The Album is Led Zeppelin yes, it was recorded with all four orignal members, but it was not realeased while they were all still alive, even though it is all their material it was released later as something that did not make it, so I feel that it is does not really count towards the orignal 8 albums. Even though I love the album and all the songs on it, it just doesn't feel like a whole album as it is bits and pieces of songs that didn't make the original 8 albums.

Oh and Soccerzubs, thats a great picture of Jimmy

Love it!

Haha Thanks

The Album is Led Zeppelin yes, it was recorded with all four orignal members, but it was not realeased while they were all still alive, even though it is all their material it was released later as something that did not make it, so I feel that it is does not really count towards the orignal 8 albums.

That makes no sense to me whatsoever. :blink:

I'll have to agree to disagree. ;)

I don't know. A case can be made for either point. I mean, what constitutes an "album"? To me an album is a singular statement. Intended from point one. The argument can be made that if Zeppelin hadn't ended with Bonham's untimely demise, CODA never would have happened. On the other hand, it is a Led Zeppelin album, just not the one that we'd have seen if he hadn't passed. It's really a gray area in terms of whether it's an "official" Zeppelin album. It was released as one. It's included in the Complete Studio Recordings box set (even though there are studio recordings not included in that set). So I figure they must consider it an album, by that logic. So I'll continue to side with them! :lol:

And a tidy little set it is! :D

Immigrant Song

Heartbreaker

What is and What Should Never Be

OTHAFA

Custard Pie

Trampled Underfoot

Kashmir

Wearing and Tearing

TSRTS

Rain Song

I'm Gonna Crawl

All My Love

Rock and Roll (into)

Celebration Day

Bring it on Home

The Lemon Song (medley w/WLL and D&C sections)

The Ocean

Yeah baby! :beer:

hell fuckin yes.

im so happy someone is playing im gonna crawl. that song is so under-rated... i think its because people dont generally like that album because its "too soft" but fuck, someone explained it perfectly in a differnt post: "that song makes me want to get piss drunk, weep, and throw an ex-lover out the in door"

P.S. the lemon song is under-rated as well.

awesome setlist.

I wish I was in your band.

hell fuckin yes.

im so happy someone is playing im gonna crawl. that song is so under-rated... i think its because people dont generally like that album because its "too soft" but fuck, someone explained it perfectly in a differnt post: "that song makes me want to get piss drunk, weep, and throw an ex-lover out the in door"

P.S. the lemon song is under-rated as well.

awesome setlist.

I wish I was in your band.

I'm Gonna Crawl is one of my favorite songs in our set! It's all kickback on guitar, until the solo! God I love playing that solo! It's not real hard, but it goes like hell, y'know? A real favorite! :beer:

Coda is an official Led Zeppelin album. You can tell by looking at the credits on the back where it says PRODUCED BY JIMMY PAGE & EXECUTIVE PRODUCER: PETER GRANT :D

I agree it's not an official studio album though, it's an archive album. An archive album by Led Zeppelin. :)

The name sez it all, it's a coda to their career!

Coda as a section of a movement

The presence of a coda as a structural element in a musical movement is especially clear in works written in particular musical forms. In a sonata form movement, the recapitulation section will generally follow the exposition in its thematic content, while adhering to the home key. The recapitulation often ends with a passage that sounds like a termination, paralleling the music that ended the exposition; thus any music coming after this termination will be perceived as extra material; i.e. as a coda. In works in variation form, the coda occurs following the last variation and will be very noticeable as the first music not based on the theme.

Codas were commonly used in both sonata form and variation movements during the Classical era. One of the ways that Beethoven extended and intensified Classical practice was to expand the coda sections, producing a final section sometimes of equal musical weight to the foregoing exposition, development and recapitulation sections and completing the musical argument. For one famous example, see Symphony No. 8 (Beethoven).[1]

[edit] The musical function of codas

Charles Burkhart (2005, 12) suggests that the reason codas are common, even necessary, is that in the climax of the main body of a piece a "particularly effortful passage", often an expanded phrase, is often created by the "working [of] an idea through to its structural conclusions" and that after all this momentum is created a coda is required to "look back" on the main body, allow listeners to "take it all in", and "create a sense of balance."

That's why Wearing and Tearing is the last Led Zeppelin song!

Destroyer 77 was recorded in Cleveland. B)

"Do what thou wilt" was not limited to the first pressing, but was rather lost several runs later when Atlantic went to thinner vinyl.

Mothership is a greatest hits, not an albumTo me, an album is something that documents a new effort (or in the case of PG or CODA) new material that might have been held over from a previous release. I hesitate to call Dearlene or Ozone Baby outtakes. Sometimes there isn't room on a single LP for everything that you've got and you go with what flows best as a single statement. I wouldn't call Houses of the Holy an outtake, despite the fact that it didn't fit the vibe of the album that bears its name (my opinion of course.).

And what new LP is coming out in August? Did I misread a quote taken from something else? :huh:

An outtake does not mean the song is not worth releasing…Back in the 70’s labels did not like to release multiple albums… Dam Yes Songs was a 3 album set and it cost somewhere between $15 and $20 with taxes…back in 73 this was money…so some tunes were left off for another day…and by definition it’s an outtake…

As far as Mothership is concerned…Yes it is a compilation…it will be on vinyl…not with “new tunes”… but it’s an album…thus the last…Technically…

…Engineers love to split hairs…

As far as "Do what thou wilt"…a google search and a conversation with a bud…concludes that it was on the first pressing…I know about recycled vinyl…thus a reduction in thickness could be the cause…I don’t know for sure…won’t argue the fact…I like music…but it’s not a passion…other things are…which keeps me busy…

And I stand corrected...Destroyer 77 was recorded in Cleveland...

