The WHO to perorm halftime at Super Bowl Feb. 7, 2010

The Rover

I didn't think they were too bad, better than I anticipated actually. I thought the stage was super cool, setlist predictable, Roger predictably winded. Also I don't know if anybody caught the lip-synching there for a few seconds. All in all, better than any myriad of lame-ass contemporary acts we could have gotten nowadays.

in their defense, they did pick it up after a few minutes, but it was far short of what is expected from a Who performance. It's still miles better than someone like Lady Gaga or the Jonas Bros.

btw, :welcome2:

in their defense, they did pick it up after a few minutes, but it was far short of what is expected from a Who performance. It's still miles better than someone like Lady Gaga or the Jonas Bros.

btw, :welcome2:

They were lack luster to say the least - at this point I prefer to just call them The Oooo, since they have lost half of the members.

I don't think Lady Gaga would have been that bad - at least more interesting than those two geezers.

The stage and Starky were the only redeeming parts of the show, IMO.

They were better than I expected and Roger got his scream right at the end of "Won't Get Fooled Again". As far as Zak Starkey goes, it's time for a different drummer. He just makes the rut they're in that much deeper. And Pino Palladino....they basically replaced the worlds must interesting bass player with one of the worlds most boring. John Entwistle was even more irreplaceable than Keith Moon.

btw, welcome2.gif

Thank you! It's nice to be here. smile.gif

Their set list was entirely expected. For once I'd like to see an act go up there and do something people haven't already figured out ahead of time. For example, get Ted Nugent up there and just when you think he's going to do Cat Scratch Fever, he whips out "Wang Dang, Sweet Poontang".

I am pretty sure that Roger suffers from COPD, or emphysema, thus his "winded" sound.

He shows classic symptoms of this: shortness of breath, getting winded with exertion, forward lean which increases the lung capacity and allows for easier breathing. He leans forward in his chair in all of the more recent interviews that I have seen, and this is classic COPD posture. I love The Who, but have not been a close follower of their career. So I am not aware that Roger was a heavy smoker, causing his emphysema. Anyone know if he was? I have never seen him smoking in any photos that I have seen of him, but then again, I haven't seen alot of Who photos, either.

And Pete does have a shirt tail issue. His shirt came untucked in the recent VH1 Rock Honors concert, too. He is wearing the wrong type of shirt to be doing his signature windmill guitar riffs in, lol.

But I admire them for getting out there and still performing. Alot of people who are either too young or never had the opportunity to see them, are thrilled to get the chance to see their idols, no matter how old they are or how they sound, or how many original members are left alive. It would be the same for us getting the opportunity to see Led Zeppelin perform again. At least it would be for me.

Edited to say that a barrel chest is also another symptom of COPD, and Roger is indeed barrel-chested.

Well those that liked the show are in the minority.

Did I expect to see the energy of the shows when I saw them in concert in the 70's?

NO. It wasn't a stellar performance. Did Roger have some issues with his singing? YES. I take into consideration that he is older than he used to be and I noticed him tapping his ear piece a couple of times. Don't know if that caused him and Pete to seem out of synch a couple of times. Did Pete miss a couple of his windmill strums? YES Wardrobe malfunction as noticed by some. Wrong shirt and jacket. He wasn't gonna take time to tuck it in. He was probably thinking: Note to self: Don't wear this outfit during performances.

Did I enjoy the halftime entertainment at provided by the WHO? YES

Maybe it was the stage and light show too, but it left me with a smile.

I thought they were fabulous, I don't get the people who are saying they were bad, they're 64 & 65 for cripes sake, what did you expect?? And Pete Townshend is "The Who" as far as I'm concerned...

I don't think anyone expected a performance comparable to what they did in the 70s, but expecting something more than a half-assed performance isn't out of the question. There are a lot of acts in their early to mid 60s that still perform live regularly that put on a hell of a show and it's good and entertaining DESPITE their age. I've seen Bruce Springsteen live probably a dozen times now, and he's still giving you nearly 3 hours of kick-ass shit. And he's 60. So their age isn't really an excuse. They might have been under-rehearsed, they might have had technical issues.....the point is, it was not a good performance, given what we know they can do.

