Commentary on Plant Says NO to Zep Reunion

SteveAJones

Who knows what to believe, regarding this story. A "so called" inside source. Remember, this came from the Daily Mirror which is just a tabloidish British rag. They're one of the publications with the papparazzi celebrity photos and the speculative stories about the British royalty. So take it for what it's worth, which isn't much IMHO. You can't believe any of these positive or negative stories regarding news about Led Zeppelin unless it is confirmed from the source.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings, long time lurker, first time poster.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't see a link to the article, more an opinion piece, please correct me if wrong, nor do I trust the Sunday Mirror, in fact I would reject chips wrapped in such a rag. I would be interested to know the provenance of such a 'story'.

I was a fence sitter pre O2, in fact I only half heartedly attempted to register, I believed that modern LZ could never be as powerful as original LZ and it was maybe just another reunion. I believe, given the evidence, that I was wrong. I reckon LZ are one of the few bands who have managed, individually and as more than the sum of their parts, to retain their power and dignity. As Q magazine pointed out, they look and act their age, a fine accolade.

I was one year old when 'The Song Remains the Same' was released so unlike many here I have never had even the faintest chance of seeing them live, despite the fact that on and off over the years they have provided the soundtrack to my life. Given the hope inspired by O2 I would go to ridiculous lengths to see them just once.

Through lurking here there seems to be a divide, a 'we have seen them, they were great, let it be' versus 'I have never seen them, I wish, if only'. This is in parallel to their own unwillingness to say one thing or the other, put us out of our misery or give us what we (some of us) really want.

Am I selfish for wanting to see Led Zep just once in all their majesty? probably. When I have seen great bands in the past play to an adoring audience, soak up the atmosphere and revel in it do I believe they are indulging in a selfless act or do I think they are enjoying it just as much as I am? I think they are having a damn fine time. I think Led Zep in the O2 were having a damn fine time. Lets just wait and see if they want us to join the party, a party I believe must be very hard to walk away from.

That's just my two cents, with fingers crossed and bells on.

If Plant is free to say no to his fans then Zeppelin fans are free to demand a reunion tour if they so choose. We want it so we demand it, that does not mean he has to listen to his fans I mean c'mon Robert be the only one to say no it just shows to me your lack of respect you have for your past, are you that embarrassed to sing Stairway to Heaven again !!!

I don't know why some people on these forums are afraid to have the band tour/record again, it really bothers me because I have no fear what so ever that Led Zeppelin will take over the world but the way some people talk on hear you can't understand how they get out of bed in the morning for fear of falling on their head.

Robert grow a set of balls and show the world who is boss, that is me expressing my right to demand a tour if anyone has a problem with it .......... go polish your participation trophy cause your too scared like Robert Plant, to put your balls on the !!!!!

RjK

In all reality if they were to do shows, they would do so few that most people wouldn't have the tiniest chance of seeing them. In some ways that makes me glad that it seems all but certain that Plant has squashed it again cuz I know I wouldn't get the chance to see them if they toured. Most of us wouldn't. And I think getting our hopes up if they actually did do concerts and then not being able to go would be WAY worse.

Just my two cents. I get to see Plant this summer, so that'll be cool, even if I have to sit through another bluegrass version of Black Dog. Oh, the blasphemy. :mellow:

If Plant is free to say no to his fans then Zeppelin fans are free to demand a reunion tour if they so choose. We want it so we demand it, that does not mean he has to listen to his fans I mean c'mon Robert be the only one to say no it just shows to me your lack of respect you have for your past, are you that embarrassed to sing Stairway to Heaven again !!!

I don't know why some people on these forums are afraid to have the band tour/record again, it really bothers me because I have no fear what so ever that Led Zeppelin will take over the world but the way some people talk on hear you can't understand how they get out of bed in the morning for fear of falling on their head. Robert grow a set of balls and show the world who is boss, that is me expressing my right to demand a tour if anyone has a problem with it .......... go polish your participation trophy cause your too scared like Robert Plant, to put your balls on the !!!!!

RjK

Compare say, the Led Zeppelin performance as captured on the legendary Blueberry Hill bootleg in 1970 and the O2 show from last year. Then compare "In Through The Out Door" to "Led Zeppelin II."

Time to grow old with a certain amount of grace and decorum I think.

How about you have to have been born before they released the first Led Zeppelin album? ;)

Then you could have just seen them when they were still touring!

I want them to tour so the new generation of fans (like myself) can see them. When I say "fans", I don't mean the kid who only knows 5 Zep songs and wears a '77 American Tour T-shirt just to be cool. I'm talking about the people who are truly passionate about Led Zeppelin but are not old enough to have seen them in their prime. Please Robert, tour for us!

