Could Moon have replaced Bonzo ?

Do you think Led would have put Keith Moon in Bonham's place? I mean they all got along with Keith respected him musically and showed his Led Zeppelin worth at L.A. 6/23/77.

If Keith didn't die in 78' could their have been the possibilty they would have considered putting Keith in his place?

Not in my opinion, anyway if Moonie was alive in 1981 then he would still be in the Who, as for replacing Bonzo, no one ever could and Moonie certainly didn't have the credentials to fill his shoes, in my opinion anyways.

Regards, Danny

Besides being out of the question for obvious reasons (the 3 not continuing without Bonzo) I would say absolutely not. Keith is not even close to being in the same league as John Bonham in terms of drumming capability. Not even close.

No he couldn't....As much as I dig Moonie in the Who, his style is too chaotic. Just imagine how Moonie would have dealt with Kashmir (or Whole Lotta Love, or Immirant Song). I think the only era Keith could have stood in for Bonzo was LZ 1. Tracks like GTBT or CB are more or less compatible with the Moonie approach. The album would have sounded decidedly different, but it still would have been a great debut.

After that the trademark Bonzo groove defines the Zeppelin sound.

And after Bonzo passed away, I think Tony Thompson (Chic) was about the only one who could be a suitable follow up.

Unfortunately this great man also took the stairway to....:(

No he couldn't....As much as I dig Moonie in the Who, his style is too chaotic. Just imagine how Moonie would have dealt with Kashmir (or Whole Lotta Love, or Immirant Song). I think the only era Keith could have stood in for Bonzo was LZ 1. Tracks like GTBT or CB are more or less compatible with the Moonie approach. The album would have sounded decidedly different, but it still would have been a great debut.

After that the trademark Bonzo groove defines the Zeppelin sound.

And after Bonzo passed away, I think Tony Thompson (Chic) was about the only one who could be a suitable follow up.

Unfortunately this great man also took the stairway to....:(

I agree with your statement except for the Tony Thompson comment.

Tony was such a great drummer. His work with Chic is stunning and what I heard on The Power Station with Robert Palmer and those two Durannies just convinces me. But dying to hear your objections. Do you feel Tony played in a different league ?

a myriad of drummers could have filled the drum throne, but Moon wasn't one of them. He had too much of his own style to fit in with anyone other than the Who. Besides, why would Zep want another drummer with vices as bad or worse than the one they had? Crazy question. Of the ones that were mentioned to possibly take Bonham's place, Aynsley Dunbar or Cozy Powell would have been the best, imo. Of course, the question remains why would they want to. To not continue was the right decision and I respect them for it.

love keith moon but i like to call his style more of a "scatterbrain" approach...whereas bonham is direct and heavy and hard...so.......it would have been interesting for sure and changed the band in some unique ways

that being said......i always found carmine appice and bonham sounded quite a bit alike

never having heard a ton of appice

Tony was such a great drummer. His work with Chic is stunning and what I heard on The Power Station with Robert Palmer and those two Durannies just convinces me. But dying to hear your objections. Do you feel Tony played in a different league ?

I will be completely honest. I do not really know that much about Tony Thompson except that he did have the special privelage of playing with Page/Plant/Jones (and Phil Collins and Paul Martinez) at Live Aid. Also, the rehearsals at Bath. Apparently, Jimmy, Robert and Jonesy saw something in him and his drumming to get Tony (briefly) involved in a possible reunion.

Saying that, I do not know what league Tony played in, however, I do not think that it was in any that included John Bonham. Most of us consider Bonzo to be in a complete league of his own. I could think of other great rock drummers that could have possibly replaced John Bonham, although I am glad that no one was seriously considered after the immediate and unfortunate death of John. Regardless, even way back then or even now, we all know that Led Zeppelin would and never could be Led Zeppelin without John Henry Bonham. Of course Jason Bonham is considered the "heir apparent" but even that only happened in 1988 and 2007.

Moonie is in the same league as rock drummers but he couldn't have filled his shoes...no as Bonzo couldn't in The Who, well they both could but it would be different.