At least in my opinion. Also, I hated that they telegraphed the set list. Give me variety, not the same shit we can hear if we watch CSI every week. They could have done Magic Bus or 5:15 or Going Mobile.....anything but the same 3-4 songs they always do at stuff like this.

I don't think anyone expected a performance comparable to what they did in the 70s, but expecting something more than a half-assed performance isn't out of the question. There are a lot of acts in their early to mid 60s that still perform live regularly that put on a hell of a show and it's good and entertaining DESPITE their age. I've seen Bruce Springsteen live probably a dozen times now, and he's still giving you nearly 3 hours of kick-ass shit. And he's 60. So their age isn't really an excuse. They might have been under-rehearsed, they might have had technical issues.....the point is, it was not a good performance, given what we know they can do.

At least in my opinion. Also, I hated that they telegraphed the set list. Give me variety, not the same shit we can hear if we watch CSI every week. They could have done Magic Bus or 5:15 or Going Mobile.....anything but the same 3-4 songs they always do at stuff like this.

Completely agree. I know they're old, but that was just not a good performance by any standard. I love The Who, but I just can't say they sounded good yesterday, whether technical/physical problems came into the picture or not. Anyway, I'll shut up because Electrophile here said it way better than I can.

Daltrey's voice sounds like hell, but Townshends is even worse, together they're just plain awful.

But, even if they had sounded better, the medley was a real bore. No imagination, whatsoever.

Pretty fucking sad, man. I'm going to have to watch The Kids Are Alright just to remind myself

what a great live band The Who used to be....long long ago.

They showed me that the NFL needs to drop the "old heads" routine and get fresh acts in there. That being said, Prince is still best halftime show I've ever seen. He fuckin' rocked! B)

Someone observerd that since the Janet Jackson "wardrobe malfunction" incident, they are only getting gray haired halftime acts for the Super Bowl (i.e. no young folks in case they do something similarly inappropriate). Not sure if that's official policy or just an observation. :unsure:

Just wanted to say too that I enjoyed Queen Latifah and Carrie Underwood's performances as well. There was obviously something wrong with Queen Latifah's headset but she worked it out; and Carrie did a great job acapella. I automatically brace myself for those high notes (we attend *A LOT* of youth sporting events where the anthem is sung) but she did it!

I've seen The Who in every form during the post Keith Moon era, and I think some of you are being kind of harsh. It's basically been "The Who on Ice" since '89....even Pete admits to that. It's also kind of tough to have an original set list when you haven't released an album since I had hair. I was actually kind of surprised they didn't start out with "I Can't Explain" or "Substitute". The medley was well rehearsed, so I think synch issues could have been a problem.

I am pretty sure that Roger suffers from COPD, or emphysema, thus his "winded" sound.

He shows classic symptoms of this: shortness of breath, getting winded with exertion, forward lean which increases the lung capacity and allows for easier breathing. He leans forward in his chair in all of the more recent interviews that I have seen, and this is classic COPD posture.

That's interesting. Singing rock in your 60's is no gimmee. I did notice the shoulder thing, and I don't remember seeing Roger do that before. My theory is that he has to basically prepare his whole body to still hit any kind of high note. His voice is shot. He's vocally a shadow of his former self.

I'm a big Who fan, and I was playing shadow drums by the middle of "Baba O'Reilly". Their performance wasn't any worse than The Stones, Bruce, or anyone else that has had to play under what seem to be some pretty lousy circumstances.

He shows classic symptoms of this: shortness of breath, getting winded with exertion, forward lean which increases the lung capacity and allows for easier breathing. He leans forward in his chair in all of the more recent interviews that I have seen, and this is classic COPD posture. I love The Who, but have not been a close follower of their career. So I am not aware that Roger was a heavy smoker, causing his emphysema. Anyone know if he was? I have never seen him smoking in any photos that I have seen of him, but then again, I haven't seen alot of Who photos, either.

