R.I.P. Les Paul

trm989

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=425984&GT1=28102

Guitar legend Les Paul dies at age 94

Aug. 13, 2009, 11:17 AM EST

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (AP) -- Les Paul, the guitarist and inventor who changed the course of music with the electric guitar and multitrack recording and had a string of hits, many with wife Mary Ford, died on Thursday. He was 94.

According to Gibson Guitar, Paul died of complications from pneumonia at White Plains Hospital. His family and friends were by his side.

He had been hospitalized in February 2006 when he learned he won two Grammys for an album he released after his 90th birthday, "Les Paul & Friends: American Made, World Played."

"I feel like a condemned building with a new flagpole on it," he joked.

As an inventor, Paul helped bring about the rise of rock 'n' roll and multitrack recording, which enables artists to record different instruments at different times, sing harmony with themselves, and then carefully balance the "tracks" in the finished recording.

With Ford, his wife from 1949 to 1962, he earned 36 gold records and 11 No. 1 pop hits, including "Vaya Con Dios," "How High the Moon," "Nola" and "Lover." Many of their songs used overdubbing techniques that Paul the inventor had helped develop.

"I could take my Mary and make her three, six, nine, 12, as many voices as I wished," he recalled. "This is quite an asset." The overdubbing technique was highly influential on later recording artists such as the Carpenters.

The use of electric guitar gained popularity in the mid-to-late 1940s, and then exploded with the advent of rock the 1950s.

"Suddenly, it was recognized that power was a very important part of music," Paul once said. "To have the dynamics, to have the way of expressing yourself beyond the normal limits of an unamplified instrument, was incredible. Today a guy wouldn't think of singing a song on a stage without a microphone and a sound system."

A tinkerer and musician since childhood, he experimented with guitar amplification for years before coming up in 1941 with what he called "The Log," a four-by-four piece of wood strung with steel strings.

"I went into a nightclub and played it. Of course, everybody had me labeled as a nut." He later put the wooden wings onto the body to give it a tradition guitar shape.

In 1952, Gibson Guitars began production on the Les Paul guitar.

Pete Townsend of The Who, Steve Howe of Yes, jazz great Al DiMeola and Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page all made the Gibson Les Paul their trademark six-string.

Over the years, the Les Paul series has become one of the most widely used guitars in the music industry. In 2005, Christie's auction house sold a 1955 Gibson Les Paul for $45,600.

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (AP) -- Les Paul, the guitarist and inventor who changed the course of music with the electric guitar and multitrack recording and had a string of hits, many with wife Mary Ford, died on Thursday. He was 94.

According to Gibson Guitar, Paul died of complications from pneumonia at White Plains Hospital. His family and friends were by his side.

He had been hospitalized in February 2006 when he learned he won two Grammys for an album he released after his 90th birthday, "Les Paul & Friends: American Made, World Played."

As an inventor, Paul helped bring about the rise of rock 'n' roll and multitrack recording, which enables artists to record different instruments at different times, sing harmony with themselves, and then carefully balance the "tracks" in the finished recording.

With Ford, his wife from 1949 to 1962, he earned 36 gold records and 11 No. 1 pop hits, including "Vaya Con Dios," "How High the Moon," "Nola" and "Lover." Many of their songs used overdubbing techniques that Paul the inventor had helped develop.

"I could take my Mary and make her three, six, nine, 12, as many voices as I wished," he recalled. "This is quite an asset." The overdubbing technique was highly influential on later recording artists such as the Carpenters.

The use of electric guitar gained popularity in the mid-to-late 1940s, and then exploded with the advent of rock the 1950s.

"Suddenly, it was recognized that power was a very important part of music," Paul once said. "To have the dynamics, to have the way of expressing yourself beyond the normal limits of an unamplified instrument, was incredible. Today a guy wouldn't think of singing a song on a stage without a microphone and a sound system."

A tinkerer and musician since childhood, he experimented with guitar amplification for years before coming up in 1941 with what he called "The Log," a four-by-four piece of wood strung with steel strings.

