Gustav

Hotplant

My thoughts and prayers go out to our friends in Louisiana. Dlzdoc, Alwizard, RO, and others, be safe.

It is mind blowing, on the three year anniversary of Katrina.

From what I've seen, people are not taking chances today, getting out of dodge.

Now we will see if the Army Engineers "improvement" on the levee's will hold.

This is scary/spooky.

I was thinking about everyone on the list from that area today also. I sure everyone is safe and out the area. If you are able to, please check in if you can! It is so sad that this is happening again. It sounds like they have more arrangements in place and mass transit to get people out by bus, train and airplanes that do not have transportation means and they are able to take their pets with them this time. Prayers going out to all from that area.

well, we decided to stay. i stayed through katrina and lived on my driveway for 3 weeks. water, gas, food, ice, generator-check.

busy day, made sure my family was bolted down. looks like it will be slightly to the west of us (my god!)but these things tend to jog at the last minute. yikes!

mississippi has really shown me the true character after the last storm. the rebuilding, the work, the volunteerism....it was incredible to see and be a part of.

that said, i'm dead chuffed with all of it. everything but the beach has come back, but the abandoned pet problem has been enormous! and it looks like it will be more of the same.

some people abandon pets that aren't even spayed or neutuered, the the neighborhoods are overwhemed with litters. we've had to place close to 100 cats and several dogs the past 2 1/2 years.

it is a damn shame. and i'm not sure what the solution is-other than include them in the evacuation plan. hard to do when you run to a hotel that doesn't accept pets. the only hotels that do in this state are on the coast.

all said, i hope my fellow ledheds in southern louisiana and texas are safe and well.....

good luck and God bless.

NBC News and news services

updated 33 minutes ago

HAVANA - Gustav slammed into Cuba's tobacco-growing western tip as a monstrous Category 4 hurricane Saturday while both Cubans and Americans scrambled to flee the storm as it roared toward the oil-rich Gulf of Mexico and New Orleans.

Forecasters said Gustav was just short of becoming a top-scale Category 5 hurricane as it hit Cuba's mainland after roaring over its Isla de Juventud province, where it toppled telephone poles, mango and almond trees and peeled back the tin roofs of homes.

Isla de Juventud civil defense chief Ana Isla said there were "many people injured" on the island south of mainland Cuba, but no reports of deaths. She said nearly all its roads were washed out and that some regions were heavily flooded.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26451955/

They're trying to make sure that all the places designated for evacuees here make provision for people's animals--I think not just because of the abandoned-pet problem beatbo just described, but also its opposite, the number of people who refused to evacuate last time because they didn't want to leave their pets (understandably, IMO). I hope that all works out better than last time.

We'll all be thinking of you, beatbo, and everybody else who stays.

Well the ex and my son went to tennessee, I'm staying with my parents at their house.

It's eerly calm right now even the mosquitos aren't biting :unsure: I'll send back reports as long as I can. Gotta bad feeling about this!

Well the ex and my son went to tennessee, I'm staying with my parents at their house.

It's eerly calm right now even the mosquitos aren't biting :unsure: I'll send back reports as long as I can. Gotta bad feeling about this!

Be safe honey!!

P.S. I would be one of those people that could NEVER abandon their pets...I'm sorry but they'd be coming with me no matter what!

My prayers, thoughts, and best wishes to everyone here who lives within the path of Gustav. I know that some of you have already evacuated and I hope you and your loved ones have arrived safely at your destination.

I hope that you and your parents are safe. I have a queasy sick feeling about this hurricane. So many of the towns and cities around here, large and small, urban and rural, including my own, are prepared, as we were three years ago, to welcome evacuees. Take care.

Be cool my man. Don't hesitate to ask for anything.

g'luck, doc. it is eerily calm. just walked back from the beach. turned the t.v. on to see the mayor of new orleans order everyone out. don't see that everyday!

i ain't likin' this , either...

thanks, evryone for the good wishes.

g'luck, doc. it is eerily calm. just walked back from the beach. turned the t.v. on to see the mayor of new orleans order everyone out. don't see that everyday!

i ain't likin' this , either...

thanks, evryone for the good wishes.

Beatbo and Doc...you guys gotta get in your cars and head north...please!!!

All of our prayers to you!!

Just have a sec here, but had to check on you all in the path.

Oh, and sorry Aqua, and beat-bo, You just slipped my mind. We have a bunch of ledheads down there and Houston too, so please, please, get out of the path you guys.

I would never leave my pets either, they are family. On those buses they were allowing pets.

Texas I-10 is clogged. I hope they hurry up and open the whole highway to get everyone out.

I'm heading to our mountains for a thunderous Dylan concert. B)

BE Careful!!!!!!

Archived