Wars?

ledbaby

Why are there so many wars in the world today? One theory is most are over religion. Seems countries are already divided up across the globe and one cannot enjoy the spoils of war if they win.

So why?

Your thoughts

We humans used to have big, all out wars, with defined allies and enemies. Once a surrender was won, things would settle down, like with two fighters after the bell rings. Now we have little skirmishes or police actions, that never end, with allies and enemies camoflaged within the civilian population or constantly switching sides. Kind of like posting here...

Why are there so many wars in the world today? One theory is most are over religion. Seems countries are already divided up across the globe and one cannot enjoy the spoils of war if they win.

So why?

Your thoughts

They sure seem to all be about religion, at least in the middle east. But could soon be over oil and building nukes. If or should I say when, we eventually pull out of Iraq we will see more violence in the short term. Dont know about the long term.

They sure seem to all be about religion, at least in the middle east. But could soon be over oil and building nukes. If or should I say when, we eventually pull out of Iraq we will see more violence in the short term. Dont know about the long term.

My thoughts are if we were ever to win a war in Iraq which is highly unlikely because of it's region. We would be required to go in and rebuild it. However would we be allowed to get cheaper oil or gas?

Probably not.

I think much of it has to do with the building and selling of the machinery of wars.

So why?

Your thoughts

For the most part, the worlds wars have not been fought over religion. Usually, it's just a guise for the real reason: Land and Power.

Wars are fought because we are power-hungry. Simple as that

For the most part, the worlds wars have not been fought over religion. Usually, it's just a guise for the real reason: Land and Power.

A very good point. I think much of it's profit oriented which could be seen as power oriented too. I mean who in their right minds would build billions of dollars in weapons if they weren't up for sale to be used? If we get too much machinery which is just sitting around we go start a war somewhere.

Why are there so many wars in the world today?

I don't think are as many as in times gone by. It's just that awareness and media coverage is massive.

Iraq and Afghanistan for example are actually relatively minor conflicts in the grand scope of history.

Battle Of Stalingrad killed over a million people in a few months. :o

I don't think are as many as in times gone by. It's just that awareness and media coverage is massive.

Iraq and Afghanistan for example are actually relatively minor conflicts in the grand scope of history.

Battle Of Stalingrad killed over a million people in a few months. :o

I agree. History is nothing but war with a few moments of peace.

yet again drummer you have hit the nail on the head.

but religion has a fault in conflict building all over the world, as it is a very

usefull tool to make populations follow their power hungry leaders into war.

but as a main underlying reason land and power are the two main reasons for war.

greed is a powerfull force.

Now we have little skirmishes or police actions, that never end, with allies and enemies camoflaged within the civilian population or constantly switching sides. Kind of like posting here...

:lol:

As long as there is money, there shall be wars big and small.

Man are nothing more than animals, evolution will never change that. That is my theory, lol.

I found this point of view interesting. I haven't seen anyone mention this angle so i wanted to post it:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHY IS THERE WAR?

by Serge Kahili King

People engage in war because they want to love or be loved. Although this may sound absurd at first, let's give it a closer look, because if we can understand the motivation for war then we might be able to redirect it.

The most fundamental human need is to be accepted, and the most fundamental fear is to be rejected. The old idea that survival comes first just doesn't hold up in the light of experience because it doesn't account for those who risk their lives for others, even strangers, and for those who commit suicide. And the fear of death is the fear of the ultimate rejection: by life itself.

Acceptance can be sought from oneself, one's environment (including people), or one's God, and many different strategies are used to ensure acceptance. If these strategies are pursued without fear, including fear-based anger, the result will be peace and cooperation. But as the fear of possible rejection increases, so does the tendency to seek acceptance by control or submission. Then the result is emotional represion, social suppression, and the use of violence to prove one's power or to make others accept one whether they want to or not.

In the case of war, the leaders who make the major decisions set standards to judge behavior by the "other side" as acceptable or unacceptable, motivated by their personal or group standards of self acceptance or acceptance from those around them. And those who obey the orders to march off to death and destruction are motivated by the desire to be accepted by doing "the right thing" or the fear of being rejected, and/or punished, for not doing it. What's so sad is that the fundamental intention is so good.

The "glory" of war lies in the experience of incredible bravery, intense companionship, demonstrations of skill, the overcoming of limitations, succesfully protecting one's country or loved ones, and the adulation for the winners. Yet, until we find a better way to satisfy the need for acceptance and the desire for real power, people will continue to go to war out of love.

