JIMMY CONSIDERING ROCK HALL OF FAME EVENT

SteveAJones

After watching the performance i felt Jimmy conducted himself in a respectful manner.To me this was a time for Jeff and Kirk to display there skills, which they both did with great skill.Not Jimmys to be self indulgent. Funny no one has mentioned the fact that Ronnie also did not break into a solo.Lastly on this point aside from the "strap malfunction" no one has mentioned the fact that after Jimmy was repaired of this problem it seems that Jeff turns his back to the crowd and puts his hands in the air. He walks tothe back of the stage which leads me to believe that there may have been more of a tech issue than just the strap.There may have been a sound or amp problem. Just a thought.To close i would just like to say that there seems to be alot of speculation on this forum as to weather Page is still capable of soloing. I say first off that Jimmy is not as active as the other players that were with him on this night and really has only played one full concert in a year and a half. They say use it or lose it and i think Jimmy is just starting to get back into form. His "soloing" at the O2 and with the Foo Fighters was very impressive and should stand as a testament to his current abiltys.Or in other words to tell all the critics to shut the fuck up.

Cav

I think I first saw Tal when she appeared with Beck at one of Clapton's Crossroads festivals.

As for the tuxes, I think it was Ray Davies at one of the first televised induction ceremonies that said, "when did rock n' roll become respectable?"

It would be interesting to know if Page was actually supposed to take a solo since they did rehearse the day before. Though it's possible it was the case, I really don't think a jam is a moment when he (or anyone for that matter) would feel compelled to stand down because they felt it was someone else's night. Like someone else mentioned, it was a "jam" afterall. I wasn't disappointed in the least and really enjoyed it but I kind of was expecting Page to jump in at any moment since that's usually what happens during the grand finales.

That's correct Jahfin, it was "Jam", and was --not-- a "pissing" contest. Remember the "We Are The World" All-Star jam of artists ? They sung "together", and, they each, sung a "line".

Well, when it came time for Jimmy to "play his line" -- NOthing..

--------------------------------------------

In response to what others have said:

Can you imagine if an artist just stood there with everyone turned to their direction, and just did nothing ?

Very simply put, Jimmy was supposed to lay out a few licks..... but he did not. The exact reason is known to Jimmy.

Guitar straps coming off, the pervasive feedback at the O2 show.... What's going on Here ! !

And as for age..... and moving around.....

1. Page did quite well, I remember, sitting on a stool, for various Zeppelin numbers during the '77 and earlier tours.... no duckwalks there !

2. Stop using age as some kind of crutch ! ! ! ! ! !

Jimmy did fine at the O2.

Have you ever heard of Chuck Berry ? ? ?

How about B B King ? ?

And Les Paul ? ? ?

THEY are still performimg, the last I heard . . . . . .

JPP

A film by Oliver Stone. Starring Kevin Costner. In theaters everywhere this summer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q-bDLa3h4Q

"Beck's solo rings out. Sounding like The Yardbirds, it excludes Jimmy completely. Frame 161, Jimmy stops playing as he hears something. Perry's head turns slightly to the right.

Frame 193, Hammett's solo hits Jimmy's ears. Frame 225, the roadie emerging from behind

the curtain. You can see that he's obviously got a guitar strap issue, raising his arms.

The Perry solo, frame 232. The roadie grabs Jimmy's guitar, pulling him downward and forward. Perry you will notice shows no signs at all of being ready to quit. He is visibly

holding his pic, which is impossible if he was done playing. Perry is turning here now. Frame 238. The final notes of his solo. It concludes as Jimmy straightens his back. This

is the moment that proves there was an opportunity for Jimmy to solo. Perry looks again

at Page. Somewhere around this time now another note is played. It's buried in the mix completely, and heard only by those in the first few rows. There is a slight break. The

final chance for Page to solo, frame 313. This is the key moment. Jimmy going back and

to his left. Again, back and to the left. Back and to the left."

oh man, your a stitch, aren't you?! java script:add_smilie(":lol:","smid_8")

So.. who killed the solo? java script:add_smilie("B)","smid_9")

these all text emoticons are missing the mark

Edited by rokarolla

<They say use it or lose it and i think Jimmy is just starting to get back into form. His "soloing" at the O2 and with the Foo Fighters was very impressive and should stand as a testament to his current abilities. Or in other words to tell all the critics to shut the fuck up. -Cav>

His solo with the Foo Fighters wasn't very good at all. What are you talking about? It's nice to see him play and look great, but if his fans and his peers don't hold him accountable, he will muddle through. As for all his critics shutting the fuck up, I can only speak for myself. I'll be complaining when it suits me.

