Led Zeppelin Won't Release Comeback Concert DVD

OK, thanks.  I can't say I totally understand it (mainly because I have difficulty with the concept of how international law works), but I think I get the general idea!

I'm seeing this discussed as "intellectual property" rights or IP for short. Doesn't seem to be front page news in the states. I hope savvy LedHeads are part of the debate. We have a lot to lose. 

Page played better than the far away microphones would have you believe. So did Bonham.

Well, the two of them did botch the ending of Dazed, coming out of the guitar solo with the drum triplets, going back into the slow tempo. I don't see how that can be repaired without going into the studio and re-recording some stuff. That's the only heinous error that I've found in the whole show, though, which is pretty good for 27 years off....

My understanding is that they did a full dress rehearsal the night before which was multi-tracked. I think this happened before the handful of songs that some 300-400 people saw on Dec 9th 2007. NFBM was surely better at the practice, witness accounts seem to say so.. Dazed and Confused may have been played on Dec 9th, but before they let people in.  I'm thinking one of the problems they are having behind the scenes  (with an official release) is that the practice went better than the show itself. This conjecture is based on witness accounts here at LZ.com vs. what I see and hear on utoob and boots.

• 2 months later...

The guy who filmed the show, Dick Carruthers, stated on tuesday that it was NOT filmed with a view to being released as footage of a gig - it was filmed for the shots shown on the big screen behind them during the gig. It would take quite a lot of work to turn it into a "film of the gig" - and he hasn't been asked to begin that. So I'd suggest a release isn't even currently planned, never mind imminent.

Don't hold your breath it will never come out....It was just an ok performance. Plants voice is not what it used to be and if i was him i would not want this put out...............I skipped through the boot DVD the other day and imho some of Bobbys vocals are cringeworthy....but hey that,s just me.....a grumpy old narky bastard...as the missus says.

Don't hold your breath it will never come out....It was just an ok performance. Plants voice is not what it used to be and if i was him i would not want this put out...............I skipped through the boot DVD the other day and imho some of Bobbys vocals are cringeworthy....but hey that,s just me.....a grumpy old narky bastard...as the missus says.

I wouldn't say Plant's voice was cringeworthy. Considering his current range, I'd say he did a great job. I doubt any of us were expecting the Viking Rob shrieking about Valhalla to appear. If anything, the problems with the sound system were cringeworthy.

Knebby's reasoning is what will keep the show from ever materializing into a film of sorts.

Edited to Add: And that's most likely the main reason why Robert will not consider breathing life into Led Zeppelin ever again, aside from the occasional one off gig. His voice just can't take night in and night out of belting out hard rock any more. I've accepted that and am perfectly fine with it. So is he. Next question.. ;)

I read a review recently that said that the sound editor made a mess of the first 3 songs. Although I watched an audience recording and I thought they sounded really good. Sadly I wasn't there to see it myself.

I was there. There were some feedback issues during the first 3 songs.

I skipped through the boot DVD the other day and imho some of Bobbys vocals are cringeworthy

Agreed. Truth be told, they've been intermittently and increasingly cringeworthy since 1973. After seeing the O2 show, which was a touching curio but ultimately a travesty, I can fully understand why he doesn't want to do that stuff anymore. Ris-pekk.

When good times started the sound was horrible. I've seen a couple of boots of the show and they sound doctored. I remember thinking to myself I hope

this doesn't turn out to be another 88 reunion. The second song it got better and by the end of the third all feedback and whatever you might call it was gone.

After that it was outstanding sound for the rest of the show. I always thought that if they did release it jimmy would probably spend alot of time on those three songs alone.

I was at the O2, as were many others from this forum, and the show I saw was NOTHING like you (Tripmender) describe. It was bloody brilliant and made us all proud as punch of the four amazing guys on the stage.

Agreed. Truth be told, they've been intermittently and increasingly cringeworthy since 1973. After seeing the O2 show, which was a touching curio but ultimately a travesty, I can fully understand why he doesn't want to do that stuff anymore. Ris-pekk.

You've obviously never seen the 02 Show Led Zeppelin played if you're making stupid comments like that. <_<

I was at the O2, as were many others from this forum, and the show I saw was NOTHING like you (Tripmender) describe. It was bloody brilliant and made us all proud as punch of the four amazing guys on the stage.

I agree 100% I was at the 02 show and they were stellar! There were some audio problems in the beginning but nothing that bad! Just some feedback It did not overshadow the performance!The band members all sounded excellent! This guy must just be pissed he was not there! I saw and heard what you did!