Our great challenge, therefore, is not just to end war, but also to develop alternatives to war which still provide the benefits that only very intense experiences can generate, as well as satisfying the need for love.

http://www.huna.org/html/whywar.html

yet again drummer you have hit the nail on the head.

but religion has a fault in conflict building all over the world, as it is a very

usefull tool to make populations follow their power hungry leaders into war.

but as a main underlying reason land and power are the two main reasons for war.

greed is a powerfull force.

I agree 100% Star. Methinks that leaders use religion to mainpulate the masses, while their underlying intentions are money, power, etc. Rarely, in terms of human history anyways, has a leader been purely to go to war over religion. People who disagree bring up the Crusades, the Jihads, and a few other events. Those handful of events pale in comparison to the number of wars that have been fought in history.

Power and Greed. Simple as that.

If we were really power hungry like Hitler was, we would go in and take the damn oil as we have spent so much on this war already. But if we were to reap any benefits, we would be looked upon as bad guys even by our closest allies I believe. My local gas station raised the price of gas three times today! I have never, I mean NEVER seen them change the price during the day. Always the next morning. Time to hit the panic button Im afraid. What are we going to do? I think the idea of electric cars taking people to work within a 20-30 mile distance might be a good idea.

So why?

Your thoughts

There are wars because of pure GREED AT THE EXPENSE OF COUNTLESS INNOCENT PEOPLE BEING BURNED,BUTCHERED.ETC. All in the name of patriotism. Of course I'm speaking of Iraq.

Though some of this is debatable and some call it conspiracy non sense, there definately lies some truth as to how the Federal Reserve came to power at the detriment of the American people, most of which began long before anyone on this board were born. The IRS theory may not be completely true but the way our monitary system works is very true and very scary. For those that may still not realise it

the Federal Reserve Bank is a "PRIVATE" entity and has nothing to do with the Federal Government. Watch the clip an post you're views. This is History.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ueEfRXZCVA

There are wars because of pure GREED AT THE EXPENSE OF COUNTLESS INNOCENT PEOPLE BEING BURNED,BUTCHERED.ETC. All in the name of patriotism. Of course I'm speaking of Iraq.

Wow, thanks for the insight. So when were you over there and where were you?

And I would imagine if a country leader threatened to kill another American president or support terrorism like 9-11 we would be going to kick some more ass. As far as Iraq goes it was part of my point on this topic. We could win this war easily enough, however the U.N would have major issues with it and we really wouldn't get away with useing it for oil or whatever. 200 years ago a country would just be taken over and the spoils would become the "winners."

Ex: If you were to kick someone ass would you pay for his dry cleaning and nose bleed?

There was actually a study done which found that we are at the most peaceful time in history since WWII. Because there is so much media around Iraq and Afghanistan, it appears as though there is a lot going on, but in fact places like Africa, Asia and the Middle East are more peaceful than in previous times.

So why?

Your thoughts

Because there wasn't anything entertaining to watch on Tuesday evenings.

It's all the fault of that writers' strike. Blame Hollywood... we blame it for everything else, so why not... :D

There was actually a study done which found that we are at the most peaceful time in history since WWII. Because there is so much media around Iraq and Afghanistan, it appears as though there is a lot going on, but in fact places like Africa, Asia and the Middle East are more peaceful than in previous times.

I would not disagree with that at all.

a song that always comes to mind when the war topic arises...

UNIVERSAL SOLDIER

Buffy Sainte-Marie

© Caleb Music-ASCAP

I wrote "Universal Soldier" in the basement of The Purple Onion coffee house in Toronto in the early sixties. It's about individual responsibility for war and how the old feudal thinking kills us all. Donovan had a hit with it in 1965.

He's five feet two and he's six feet four

He fights with missiles and with spears

He's all of 31 and he's only 17

He's been a soldier for a thousand years

He's a Catholic, a Hindu, an atheist, a Jain,

a Buddhist and a Baptist and a Jew

and he knows he shouldn't kill

and he knows he always will

kill you for me my friend and me for you

And he's fighting for Canada,

he's fighting for France,

he's fighting for the USA,

and he's fighting for the Russians

and he's fighting for Japan,

and he thinks we'll put an end to war this way

And he's fighting for Democracy

and fighting for the Reds

He says it's for the peace of all

He's the one who must decide

who's to live and who's to die

and he never sees the writing on the walls

But without him how would Hitler have

condemned him at Dachau

Without him Caesar would have stood alone

He's the one who gives his body

as a weapon to a war

and without him all this killing can't go on

He's the universal soldier and he

really is to blame

His orders come from far away no more

They come from him, and you, and me

and brothers can't you see

this is not the way we put an end to war.

Archived