Jason Bonham on Led Zeppelin Show: “Right Up Until the Last Minute, I Was Struggling”

Jahfin

:lol: Good point. A long time ago somebody played me a tape of them getting lost in Kashmir (I'm amazed they didn't more often!)! Maybe you all have heard this. I don't have any boots, so I don't know if it's a popular one. Some of their songs make me nervous- it would be so easy to mess up, like NFBM, too. When I watch ice skating, I have to peek through my fingers, because I'm so afraid they'll fall- that's how I watch Zeppelin performances.

That's why they are so compelling live - because it's real and it's happening in front of you. They aren't phoning in their performance or lip-syncing or any of that other rubbish. Page set himself very difficult targets as a live guitarist, in terms of the complexity of the arrangements.

I have a 1980 show and after Kashmir, Robert says "If anyone's bootlegging us, you might want to cut that bit out." lol

That's why they are so compelling live - because it's real and it's happening in front of you. They aren't phoning in their performance or lip-syncing or any of that other rubbish. Page set himself very difficult targets as a live guitarist, in terms of the complexity of the arrangements.

I have a 1980 show and after Kashmir, Robert says "If anyone's bootlegging us, you might want to cut that bit out." lol

Actually, there's a clip of them supposedly lip-syncing in Sweden in that new Youtube thing that's up. I didn't watch that one. But, yeah- they really went for it, didn't they. Cripes! Bonham and Jones like a crazy funky machine...and they had to watch Jp, cause he'd change it up all over the place. Plant, too.

If Zep reunited today (beyond the O2) their live performances would be MUCH more focused and on point - musically speaking.

In truth, their studio recordings were always very difficult to reproduce in a live setting. Add to that the growing use of certain drugs in the latter 70's shows and you have the mixed bag of live performances that we know of today.

Back then (in the 70's) people never really analyzed their shows to the depth that we do today.

It seemed everyone was as high or higher than the Zep members so a screw-up here or there never really mattered. They were the Gods of the day, and to say that Jimmy screwed up in 1975 or 1977 was considered a profane act...nicely speaking!

As far as any Zeppelin goings on.... from now on, it seems that Jason is... indded a full fledged member of the band.

Robert said it sussinctly, during their perfomance at the O2, when Robert plainly stated:

"We've brought Jason "In" . . .

Those 4 little words.... say it all... for Me. No Discussion. :D

I've said it before and I'll say it again. It rattles my cage a bit that Jason is forever being compared to his father. I know that it will always be like that, but I really wish folk would take a step back and see Jason as a talented musician in his own right. As well as a very gifted drummer, he is a self taught keyboard player, he writes, he has a very soulful, strong singing voice (underused in my book...please sing more Jason!!) and..worth a mention...a damn fine motocross rider! :)

Absolutely! John's gone and Jason is Jason. From the bootlegs he did incredibly well and none of use should be trying to compare him to his Dad. Shame he has to waste his talent in Foreigner.

Hey, I've got an idea, why doesn't he get his Dad's old band back together?

You can't compare Jason to John Bonham. But you can't compare anyone to John Bonham. Maybe some jazz drummers are better but that's really about it. Jason is very talented and hit a homerun the O2 concert. The mistakes he made are really only noticeable but other musicians or fans that listen to it over again to try and catch some mistakes. I'm sure you can catch similar mistakes made by even the great John Bonham in 1971.

As far as any Zeppelin goings on.... from now on, it seems that Jason is... indded a full fledged member of the band.

Robert said it sussinctly, during their perfomance at the O2, when Robert plainly stated:

Those 4 little words.... say it all... for Me. No Discussion. :D

In for the show or in for the group? Besides, I think only Jimmy Page can say for sure -- it's still his band and he hasn't said much, if anything, about it. We're talking about the

rewriting of the band's history. I don't think this has been fully considered by Jimmy yet.

Absolutely! John's gone and Jason is Jason. From the bootlegs he did incredibly well and none of use should be trying to compare him to his Dad. Shame he has to waste his talent in Foreigner.

Hey, I've got an idea, why doesn't he get his Dad's old band back together?

I think waste is a bit too strong a word, although I believe Foreigner are not the best vehicle to show off Jason's talents to the full.

