Close Encounters, what would you say if met them?

Sassyboo

I had a close encounter on Plant and Pages Unledded Tour in Australia on the 25th Febuary 1996, I was 17. I went to the concert, and (not that I have to say, but) it was the best night of my life, as you can imagine. I know I'm not the only one, but I do feel like I am the biggest fan in the world. Anyway, after the concert I was with two friends walking back to the car, when, just around the corner of the Sydney Entertainment Centre, there's theis huge big white Limo parked on the side of the road and the Door was open. Oh My God, I thought to myself. It seemed to good to be true. As we approached the Limo, I thought "What will I say, what will I say?" I walked as slow as I could without looking stupid. I looked in the open door and I could see Robert and Jimmy's sillouette. BUT my brain was having as argument with it self. "Is it them?" "No it can't be!" "but it's them, what do I say" "don't be silly, as if it's really them". Although I really new it was them, I froze and kept walking, while kicking myself. I cried when I got home. It's my one and only regret in my life, except selling my Fender Strat (but I'm over that now). What would I say? I litteratly dreamed of meeting them for years up till that point. I thought they were fantacy dreams, but realise now they were trying to prepare me for my big dream come true moment. I still get angry at myself when I think about it, Like right now!

I was also lucky enough to see Page and Plant live in 1996 in Sheffield in the UK and they were amazing (I am too young to have seen Led Zepp in the '70s). I have seen the Stones live twice and while they are great showmen they were nothing compared to Page/Plant in terms of the quality of the sound that they produced live. Unfortunately I was not as lucky as you were to have a close encounter with Page and Plant, but if I did I would probably have said something like, especially to Jimmy Page, 'you are musical geniuses', 'your music has transformed my life' or something to that effect just to let them know that they are appreciated by a new younger generation of fans. :)

Something like....

You guy's are the best!

But, I would be quite nervous and it may come out some thing like .....

You guy's are dressed!

Ha Ha Ha!!!

I would try and come up with a follow up that will make it at least sound as I wasn't a complete fool ...

Oh!!! ... You where dressed so nicely for the show! It was a great show indeed!!

Speaking of Zep close encounters, saw this over at a Rush site: http://www.rushisaband.com/display.php?id=1932 (toward bottom of post). Talks about Alex Lifeson being a fan of Page and vice versa. Alex met Jimmy a few years back and was starstruck. Alex said this in a 2006 Guitar Player interview:

I wanted to look like him, and play like him and be just like him,"Lifeson remembered his youthful infatuation with Page, which came fullcircle when they came face to face backstage many years later. "Youmeet your hero, and he's a hero! He was everything I hoped he would be- I'll never forget that."

I believe Geddy Lee met Robert Plant not too long ago and had a similar experience.

I felt that I came very close when Annie (Pagesangel) approached me to write something to Jimmy for her elaborate book she put together for him, and I even put copies of 3 of my drawings of him and Annie used maybe about 4 or 5 my magazines for her Zeppelin exhibit at Knembworth House. I am one of the people she thanked in the program. I was so upset I never got to see other than in pictures. (She also told me she found out that Jimmy was also in the building when she went to check out the room the exhibit would be in!) She told me she was told Jimmy was very pleased with both of these and I was so happy and honared that I got to be apart of them. I am so happy she made it possible. I still fantaize about meeting Jimmy and getting to see him play live.

There was a member on here, I think it was "Mrs. James Patrick Page" or something of the sort, who got to meet them years ago. She wrote a paper on them and P/P somehow got wind of it and invited her to an event. Is she still on here?

There was a member on here, I think it was "Mrs. James Patrick Page" or something of the sort, who got to meet them years ago. She wrote a paper on them and P/P somehow got wind of it and invited her to an event. Is she still on here?

I think I know which one you mean. Was she quite young at the time? From what I remember, she went off Led Zeppelin and disappeared from the (old) boards about a year after that.