That makes no sense to me whatsoever. :blink:

I'll have to agree to disagree. ;)

Yeah sorry about that, I mean it doesn't really count as their album, just something they released after they broke up for us to listen to, it was a compilation of their songs that were never released, the songs weren't made with the intent to put them all on an album and release them years after the band broke up. So technically speaking it doesn't count as a real album.

Yeah sorry about that, I mean it doesn't really count as their album, just something they released after they broke up for us to listen to, it was a compilation of their songs that were never released, the songs weren't made with the intent to put them all on an album and release them years after the band broke up. So technically speaking it doesn't count as a real album.

Either everyone here is very, very young or have no clue. They HAD to release Coda. They didn't have a choice. Zeppelin were under contract to produce one more album. The death of John didn't change that. So, they picked out some of thier stuff that didn't make other albums and released it to satisfy the contract so that Altantic records wouldn't sue them back to the stone age.

It really is just that simple.

What...you honestly think Zeppelin WANTED to realease that album? You GOTTA be kidding me.

Regards,

Tom

Either everyone here is very, very young or have no clue. They HAD to release Coda. They didn't have a choice. Zeppelin were under contract to produce one more album. The death of John didn't change that. So, they picked out some of thier stuff that didn't make other albums and released it to satisfy the contract so that Altantic records wouldn't sue them back to the stone age.

It really is just that simple.

What...you honestly think Zeppelin WANTED to realease that album? You GOTTA be kidding me.

Regards,

Tom

i'm over 40, tom. and i have a clue. zeppelin had a contract, yes. the death of bonham did not erase that, however they could have re-negotiated it. the beatles had just signed a new recording contract when they broke up. no stone age for them. no one even died.

did zeppelin want to release coda? no. they wanted to release an album with a very much alive john bonham. the way you put it, you make it sound like they are ashamed of it. i don't believe that. hell, with the amount of one-good-song albums released in the '80's, live 'icqyb' was worth the $7.98 i paid for it.

i wouldn't kid you, tom....

i'm over 40, tom. and i have a clue. zeppelin had a contract, yes. the death of bonham did not erase that, however they could have re-negotiated it. the beatles had just signed a new recording contract when they broke up. no stone age for them. no one even died.

did zeppelin want to release coda? no. they wanted to release an album with a very much alive john bonham. the way you put it, you make it sound like they are ashamed of it. i don't believe that. hell, with the amount of one-good-song albums released in the '80's, live 'icqyb' was worth the $7.98 i paid for it.

i wouldn't kid you, tom....

Poor Tom.

How much of PG was outtakes from other sessions? ;)

Of course, Coda counts as an album. It's not a live release. That's like saying Real Love and Free as a Bird aren't Beatles songs because Lennon was dead when they were released.

I bought the -coda album in the late 80s in the bargain bin, when i was a teenager. The album is like nostalgic now, with how i love this music. But it really never felt like a final album to me, although it covers alot that -led zeppelin was...but with the tracks from 78, it just makes it seem like it was left open in regards to the music.

there is a zeppelin sound on the first -plant album in some songs, with -the firm, there is a big drum sound, but i think page shifted in regards to the sound of those records.

Anyway, how can one not be depressed in a way, about coda, yet the album has a ton of vitality on there.

I like CODA a lot, but found I listen to it less than the other album releases.

Then I thought, if digital CD technology were available in 1969. These tracks from CODA would have fit fine on an 80 minute CD disc and more than likely would have been released when recorded.

So, I included the following songs with these album/CD titles:

Led Zep II (1969) - We're Gonna Groove

Led Zep III (1970) - Poor Tom & I Can't Quit You Baby (Rehearsal)

In Through the Out Door (1979) - Walter's Walk, Ozone Baby, Darlene, Bonzo's Montreux & Wearing and Tearing

Although Walter’s Walk was recorded during the “Houses of the Holy” sessions, Robert Plant’s vocals have the late 70’s sound. Besides, this track musically, could have fit in, on anything from HOTH through ITTOD.

I have always loved ITTOD. But with these additions, I love the flow of it even more!

Along with this, I also did the same with the extra tracks from the Box Sets.

Led Zep I (1969) - Baby Come On Home

Led Zep III (1970) - Hey Hey What Can I Do

BBC Sessions 1969-71 (1997) - White Summer/Black Mountain Side

Hope to someday obtain, the remaining basically completed tracks that I hear so much about i.e.; Sugar Mama, I want to be Her Man, Swan Song etc.

If Jimmy ever wants to repackage and/or re-release Led Zep I – ITTOD on CD’s, it might be nice for him to place each of the CODA songs on the album they would have been on, along with some of the other outtakes.

I'll start by apologizing for saying what a ridiculous question/bet this was. I will also apologize because I haven't read all the replies so this has most likely (or hopefully) been covered. Am I in Newbies section?

I believe it's been well answered that CODA does in fact "count". The posthumousness of it doesn't really lend any credence to the question.

Just to clear up any future bets, the following LED ZEPPELIN releases also count:

How The West Was Won

BBC Sessions

Song Remains The Same remastered/re-tracked

Early Days

Latter Days

Mothership

And any others I missed since some nerd will throw one out but my point should be well taken regardless.

Oh the DVD's count too. Although Bonzo was dead at the time they were released, you'll notice that he does in fact appear in the DVD's as does his drumming on the posthumous audio releases.

Fkn hell! Am I in the kiddie pool?

Archived