Orlando 71

crunged

Overall I love this show, its from my fave year and they really seem to be playing well off each other especially Bonzo, who seems to be giving it his everything. This I found expecially clear in SIBLY, where his drum fills are just so fluid. (ive missed of the stick drop in Black dog :D )

Plants voice on a whole is spot on, a few cracks but very very minor. Jimmy is firing on all cylinders and John Paul Jones the usual back bone of the group.

Fantastic Soundboard too, just a shame it misses off Celebration day.

Thoughts? Was anyone at that gig?

Overall I love this show, its from my fave year and they really seem to be playing well off each other especially Bonzo, who seems to be giving it his everything. This I found expecially clear in SIBLY, where his drum fills are just so fluid. (ive missed of the stick drop in Black dog :D )

Plants voice on a whole is spot on, a few cracks but very very minor. Jimmy is firing on all cylinders and John Paul Jones the usual back bone of the group.

Fantastic Soundboard too, just a shame it misses off Celebration day.

Thoughts? Was anyone at that gig?

Wasn't at the gig but agree it was a good show. I never get tired of anything from that tour

My wife attended the Orlando show in 1971. She was 14 at the time and she loved every minute of it. Jimmy and Robert with beards flowing and Page's bow solo were her lasting impressions. She still has her ticket stub!

back then did u not need id to get in gigs??

I happened to be listening to the matrix version of this show last week in my car - one of my favorite 1971 boots.

I always enjoy Robert making up lines in Black Dog and the short guitar riff from You Really Got Me.

Osaka 9/29/71 SB/AUD Matrix

This is an amazing show. Get it in your collection. The mix of this can be sketchy at times, but the playing is absolutely top notch. There are some not-so-great parts. Black Dog was obviously new - though played tight, Jimmy is still getting things right.

The drums are LOUD on some of the sources. You can hear Bonham's comments during the show, which are great. He sings some of the background vocals on Twist and Shout. And he does one of the greatest count ins ever, "Zeppelin Zeppelin, Louder...2-3-4" and bam, Immigrant Song.

Very highly recommended.

Osaka 9/29/71 SB/AUD Matrix

This is an amazing show. Get it in your collection. The mix of this can be sketchy at times, but the playing is absolutely top notch. There are some not-so-great parts. Black Dog was obviously new - though played tight, Jimmy is still getting things right.

The drums are LOUD on some of the sources. You can hear Bonham's comments during the show, which are great. He sings some of the background vocals on Twist and Shout. And he does one of the greatest count ins ever, "Zeppelin Zeppelin, Louder...2-3-4" and bam, Immigrant Song.

Very highly recommended.

Agreed.

9/23 is another great Japan show. I love the sound and feel of 'Rock Carnival'.

I'm diggin' this show. Plant's show definitely warms up, and Jimmy is on fire. Probably the truest Stairway To Heaven to the album I've heard yet. Plant sings it exactly like on the album, with all the same inflection.

Have you hit the close of the show yet, Matt? That version of Thank You is potent.

• 1 year later...
I'm diggin' this show. Plant's show definitely warms up, and Jimmy is on fire. Probably the truest Stairway To Heaven to the album I've heard yet. Plant sings it exactly like on the album, with all the same inflection.

Been listening to this show recently and have to agree, great version..

My wife was in attendance at this show. Her friends and her were pretty wild about Robert's look at the time, but came away mightily impressed with Jimmy's performance. Between the violin bow, theramin , acoustic playing and searing electric work she told me Page intimidated her. She wrote on the the back of her ticket stub- "Fantastic Show!'

I am not surprised Page intimidated her, Chicago, as he was ferocious on the 1971 tour. Especially at Orlando, where Jimmy is seemingly adrenalized even more than usual, to the point where between nearly every song he is throwing down these licks left and right...check out the slinky riff he plays leading into "Celebration Day"! Man, I can't help but crack a smile every time I listen that...it is just a CRYING SHAME that the soundboard doesn't include "Celebration Day".

1971 "CD's" were spectacular, especially for Jonesy and Bonzo's interplay, and it's always a loss whenever a chance is missed to hear a good quality CD. For instance, I weep for what is missing from the 9.14.71 "Going to California" show; how could this taper leave off "Celebration Day"?

Back to topic: yes, Orlando 71 was another magic show from that period...the soundboard I've heard is good, but not spectacular. To my ears, the audience recording of 9.14.71 sounds better than the Orlando sbd.

But at least we get "Celebration Day" albeit in muddy audience tape sound, whereas the 9.14.71 "CD" appears to have been lost forever.

"Interestingly, I've just got a bootleg from a gig in Orlando and in between every song I'm playing all these riffs. Somebody played it to me and I thought, Crikey, they're really good riffs! They never got used again, but they just came out on the spur of the moment. It was such an inspiring time, playing with inspired people, and we were all absolutely on top of it."

- Jimmy Page, Guitarist Magazine (12/12/03)

"Interestingly, I've just got a bootleg from a gig in Orlando and in between every song I'm playing all these riffs. Somebody played it to me and I thought, Crikey, they're really good riffs! They never got used again, but they just came out on the spur of the moment. It was such an inspiring time, playing with inspired people, and we were all absolutely on top of it."

- Jimmy Page, Guitarist Magazine (12/12/03)

They were "absolutely on top of it" !!! IMHO, the 71 tour was the peak of their live performances

They were "absolutely on top of it" !!! IMHO, the 71 tour was the peak of their live performances

I sure would like to listen to the Orlando gig, its one I dont have and cant find. Any help? nudge nudge wink wink :)

Archived