Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

I was also under the impression that the last rehearsal was in Windsor. Thanks Steve for the clarification.

btw- where is Bray Manor located? Is it close to Old Mill House?

Bray Film Studios is located in Bray, Berkshire. I've made the drive from Bray to Old Mill House (actually located in Clewer Village, near Windsor) in about 15-20 minutes. The

film studio was associated with Hammer Film Productions in the 60s, many films from which I'm also keenly interested in.

HelloGoodbye.jpg

Note: In numerous print interviews and at least one audio interview (to promote the Led Zeppelin Boxed Set) John said the first rehearsal in London was at 39 Gerrard Street.

An advert has also been found to substantiate 39 Gerrard Street was available for hire

at the time. His recollection of the 9/24/80 rehearsal being at Shepperton Film Studios

is simply false. In his defense, they'd done reenactments for TSRTS there in Aug '74

and it's much closer to where he was living at the time. They only rehearsed once at

Bray, so it's understandable why he may not have recalled it here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

..."the group held a rehearsal at Bray Film Studios, ending at 8pm (9/24/80)"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sources cited: 'Tight But Loose' fanzine (August 1981), 'Led Zeppelin: The Concert File',

recollections of Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, Richard Cole, etc

Actually, I mentioned Peter and Jimmy met with George Hardie in an upstairs room at the Marquee the day of this gig. Jimmy showed him the famous photo of the airship

in flames and said it was the image he wanted on the front of the album cover. My

point is by mid-Oct '68 Jimmy intended to change the name, regardless of how they

were being billed by promoters. The mailer does prove at least one promoter billed

them as The New Yardbirds, and the poster proves a second promoter did as well.

Oh I am sure he had that intention. I cannot imagine them going on as New Yardbirds or a permutation thereof...I mean it'd be like the Spinal Tap scene... The Originals, the new Originals...

Oh I am sure he had that intention. I cannot imagine them going on as New Yardbirds or a permutation thereof...I mean it'd be like the Spinal Tap scene... The Originals, the new Originals...

No better analogy for this !

Perfect Nech.

There are so many moments in Spinal Tap we can tap into for analogous humor. It's often spine tingling wouldn't you say?

:lol:

No, pre-Knebworth rehearsals took place at Bray. This is one of the pics taken there.

Zeprehearsal.jpg

They should have done a Beach Boys number or two or maybe the Ventures, "Wipeout" during their rehearsal... :D

R B)

Edited by reids

Yes, and the musical vision Jimmy had in mind for this new lineup had little to do with what had gone before. All those early performances on the Scandanavian tour must

have convinced him this was indeed shaping up to be something else entirely.

They should have done a Beach Boys number or two or maybe the Ventures, "Wipeout" during their rehearsal... :D

Funny you should suggest that as Jimmy has always rated guitarist Dick Dale highly. I

like to joke Jimmy copped this style for the Walking Into Clarksdale album.

Wipe Out:

Walk Don't Run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ11y7pYl-8...feature=related

Edited by SteveAJones

SteveAJones.

Can you tell me why they bake tapes ? Is it because of the fragile nature of old tape physically or the magnetic information on it that gets miscued or jumbled ?

I'm going to guess it's because of the tension the tape receives with repeated playbacks during remixing and/or remastering.

Could it also be to hold the magnetic particles together ? I know old tapes 'shed', so, can you explain it ?

Thank you.

SteveAJones.

Can you tell me why they bake tapes ? Is it because of the fragile nature of old tape physically or the magnetic information on it that gets miscued or jumbled ?

I'm going to guess it's because of the tension the tape receives with repeated playbacks during remixing and/or remastering.

Could it also be to hold the magnetic particles together ? I know old tapes 'shed', so, can you explain it ?

Thank you.

Tape baking is a technique used to reduce the amount of moisture the tape absorbed over the years...it's a physical limitation. This has been done with some of the Led Zeppelin masters. The internet has several links pertaining to this topic. Here's an overview:

http://www.audio-restoration.com/baking.php

Dick Dale was never in the Ventures....and I recall Jimmy getting quite irritated with Robert Plant during a 1998 interview about Walking Into Clarksdale when Robert kept referring to Page's guitar playing on WIC being akin to Dick Dale. Jimmy advised him to find another comparison.

Dick Dale was never in the Ventures....and I recall Jimmy getting quite irritated with Robert Plant during a 1998 interview about Walking Into Clarksdale when Robert kept referring to Page's guitar playing on WIC being akin to Dick Dale. Jimmy advised him to find another comparison.

Dick Dale was the King of Surf Music and I suggested Jimmy copped that style for WIC. Yes, the comparison to Dale does irk him, which is why I said it the way I did here. :P

Dick Dale was the King of Surf Music and I suggested Jimmy copped that style for WIC. Yes, the comparison to Dale does irk him, which is why I said it the way I did here. :P

Correct me on this if I'm wrong, but I think Jimmy played with the Beach Boys on a few numbers at least one show around the time of Live Aid, possibly in Washington D.C. in July of 1985.

I believe you're right...maybe for the 4th of July celebration, the James Watt thing or something like that.

That's correct. The Beach Boys played a concert in Philadelphia where Jimmy Page ( John Stamos and Mr. T) joined them onstage in July just prior to the Live Aid show. It may have been on the 4th of July but I'm not certain. I KNOW it was the July 4th celebration but not certain if it occured on that day or not.

I was there on Ben Fanklin Parkway-along with reportedly 300,000 other people. It was hot as hell that day. 95F or more.

They also played in Washington D.C. I have video of both concert sand snippets of them travelling by bus from Pa. to D.C.

That's correct. The Beach Boys played a concert in Philadelphia where Jimmy Page ( John Stamos and Mr. T) joined them onstage in July just prior to the Live Aid show. It may have been on the 4th of July but I'm not certain. I KNOW it was the July 4th celebration but not certain if it occured on that day or not.

I was there on Ben Fanklin Parkway-along with reportedly 300,000 other people. It was hot as hell that day. 95F or more.

They also played in Washington D.C. I have video of both concert sand snippets of them travelling by bus from Pa. to D.C.

Very nice. Were you fairly close to the stage? 300,000 people is a hell of a lot to see past. Criminy!!!

I'm glad my memory close to accurate anyway. I thought it was D.C. like SuperDave mentioned but it was Philly huh ? What did Mr. T do, play the tambourine? :lol: Or just shake his gold medallion necklaces for percussive effect ?

Correct me on this if I'm wrong, but I think Jimmy played with the Beach Boys on a few numbers at least one show around the time of Live Aid, possibly in Washington D.C. in July of 1985.
Jimmy Page & The Beach Boys-4th July 1985,Philadelphia.

Lucille

Surfin' U.S.A

Barbara Anne.

Jimmy Page and The Beach Boys-4th July 1986,Washington.

Surfin' U.S.A

Barbara Anne.

:)

Jimmy Page & The Beach Boys-4th July 1985,Philadelphia.

Lucille

Surfin' U.S.A

Barbara Anne.

Jimmy Page and The Beach Boys-4th July 1986,Washington.

Surfin' U.S.A

Barbara Anne.

:)

Ross is spot on. They played both Philly and D.C. the same day-taking the bus down I-95.

I was not close to the stage at all,actually. I could just BARELY make out Pagey on the stage over the 300,000 people in front of me. I'd also heard there were 1/2 million or more there that day too.

Mr. T played drums-either before or after John Stamos.