Band Of Brothers

Del Zeppnile

All well and good.................but personally I would rather see a 'band of brothers' type series featuring, say, German troops fighting through years on the Russian front but I know that will never happen but it would make a far more fascinating story. Imagine following German troopers going through Barbarossa, Moscow, Stalingrad, Kursk, Bagration, Berlin etc etc etc????? Wow, what a story THAT would be. :blink::o

I think it's about time we got to know about WW2 via 'other' perspectives. There were normal everyday people on ALL sides.

I highly recomend the German movie, Stalingrad. That's the story you're looking for.

t01367leaod.jpg

Also check out director Wolfgan Petersen's (The Perfect Storm, Troy, Airforce One, Neverending Story) Das Boot, or The Boat in English. It's one of the best war movies I ever watched.

t00986oysyo.jpg

allmovie.com review

Plot Synopsis

by Don Kaye

Das Boot is one of the most gripping and authentic war movies ever made. Based on an autobiographical novel by German World War II photographer Lothar-Guenther Buchheim, the film follows the lives of a fearless U-Boat captain (Jurgen Prochnow) and his inexperienced crew as they patrol the Atlantic and Mediterranean in search of Allied vessels, taking turns as hunter and prey. There's very little plot, so the movie's power comes from both its riveting, epic battle scenes and its details of the boring hours spent waiting for orders or signs of the enemy. With the exception of one staunch Hitler Youth lieutenant, none of the crew is particularly loyal to the Nazis, and some are openly hostile toward their Fuhrer; this allows viewer sympathy with the men as they perform their laborious, monotonous duties in cramped, filthy quarters, or await death as depth charges explode all around the sub. Prochnow is excellent as the nerves-of-steel commander, and many of the supporting actors — all German — are solid as well, although the characterizations border on war movie clichés (the young crewman who has left behind his pregnant girlfriend, the Chief Engineer whose wife is seriously ill). The real star, however, is cinematographer Jost Vacano, who makes the sub's grimy, claustrophobic interior come to vivid life, as his camera follows the crew through hatches, up ladders, into bunks, and under pipes, creating a palpable sense of claustrophobia while injecting it with movement. Originally edited by writer/director Wolfgang Petersen as both a two-and-a-half hour theatrical release and a six-hour German miniseries, Das Boot was re-released in a restored version in 1997 with nearly one hour of added footage which made it even more suspenseful than before.

I highly recomend the German movie, Stalingrad. That's the story you're looking for.

t01367leaod.jpg

Thanks man. I have that already on video. I bought it ages ago before DVDs appeared and it's great. I agree. :)

Also check out director Wolfgan Petersen's (The Perfect Storm, Troy, Airforce One, Neverending Story) Das Boot, or The Boat in English. It's one of the best war movies I ever watched.

I also have Das Boot. Another excellent film.

Cross Of Iron (1977) is another good film from the German perspective. Stars James Coburn and James Mason. You should try it, if you haven't seen it.

It would be nice to see a Band Of Brothers type full on series about the German side though. It'd be fascinating, especially with a unit that saw action on both eastern and western fronts as quite a few did.

Cheers!

P.S) Apologies to Del Zeppnile for going off topic again.

Band of Brothers in by far my favorite WWII movie. Perfecting depicting Easy Company, of the 506th PIR of the 101st Airborne Division. Easy Company was one of the best units in WWII, IMO.

But check out these good movies:

downfall.jpg

Amazing film about Hitler's last days.

1193141532_862240enemy-at-the-gates.jpg

This is my favorite film about Stalingrad.

^that's awesome that he kept such good records of that, Hotplant.

Dave has done no such thing. I wonder if the Air Force would let him copy down his tours when he retires. I'd love to see it--I'd like to see how many times he's been deployed overseas--we've lost track becuase he's been over there so many times.

Band of Brothers in by far my favorite WWII movie. Perfecting depicting Easy Company, of the 506th PIR of the 101st Airborne Division. Easy Company was one of the best units in WWII, IMO.

Very good unit no doubt (wouldn't argue there) but I don't think I would quite put them up there as 'one of the best' of the war (my opinion, obviously). They didn't see as much intense combat over years as a lot of other top units like, for example, SS Leibstandarte or Das Reich or Grossdeutschland etc etc and didn't consistently prove themselves against unfavourable odds.

Thanks man. I have that already on video. I bought it ages ago before DVDs appeared and it's great. I agree. :)

I also have Das Boot. Another excellent film.

Cross Of Iron (1977) is another good film from the German perspective. Stars James Coburn and James Mason. You should try it, if you haven't seen it.

It would be nice to see a Band Of Brothers type full on series about the German side though. It'd be fascinating, especially with a unit that saw action on both eastern and western fronts as quite a few did.

Cheers!

P.S) Apologies to Del Zeppnile for going off topic again.

Yeah, I have seen Cross Of Iron, but it was a real long time ago.. I've got to check it out again. Thanks for the reminder.

• 11 months later...
In memory of "Memorial Day" 2009 to all of our fallen men and woman who gave all to their country.

usaCa.gif

God bless them. They made the supreme sacrifice. May they rest in peace.

Edited by Fan_S.

I had the entire DVD transferred to my Tivo for quick access. I may squeeze in a few episodes today.

The vice-president of my company is name Richard Winters. no relation.

Im also actively involved with this http://www.ilfreedomrun.org/

Glad to see Del is still around defending the true ideals of america. Not what has been spoken since January.

• 2 weeks later...