Not so hot Zep songs

bouillon

166 members have voted

1. 1. Which are your THREE least favourite?

Not by a long shot. Then again, it's all about opinion so there is no one band that's the "greatest", even Led Zeppelin. It's all in the ear of the beer holder.

That may be so, but could you imagine the excitement in the Zep universe if Page had just remastered and let these eleven songs out of the can for the first time recently? It would be like the second coming or something. Personally I think each of these songs have something going for it. They certainly are not Zeps best work for sure. As for as I'm concerned, Jimmy Page never laid down a weak rythym guitar track and John Bohnam is John Bohnam. I could just listen at Page and Bohnam make up stuff all day. In fact thats where most of Zeps songs originated from in the first place. Oh by the way, I still think the Mighty Zep is the greatest.

Edited by grecko1

That may be so, but could you imagine the excitement in the Zep universe if Page had just remastered and let these eleven songs out of the can for the first time recently? It would be like the second coming or something.

Very doubtful. Rock n' roll is alive and well in 2011 but new music isn't very well represented on commercial radio so it's not like these songs (that some may consider their weaker material) would be received as groundbreaking by today's standards. Some Zep fans are so blindsided by their fandom that they can't see the forest for the trees so you have to figure that sort of blas and lack of objectivity in there as well.

That may be so, but could you imagine the excitement in the Zep universe if Page had just remastered and let these eleven songs out of the can for the first time recently? It would be like the second coming or something. Personally I think each of these songs have something going for it. They certainly are not Zeps best work for sure. As for as I'm concerned, Jimmy Page never laid down a weak rythym guitar track and John Bohnam is John Bohnam. I could just listen at Page and Bohnam make up stuff all day. In fact thats where most of Zeps songs originated from in the first place. Oh by the way, I still think the Mighty Zep is the greatest.

:goodpost:

I agree entirely with both your posts, grecko. And you're right - 'Mighty Zep' is the greatest, and will remain so among proper rock fans. Not that I'm gloating about it - it's a tragedy that there have been no seismic new bands since the 90s - but I firmly believe that we have seen the last of the truly great rock bands. And there is no chance IMO that anything will happen to change that, as long as new bands are obsessed with churning out insipid Americana or endlessly rehashing punk in a watered-down form.

I actually admire independent thinkers. But just being a contrarian is not really the same thing in my opinion.

Reminds me of a school buddy. After one xmas break, he came back and told us he'd done something really rad on xmas day. In a gesture of teenage rebellion, when the meal was being served, he said to his mum 'No turkey, please' :blink:

He thought that was really cool. I just thought he was an idiot.

:nuke:

I do think Zeppelin made amazing music and, in my opinion, I feel they are the greatest rock band ever. Having said that, I have a personal thing where I cringe when people claim that they are better than any band ever and it's "not even a debate" or something like that. It's not like in the NBA or some other sport where championships and stats make for a more reasonable argument as to who's the "best ever." It's music and everyone loves what they love. To claim Zeppelin is better than all else is fine, just present it as opinion and not fact. Otherwise, it sounds a bit foolish to me. Fighting with each other over something that isn't really ever going to be a fact is kind of pointless.

Are there certain bands that I will never understand how people can like them? Of course. I get nearly sick listening to certain music/bands. But the band and music exist because other people dig it. I know for sure there are people out there that don't like Zeppelin and possibly don't understand how I can love them so much. That's fine. I think Zeppelin is great and I love listening to their music. That's all that matters.

Hating a Zeppelin song or even not being a big fan of some songs is perfectly fine to me. Led Zeppelin is my favorite band ever and I know they weren't/aren't flawless. No band, person, or earthly thing is.

Stairway to Heaven is A GREAT SONG. It's not my favorite Zep song either, but I never met a person 'who claims to be fan' who ever hated it.

I don't "claim" to be a fan, I am a fan. Why else waste my time posting here both on this incarnation of the board, and the prior one, which I joined in January of 2004? I would think it makes little to no sense to post on a message board devoted to a music group you don't like.

As to your assertion that you've never met a fan who hates Stairway To Heaven.......now you have.

Edited by Electrophile

Thankfully for me, I don't give a damn about your opinion on what makes or does not make a fan of Led Zeppelin, so you can continue talking to yourself, as far as that conversation is concerned. I know I'm a fan of the band's music, and people here who know me know that I'm a fan of the band's music, and that's all that really matters. The idea that you think you have the ability, least of all the authority, to go around dictating who is a fan, what fans are allowed to say and what they're not allowed to say.....it's asinine. To say the least.

Edited by Electrophile

Hi Janet,

Yes, i absolutly love it, as it reminds me of the 78 world cup, and i can honestly say that there is not ONE song of theirs that i dont like, skip or wont play, and thats called having a love affair with the band, something that has been going on with them and me for 40 years plus.

Regards, Danny

fool in the rain is one of their best songs, it shows zeppelins "spread". the drumming is killer, the singing spectacular, and the samba break to die for. the guitar synth solo is low-fi but fits the song. what's not to like? if i'm at a stop light and the whistle blows, the rules in my car is everbody out and samba until the breaks over or the lights change. true story...