The issue of full partnership is raised in the article, and I think it will be very interesting indeed to see if the other three extend it to him in the future. My personal opinion is up

to the night of the 02 he served admirably as an occasional replacement for his father.

One could argue, and he does seem to agree, he earned his wings that night, thereby

setting the stage for further evolution of the band as a full partner. Exciting to consider.

So...Steve, am I to read (between the lines, of course) that you have become hopeful of further Zep gigs? ;)

I think waste is a bit too strong a word, although I believe Foreigner are not the best vehicle to show off Jason's talents to the full.

ah, it's a paying gig, and more time in the shed. I'll bet he is sneaking in more fills than he did pre-O2.

Why bother with comparisons to his father. IF he sounded exactly like Bonzo the word would be "why doesn't he do his own thing?". It's a no-win situation for someone in his shoes. Let him play like he wants and judge it then.

And in my estimation he did a brilliant job at O2 and there is no other drummer that Jimmy should ever consider for the position, if he were to work with Jonesy and Robert again.

Face it, Zep was forever over the day Bonzo left this earth, but the next best thing would be to have Jason in the drummer chair.

I can only imagine Bonzo with a smile on his face.

Why bother with comparisons to his father. IF he sounded exactly like Bonzo the word would be "why doesn't he do his own thing?". It's a no-win situation for someone in his shoes. Let him play like he wants and judge it then.

And in my estimation he did a brilliant job at O2 and there is no other drummer that Jimmy should ever consider for the position, if he were to work with Jonesy and Robert again.

Face it, Zep was forever over the day Bonzo left this earth, but the next best thing would be to have Jason in the drummer chair.

Have to agree with you all the way B)

It was a one off show and little time for him to develop a style. If they had or do tour then I am certain we would see Jason flourish.

It's a tough one for me to get a grip on. I agree with you that Zeppelin was forever gone when Bonzo died and I 've stated on many a thread that they should be very careful on how they handle any further commitments as a band. I have to say though that I'm as excited as anyone about any future

endeavors. Jason, from what I've seen, was great at O2. I don't think his dad would mind at all.

Hear, hear!! :thumbsup:

ah, it's a paying gig, and more time in the shed. I'll bet he is sneaking in more fills than he did pre-O2.

It's one of the reasons why he left UFO.

Jason has said on more than one occasion after the O2 how he "will be there like a shot" should the call come from Jimmy to come and do whatever he has planned. So, from that, one would summise that he will be there for Foreigner for the time being but it's not where his heart lays. I don't doubt that Mick Jones knows that too.

So far as I've seen the well remains dry. It has yet to be confirmed just what they were

working on. "New material" is ambiguous; the original point of the well being dry remains open for debate.

You are such a buzz kill. ;)

It's a tough one for me to get a grip on. I agree with you that Zeppelin was forever gone when Bonzo died and I 've stated on many a thread that they should be very careful on how they handle any further commitments as a band. I have to say though that I'm as excited as anyone about any future endeavors. Jason, from what I've seen, was great at O2. I don't think his dad would mind at all.

They've honored John thourougly in their silence over the years, and now in bringing Jason in. If Jason is cool with it, I'm certainly cool with it.

As Steve said not long ago, life is for the living. The real shame would be for them not to make music together.

Jason (and all of them) did an incredible job for the Ahmet Tribute: O2 concert.

Jason is a great guy (I met him in 1997) and this has always been his dream (ever since 1980). We talked into the early hours of the morning in SC about his dad, family, music and other stuff. He has conquered a lot in his days. The dream gig for him is to record material and tour with the other 3.

That was the best opportunity for the four of them to do for Jason's dad , Ahmet and their friends and all of the fans.

I (my personal opinion) really believe they will re-group late this year with some new studio material and tour next year with Plant.

Let's just wait and see, though (as anything can happen in an animated cartoon (to quote Bugs Bunny). ;)

R B)

Jason (and all of them) did an incredible job for the Ahmet Tribute: O2 concert.

Jason is a great guy (I met him in 1997) and this has always been his dream (ever since 1980). We talked into the early hours of the morning in SC about his dad, family, music and other stuff. He has conquered a lot in his days. The dream gig for him is to record material and tour with the other 3.

That was the best opportunity for the four of them to do for Jason's dad , Ahmet and their friends and all of the fans.

I (my personal opinion) really believe they will re-group late this year with some new studio material and tour next year with Plant.