Edited by rokarolla

It was great to stay up late and enjoy the entire concert. Wow! JP w/ Jeff Beck and his band were a highlight. Metallica with Jason Newsted was very cool, too. David Letterman's band are always incredible musicians, too. They can play anything (and do it well). :)

R B)

For whatever reason it did not happen. You can't always get what you want huh? :D

During Jeff's solo performance, Page did what he was supposed to do. Play the 12 string part just like he did when Bolero was first recorded. I think Beck did PAGE a huge solid by finally acknowleging Page's part in the infamous Bolero saga and by them laying into the IS riff. That's what friends are for. During the ALL STAR JAM...it is my contention that Page was certainly supposed to take a solo, I mean, it dosen't take a brain surgeon to see everyone step back after their turns and turn towards Page ( not as a band leader...as a solo-ist ) but fate had her way with Mr. Page. Just seconds before that moment, the strap on Jeff Beck's white Les Paul - which Jimmy borrowed - went and JP's long time tech Lionall Ward had just re-attached it, so Jimmy was in an awkward position..out of synch and play a sub par solo or just let it ride? He did the right thing...it was just not the night. So mote it be.

As far as Jimmy doing anything more in the states...nope, he's already on a plane heading back to London.

My son, who is the huge Metallica fan and who was at the show, said that Jeff's performance and playing was the best of the entire night.

I loved Jeff's playing on Immigrant Song - very wild & creative. "Totally, completely unorthodox" as Mr. Page said. :)

Nice to see the love for Jimmy - he got an standing ovation when he walked out. Also adorable to see some reaction shots from Jeff while Jimmy was praising him. When JP contrasted Jeff's guitar playing with those of "us mere mortals" Jeff doubled up and was out of camera range for awhile.

Did anyone else think the audio on the program was a little dodgy, like it couldn't handle the volume of Beck and Metallica? I noticed it particularly during Jeff's performance, like some kind of limiter was on: as soon as the volume would build, the levels would get knocked down again. Maybe it was my crap television set though, it's very old.

Edited by FireOpal

Did anyone else think the audio on the program was a little dodgy, like it couldn't handle the volume of Beck and Metallica? I noticed it particularly during Jeff's performance, like some kind of limiter was on: as soon as the volume would build, the levels would get knocked down again. Maybe it was my crap television set though, it's very old.

No, it wasn't your tele... I thought it was just the way the feed was, but I had to watch the program with remote in hand because the volume was constantly changing. It really sucked when they went to commercials. Some lady trying to sell me ( a male) tampons at Motorhead volume is not what one needs at midnight on a Saturday evening...

During Jeff's solo performance, Page did what he was supposed to do. Play the 12 string part just like he did when Bolero was first recorded. I think Beck did PAGE a huge solid by finally acknowleging Page's part in the infamous Bolero saga and by them laying into the IS riff. That's what friends are for. During the ALL STAR JAM...it is my contention that Page was certainly supposed to take a solo, I mean, it dosen't take a brain surgeon to see everyone step back after their turns and turn towards Page ( not as a band leader...as a solo-ist ) but fate had her way with Mr. Page. Just seconds before that moment, the strap on Jeff Beck's white Les Paul - which Jimmy borrowed - went and JP's long time tech Lionall Ward had just re-attached it, so Jimmy was in an awkward position..out of synch and play a sub par solo or just let it ride? He did the right thing...it was just not the night. So mote it be.

As far as Jimmy doing anything more in the states...nope, he's already on a plane heading back to London.

Yes! Very nicely summarized. Ummm, thanks for the Jimmy location update...I guess :(

No, it wasn't your tele... I thought it was just the way the feed was, but I had to watch the program with remote in hand because the volume was constantly changing. It really sucked when they went to commercials. Some lady trying to sell me ( a male) tampons at Motorhead volume is not what one needs at midnight on a Saturday evening...

:hysterical:

I wonder who did the demographics for the tampon company. :rolleyes: Condoms probably would have been a better bet.

JPP

A film by Oliver Stone. Starring Kevin Costner. In theaters everywhere this summer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q-bDLa3h4Q

"Beck's solo rings out. Sounding like The Yardbirds, it excludes Jimmy completely. Frame 161, Jimmy stops playing as he hears something. Perry's head turns slightly to the right.

Frame 193, Hammett's solo hits Jimmy's ears. Frame 225, the roadie emerging from behind

the curtain. You can see that he's obviously got a guitar strap issue, raising his arms.

The Perry solo, frame 232. The roadie grabs Jimmy's guitar, pulling him downward and forward. Perry you will notice shows no signs at all of being ready to quit. He is visibly

holding his pic, which is impossible if he was done playing. Perry is turning here now. Frame 238. The final notes of his solo. It concludes as Jimmy straightens his back. This

is the moment that proves there was an opportunity for Jimmy to solo. Perry looks again

at Page. Somewhere around this time now another note is played. It's buried in the mix completely, and heard only by those in the first few rows. There is a slight break. The

final chance for Page to solo, frame 313. This is the key moment. Jimmy going back and

to his left. Again, back and to the left. Back and to the left."

:lol:

And we should move to the Zeppelin Mysteries thread: What happened with the Guitar strap, did something happen to the guitar? Did evil powers cause it? :D

As I understand it there was a problem with the strap. Regardless, I'm fairly certain Jimmy will discuss the jam further during upcoming interviews.

