a dandy". Some of his clothing (the tartan

trousers, the tiny Zoso sweater) look real eccentric 30 years on! There was a girl

named Coco who designed his dragon suits. I believe she lived in the LA area. She

was a legitimate seamstress, not a groupie. He still has those suits, although they

have been lent to exhibitions from time to time.

Well, I'm an avid collector and I've been at it for many, many years. Still, it's always a thrill to discover or obtain something new. Also, I do trade with others quite often.

So, Jimmy's wardrobe. His on-stage attire, offstage or the lot? As far as off-stage,

he has said he felt he looked like "quite a dandy". Some of his clothing (the tartan

trousers, the tiny Zoso sweater) look real eccentric 30 years on! There was a girl

named Coco who designed his dragon suits. I believe she lived in the LA area. She

was a legitimate seamstress, not a groupie. He still has those suits, although they

Steve, have you heard the lyrics to Elton John's song "Tiny Dancer"?

"Blue jean baby, L.A. lady, seamstress for the band"

There was a television special about a decade ago on Elton John and he talked about how he went to LA to get both himself and his band decked out in costumes for their US tour. It's quite possible Elton was referring to Coco.

Meg

Steve, have you heard the lyrics to Elton John's song "Tiny Dancer"?

"Blue jean baby, L.A. lady, seamstress for the band"

There was a television special about a decade ago on Elton John and he talked about how he went to LA to get both himself and his band decked out in costumes for their US tour. It's quite possible Elton was referring to Coco.

Meg

Hello Meg,

Very familiar with that classic song and the lyrics. Had not considered the possibility he

was referring to Coco until now. So the hunt is on to see if there is a connection. I'm willing to bet either Elton or Bernie Taupin have discussed in old interviews who, if anyone in particular, inspired those lyrics. Let's see what can be found.

Hello Meg,

Very familiar with that classic song and the lyrics. Had not considered the possibility he

was referring to Coco until now. So the hunt is on to see if there is a connection. I'm willing to bet either Elton or Bernie Taupin have discussed in old interviews who, if anyone in particular, inspired those lyrics. Let's see what can be found.

"I was trying to capture the spirit of the time, encapsulated by the woman we met-especially at clothes stores up and down the strip in L.A. They were free spirits, sexy in hip huggers and lacy blouses, and very ethereal, the way they moved. So different from what I'd been used to in England. And they all wanted to sew patches on your jeans." - Bernie Taupin, on "Tiny Dancer" 1972 Creem interview.

I've seen on some webpages that the song is explained as referring to Maxine Feibelmann, Bernie Taupin's girlfriend, however Taupin in a later interview denies that he was referring to Maxine.

I'd say it's very much open to debate at this stage. I would have to dig deeper to find out more about Coco though.

Meg

"I was trying to capture the spirit of the time, encapsulated by the woman we met-especially at clothes stores up and down the strip in L.A. They were free spirits, sexy in hip huggers and lacy blouses, and very ethereal, the way they moved. So different from what I'd been used to in England. And they all wanted to sew patches on your jeans." - Bernie Taupin, on "Tiny Dancer" 1972 Creem interview.

I've seen on some webpages that the song is explained as referring to Maxine Feibelmann, Bernie Taupin's girlfriend, however Taupin in a later interview denies that he was referring to Maxine.

I'd say it's very much open to debate at this stage. I would have to dig deeper to find out more about Coco though.

Meg

Good Lord, how were you able to track that down so quickly? Do you have every single rock and roll interview from the past 50 years memorized or something??

Good Lord, how were you able to track that down so quickly? Do you have every single rock and roll interview from the past 50 years memorized or something??

It's a simple matter of deduction.. "Tiny Dancer" was released in early 1972. I know Elton John and Bernie Taupin were previously interviewed in Circus and Creem magazines (Taupin didn't grant many interviews), so it was just a matter of starting from 1972 onwards and expanding from there. I try to keep an index handy of articles I have so it wasn't too difficult. The same with Classic Rock magazine - they've never published an index so I created my own on my computer for easy searching.

Meg

Edited by Meg Ireland

Hope he finally laundered them! :lol:

Backstage witnesses have attested they were FILTHY!

Funny quote from Jimmy (maybe around the time of HTWWW) when the interviewer asked him if he could still wear the suits and Jimmy said something along the lines of he couldn't even "get a leg in them" now.

:D

I will be wrong, but Paul Reeves designed one of those suits?

I will be wrong, but Paul Reeves designed one of those suits?

1966JimmyPageShirtDesignedbyPaulRee.jpg

Jimmy Page's Shirt Designed by Paul Reeves (1966)

Archive Image Courtesy of Jimmy Page

Paul met Jimmy when the latter was in the Yardbirds in 1966, and soon the greatest guitarist of his generation was wearing shirts and jackets produced by Paul and partner Pete Sutch under their imprint Sam Pig In Love.

The label was also a favourite of Jimi Hendrix, whose Sam Pig shirt was auctioned for thousands by Christie’s a couple of years back.

“They were pretty individual because I was using odd fabrics,” says Reeves. “Sometimes there’d be very short runs or even just one shirt, which maybe Jimmy would have.”Reeves’ business in particular and 60s fashion in general was changed forever in 1967 when he created six Sam Pig In Love kaftans made from Indian bedspreads purchased at long–gone Kensington department store Pettit’s.

“They were full-length, with Nehru collars and half-belts at the back,” says Reeves.“I took them to Emmerton & Lambert in Chelsea Antiques Market and all six were snapped up within half an hour; Mick Jagger and George Harrison bought one each. I decided to shorten them and went on to sell thousands when everyone else got into them.”

Reeves launched new company Alkasura Wholesale in 1968, and Page remained a loyal customer; the pair sparked off each other sartorially. Both, for example, commissioned buckled snakeskin boots from the legendary 60s shoemaker Costas of Tooting, inspired by the attire of a romantic figure in early 20th century illustrator Kay Nielson’s book East Of the Sun West Of The Moon. Page’s are now part of the V&A collection.

In March 2008 Reeves was curator for The Best Of British, a major exhibition and auction of 19th and 20th century design in conjunction with Sotheby’s. Notable contributions included furniture from another of Paul’s close friends, musician, actor, Spandau Ballet founder and avid collector Gary Kemp.

Page, meanwhile, contributed the magnificent Burne-Jones tapestry The Quest of the Holy Grail: The Achievement, testament if need be to one of the most enduring friendships in pop and rock fashion.