The closest I have come to them (not meeting them) was when I saw solo Robert Plant when he was playing a small venue in Kansas City, Kansas called the Memorial Hall. Anyway, it was a pretty small auditorium (kinda like a big High School gym), and I was in the section off to the right of the stage. Throughout the whole concert I was excited and screaming my head off. Anyway, eventualy, I did manage to get Robert's attention because He looked exactly my way and made the gesture of two guns at his hip level and smiled. At that moment I got one of the biggest rushes and chills throughout my entire body. After he did that I stood there for a few seconds and then turned to my friend and said to him, "Did you just see that"? My friend smiled at me and just said, "I know".

IF I EVER GOT TO MEET THE REMAINING MEMBERS OF LED ZEPPELIN, I WOULD JUST WANT TO SHAKE THEIR HAND AND SAY, "THANK YOU FOR THE MUSIC YOU HAVE GIVEN ME AND THE REST OF THE WORLD".

If I didn't faint..... I think I would tell them :

Thank you for the MUSIC and the years of sheer joy.....and, when in the hell are you getting together again (with Jason)! as so many of us miss the magic of seeing them live:-)

I was asked down to the first riffathon as a special guest, to meet jimmy after i did work for his charity, we spoke for a while and he presented me with a personally signed photo which i have framed along with the photos of when i met him on my wall at home, absolute gentleman. Also met Robert at Newcastle when the rumours were going round about Led Zeppelin reforming, i asked him if the rumours were true about next year? He replied "Just that the sun is gonna shine"

Meeting Mr.Plant in Newcastle after a 45 min evening showcase with Strange Sensation at WOMEX world music trade fair in october 2005 (find an announcement here) and had the chance to listen to a press conference he & Justin Adams gave the follwing morning in the same Venue, The Sage in Gateshead was quite a lot to dig for me as a lifelong fan. i mean how many of you guys have actually attended a press conference with the man ? when the conference was over after like 45 minutes, Robert disappeared quickly but Justin stayed on to chat with interested people and also exchange info & music, him generally being a very kool networking guy:) so i went to the front and got in line to hand him some of my own productions (remember it was a music trade fair, this is normal there) and tell him how i had enjoyed the SS gig the night before and about my interest in asian & african & electronic music generally. he seemed to really be looking forward into listening to my production.. then, not wanting to push any kind of deeper situation, i made my way out of the room, but for some reason - guess i was a bit dizzy - i took the other way, kinda out hru the back door, everyone else had left out thru the in door.

and to my biggest surprise, right there in a small darkened corridor room between the conference hall and the backdoor, there is one Mr. Plant, standing tall, just saying thank you & good bye to one other guy and then nobody else!!! my heat almost stops beating and i proceed to the out door as was my plan.............. but then i think - this is probably my only chance to ever speak to the man personally and i RETURNED into the small dark room, where then he was all alone, waiting for Justin to finish the job outside. i smile at him and introduce myself and he smiles back and shakes my hand! my heart skips a little bit, but i find some words along the lines of how much i admire his work since i was a kid and how much it means to me, but then i think it´s kinda stupid, because what does this mean to him ? and so i tell him a little about my DJ & production work and he seems interested and so i tell him something like "will you please take these, my CDs & info with you and listen if you will? it´s more electronic music, but - i hope- produced with a lot of heart & soul, and there definetely is YOUR influence in there as well."

and he goes something like "oh yes this is very interesteing, i will like to listen to this!" and puts my demo material into his shoulder bag. we go on talking about Strange Sensation remixes and then some girl comes along and Mr.Plant tells me he needs to be going now. so we say good bye and shake hands again and he is gone....

i am totally not believing what just had happened and instead of visiting those trade fair stands in the other rooms, i go outside the venue for a bit of fresh air , directly by the river, to rest and think and enjoy this moment i just had experienced. and breathe properly, haha! and i´m looking at the river Tyne´s waves for some minutes, standing outside this venue and just when i turnaround facing the entry/exit doors of the Sage,

who comes out that door in like 20 meter distance ? Robert with the lady and some other guys. They shake hands, Robert takes his bag of music & papers he had colleted (my stuff is in there i too) and then he walks all by himself down the place to the millenium bridge over the river. i watch it and think - wow how cool is that - i´m gonna see the man disappear in a noble car with a chauffeur next - but he walks on alone crossing the bridge till he reaches the other side of it (it really was a clear day, i could see quite far) and then finally disappears on the other side, either in a car or into a hotel or - i dont know.