Let's just wait and see, though (as anything can happen in an animated cartoon (to quote Bugs Bunny). ;)

R B)

Lucky you reids, to have met him. I read time and time again the kind words about him from people who have had the pleasure. I'm waiting in the wings...my time is gonna come! 55 days to go and counting 'til I get to see him in London :D:D

I too will be so delighted for him, if we get to hear/see the fruits of their studio labour and if it is developed upon.

Rover said:

Those 4 little words.... say it all... for Me. No Discussion.

In for the show or in for the group? Besides, I think only Jimmy Page can say for sure -- it's still his band and he hasn't said much, if anything, about it. We're talking about the

rewriting of the band's history. I don't think this has been fully considered by Jimmy yet.

I think it's for 'the group'.

I mean, have you ever heard Robert saying that 'they have brought someone 'in' ? ?

I don't think that was ever stated in any of the "Led Zeppelin" reunions, or other Page/Plant outings . . .

That's why I feel that way, about it.

And Robert does not say things, in that context, haphazardly. I do not think Robert was just referring to that show, and that show only. :)

I think if we could ask bonzo what he would want...he'd want jason to play with them, and for them to make music together again. They honored him very well, and if it wasn't jason, I would be against a reunion. Any of you fathers out there would be proud to have your son carry on your craft after you were gone, wouldn't you??

Jason was awesome at the o2. 2 bars late on dazed or not....

I think that realistically, if things started to get going again and all the members were involved, then Jason was unable/unwilling to continue, I doubt the remaining 3, JP, JPJ, RP would call themselves Led Zeppelin. It wouldn't be right to tour/release an album/whatever as Led Zeppelin with some other bozo - not Bonzo - on the drums.

I know I personally would feel that it wouldn't be right.

Thanks. Yes. He was/is a great guy.

...only 54 days, Miss Honeydripper, 54 days (and you will meet him).

Let us know about everything and show us some pictures. :D

I'll see him here in Atlanta (July 20) when he plays with Foreigner (and Bryan Adams).

R B)

I've said it before and I'll say it again. It rattles my cage a bit that Jason is forever being compared to his father. I know that it will always be like that, but I really wish folk would take a step back and see Jason as a talented musician in his own right. As well as a very gifted drummer, he is a self taught keyboard player, he writes, he has a very soulful, strong singing voice (underused in my book...please sing more Jason!!) and..worth a mention...a damn fine motocross rider! :)

I've got mixed feelings about this Miss H. Jason hs always played Zeppelin songs, he wears his dad's symbol, he has a registration plate spelling out "Four Sticks" - he has always, ALWAYS emphasised that connection to his dad. I have always argued that he has the RIGHT to, against those who say he built his career riding on his father's name - Bonzo was his FATHER. But I'm afraid that because he has been so proud of and so emphatic about that connection, comparisons are inevitable. He has invited them, really, and if they were so unfair and so unwarranted he could stop playing "Whole Lotta Love " with Foreigner and find his OWN successful music to play to us.

You know I like Jason, but really I see that as the truth.

I've got mixed feelings about this Miss H. Jason hs always played Zeppelin songs, he wears his dad's symbol, he has a registration plate spelling out "Four Sticks" - he has always, ALWAYS emphasised that connection to his dad. I have always argued that he has the RIGHT to, against those who say he built his career riding on his father's name - Bonzo was his FATHER. But I'm afraid that because he has been so proud of and so emphatic about that connection, comparisons are inevitable. He has invited them, really, and if they were so unfair and so unwarranted he could stop playing "Whole Lotta Love " with Foreigner and find his OWN successful music to play to us.

You know I like Jason, but really I see that as the truth.

I suppose there are really only 2 ways for him to do it and they are both extremes...he can't just downplay the connection with his Dad but still play Zeppelin.

Either he has to do what he is doing, which is keep a strong connection, or completely shun Led Zep and his father...

People deal with grief in many ways and one of those ways is to try to keep the person's legacy alive...Jason was at a very formative age when his Dad died and it obviously had a huge effect on him, as happens to many people who lose parents at that age. Bonzo was obviously a special person and a great dad.

I personally admire and respect Jason for doing it how he has - respectfully keeping his Dad's name, reputation and music alive, without cashing in.

Archived