It would be interesting to know if Page was actually supposed to take a solo since they did rehearse the day before. Though it's possible it was the case, I really don't think a jam is a moment when he (or anyone for that matter) would feel compelled to stand down because they felt it was someone else's night. Like someone else mentioned, it was a "jam" afterall. I wasn't disappointed in the least and really enjoyed it but I kind of was expecting Page to jump in at any moment since that's usually what happens during the grand finales.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, since I enjoyed it too, and it did seem that they might have been expecting Jimmy to solo. However, I think it could only have been called a jam in the loosest possible sense of the word, given that it was apparently rehearsed down to who solos when and for how long.

Much better audio on this link from Billboard than there is on the Cleveland.com link -- better camera angle too.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/jimmy-...003959007.story

Did they change it or am I missing summink - the clip I get (and thank you for it!) are pre and post-performance interviews with Jimmy 'n Jeff.

I'm not ungrateful, but it would be cool to find non-Fuse video so as to avoid the Jack-in-the-Box ads that popped up during Jeff's performance!

I'm not ungrateful, but it would be cool to find non-Fuse video so as to avoid the Jack-in-the-Box ads that popped up during Jeff's performance!

I've seen the Fuse coverage and I must say the editing and overall presentation leaves much to be desired. They cut away for commercials at some of the most inopportune times and rolled obtrusive text scripts across the screen during some performances. Neither host seemed comfortable in their role; everything they said came across

as staid and obligatory. Contrast this to Robert Townsend during the Atlantic 40th Records Anniversary, who was so engaging.

There are audio drop outs in evidence, and it seems to me the first really noticable

one occured during the Page/Beck performance. I immediately recalled Jimmy stating

whomever had done the Live Aid audio feed for television should be strung up by their balls, and thought to myself this is equally disappointing.

Edited by SteveAJones

Did they change it or am I missing summink - the clip I get (and thank you for it!) are pre and post-performance interviews with Jimmy 'n Jeff.

No change - those were video interview links. What I was looking for (in vain) was video of Jimmy and Jeff during the induction. All that seems to be available is the audio that was posted at youtube. I haven't seen non Jack-in-the-Box versions of the performances either, just the ones that were posted earlier in this thread.

I've seen the Fuse coverage and I must say the editing and overall presentation leaves much to be desired. They cut away for commercials at some of the most inopportune times and rolled obtrusive text scripts across the screen during some performances. Neither host seemed comfortable in their role; everything they said came across

as staid and obligatory. Contrast this to Robert Townsend during the Atlantic 40th Records Anniversary, who was so engaging.

There are audio drop outs in evidence, and it seems to me the first really noticable

one occured during the Page/Beck performance. I immediately recalled Jimmy stating

whomever had done the Live Aid audio feed for television should be strung up by their balls, and thought to myself this is equally disappointing.

Townsend was rather entertaining that night :)

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, since I enjoyed it too, and it did seem that they might have been expecting Jimmy to solo. However, I think it could only have been called a jam in the loosest possible sense of the word, given that it was apparently rehearsed down to who solos when and for how long.

Very true but even though it was rehearsed I still think of it as a "jam" since it was the end of the night finale where all the musicians that were honored that evening (and some that weren't) got onstage to perform with one another. As far as rehearsals go, I'm not sure what all goes into that but I would think (especially judging by Rock n' Roll Hall Fame grande finale jams of the past) that at least some room was left for improvisation. As has been mentioned, perhaps Page will address what went wrong (if indeed it did) in upcoming interviews about the induction ceremonies. It could all very well come down to a technical glitch throwing everything off.

As for the complaints about sound quality in general, live (and otherwise) music broadcasts over television have always suffered in this regard.

I had no issue with the way Jimmy played during Jeff's set. I had no issue with the way he played during the finale jam either, other than not taking his solo. Strapped in, rehearsed, and totally comfortable with the song at hand, our boy for whatever reason, took a back seat. It's done, not a big deal, but lets call a spade a spade. Like I said, excuses of age, straps, leaning back and let others take the limelight during there night, were exactly that. Excuses.

I think maybe we need a new word for that sort of performance!

I know exactly what you mean but even though they rehearsed it was still live and anything could happen. And it did, even if it was just Page's strap coming loose. No amount of planning and rehearsal can stop the inevitable from occurring once you get up in front of a live audience.

A new audience video has surfaced and supplements the Zapruder film shown on Fuse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vFB5L5d_qY

Jimmy either identifies a problem or purposefully steps on an effects pedal at 1:52.

Lionell comes to his aid at 3:15.

Edited to add reference to an effects pedal, which I cannot see conclusively but he is

known to use during live performances of this song.

Edited by SteveAJones

MrZoso... I dare you...double dare you to say that to Jimmy's face.

Noone cares for talkers....

WTF are you talking about? I am talking to the people here who are making excuses. Jimmy will give you a straight answer, and whatever it is, it will be excepted. Even if it's a poor excuse. On the subject of talkers...Have a look in the mirror.