"I went into a nightclub and played it. Of course, everybody had me labeled as a nut." He later put the wooden wings onto the body to give it a tradition guitar shape.

In 1952, Gibson Guitars began production on the Les Paul guitar.

Pete Townsend of The Who, Steve Howe of Yes, jazz great Al DiMeola and Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page all made the Gibson Les Paul their trademark six-string.

Over the years, the Les Paul series has become one of the most widely used guitars in the music industry. In 2005, Christie's auction house sold a 1955 Gibson Les Paul for $45,600.

How's it going "trm989" as well as our fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? It looks like we are all going to make it through another week. I was totally sadden and heartbroken when I heard the sad news that Les Paul passed on and is no longer among us. When you think about it, Les Paul may be gone but his spirit lives on and will never die. There are many endless musicians that honor Les Paul by playing his famous trademark 6-string guitar which bears his name. Everytime a musician plays a Les Paul, Les Paul's spirit along with his love and passion for the guitar and music will play the guitar along side all of them and strum the riffs and licks that he always loved and enjoyed. In reality, Les Paul live a long life! During his 94 glorious years, Les Paul fulfilled his purpose and destiny while he was alive here on earth and the time has finally come for him to move on to the next life. In my opinion, there will never be another Les Paul, he is irreplaceable in the music world due to the many endless accomplishments and achievements. However, he has left behind many gifts of his special blend of music and his Les Paul guitar that helped him play and deliver his sound to the world for us to enjoy over and over again. With everything that has been said in reference to the late great Les Paul, he will never be forgotten. R.I.P. LES PAUL, the sound of music in general, grieves for you with tears of sadness. ROCK ON!

God bless him! he had his ups and downs and kept playing through his whole life. awesome! i heard a thing on the radio today where he used to call in to a radio show for yrs in the 70s and request rare music and yrs later the dj met -les paul and it was he who was calling in for the music. they talked about how he was influenced by music from the 20s and he was playing that in his 40s and 50s, interesting.

What a wonderful, talented, played till the end guitarman.

He will be missed.

RIP

I imagine if he has more than a very private funeral, it will be some gathering.

Hopefully the Les Paul guys will put on a tribute show for the great.

*crosses fingers as to who*

No disrespect all, just thinkin'.

Caravan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu2AcfpGV4M

Brazil

More Les Paul

Les Paul with Mary Ford

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezw_4YTIa8M

Les Paul and Mary Ford on Multi Tracking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foXSXOAfB4U

Amazing Les Paul Vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8O5wZAd2z4

Les Paul Coors commercial

Somewhere over the Rainbow

[...]

[...]

What a guy, he managed to put a big smile on my face even while reading about his passing. RIP Mr. Paul, your life enriched the lives of so many countless others and will continue to do so for God knows how long.

Suddenly,my name means a lot more....

Yes it does.

What a wonderful, talented, played till the end guitarman.

He will be missed.

RIP

I imagine if he has more than a very private funeral, it will be some gathering.

Hopefully the Les Paul guys will put on a tribute show for the great.

*crosses fingers as to who*

No disrespect all, just thinkin'.

No disrespect taken.....I like the way you think and will keep my fingers crossed too.

Sad news indeed............Only a few weeks ago the BBC aired his 90th birthday documentary........He seemed a really nice happy guy who stiil enjoyed life right into his latter days. I'm sure he will be sorely missed.

Heard about it late this afternoon on the way home from work.

Sad news, but he did live a full, rich and satisfying life. Just to know how much his contributions meant to music had to be fullfilling in it's self.

I heard Jeff Beck commenting and he had some wonderful things to say.

I'm wondering if Jimmy will comment as well?

RIP Mr. Paul and keep jammin' wherever you are.

Video: Les Paul talks about creating a solid-body guitar

Seattle's Experience Music Project and Science Fiction Museum dug up a clip from its archives of Paul explaining how he created the game-changing instrument. It's taken from an interview EMP curator Jacob McMurray conducted with Paul in 2005. Check it out here :

Archived