You are allowed to say whatever you like, obviously, and you do. All I did was make the point that you must be a different kind of a fan than I am, or in fact most everyone else here, if you actually "hate" STH. That's all I was saying.

Thankfully for me, STH can still make me feel good even after many decades. Too bad for you that the song gives you such a "hateful" reaction.

Cheers

Hate is a very strong word, for sure.

I'd say it's used predominantly by children, who have yet to develop a sophistication of either vocabulary or spirit. It's also used quite frequently by agitated women during altercations with their loved ones. In either case, it is usually used lazily or insincerely.

As Electrophile is not a child, I think we must assume that she genuinely hates the song. Either that, or she is locked into an endless inner maelstrom of conflicting emotions concerning STH. Perhaps she genuinely likes the song, but is troubled by the backwards messages. Maybe the 'little tool-shed' bit holds a deep and dark resonance for her. Who knows.

In any event, she is almost certainly unique amongst LZ fans in hating STH, if in fact she truly does.

Edited by bouillon

There are certainly a few on that list I don't care for, namely, Hot Dog and Carouselambra.

And there is the occasional odd cog that doesn't like a particular bands big or biggest song. For instance, hating

Brown Sugar - The Rolling Stones

Another Brick in the Wall - Pink Floyd

Hotel California - The Eagles

Hey Jude - The Beatles

or even something like this, which truly does suck

I think it's also like telling your mom that you hate her most served meal.

Thanks for everything mom. :rolleyes:

IMO, I think these eleven throw away songs grouped together would make a better LP than most other bands have released. I guess thats what makes Zeppelin the greatist.

I wholeheartedly agree. Not everything Led Zeppelin created was great, but the majority of it was. And like you said, even their weaker songs (there aren't many) are better than anything most other bands could make.

As for me, I'm not a fan of anything on In Through The Outdoor (just a personal opinion since I know there are a lot of people on these forums who like that LP). There are also some one-offs that I dislike, namely The Crunge.

Funny you should mention Another Brick In The Wall. I loathe that song. God damn it's awful. The insipid lyrics, the disco drums......Pink Floyd did about a zillion times better work than that. Not even Gilmour's solo at the end saved it.

Something we used to sing all those years ago.

We dont need no education

We dont need no thought control

No dark sarcasm in the class room

Hey Fella, leave them tits alone

All in all your just a-nother prick from Millwall

Regards, Danny

Edited by BIGDAN

Why the fuck is Fool in the Rain on there?

Why? Because as a LZ fan of 37 years' standing, I assessed it as being one of the band's eleven least successful songs - one of many potential candidates from their least successful album by far. What's more, three people agree with me. So my selection has been vindicated, as it is currently in joint 5th place. IMO, it should be in the top (i.e. bottom) two, along with Carouselambra.

It's very tempting to be unspeakably cruel about FITR. So here goes: the lameness of the riff, Plant's whining-dog vocals, the ghastly Mexican car-jam interlude, Page's unlistenable and directionless solo, and that fucking whistle. Only Bonzo emerges from the debacle with any credit. But if I had to sum it up, I'd just say it's the kind of thing you'd expect to find on a bad Santana album. And it would probably be the worst track on there, too.

But I don't hate it.

All in all your just a-nother prick from Millwall

'Lectro hates me, 'Lectro hates me

'Lectro hates me, I don't care

I am Stairway, super Stairway

I am Stairway, from North Wa-els

:P

(sung to the tune of 'Sailing', for the benefit of our non-football-hooligan brethren)

Edited by bouillon

'Lectro hates me, 'Lectro hates me

'Lectro hates me, I don't care

I am Stairway, super Stairway

I am Stairway, from North Wa-els

:P

(sung to the tune of 'Sailing', for the benefit of our non-football-hooligan brethren)

BRAVO. :bravo:

Regards, Danny

• 1 month later...

fool in the rain is one of their best songs, it shows zeppelins "spread". the drumming is killer, the singing spectacular, and the samba break to die for. the guitar synth solo is low-fi but fits the song. what's not to like? if i'm at a stop light and the whistle blows, the rules in my car is everbody out and samba until the breaks over or the lights change. true story...

I wish I had seen this when it was posted. Beatbo is a forum member whose opinion I respect. I just can't get into this song, to me it drags, it doesn't rock, guitar is almost nonexistent except for the nondescript solo.

Now how many people hate Black Dog? Which to me is the guitar army in full force, a bulldozer of a song which just mows down everything in its path, another song which you may think you are sick of, but if you take time to listen to it carefully, you will realize is a masterpiece.

• 3 months later...

Why the fuck is Fool in the Rain on there?

No kiddin, huh. I'm really surprised that Carouelambra is on there too. That's gotta be one of their most innovative, risky, unexpected yet moving songs. It could have been better mixed with the vocals, but the song itself is driving and mysterious. I posted a thread "In through the out door". On it, I put up the lyrics to this song...unbelievable.