Patrick Swayze diagnosed with pancreatic cancer

MistyMountain67

The official statement was handed down from his agent today and the diagnosis isn’t good, but sunnier than the National Enquirer made it out to be:

“Patrick Swayze has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and is currently undergoing treatment. Patrick’s physician Dr. George Fisher states, ‘Patrick has a very limited amount of disease and he appears to be responding well to treatment thus far. All of the reports stating the timeframe of his prognosis and his physical side effects are absolutely untrue. We are considerably more optimistic.’ Patrick is continuing his normal schedule during this time, which includes working on upcoming projects. The outpouring of support and concern he has already received from the public is deeply appreciated by Patrick and his family.”

Yeah, but remember when, I think it was The Sun, in England, reported that George Harrison said he had accepted the fact that he was going to die soon, and everybody came out and said "no no, he's fine, he's having treatment and he'll be around for ages" and he wasn't, he died like 4 months later. I mean i hate to say it, but The Sun was right...

Yeah, but remember when, I think it was The Sun, in England, reported that George Harrison said he had accepted the fact that he was going to die soon, and everybody came out and said "no no, he's fine, he's having treatment and he'll be around for ages" and he wasn't, he died like 4 months later. I mean i hate to say it, but The Sun was right...

Not really a hard quess to make when someone has that type of cancer. And besides, there will always be some Doctor or spokesperson around to paint a rosey picture on these things. Pancreatic cancer is a very grim reaper I hate to say.

Hope Patrick takes time to do what he needs to right now.

I hate to be negative but i would go by what the Sun is saying. Swayze's doctor and his rep have to put a positive spin on it. What else are they going to say? My cousin's neighbor was diagnosed with it and was gone in a month. Sad.

Unfortunately, by the time most people are diagnosed with Pancreatic Ca, it has already spread to many other organs, making surgical intervention too late. Early symptoms often go unnoticed, and the disease spreads very rapidly. I have seen many people die from it and it is so sad. I work with an amazing Surgeon who specializes in surgical intervention for patients who are diagnosed early enough (Whipple procedure). I don't know if Patrick Swayze was diagnosed in time.

Agreed.. I just had a family member die from pancreatic cancer, she was perfectly fine and then 8 weeks after being diagnosed... well...

But I hope the best for Patrick. :(

Aww, man... that sucks. As someone else posted, pancreatic cancer is pretty aggressive if not caught early.

The PR folks may be saying 'upbeat' and positive things so people don't start hanging around in some kind of death vigil.

I hope Swayze is comfortable and doing the things he wants to do with the time he has left... regardless of how long that time is.

(BTW, wasn't he also in Red Dawn? My ex loved that movie, so I got to see it a few times...)

i know, the bar has been set pretty low. i still can't imagine that getting past an editor. everyone is using that line over and over again. even on radio "sad news to report tonight , dirty dancer aka patrick swayze has been diagnosed with cancer"

when elvis died did people print stories titled ' hunk of love fizzles'? or how about the original superman? 'man of steel falls like an anvil'?

I had the pleasure of meeting him once during the filming of "Roadhouse" it was originally going to be called "Honor among thieves" some times they will change titles of a film post production. They were having a shoot at the St. James boat launch and I was sent out to make a service call on one of the support vehicles. After I had finished making the repairs I was invited to have a bite to eat at the dinner trailer and patrick was there getting a plate. I said hi mr swayze the food smells great or something to that effect and he said yea I love comming to Louisiana the food is the best.

I really hope the best for him, seemed like a really nice guy.

• 10 months later...
I saw the last 1/2 hour of his interview with Barbara Walters last night and was in tears. He seems to be such a genuinely nice guy, and is handling his illness with so much courage and grace. :'(

i saw that too, very sad and yet admirable. i actually know a couple who is going through the same thing now, you cant imagine one without the other.