What one song would you choose for Led Zeppelin to be remembered by ?

If you had to pick just one Led Zeppelin song that was officially released, for the band to be remembered by, what song would you pick? It can, of course be any audio recording, whether live, studio, or otherwise... including audio from officially released Video.

So maybe your choice would go in a Time Capsule, or on a recording to be sent out into deep space. But there's ONLY the availability for just one song, no matter the length of the song.

My choice would be the 1973 live version of "Dazed And Confused" from NYC-MSG, as released in 1976, with TSRTS soundtrack.

I choose that recording over WLL, STH, HB, and even Kashmir. As for Kashmir, there just weren't enough live versions released. I count the audio of any video officially released as well. The O2 is very very good. But, since it does not have John Bonham, I cannot pick that version to represent the one song for the band Led Zeppelin to be remembered by. It would definitely be in the Top 10.... but then, this thread is about "The One Song" and not the top 3 or the top 5, etc...

So, what is the ONE song you would choose for Led Zeppelin to be remembered by?

How Many More Times, RAH - IF the "one song" was audio and visual. It showed them near the start, with overflowing confidence and masterful improvising and exploring. Professionally filmed with great audio which covers all members very well (JPJ especially). It shows a band with so much potential, and when you see that, you just know they were going to go on to much bigger and better things. So much damn talent even at the start.

Just imagine those few lucky buggers down front, up against the stage, witnessing that!

3 hours ago, rm2551 said:

How Many More Times, RAH - IF the "one song" was audio and visual. It showed them near the start, with overflowing confidence and masterful improvising and exploring. Professionally filmed with great audio which covers all members very well (JPJ especially). It shows a band with so much potential, and when you see that, you just know they were going to go on to much bigger and better things. So much damn talent even at the start.

Just imagine those few lucky buggers down front, up against the stage, witnessing that!

And what if it was just audio (the theme of this thread), would it be the same song??

1 hour ago, The Rover said:

And what if it was just audio (the theme of this thread), would it be the same song??

A very difficult question. It is basically, what's your favourite released track? (well, close) And that my friend, has an ever evolving answer.

Ten Years Gone from Physical Graffiti quickly comes to mind as does In My Time of Dying, For Your Life, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, Trampled Underfoot from the DVD (Audio only, still is up there). Since I've Been Loving You from TSRTS, the list just goes on. And on...

So I don't rightly know.

Easily Achilles Last Stand from the first Knebworth show.

Each member is on fire and the fill Bonzo plays after Jimmy’s solo is fucking sensational, not to mention Robert’s strong voice and of course Jonesy’s unusually prominent bass riffage.

It has to be No Quarter from the original 1976 soundtrack, with Jimmy`s mesmerizing solo intro intact.

Soundwise. I`d prefer the 2007/2008  TSRTS remasters anytime, but sadly there is no solo intro- I`ll never understand JP`s decision!

If it has to be officially released I would say Over the Hills from HTWWW remastered.  Here is something I wrote about it recently in the HTWWW thread.

I am reaching the conclusion that Over the Hills on this new HTWWW is one of the most exciting recordings of Zeppelin I have ever heard.  I can't imagine what it must have been like to see one of those 1972 shows where this incredible song was debuted.  That beautiful guitar-only pastoral opening, Plant enters in a beautiful voice, Page picks up steam, and then what a blast off with Plant managing to go sky high over the all-out bulldozer assault.  So much power and energy.  It is still impressive to this day although we have all heard the song many many times.  It is still so captivating, and well, electrifying.  You know that blast off is approaching and it still packs a wallop. 

In addition it is such a great composition, with wonderful lyrics, shifts of mood and tempo, great melody, and many musical ideas.  I know the studio version has the acoustic guitar and the keyboard coda, but I prefer this live version with more power and energy, and without the guitar effects in the solos.

If it can be an unofficial release my first choice would really be TSRTS from June 21, 1977.  So much energy, such dynamics, the performance is on the edge and bursting at the seams.   It was the summer solstice, Zeppelin had just finished conquering the midwest and east coast on their biggest, most outrageous tour ever.  They were at the peak of their popularity.  Fans were ravenous for Zeppelin, having  waited two years after their biggest album ever, and a whole year after Presence which had two major blockbuster tracks in Achilles and Nobody's Fault.  As far as I can tell, Zeppelin were never more popular, at least in the US, than the summer of 1977.  The anticipation and electricity are evident in hearing the audience go nuts before the show, when the first drum kicks hit, when Jimmy blasts a few jolts of guitar, then the lights come on and the place goes bonkers.  It is the most amazing concert opening ever - majestic, heavy, raucous, electrifying, dancing on the edge of a complete breakdown, such incredible power and energy from everyone.  As Page would say, dancing on the precipice, and tight but loose.   Plant was back - much better than in 1975 or even 1973.  It was the biggest moment in their history - opening a 6 night stint at the Forum.  In many ways, in terms of energy, enthusiasm, and power,  they were at a peak.  And the song itself is such a unique construction, with so much joy and positive energy.  A joyous message for all.  Just incredible.  It speaks volumes.

On 05/28/2018 at 8:42 PM, The Rover said:

If you had to pick just one Led Zeppelin song that was officially released, for the band to be remembered by, what song would you pick? It can, of course be any audio recording, whether live, studio, or otherwise... including audio from officially released Video.

So maybe your choice would go in a Time Capsule, or on a recording to be sent out into deep space. But there's ONLY the availability for just one song, no matter the length of the song.

