Phil Collins wanted to walk away from Live Aid mid-set!

mrmike9

Haven't seen anyone post this yet, but evidently Phil Collins wanted to walk away from the Live Aid Reunion mid-set! Too bad he didn't!!

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story/collins-i-wanted-to-walk-away-from-led-zeppelin-live-aid-show_1159320

Zoinks. ""They weren't very good and I was made to feel a little uncomfortable by the dribbling Jimmy Page. " Yes- it wasn't their best moment, but "dribbling"? :blink:

I guess it was a tough spot for Phil to be in, all things considered. Not sure what good it serves today however to offer that opinion up- a little long to get things off one's chest, no?

Hey look...

It takes a lousy performance to recognize a lousy performance.

Phil was part of that truth. But did he screw up because of the other's or the other way around ?

Doesn't really matter though.

Agreed ! The whole set was always going to be a long shot .

I guess it was a tough spot for Phil to be in, all things considered.

Phil was ill-equipped to perform with a second drummer (Tony Thompson). This was self-inflicted as he agreed, indeed relished, being the one star chosen to perform at Wembley and in Philadelphia.

Phil was ill-equipped to perform with a second drummer (Tony Thompson). This was self-inflicted as he agreed, indeed relished, being the one star chosen to perform at Wembley and in Philadelphia.

It was the wrong decision full stop but looking back now would it have made much difference if he hadn't have played, to me yes but it wasn't their best moment anyway. Under rehearsed +++ sadly but I didn'tlike the sound coming from Philadlphia for any of the acts and the sound at Wembley was much better and clearer so it possibly could have been better from there. But 2 drummers - no.

But just watching them walk on stage was something special.

It was the wrong decision full stop but looking back now would it have made much difference if he hadn't have played, to me yes but it wasn't their best moment anyway. Under rehearsed +++ sadly but I didn'tlike the sound coming from Philadlphia for any of the acts and the sound at Wembley was much better and clearer so it possibly could have been better from there. But 2 drummers - no.

But just watching them walk on stage was something special.

Absolutely! And being there to experience it as someone who wasn't old enough to have seen them before, even more special.

Hi T Y'All,

I wish people would stop over analyzing live performances by Led Zeppelin in all their guises, Jezzzzus, its the experience of being there that counts not how proficient the music is being played. :rolleyes:

Now i don't think Phil was aware that Jimmy's Dribbling was in fact in awe of His Prowess on the Drums and not as a sign of Overt Drug Use or Senility. :o;):lol:

Regards, littledan

That jackass Collins should keep his mouth shut. A drunken Jimmy Page still outplayed collins that day. Collins stunk up the joint. So he blames Led zeppelin for his pitiful performance. How many unknown garage or basement drummers could have done a better job than Collins did that day? Thousands. Shut up Phil. you sucked. And your finger pointing sucks even worse. Nobody wanted to see you. They wanted to see the Zeppelin reunion and that burns your ass doesnt it Phil? Ride offf into the sunset. You will never be remembered or be placed in the same league as the likes of Led Zeppelin or Bonzo.

it just means salavia ect dribbling out of your mouth when talking ect.........in my opinion they should never agreed to do the show......and even with two drummers you couldnt replace the irreplaceable.

What does Collins mean by "dribbling"? Is that some english slang for drunk?

It's the English word for drooling. (Not slang, though.)

Jimmy hasn't been too complimentary about Phil (or Tony) that night, either--I don't think this is a one-sided critique. And of course, the fans have yet other perspectives (horrible performance, great to see them anyway, not that bad a performance, terrible sound, etc.). Also, as I said before, the whole point in Collins's case was the publicity of playing both Live Aid venues, in order to aid in the fund-raising.

I was watching an interview with Phil Collins and he said he didn't even like a lot of the old rock bands of the 60's and 70's so why did he play with Zeppelin in the first place?

Anyway the simple fact is he couldn't and can't play even half as well as Bonzo did. He is an extremely overrated drummer.

Tony Thompson was indeed great and it's really a shame more people didn't know who he was back then. Collins flying to both venues to play was a star trip and at the time was hyped to the max.

A couple decades plus later on and he's bitching about it? Phil, your celebrity has passed.......retire please.

I was watching an interview with Phil Collins and he said he didn't even like a lot of the old rock bands of the 60's and 70's so why did he play with Zeppelin in the first place?

He was chosen as the only artist to perform at both Wembley and Philadelphia so it was inevitable he'd have to join someone in Philly. He was already connected to Robert Plant through his second solo album, The Principle of Moments, and subsequent tour in 1983. They also got on well socially; Robert performed a set of standards at Phil's wedding (Collins on drums, Clapton on guitar and Phil Carson on bass). It's been said it was a last minute decision - Jimmy has confirmed they had not rehearsed or performed with Collins prior to the event - and if true it's likely his connection with Plant was what got him onstage.

Anyway the simple fact is he couldn't and can't play even half as well as Bonzo did. He is an extremely overrated drummer.

Maybe I've missed it but I've never seem him praised as a drummer. Distinct drum sound? Yes. Phil Collins was nearly inescapable on the airwaves in the 80s and his appearances at Live Aid are a fine example of his overexposure at the time.

Archived