PS Tony Thompsn was a great drummer, too.....Funk music oh yes my man.........."I am Slappin de Bass"

IMHO, Moon was fantastic. But No One could replace Bonham. He was a one of kind and he was Led Zeppelin's thunder. :drumz:

Not counting every song that Led Zeppelin has done, I can't imagine anyone doing to Moby Dick what he was able to do. Jason is as close as it gets, but that would be natural, look at who he learned from :peace:

a myriad of drummers could have filled the drum throne, but Moon wasn't one of them. He had too much of his own style to fit in with anyone other than the Who. Besides, why would Zep want another drummer with vices as bad or worse than the one they had? Crazy question. Of the ones that were mentioned to possibly take Bonham's place, Aynsley Dunbar or Cozy Powell would have been the best, imo. Of course, the question remains why would they want to. To not continue was the right decision and I respect them for it.

You named the 2 I would have suggested. Maybe Ian Paice or Carmine Appice as well from a technical standpoint and for having a similiar approach.

But of course nobody could have replaced John Bonham.

Keith Moon at one time would have been interesting though... Who's Next time frame. But his chops were way down the last couple years of his life. When The Who went on extended breaks, Moon wasn't practiicing at all. Some drummers can get away with that. But throw in his hard drinking and wild lifestyle.... his drum skills were way down.

No, I don't think he could have. While they were both amazing drummers, they were amazing drummers for the bands they played in. Bonham wouldn't have worked in The Who, and Moon wouldn't have worked in Led Zeppelin.

Exactly! It's really a factor in popular music how musicians develop their style within the framework of their bands, until what you have is something like a purposeful unity, where everything seems to fit uniquely. Even the songwriting starts to take the approach of the other bandmembers into account, so to speak. Townshend's songs would presuppose Keith Moon in a way - which is the real reason why Kenny Jones didn't work at the time. He did a good job - trying to do something that couldn't really be done. The Who were four people, a very tight unit - Led Zeppelin, same thing. The combination of Bonham's sheer ability and individual style was something other drummers didn't quite match. That's not a criticism. After all they didn't have to because they weren't drumming in Led Zeppelin.

• 7 months later...

This is a very often asked question. I say no because Moon was a much crazier drummer and I am not sure where it would have gone if he would've had to slow things down or get a little quieter with certain songs. He was just a drummer that thrashed and loved to get crazy on the drums. That's certainly not a bad thing because he was amazing at it. One of rock's all time greats, but his style wasn't that of Zeppelin's. Bonham had the thunder in his drums and it fit the mystique of LEd Zeppelin and it fit the music. Moon was wild, and crazy. But he was also skilled. That fit the music of The Who.

It would be interesting to see the difference I guess. Overall though, I think Zeppelin was smart to call in quits in 1980 like they did.

Do you think Led would have put Keith Moon in Bonham's place? I mean they all got along with Keith respected him musically and showed his Led Zeppelin worth at L.A. 6/23/77.

If Keith didn't die in 78' could their have been the possibilty they would have considered putting Keith in his place?

no, even thou Keith what an amazing drummer his style was verry diffrent frome Bonham's, Keith was a fast, loud, crazy drummer that fit the who perfictly. Bonham was a drummer who was powerful yet knew when to pull back and knew when to explode and go crazy.

No he couldn't....As much as I dig Moonie in the Who, his style is too chaotic. Just imagine how Moonie would have dealt with Kashmir (or Whole Lotta Love, or Immirant Song). I think the only era Keith could have stood in for Bonzo was LZ 1. Tracks like GTBT or CB are more or less compatible with the Moonie approach.

Yeah thats always been my opinion, Moon's role in the Who's sound was IMHO adding more "colour" where as it was Entwistle'a basswork that really grounded alot of the material the way Bonhams drumming did for Zep.

no, even thou Keith what an amazing drummer his style was verry diffrent frome Bonham's, Keith was a fast, loud, crazy drummer that fit the who perfictly. Bonham was a drummer who was powerful yet knew when to pull back and knew when to explode and go crazy.

Yeah thats always been my opinion, Moon's role in the Who's sound was IMHO adding more "colour" where as it was Entwistle'a basswork that really grounded alot of the material the way Bonhams drumming did for Zep.

Don't know much about drumming, but I asked my husband about Moon's drumming about a year ago. He said that Moon "overdrummed", which seems to fit with what you guys are saying. I've always liked his style, but Bonham had more swing though, as we all know. :)

• 1 month later...

Keith Moon was essentially a popdrummer, very light and messy. all over the place.

Bonham is his exact opposite heavy and loud. Bonham´s style of playing demands you´re in great physical shape.

I think that Bonham had a hard time keeping up his own style in the late seventies.

Archived