My choice would be the 1973 live version of "Dazed And Confused" from NYC-MSG, as released in 1976, with TSRTS soundtrack.

I choose that recording over WLL, STH, HB, and even Kashmir. As for Kashmir, there just weren't enough live versions released. I count the audio of any video officially released as well. The O2 is very very good. But, since it does not have John Bonham, I cannot pick that version to represent the one song for the band Led Zeppelin to be remembered by. It would definitely be in the Top 10.... but then, this thread is about "The One Song" and not the top 3 or the top 5, etc...

I remember the band licensing rock and roll in a nostalgic car commercial for millions of pounds. That was before the 2007 concert I believe. Personally, I think the band can't be singularly defined with one song.

19 hours ago, John M said:

If it can be an unofficial release my first choice would really be TSRTS from June 21, 1977.  So much energy, such dynamics, the performance is on the edge and bursting at the seams.   It was the summer solstice, Zeppelin had just finished conquering the midwest and east coast on their biggest, most outrageous tour ever.  They were at the peak of their popularity.  Fans were ravenous for Zeppelin, having  waited two years after their biggest album ever, and a whole year after Presence which had two major blockbuster tracks in Achilles and Nobody's Fault.  As far as I can tell, Zeppelin were never more popular, at least in the US, than the summer of 1977.  The anticipation and electricity are evident in hearing the audience go nuts before the show, when the first drum kicks hit, when Jimmy blasts a few jolts of guitar, then the lights come on and the place goes bonkers.  It is the most amazing concert opening ever - majestic, heavy, raucous, electrifying, dancing on the edge of a complete breakdown, such incredible power and energy from everyone.  As Page would say, dancing on the precipice, and tight but loose.   Plant was back - much better than in 1975 or even 1973.  It was the biggest moment in their history - opening a 6 night stint at the Forum.  In many ways, in terms of energy, enthusiasm, and power,  they were at a peak.  And the song itself is such a unique construction, with so much joy and positive energy.  A joyous message for all.  Just incredible.  It speaks volumes.

I love the '77 opener!!!! In fact, when I listen to TSRTS from the soundtrack of TSRTS, I ALWAYS recall and visually imagine the '77 performances, and not any other year's performance.

IF I could magically have a worthy recording of what I experienced in Ft. Worth on the night of April 22nd, 1977, with Led Zeppelin's transcendent performance of "Kashmir," then that, would be the recording I would have chosen, over the 1973 "D&C," for the purpose of this thread.

10 hours ago, strombringer101 said:

If I had to choose just one Led Zeppelin song. 

I would have to choose the song that started the industrial revolution. When The Levee Breaks.  

Today I agree with this^^^

On 5/30/2018 at 7:00 AM, Zepfan2001 said:

I remember the band licensing rock and roll in a nostalgic car commercial for millions of pounds. That was before the 2007 concert I believe. Personally, I think the band can't be singularly defined with one song.

I think that, if they could have been professionally recorded, that any of the best liver versions of "Kashmir" from the 1977 Tour could stand as defining Led Zeppelin for all time.

3 hours ago, The Rover said:

I think that, if they could have been professionally recorded, that any of the best liver versions of "Kashmir" from the 1977 Tour could stand as defining Led Zeppelin for all time.

I think most fans would say Kashmir. I see Zeppelin as a full-length experience where the show would be ultimately their legacy.

I'm gonna have to go with Since I've Been Loving You on LZIII.  It encapsulates what the band's original attack was all about.  They are just about to reach their peak and I believe this was the precursor to STH with the dynamic of light and shade. The soft beginnings leading way to an explosion of sonic extremes heightened by these masters of their craft.  I always felt that this was Robert Plant at his best. This was always a crowd pleaser and the band almost always nailed it.  Plus I love that you can hear Bonzo's squeaky foot pedal.  

"In the Light". 

For those that reads this:

YouTube, Google or put on Physical Graffiti and really listen to this song. 

"In the Light" is the most Profound Song ever Created by any Musicians in the History of recorded Music. 

"In the Light You will find the Road...".

14 hours ago, kingzoso said:

"In the Light". 

For those that reads this:

YouTube, Google or put on Physical Graffiti and really listen to this song. 

"In the Light" is the most Profound Song ever Created by any Musicians in the History of recorded Music. 

"In the Light You will find the Road...".

When I was in college, in the mid-seventies, a late-night favorite pastime, was to put on Side 3 of Physical Graffiti, with the headphones on, and enjoy..

When the Levee Breaks, its got everything.  Harmonica/Bass/Guitar/Vocals/Drums/Keys.  Its that or Whole Lotta Love.  The question for me is what each band does well.  If this was Aerosmith-Sweet Emotion.  Heart-Magic Man.  AC/DC-Sin City.  Van Halen-Jamie's Crying.  Journey-Wheel in the Sky.  Hendrix-Manic Depression.  The Doors-Riders of the Storm.

• 2 months later...

For me it has to be live version of TSRTS from MSG-this has everything that Zeppelin was about. Jimmy is on fire -plays like he’s possessed, rock solid rhythm section and brilliant vocals. A close second to this would be Achilles from Knebworth 4th show -especially since I was there !

On 5/29/2018 at 4:42 AM, The Rover said:

That would have to be somewhere up there with the best. I think JP achieves in that one track what most guitarists have failed to achieve in a lifetime, and the climax of the violin bow is one of the most incredible moments in music..... but for me it would have to be the studio version of Kashmir, not because it was representative of Zep, but more that it was one of their greatest achievements. 

Archived