tho i have to admit i am not very meaningful in the music biz myself, just sometimes it´s not bad being a musician and meeting colleagues by chance;)))

Moonson, i think it's extremly cool that you, not only as a fan but also as a musician yourself, could have a coversation with Robert about your musical work. And very nice of him(and Justin) to take their time. :)

I felt that I came very close when Annie (Pagesangel) approached me to write something to Jimmy for her elaborate book she put together for him, and I even put copies of 3 of my drawings of him and Annie used maybe about 4 or 5 my magazines for her Zeppelin exhibit at Knembworth House. I am one of the people she thanked in the program.

Annie got my message into the book too. That's about as close as ever expect to get, but at least I got to express my feelings! :beer:

I often wonder if he's actually read it through.

Meeting Mr.Plant in Newcastle after a 45 min evening showcase with Strange Sensation at WOMEX world music trade fair in october 2005 (find an announcement here) and had the chance to listen to a press conference he & Justin Adams gave the follwing morning in the same Venue, The Sage in Gateshead was quite a lot to dig for me as a lifelong fan. i mean how many of you guys have actually attended a press conference with the man ? when the conference was over after like 45 minutes, Robert disappeared quickly but Justin stayed on to chat with interested people and also exchange info & music, him generally being a very kool networking guy:) so i went to the front and got in line to hand him some of my own productions (remember it was a music trade fair, this is normal there) and tell him how i had enjoyed the SS gig the night before and about my interest in asian & african & electronic music generally. he seemed to really be looking forward into listening to my production.. then, not wanting to push any kind of deeper situation, i made my way out of the room, but for some reason - guess i was a bit dizzy - i took the other way, kinda out hru the back door, everyone else had left out thru the in door.

and to my biggest surprise, right there in a small darkened corridor room between the conference hall and the backdoor, there is one Mr. Plant, standing tall, just saying thank you & good bye to one other guy and then nobody else!!! my heat almost stops beating and i proceed to the out door as was my plan.............. but then i think - this is probably my only chance to ever speak to the man personally and i RETURNED into the small dark room, where then he was all alone, waiting for Justin to finish the job outside. i smile at him and introduce myself and he smiles back and shakes my hand! my heart skips a little bit, but i find some words along the lines of how much i admire his work since i was a kid and how much it means to me, but then i think it´s kinda stupid, because what does this mean to him ? and so i tell him a little about my DJ & production work and he seems interested and so i tell him something like "will you please take these, my CDs & info with you and listen if you will? it´s more electronic music, but - i hope- produced with a lot of heart & soul, and there definetely is YOUR influence in there as well."

and he goes something like "oh yes this is very interesteing, i will like to listen to this!" and puts my demo material into his shoulder bag. we go on talking about Strange Sensation remixes and then some girl comes along and Mr.Plant tells me he needs to be going now. so we say good bye and shake hands again and he is gone....

i am totally not believing what just had happened and instead of visiting those trade fair stands in the other rooms, i go outside the venue for a bit of fresh air , directly by the river, to rest and think and enjoy this moment i just had experienced. and breathe properly, haha! and i´m looking at the river Tyne´s waves for some minutes, standing outside this venue and just when i turnaround facing the entry/exit doors of the Sage,

who comes out that door in like 20 meter distance ? Robert with the lady and some other guys. They shake hands, Robert takes his bag of music & papers he had colleted (my stuff is in there i too) and then he walks all by himself down the place to the millenium bridge over the river. i watch it and think - wow how cool is that - i´m gonna see the man disappear in a noble car with a chauffeur next - but he walks on alone crossing the bridge till he reaches the other side of it (it really was a clear day, i could see quite far) and then finally disappears on the other side, either in a car or into a hotel or - i dont know.

tho i have to admit i am not very meaningful in the music biz myself, just sometimes it´s not bad being a musician and meeting colleagues by chance;)))

What a great memory for you to have. I had to smile while reading of this. Thanks for sharing:-)

Archived