Edited to say that a barrel chest is also another symptom of COPD, and Roger is indeed barrel-chested.

I have a friend currently dying of emphysema, and I don't think Roger could possibly sing at all, let alone on a regular basis, if he was suffering from that illness. I've never seen pics of him smoking.

But it WAS great to see them out there, and I enjoyed it much more than many people seem to have done. I'm also looking forward to the Clapton/Daltrey show that's coming up in a few weeks!

Someone observerd that since the Janet Jackson "wardrobe malfunction" incident, they are only getting gray haired halftime acts for the Super Bowl (i.e. no young folks in case they do something similarly inappropriate). Not sure if that's official policy or just an observation. :unsure:

Just wanted to say too that I enjoyed Queen Latifah and Carrie Underwood's performances as well. There was obviously something wrong with Queen Latifah's headset but she worked it out; and Carrie did a great job acapella. I automatically brace myself for those high notes (we attend *A LOT* of youth sporting events where the anthem is sung) but she did it!

But Townshend had a "wardrobe malfunction" too :D

I'm a big Who fan, and I was playing shadow drums by the middle of "Baba O'Reilly". Their performance wasn't any worse than The Stones, Bruce, or anyone else that has had to play under what seem to be some pretty lousy circumstances.

I'm gonna have to agree. I'm not a massive Who fan, but then, I wasn't a Bruce, Paul McCartney, or any other past Superbowl halftime band of recent. And they all seemed to entertain me enough. Sure, I wasn't looking at them from the same perspective as a die-hard, but I thought they were enjoyable enough to listen to.

I don't get it. These people are no longer fucking 20. They won't be able to strut around like they once did. It's called age and so many 'fans' often forget that.

I have a friend currently dying of emphysema, and I don't think Roger could possibly sing at all, let alone on a regular basis, if he was suffering from that illness. I've never seen pics of him smoking.

But it WAS great to see them out there, and I enjoyed it much more than many people seem to have done. I'm also looking forward to the Clapton/Daltrey show that's coming up in a few weeks!

I was always under the impression that Roger was a bit of health-freak of recent. No idea why. I don't know anyone with emphysema but I'm pretty sure he would've needed some kind of aid of some sort to perform.

I was always under the impression that Roger was a bit of health-freak of recent. No idea why. I don't know anyone with emphysema but I'm pretty sure he would've needed some kind of aid of some sort to perform.

Hi LDW, smile.gif

Someone "dying" of emphysema is in what the medical community terms "end stage" emphysema, or COPD. In that state, a person would need oxygen 24 hours a day and would be very limited in any type of physical activity that they could do. Obviously, this doesn't fit with Roger.

But in the beginning early stages of COPD, a person exhibits the symptoms that I mentioned: shortness of breath, getting winded, leaning forward to breathe easier, barrel chest. It is a progressive disease and it does get worse over time, especially if a person continues to smoke once they begin having early symptoms. For most people, the symptoms begin in a person's late 50's to mid 60's. Most people with severe COPD rarely live past age 75. That is just the epidemiology of the disease.

Roger Daltry does indeed exhibit symptoms of early emphysema. I have seen hundreds of patients with it, and my husband takes care of patients in the hospital on a daily basis with it. It is a very common disease. Roger's behavior is consistent with early COPD symptoms. It's not just because he is 64 or 65 years old. You can't blame the winding just on his age.

And my mother-in-law was a health nut as well as a clean freak. And she continued to smoke all of her life, until she died of emphysema and lung cancer at age 66. Being a health freak doesn't keep you from getting a disease like emphysema, particularly if you are a smoker, or even if you had been a former smoker at a younger age.

A person can get COPD from other sources, too, even if they had never smoked before.

I am just making a medical observation (that's what I do for my job) to explain why I think that Roger was winded, as someone pointed out previously.

Archived