I don't think that I am alone in saying that a Zep tour in the near future would be a tremendous event. I am 35, which means that I missed the touring years, due to age, but I have been listening to them since I can remember. I would pay top $$$$$$$ to see them live, and I know I am not alone. Even a ten city tour would be incredible. Am I day dreaming? Will this never take place??

Editing out the feedback in the master tapes is no problem at all, when they look at the tapes, they will isolate the channel the feedback is coming out on and calculate what frequency it is and simply cut that frequency for that second for so.

I've got one of the better bootlegs, as far as I can tell, it was a good show and better than the 1980 tour of Europe.

The guy who filmed the show, Dick Carruthers, stated on tuesday that it was NOT filmed with a view to being released as footage of a gig - it was filmed for the shots shown on the big screen behind them during the gig. It would take quite a lot of work to turn it into a "film of the gig" - and he hasn't been asked to begin that. So I'd suggest a release isn't even currently planned, never mind imminent.

Yeah, thats what they said about Earls Court and Knebworth "it was filmed for the shots shown on the big screen behind them during the gig, not a film of the gig". But we did eventually wind up with an official partial release of these shows on the DVD, and it was great.

Here's the reason I think it will never be "officially" released: because it wasn't Led Zeppelin.

Even Robert Plant recently stated that the O2 show may have been the best show Zeppelin did since 75',

"but it wasn't Led Zeppelin", and I fully agree.

I personally don't think there should ever be anyone in Led Zeppelins official catalog of music other than

Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones & John Bonham, period.

Sorry Jason, but like the song says ... "What Is And What Should Never Be".

That being said, I would love to see/hear the full production recording of this show, it must sound and look incredible.

Hi snapper,all,

Yeah, thats what they said about Earls Court and Knebworth "it was filmed for the shots shown on the big screen behind them during the gig, not a film of the gig". But we did eventually wind up with an official partial release of these shows on the DVD, and it was great.

Here's the reason I think it will never be "officially" released: because it wasn't Led Zeppelin.

Even Robert Plant recently stated that the O2 show may have been the best show Zeppelin did since 75',

"but it wasn't Led Zeppelin", and I fully agree.

I personally don't think there should ever be anyone in Led Zeppelins official catalog of music other than

Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones & John Bonham, period.

Sorry Jason, but like the song says ... "What Is And What Should Never Be".

That being said, I would love to see/hear the full production recording of this show, it must sound and look incredible.

Very true,just expansive home movies? :P

What a second,....Plant states that it might be the best Zeppelin show since 1975,then he states it wasn't Zeppelin? :blink: What is it Robert?Then why the big sign in the back?The why didn't the vast array of stars from Atlantic record preform? :slapface:

Let me guess,... ;)

KB(nothing to be sorry about Jason)

If you are as big of a Led Zeppelin fan as I am (and I am sure most of you are), there are a couple of ways (and means) to purchase this LZ O2 reunion concert on dvd. Of course, not officialy or professionaly filmed. I personally have to 2 different dvds of this concert in my possession. I bought them from someone I do not know and have never meet on the internet for only $20 each. 2 different sources and 2 different camera shots. One is on 1 dvd and the second one is on 2 separate dvds.

My point is: if you really want to see and own this remarkable and historic concert, I say that you do a little exploring and searching on the internet and you should find this "treasure". I say that $20 is a great investment for those who truly want to own this dvd and cannot wait for the "Offical" release.

Why buy it? Download it, burn it to DVD yourself, voila. Now you have a DVD copy of the concert and all it cost you was the price of the DVD itself. I firmly believe bootlegs should be traded, not sold. That includes video bootlegs, too.

If you are as big of a Led Zeppelin fan as I am (and I am sure most of you are), there are a couple of ways (and means) to purchase this LZ O2 reunion concert on dvd. Of course, not officialy or professionaly filmed. I personally have to 2 different dvds of this concert in my possession. I bought them from someone I do not know and have never meet on the internet for only $20 each. 2 different sources and 2 different camera shots. One is on 1 dvd and the second one is on 2 separate dvds.

My point is: if you really want to see and own this remarkable and historic concert, I say that you do a little exploring and searching on the internet and you should find this "treasure". I say that $20 is a great investment for those who truly want to own this dvd and cannot wait for the "Offical" release.

You paid $20 for something you can with little effort obtain for free :lol::lol::lol: (I have 3 versions, Third Eye, Four Eyes and Katzeye that cost me nothing) ..............Well there is a new one out there available somewhere on the PLANET that is from 15..yes FIFTEEN different camera sources that uses the Four Eyes DVD soundtrack............15 camera angles is the best you will ever get as this Gig will never see the light of day in an official capacity. I've not bothered to grab this new 15 source one yet i will ..but not now..

Archived