Compare say, the Led Zeppelin performance as captured on the legendary Blueberry Hill bootleg in 1970 and the O2 show from last year. Then compare "In Through The Out Door" to "Led Zeppelin II."

Time to grow old with a certain amount of grace and decorum I think.

Just for the sake of a similar contrast I watched the 02 DVD (London 2007) followed

by an Earls Court DVD (London 1975). What they'd lost was strikingly obvious, yet so

to was what they retained. It did make all the emotionally-charged talk by some of

the 02 having been their best concert ever rather silly.

Just for the sake of a similar contrast I watched the 02 DVD (London 2007) followed

by an Earls Court DVD (London 1975). What they'd lost was strikingly obvious, yet so

to was what they retained. It did make all the emotionally-charged talk by some of

the 02 having been their best concert ever rather silly.

They lost their drummer.

They have also gained alot :)

And I, for one, prefer In Throught The Out Door to LZ II.

I don't know why some people on these forums are afraid to have the band tour/record again, it really bothers me because I have no fear what so ever that Led Zeppelin will take over the world but the way some people talk on hear you can't understand how they get out of bed in the morning for fear of falling on their head.

Robert grow a set of balls and show the world who is boss, that is me expressing my right to demand a tour if anyone has a problem with it .......... go polish your participation trophy cause your too scared like Robert Plant, to put your balls on the !!!!!

RjK

Seems unlikely he's too scared to perform with them again or too embarrassed to sing Stairway--he just did it! I don't really see where fear enters the whole debate, actually, pro or anti tour--for example, I am totally devoid of fear that Zeppelin will take over the world. But you never know, I guess.

I can't speak for anyone else but I, for one, am not afraid to have the band record and/or tour again. However, it's not for me to beg or demand that they tour and record again. It's up to the 3/4 members of LZ to make that decision. If they do, fantastic-I'll be first in line to get tickets. If not, I'm fine with that too. This band has given us years of fantastic, innovative, creative, exciting-too many adjetctives to mention-music and live performances.... we have TSRTS, LZ Live DVD performances from 1969-79, audio/video collections......can't ask for anything more than that. B)

'Demanding' an album/tour doesn't make any sense at all, because this isn't a rights issue. It's just a question of people's preferences and opinions, which they are free to express, and no need to see that as an infringement on individual group members' artistic freedom (and hence their freedom to decide as they please - whatever people think).

I would like to express my wish that they do it. I think they are capable of things as a band that far exceed anything any of them can do solo, so that's why. :beer:

we just need to face the facts. led zeppelin is DEAD. its never going to be the same. they are not as good as they were back in the day. they will never tour. they will never record another album. DEAL WITH IT and try to stop you vaginas from bleeding over it.

Too bad it had to be the "Sunday Mirror" and not some rag more reputable...

But, that being said, I'm not surprised by this at all.

Robert does his thing and his thing ain't with a Zeppelin Tour - mind you "Tour" being the key word.

He would do the free "Concert in the Park" thing if the feeling is right.

Sorry Velvet Revolver...no such luck boys.

Is there some reason that "fans" of Robert will not let him enjoy his present project with Alison now? If he is able to focus and enjoy the success of this project it will only make him feel better about a Zeppelin tour. The teaming up with Alison is not a permanent thing -- it is Robert growing and expanding his horizons. I am so happy for him that this project has been fulfilling for him. I find it hard to believe that he would let Jimmy and Jonesy down if they really want to do a tour. Hopefully, later this year after his touring is over with Alison, the "fans" can hear what they've been wanting to hear -- a Zeppelin tour in 2009. And, if not, we'll just have to live with what memories we have. Group hug to all the Zeppelin "fans"!

Is there some reason that "fans" of Robert will not let him enjoy his present project with Alison now? If he is able to focus and enjoy the success of this project it will only make him feel better about a Zeppelin tour. The teaming up with Alison is not a permanent thing -- it is Robert growing and expanding his horizons. I am so happy for him that this project has been fulfilling for him. I find it hard to believe that he would let Jimmy and Jonesy down if they really want to do a tour. Hopefully, later this year after his touring is over with Alison, the "fans" can hear what they've been wanting to hear -- a Zeppelin tour in 2009. And, if not, we'll just have to live with what memories we have. Group hug to all the Zeppelin "fans"!

I'm certainly "letting" poor, helpless baby Robert do his thing; in my view he is free to enjoy everything he wants almost. I hope he doesn't mind, but I must respect myself in the morning. :rolleyes:

Archived